ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Lebron's comments concerning Erin Popovich's passing

lionroar88

May 29, 2001
Ijamsville, MD
So I log into the computer this morning to take care of some business and the first thing on MSN's newsfeed is an article about how Lebron 'clarifies his comments about Erin Popovich's passing'. WTF is wrong with people? I watched the video and it is clear as day that he was torn up about it, clearly holding back tears and deep emotions. Many are saying he was blindsided by the question, I didn't see that at all (and he has said as such). I'm not a huge Lebron fan, but he handled himself very professionally in this instance.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Apparently, the sideline reporter notified him off camera, before the interview, and asked if would be OK to ask him about it on camera and he said OK. However, I have not seen Lebron's interview, so I don't know his actual reaction.

Apparently, the sideline reporter notified him off camera, before the interview, and asked if would be OK to ask him about it on camera and he said OK. However, I have not seen Lebron's interview, so I don't know his actual reaction.
if that is the case, he's a pretty good actor, because he seemed shocked....uttering "oh $hit" and taking a moment to gather himself. Perhaps she asked if she could ask a personal question without the detail. IDK, but if she didn't give him a heads up, I thought it was kind of bush league. If she gave him a heads up, he clearly wanted to look like he was surprised.

Love James or hate him, he's been a great guy with a great sense of ethics. He's been awesome in his messaging about the importance of taking responsibility for your kids. I'd go to war with the guy in a heartbeat.

if that is the case, he's a pretty good actor, because he seemed shocked....uttering "oh $hit" and taking a moment to gather himself. Perhaps she asked if she could ask a personal question without the detail. IDK, but if she didn't give him a heads up, I thought it was kind of bush league. If she gave him a heads up, he clearly wanted to look like he was surprised.

Love James or hate him, he's been a great guy with a great sense of ethics. He's been awesome in his messaging about the importance of taking responsibility for your kids. I'd go to war with the guy in a heartbeat.
Agree with everything you said except for use of the word "ethics". I like Lebron but he is a guy who is a media darling and can do no wrong in their eyes, even when it is right in front of them to see.

Agree with everything you said except for use of the word "ethics". I like Lebron but he is a guy who is a media darling and can do no wrong in their eyes, even when it is right in front of them to see.
what is wrong with LBJ's ethics?

I think there is room for argument that he is difficult to play with. He is demanding and can be disruptive for other players, but I don't know anything that is wrong with his ethics. And, i certainly wouldn't call him a "media darling". He gets a ton of flack.

Reactions: wbcincy and BBrown

I think there is room for argument that he is difficult to play with. He is demanding and can be disruptive for other players, but I don't know anything that is wrong with his ethics. And, i certainly wouldn't call him a "media darling". He gets a ton of flack.
Again, I like Lebron. But I connote "ethics" with morals and frankly I don't have any idea if his morals are good or bad. I think like many great athletes he is a prima donna who gets ridiculous special treatment from his employers. The blame for that is really on the teams more so than him. But allowing his friends to travel on the team plane when no other player on the team gets that "perk" is wrong IMO. I don't Iike that if he does not like a coach the coach may be fired and don't like his personal attacks on individuals who have different political or social views than him and don't care for his preaching on social issues. With all that said, not at all saying he is a bad guy. But I do believe in some respects he is devisive and I think the media enables that by anointing him as some sort of righteous social warrior. I have no issue with any of his social views but wish he did not act as if anyone who has differing views is a terrible human being.

Reactions: Obliviax
So James said it was cleared, that LaForce told him she was going to ask that question. Allie used to be the Cavs sideline reporter on FoxSportsNet so she and James go way back, before she got the gig with CBS.

James said that he got emotional, once she asked, and it hit him.

f48922b0f0dd5c8c56d7474998e598c1.jpg

I am not sure how anyone could hate Lebron. He seems like a solid dude and someone who has always remembered where he came from.

I wanted to not like him after the whole ESPN melodrama about going to Miami, but besides that, he is a good man.

LOL, do you ever listen to the ass hat that is Skip Bayless? he absolutes hates Lebron. Which just makes me like Lebron even more.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
No, I listened to Bayless once or twice and that was all it took for me to recognize he is a knucklehead!

Yea he's a grade a douche bag and it didn't start at ESPN it goes back to his days at the Dallas Morning News. He hated anything that wasn't SWC at that time.
Him getting on ESPN just made it 100x worse to the point where he thought he actually mattered. :rolleyes:

If the wife of a little known coach had passed away, I don't think sideline reporters would be seeking Bron's comments. Bron and other activist players love Popovich because of his anti-Trump rants. The media seeks out drama and conflict and Popovich provides that.

Reactions: MtNittany
If the wife of a little known coach had passed away, I don't think sideline reporters would be seeking Bron's comments. Bron and other activist players love Popovich because of his anti-Trump rants. The media seeks out drama and conflict and Popovich provides that.

Little Known coach? Maybe to you but not to anyone that follows sports or especially Pro-Bball.
I think your post says more about you than it does Lebron of Pop or even the media (this time).

Can you blame Lebron if his ownership and management let him get away with more? This recently came to a head here in New England with Tom Brady’s personal health consultant now banished from team flights by Belichick. It’s human nature to take what is given. Of course he’s going to let his friends fly with him if they allow it. You think he doesn’t get asked 100x a day for favors like that from friends and family? Lebron hasn’t ever been in the news for being a jackass in life that I can think of. He can be passive aggressive in the locker room, but the guy has kept his nose clean and tries to be a voice in the civil rights arena.

Overall, he’s probably stuck to his roots more than say MJ, who never really got into civic or social justice matters that I can remember. I’m down with LBJ.

Again, I like Lebron. But I connote "ethics" with morals and frankly I don't have any idea if his morals are good or bad. I think like many great athletes he is a prima donna who gets ridiculous special treatment from his employers. The blame for that is really on the teams more so than him. But allowing his friends to travel on the team plane when no other player on the team gets that "perk" is wrong IMO. I don't Iike that if he does not like a coach the coach may be fired and don't like his personal attacks on individuals who have different political or social views than him and don't care for his preaching on social issues. With all that said, not at all saying he is a bad guy. But I do believe in some respects he is devisive and I think the media enables that by anointing him as some sort of righteous social warrior. I have no issue with any of his social views but wish he did not act as if anyone who has differing views is a terrible human being.
Not expressing too much of an opinion, but yes, if your definition of good ethics is equated with good "morals", then he is ethics are average at best for a big time athlete.

Can you blame Lebron if his ownership and management let him get away with more? This recently came to a head here in New England with Tom Brady’s personal health consultant now banished from team flights by Belichick. It’s human nature to take what is given. Of course he’s going to let his friends fly with him if they allow it. You think he doesn’t get asked 100x a day for favors like that from friends and family? Lebron hasn’t ever been in the news for being a jackass in life that I can think of. He can be passive aggressive in the locker room, but the guy has kept his nose clean and tries to be a voice in the civil rights arena.

Overall, he’s probably stuck to his roots more than say MJ, who never really got into civic or social justice matters that I can remember. I’m down with LBJ.
Lebron appears to be 10x the man Jordan is. The stories of his ahole conduct in DC while out and about when he was with the Wizards are legendary

I watched the postgame TV interview that Lebron gave and, for the life of me, I cannot understand why there is any issue at all here. He was clearly a bit stunned by the news, as was just about everybody else. He made some gracious and sensitive comments about Pop and his family. Some people dislike Pop because of his political views and/or his outspoken nature. I get that, but the poor guy's wife just died.

Reactions: BBrown

Could not agree more when it comes to Lebron's ethics. He is a good person.

Well said!

Again, I agree Lebron is a good man and I don't question that. The use of "ethics" is what I not necessarily on board with. I personally don't care for celebrities who hold themselves up as a paragon of decency and are intolerant of the views of others and IMO Lebron is guilty of that. No more so than a lot of others in this world but because he is a superstar his comments on issues are given greater weight. I simply think Lebron should recognize that at least half the people who come to watch him play and cheer for him have views on social issues he (Lebron) finds repugnant. Because I do believe he is a decent guy I think if he recognized that it might help him to appear more tolerant of others, i.e., the 50%+ who attend his games and love him.

Lebron appears to be 10x the man Jordan is. The stories of his ahole conduct in DC while out and about when he was with the Wizards are legendary
Knew them both through work, not even close and at different times in careers. Jordan is winner, he was an ass because it's tough when you have the highest standards and work ethic on the planet, for those around you and yourself, but you enter an ownership position with a team that is complacent and fine being average. Now, you can say he shouldn't of entered into it, but he certainly is not an ahole.

Reactions: Obliviax

and people bitched about MJ NOT getting involved in civic or social justice matters. Its a no win situation for these guys.

He said “if the wife of a little known coach” - meaning not GP’s wife

Ok I see where I misunderstood that part of his post, although INMO its still oddly phrased. But he's right the media probably would not have brought it up.
I still disagree about the rest of his post though, there was no reason to bring Lebron's or Pop's politics into it. Politics aside I think they are genuinely fond of each other.

I watched the postgame TV interview that Lebron gave and, for the life of me, I cannot understand why there is any issue at all here. He was clearly a bit stunned by the news, as was just about everybody else. He made some gracious and sensitive comments about Pop and his family. Some people dislike Pop because of his political views and/or his outspoken nature. I get that, but the poor guy's wife just died.

+100. We are so far down the rabbit hole with social media, TV, Radio and people having to have an opinion about everything and feeling the need to share it with the world we may never crawl back. SMH.
In this case a person can't even share their grief or offer condolences without someone getting their panties in a wad.
Sad.

Again, I agree Lebron is a good man and I don't question that. The use of "ethics" is what I not necessarily on board with. I personally don't care for celebrities who hold themselves up as a paragon of decency and are intolerant of the views of others and IMO Lebron is guilty of that. No more so than a lot of others in this world but because he is a superstar his comments on issues are given greater weight. I simply think Lebron should recognize that at least half the people who come to watch him play and cheer for him have views on social issues he (Lebron) finds repugnant. Because I do believe he is a decent guy I think if he recognized that it might help him to appear more tolerant of others, i.e., the 50%+ who attend his games and love him.
Lebron is on the side of tolerance. It's the other side that is bigotted, and wants to blame all our problems on immigrants.

You probably celebrate every time white cops murder an African American. Enjoy your cross burning tonight.
LOL...my wife is a defense attorney and has at least two (that I know of) suits against police departments.

But you just keep on believing YOU are the only one who has a monopoly on what is right and just.

ImperturbableOnlyBee-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: wbcincy
LOL...my wife is a defense attorney and has at least two (that I know of) suits against police departments.

But you just keep on believing YOU are the only one who has a monopoly on what is right and just.

What website did she purchase her degree from?

What website did she purchase her degree from?
well, you actually have pass this lawyerly test regardless of where you graduated from (BTW, she has two PhDs, two of her graduate degrees are from top 50 schools). Keep going though....

Reactions: wbcincy

This thread is quirky, you start off complimenting the guy, "great guy", "ethical", and you get thrown under the bus. It's so hard to follow, I almost think parts of the thread have been deleted.

This thread is quirky, you start off complimenting the guy, "great guy", "ethical", and you get thrown under the bus. It's so hard to follow, I almost think parts of the thread have been deleted.
LOL...so true...

It would be almost impossible to (1) have been thrust into the national spotlight at the age Lebron was, (2) be the greatest basketball player of 15 years running, and (3) arguably be the best of all time, and handle yourself any better than Lebron has. It's unbelievable he'd be attacked personally given how incredible he's been as a role model.

Reactions: BBrown and Obliviax
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is LeBron's relationship/connection to Popovich (or her family)? Was Gregg his coach at some point? I don't get it - what is his reaction supposed to be like?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT