ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Lundy to return to PSU

Odd how most seem to be in the least challenging majors which typically don't give them many options for lucrative employment, don't you think?
Exactly! People need to understand that there’s two ways to attend college. One is simply having the final objective of obtaining a degree; a degree in anything. The other, is attending with the final objective of obtaining a degree that is marketable. Not all college degrees are markable for employment.

Reactions: bdgan
Odd how most seem to be in the least challenging majors which typically don't give them many options for lucrative employment, don't you think?

From my perspective, if someone is better equipped to be a contributing member of society as the result of time spent at a university, it's a success. Using "lucrative" as a measure is simply elitist.

From my perspective, if someone is better equipped to be a contributing member of society as the result of time spent at a university, it's a success. Using "lucrative" as a measure is simply elitist.
Nice use of the word elite. Kinda cute. Lucrative means many things, but at the core it's just a way to state a job that pays reasonably well such that you (with help from your spouse) will be able to support yourself and your family. I guess you think only the "Elite" should be able to support themselves?

Real life is not that simple. You’re ignoring every individual life that was involved at the time when you generalize like that. The circumstances surrounding 2011-2012 were much more complicated than what happened with this basketball team this past year.
Yeah, the football players had a much much more legit reason to leave, yet most chose to tough it out.

Reactions: MacNit07
Nice use of the word elite. Kinda cute. Lucrative means many things, but at the core it's just a way to state a job that pays reasonably well such that you (with help from your spouse) will be able to support yourself and your family. I guess you think only the "Elite" should be able to support themselves?

The basic definition of "lucrative" is producing a lot of money. One does not have to have a lucrative career to be able to support oneself or one's family.

What percentage of football and basketball players would have gained admittance to the UP campus as freshmen without being really good at football or basketball? I’d hope they aren’t majoring in pre-med or Physics or whatever unless they’d be able to handle that workload while also playing a D1 sport (something that the strongest of students would struggle at).

What percentage of football and basketball players would have gained admittance to the UP campus as freshmen without being really good at football or basketball? I’d hope they aren’t majoring in pre-med or Physics or whatever unless they’d be able to handle that workload while also playing a D1 sport (something that the strongest of students would struggle at).

In the good old days, the NCAA published the average SAT score for each school's incoming recruiting class (usually for football; basketball classes being typically small, it was impossible toi maintain any semblance of anonymity). Funny, how that disappeared.

To your question, as we're dealing with small numbers it's easy for estimates to be wildly off. Over time, I'd guess 5%, maybe.

If a kid wants his degree, he can get it, assuming that the school(s) he attend(s) share that objective.
Yes, but unfortunately a lot of these kids are here for basketball more than for an education. That's OK if they can make a living in basketball but most can't.

Of course I'm old school. I think college sports should be played by college students.

Reactions: Choochburg and Ski
Yes, but unfortunately a lot of these kids are here for basketball more than for an education. That's OK if they can make a living in basketball but most can't.

Of course I'm old school. I think college sports should be played by college students.

That's always been true. How do liberalized transfer rules change anything?

As for being "old school" you'd probably have to go back to the founding of the original colleges at Oxford and Cambridge to find a time when colleges sports were played exclusively by college students.

Now, if only Harrar comes back as well we will be able to build up our hopes just high enough to have them decimated next season come February/March. As we do.

Reactions: bdgan
That's always been true. How do liberalized transfer rules change anything?
A kid transferring doesn't mean his credits transfer or that the new school even offers the same major. He has to learn his way around campus while also learning about his new coaches, teammates, and playbook. Not easy.

A kid transferring doesn't mean his credits transfer or that the new school even offers the same major. He has to learn his way around campus while also learning about his new coaches, teammates, and playbook. Not easy.

And you think that a kid interested in getting a degree doesn't consider those factors? Or maybe they should be able to sleepwalk and do it? Or maybe the school to which he intends to transfer should provide him with an assessment of his academic status before he completes his paper work. Novel concept, that.

Reactions: manatree
Giving a kid an easier way to exercise another option doesn’t set him/her up to fail at a higher rate by itself. It’s the kid’s choice. The sort of second-order effect gets a little more interesting - where a kid gets pushed closer to the door because superior players can more easily transfer in. You could go so far as to assume a superior transfer in is less likely to need to rely on a degree than the kid being urged to move on.

You would think a chance to play right away would appeal to both transfers and freshmen

True, but so does this situation one is potentially entering. If there isn't much of a team to transfer into, the opportunities for success, personally and collectively, aren't as high.

You would think a chance to play right away would appeal to both transfers and freshmen
It depends on what you are transferring for -- more PT or to experience the dance. Seniors, such as Wheeler, are not interested so much in a gauranteed starting job as they are experiencing the dance.

It depends on what you are transferring for -- more PT or to experience the dance. Seniors, such as Wheeler, are not interested so much in a gauranteed starting job as they are experiencing the dance.
So he doesn’t want to lead a team to the dance, he wants to ride someone else’s coattails to the dance...got it.

Two possible Senior grad transfer 4/5's to replace Harrar if he does not return, or possibly compliment him.... It would seem that ideally Coach Shrew may be able find a 4/5 with 2 years of eligibility going forward. Should be an interesting off season.

Two possible Senior grad transfer 4/5's to replace Harrar if he does not return, or possibly compliment him.... It would seem that ideally Coach Shrew may be able find a 4/5 with 2 years of eligibility going forward. Should be an interesting off season.

Don't know how much I can respect an article that has dread listed as a power forward and Kyle McCloskey listed as a point guard.

As Penn Staters, we have no business being elitist. Folks should know that by now.

Don't know how much I can respect an article that has dread listed as a power forward and Kyle McCloskey listed as a point guard.
You're right; they're just column-space fillers. Writer takes a look at PSU's roster and thinks he can identify the needs. Then hed looks at the transfer portal and guesses who can fill the slots. Knows nothing about the players. Knows nothing about what Coach Shrews is thinking or who he's targettng.

At this point are the only key transfer losses Wheeler and Jones?

Harrar I think is still on the fence?

Next year should be a decent year especially if Shrewsberry is the real deal and incoming players can make an impact.

“Hard times” comparison....cmon
Right, it was harder for the 2012 guys to stay, yet most did. This is not exactly hard times for the bball players, but they’re bailing any way....exactly my point. Character vs lack of character.

How do you know that's the case with Wheeler?

I thought we had at least one recruit coming who was pretty good? Maybe that was for the next year?
That was with the last staff. Micah has not offered him (EHE) yet bc he is not familiar with him or has scouted him. His stock has also gone down. There's a chance we extend an offer, but not as of right now.

Realize he took his recommitment tweet down, and still has his decommitted tweet pinned: https://mobile.twitter.com/elijahheverett8?lang=en

Last edited:
Right, it was harder for the 2012 guys to stay, yet most did. This is not exactly hard times for the bball players, but they’re bailing any way....exactly my point. Character vs lack of character.
It’s Penn St football, tradition, defending a legends honor and making sure the program doesn’t go under...and it’s 2012 before portal was a big thing.....vs PSU hoops. There, I spelled it out for you, it’s nowhere near the same situation. Look around the country, these kids are leaving all over the place, even elite programs. Adjust with the times and stop thinking these kids aren’t being loyal to the school that fired two of their coaches and didn’t want to start over with a third in 2 years for a bad program.

imagine thinking a guy like John Harrar wasn’t loyal to PSU and didn’t give the program everything he had for four years. Get over your feelings. Harrar loves PSU, go check his Twitter. Get a grip!

It’s Penn St football, tradition, defending a legends honor and making sure the program doesn’t go under...and it’s 2012 before portal was a big thing.....vs PSU hoops. There, I spelled it out for you, it’s nowhere near the same situation. Look around the country, these kids are leaving all over the place, even elite programs. Adjust with the times and stop thinking these kids aren’t being loyal to the school that fired two of their coaches and didn’t want to start over with a third in 2 years for a bad program.

imagine thinking a guy like John Harrar wasn’t loyal to PSU and didn’t give the program everything he had for four years. Get over your feelings. Harrar loves PSU, go check his Twitter. Get a grip!
I love my wife, I guess I should leave her...that will show her how much I really care. Give me a break. Remember, these guys chose to come to play for PSU hoops where they got the opportunity to play and get better, then they bailed. Sorry, I’m not going to get over my feelings....the 2012 football players faced much worse because even though it was the storied football program, at that point it was the stained football program and those players had to put up with a lot of crap for playing for Ped State.....the bball program will never be that low.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT