ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Lebron's comments concerning Erin Popovich's passing

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is LeBron's relationship/connection to Popovich (or her family)? Was Gregg his coach at some point? I don't get it - what is his reaction supposed to be like?
I don't know of them ever, formally, playing with each other. It wouldn't have been an all star game because the east west thing. Or the Olympics. I just think they know each other through various NBA events and stuff.

Reactions: BBrown
It would be almost impossible to (1) have been thrust into the national spotlight at the age Lebron was, (2) be the greatest basketball player of 15 years running, and (3) arguably be the best of all time, and handle yourself any better than Lebron has. It's unbelievable he'd be attacked personally given how incredible he's been as a role model.
I think a lot of people made up their mind after the "decision". I admit that it turned me off to Lebron at the time, but I got past it years ago. Funny how hard it is for people to let go of their position on people/topics once they make up their mind.
Plus, he is going to look really good playing with Simmons and Embid next year!!

Again, I like Lebron. But I connote "ethics" with morals and frankly I don't have any idea if his morals are good or bad. I think like many great athletes he is a prima donna who gets ridiculous special treatment from his employers. The blame for that is really on the teams more so than him. But allowing his friends to travel on the team plane when no other player on the team gets that "perk" is wrong IMO. I don't Iike that if he does not like a coach the coach may be fired and don't like his personal attacks on individuals who have different political or social views than him and don't care for his preaching on social issues. With all that said, not at all saying he is a bad guy. But I do believe in some respects he is devisive and I think the media enables that by anointing him as some sort of righteous social warrior. I have no issue with any of his social views but wish he did not act as if anyone who has differing views is a terrible human being.

You could have saved a bunch of time by just saying you just don't agree with his politics.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It would be almost impossible to (1) have been thrust into the national spotlight at the age Lebron was, (2) be the greatest basketball player of 15 years running, and (3) arguably be the best of all time, and handle yourself any better than Lebron has. It's unbelievable he'd be attacked personally given how incredible he's been as a role model.

^^This^^
giphy.gif

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is LeBron's relationship/connection to Popovich (or her family)? Was Gregg his coach at some point? I don't get it - what is his reaction supposed to be like?

Not sure about ever coaching Lebron, possibly on the 2016 Olympic team?
But he and Pop do seem to have a genuine like for each other. They were pretty chatty with each other during and after the 2007 Championship Year.
They always seem to very cordial after games.

Not sure about ever coaching Lebron, possibly on the 2016 Olympic team?
But he and Pop do seem to have a genuine like for each other. They were pretty chatty with each other during and after the 2007 Championship Year.
They always seem to very cordial after games.

I saw the headline too and just sort of wondered what the expectation was. Like most I was down on James for his 'decision' but I always felt he handled himself otherwise in a really dignified manner and isn't the type to get caught off guard with a question or say something irresponsible. This seems like much ado about nothing...

I saw the headline too and just sort of wondered what the expectation was. Like most I was down on James for his 'decision' but I always felt he handled himself otherwise in a really dignified manner and isn't the type to get caught off guard with a question or say something irresponsible. This seems like much ado about nothing...

I took his "clarification" as coming to the defense of the reporter. Maybe I have it wrong, but I thought people were saying it was wrong of the sideline reporter to blindside him with that question right after the game, and he was defending her by saying that she warned him in advance.

You could have saved a bunch of time by just saying you just don't agree with his politics.
Has nothing to do with politics. How does getting coaches fired or receiving special treatment form his employer relate to politics? IMO calling people names when you disagree with their views on social issues is also not political though some may disagree.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT