ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP. One day early

I remember watching it live on TV with my Dad. I was 11 at the time. The spot in Fulton County Stadium where the ball went over the fence is now a parking lot. There is a section of fence and wall with a big 715 on display. I saw it in 2017 when we parked there to take the shuttle to The Tour Championship.

Reactions: kevin310
images.jpg

Reactions: colt21 and Bob78
Today is April 8th. On this day in 1974, Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run to pass Babe Ruth for first all-time. NEVER. FORGET. :eek:

Yes he did. When I was growing up
Aaron was my favorite player and one of my friends was a big Willie Mays fan. We constantly argued about which of them could beat Ruth’s record. Watched #715 in my college dorm room on a TV with rabbit ears. About 10 minutes after he hit it someone said there was a call for me on the hall phone. Sure enough it was my pal who was attending another college calling with congratulations. I am biased of course because he was my childhood idol, but Aaron was the greatest player I ever saw. His accomplishments which are numerous came during what I believe was the golden age of baseball—after the color barrier was broken but before the competition was watered down by so many teams. Aaron also did this despite significant racism
and death threats in the numerous hate mail he received (he stayed in separate hotels from where the rest of the team stayed for security reasons as he got close to the record). The Hammer also is one of the most dignified and classy persons you could ever meet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT