ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Jay Paterno novel

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
I’m not sure if this was already discussed in the “What are you reading?” thread (I did not wade through every page of that), but I finished Jay Paterno’s new novel this past weekend.

For those who are unaware this is a fictional account that follows an Ohio State head coach who is on the hot seat following a couple of “sub-standard” seasons and some recruiting misses. It focuses less on game action and more on off the field issues, ranging from recruiting to coaching rumors to player injuries to player personal lives interfering with school/team to locker room dynamics.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read. I think Jay is a good writer although I thought parts of the book suffered from perspective issues: it is primarily written from the first person (the coach) perspective, but occasionally seems to stray into omniscience for the narrator. Minor point.

Jay has said in interviews that while the book is fiction, the incidents in it are either fictionalized versions of things he was involved with, or had knowledge of. Some of these were pretty interesting to me. There are also some thinly veiled PSU references that folks might enjoy.

Some things I thought were interesting, especially if they are based in fact (not necessarily at PSU). I guess some of these could be considered spoilers:

• Coaches specifically scheduling off season workouts for Friday early AM to try to discourage players from going out Thursday night (which is a big party night) to keep them out of trouble.
  • Encouraging players to have parties at a designated residence (player’s house) to keep them out of the bars.
  • Allowing a Florida State booster to make a payment to a recruit’s church in order to steer the recruit to OSU so he wouldn’t go to Florida (the recruit had already ruled out FSU).
  • Bad Big Ten officiating definitely comes up.
  • A player who allows himself to be indicted on a misdemeanor assault charge even though he was innocent because the actual assailant was his friend from high school who had prior convictions. He told the coach this and accepted a suspension from the team to protect his friend.
Some references that are either obviously PSU related or (somewhat) subtle references:

• Scoring a late TD on a pass play during a blowout where the QB audibled to a pass play when the coach was trying to run out the clock (refers to the Rutgers game where McQueary scored late)
  • References to assistant coaches sexting with undergrads/dating undergrads (possibly also a McQueary reference)
  • A university employee who has it out for the football program and goes on a rampage against the team, including grossly exceeding her job description. The character’s initials are VT. No chance this isn’t Vicky Triponey.
And of course, the following exchange:

“…you better stick to University policy” (regarding an alleged rape by a player)

“Are you sure? That didn’t work out so well for Joe Paterno. He followed school policy to the letter of the law and got fired for it.”

Didn't JVP date (and marry) an undergrad? Although I'm willing to bet he wasn't the one sexting.
He did (although they may have married shortly after she graduated). But he doesn't know how to download peanut butter, so sexting was unlikely.

Reactions: bdgan
I didn't go to Penn State but I can confirm early morning off season workouts. Ours were Saturday morning at 6:00am. It was easy to tell the guys that went out Friday night by who was puking after the first five minutes.

I saw Jay on the Obligatory Penn State Tailgate Show, which I didn't know existed and I was happy to watch. The book is interesting, because the coach is on the hot seat and will get fired if he doesn't turn around the program's performance, so Jay explores different enticements that may cross a coach's mind. Like, maybe the under-the-table payment to the top recruit, or ignoring medical advice to sit a star player. I'm sure Jay is drawing on what he knows is going on around college football, but certainly doesn't name names.

I’m not sure if this was already discussed in the “What are you reading?” thread (I did not wade through every page of that), but I finished Jay Paterno’s new novel this past weekend.

For those who are unaware this is a fictional account that follows an Ohio State head coach who is on the hot seat following a couple of “sub-standard” seasons and some recruiting misses. It focuses less on game action and more on off the field issues, ranging from recruiting to coaching rumors to player injuries to player personal lives interfering with school/team to locker room dynamics.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read. I think Jay is a good writer although I thought parts of the book suffered from perspective issues: it is primarily written from the first person (the coach) perspective, but occasionally seems to stray into omniscience for the narrator. Minor point.

Jay has said in interviews that while the book is fiction, the incidents in it are either fictionalized versions of things he was involved with, or had knowledge of. Some of these were pretty interesting to me. There are also some thinly veiled PSU references that folks might enjoy.

Some things I thought were interesting, especially if they are based in fact (not necessarily at PSU). I guess some of these could be considered spoilers:

• Coaches specifically scheduling off season workouts for Friday early AM to try to discourage players from going out Thursday night (which is a big party night) to keep them out of trouble.
  • Encouraging players to have parties at a designated residence (player’s house) to keep them out of the bars.
  • Allowing a Florida State booster to make a payment to a recruit’s church in order to steer the recruit to OSU so he wouldn’t go to Florida (the recruit had already ruled out FSU).
  • A player who allows himself to be indicted on a misdemeanor assault charge even though he was innocent because the actual assailant was his friend from high school who had prior convictions. He told the coach this and accepted a suspension from the team to protect his friend.
Some references that are either obviously PSU related or (somewhat) subtle references:

• Scoring a late TD on a pass play during a blowout where the QB audibled to a pass play when the coach was trying to run out the clock (refers to the Rutgers game where McQueary scored late)
  • References to assistant coaches sexting with undergrads/dating undergrads (possibly also a McQueary reference)
  • A university employee who has it out for the football program and goes on a rampage against the team, including grossly exceeding her job description. The character’s initials are VT. No chance this isn’t Vicky Triponey.

“…you better stick to University policy” (regarding an alleged rape by a player)

“Are you sure? That didn’t work out so well for Joe Paterno. He followed school policy to the letter of the law and got fired for it.”
There was this about a month ago

I wrote a short story (as an assignment) about an 7th and 8th grade basketball coach when I was in 7th grade. The teacher was merciful and gave me a C+. I also did a book report on Bobby Murcer and she corrected the title w/ red ink. She assumed it was spelled Mercer.

Last edited:

Thank you for this post - thorough and helpful. I’ll check it out.

I added a link for those who might be looking for it. I see it's free to download with Kindle Unlimited if you have that.

Link to book on Amazon

Jay paterno novel? Is that what they used to call a “dime”
Novel”?

I wrote a short story (as an assignment) about an 7th and 8th grade basketball coach when I was in 7th grade. The teacher was merciful and gave me a C+. I also did a book report on Bobby Murcer and she corrected the title w/ red ink. She assumed it was spelled Mercer.

In 8th grade English class, we had an assignment to write a newspaper article on a topic of our choice. I all but copied word-for-word entire paragraphs from a Sports Illustrated article on Joe Theisman at Notre Dame, and got a low B on it. I was an A student. The teacher had no clue that it was semi-plagiarized; she wasn't a sports fan. She just thought the writing was sub-par! It was one of the few times I didn't mind getting a less than stellar grade - I thought it was hilarious.

Reactions: MtNittany

Does it include a section of a recruiting coordinator forgetting about the weekend a recruit is to be on campus? Or the coache’s son being gifted a job?

Does it include a section of a recruiting coordinator forgetting about the weekend a recruit is to be on campus? Or the coache’s son being gifted a job?

Or an Assistant Coach who was assigned Ohio as his recruiting territory and then never visited the State of Ohio to recruit players.

Not to hi-jack this thread. But the book I would love to see finally written is the one Tom Bradley hinted about years ago.... I remember watching an interview with Tom Bradley. This was maybe 1 or 2 years after we lost out on Terrell Pryor. The interviewer asked Bradley about now having to face Pryor the next 3-4 seasons, and losing out on Pryor after putting so much work into him. ... Remember, back then Bradley was our lead recruiter for the WPIAL and he spear-headed the recruitment of Pryor..... Anyhow, after the interviewer asked Bradley that question, Tom took a good 2-3 second pause to collect himself ... then he finally answered (to paraphrase) "One day when I'm retired, I'm going to write a book about all my experiences in recruiting". It was a major hint that what went on with Pryor's recruitment did not exactly sit well with Bradley.

Chances are he never goes thru with it. His remark was in a moment & time the subject still rubbed him and he is probably well over it by now. But gheez, would I love to see Bradley write such a book.

Rashard Casey?
That was my thought as well. There was also a plot point where the coaches know more information about what actually happened than the media and stand by the player even thought they are getting heavy criticism in the press (which also reminded me of Casey).

Reactions: Bob78 and psu7113
Not to hi-jack this thread. But the book I would love to see finally written is the one Tom Bradley hinted about years ago.... I remember watching an interview with Tom Bradley. This was maybe 1 or 2 years after we lost out on Terrell Pryor. The interviewer asked Bradley about now having to face Pryor the next 3-4 seasons, and losing out on Pryor after putting so much work into him. ... Remember, back then Bradley was our lead recruiter for the WPIAL and he spear-headed the recruitment of Pryor..... Anyhow, after the interviewer asked Bradley that question, Tom took a good 2-3 second pause to collect himself ... then he finally answered (to paraphrase) "One day when I'm retired, I'm going to write a book about all my experiences in recruiting". It was a major hint that what went on with Pryor's recruitment did not exactly sit well with Bradley.

Chances are he never goes thru with it. His remark was in a moment & time the subject still rubbed him and he is probably well over it by now. But gheez, would I love to see Bradley write such a book.
By the time he retires, which probably isn't a long time from now, there's a good chance that all of the recruiting violations he'll be writing about will be now legal.

ADVERTISEMENT