ADVERTISEMENT

[SIAP] Hackenberg already decided on agent for 2016 Draft

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132327/christian-hackenberg

Pauline probably does not have a good source on this but come on. After getting sacked 10 times in the opener I would start thinking of an agent too. I don't blame. I really thought before the year he might come back because i expected them to be really good, but this offensive strategy made that impossible. He won't be a first rounder anymore unless Bill O'brien takes him, which is the best thing that could happen for Christian.

I still think he'll be a first rounder. Scouts say stats in college don't even matter for qbs (source SI). Even in other positions people move up or down multiple rounds based only on combine performance. I'm sure he has a hefty insurance policy on himself this year in case he gets injured before the draft as well.

Pauline probably does not have a good source on this but come on. After getting sacked 10 times in the opener I would start thinking of an agent too. I don't blame. I really thought before the year he might come back because i expected them to be really good, but this offensive strategy made that impossible. He won't be a first rounder anymore unless Bill O'brien takes him, which is the best thing that could happen for Christian.
Don't know anything about Pauline other than he's not impressed with Hack..."the most overrated prospect in the nation"...ouch. IF the guy is right...Hackenberg has already decided on an agent...then he had one foot out the door before the season began. Makes it easier to yank him if he continues to struggle.

If this year continues the way it is going, he might have to transfer to Bama and sit a year. I feel bad for Hack. O'Brien had him on track, he stays through all the turmoil, and it looks like this coaching staff has him messed up. Then again he does great at all the camps.

Reactions: m.knox
I don't think staying another year would dramatically increase his stock because I doubt our offensive line will be all that much better. His staying at Penn State, rather than transferring was a boost to our program, but I think it was a poor decision for him personally. He seems like a good kid and I hope he realizes his dream.

If he decided on an agent already- after just 1 week then he was out the door before the season began. Hopefully he just decided but didn't sign with any agent or he'd be done at PSU.

With this news, and the horrid O line, if Hacks inaccurate throws and poor play continue then serious thought has to be given to get the backup qb some serious work in games this year.

Yeah if he has already moved the process forward, it's time to move the offense's development forward by getting McSorley some action.

Hack was our beloved recruit but it's not working out for obvious reasons. He is gone in a year anyway. CJF is going to be here longer than that.

We as fans want to see a winner. If going to a mobile QB (even with Hack on the roster) is going to put more points on the board then I'm all for that. No single player is above PSU and if his heart isn't in it, he needs to be given the hook.

I still think he'll be a first rounder. Scouts say stats in college don't even matter for qbs (source SI). Even in other positions people move up or down multiple rounds based only on combine performance. I'm sure he has a hefty insurance policy on himself this year in case he gets injured before the draft as well.

As the saying goes, "from your mouth to God's ear" in regards to what you "still think".....the term "wet dream" comes to mind....

Yeah if he has already moved the process forward, it's time to move the offense's development forward by getting McSorley some action.

Hack was our beloved recruit but it's not working out for obvious reasons. He is gone in a year anyway. CJF is going to be here longer than that.

We as fans want to see a winner. If going to a mobile QB (even with Hack on the roster) is going to put more points on the board then I'm all for that. No single player is above PSU and if his heart isn't in it, he needs to be given the hook.

I hate our fan base.. Amazing how everyone is for him when we are winning, but when things aren't going well, lets bench him, screw him, he isn't a Penn Stater.

Like I said, I am 100% behind Hack for this season, his future decision, and will be rooting for him in the NFL he is pure class. He has been through alot in his few years at PSU and now the fan base his turning on him.

Disgusting!

I hate our fan base.. Amazing how everyone is for him when we are winning, but when things aren't going well, lets bench him, screw him, he isn't a Penn Stater.

Like I said, I am 100% behind Hack for this season, his future decision, and will be rooting for him in the NFL he is pure class. He has been through alot in his few years at PSU and now the fan base his turning on him.

Disgusting!

If the guy has one foot out the door and is looking forward to the end of the semester then he clearly isn't "in it". I don't know about you, but as someone who spends thousands of dollars annually on PSU football (parking, seats, donations, etc) its easy to feel as though my money and time is being wasted.

Reactions: gslachta
As the saying goes, "from your mouth to God's ear" in regards to what you "still think".....the term "wet dream" comes to mind....

I'm not invested in it, I just know scouts see beyond whats going on at psu. We'll see if be is 1st round material or not later. I believe he will be drafted first round. That being said, Trent Richardson was first round material also and he's bagging groceries 2 years later.

If the guy has one foot out the door and is looking forward to the end of the semester then he clearly isn't "in it". I don't know about you, but for someone who spends thousands of dollars

So it's not about standing by Hack, its about you spending your money?

And I am sure Hack is into it! He is just going to make the choice everyone thinks and knew he should/was going to make. The kid is 100% all class.

Reactions: m48tank
So it's not about standing by Hack, its about you spending your money?

And I am sure Hack is into it! He is just going to make the choice everyone thinks and knew he should/was going to make. The kid is 100% all class.

Hey man if mediocrity floats your boat that's your issue.

But that said I never said I faulted hack. Franklin ruined him and I'm not naive to that by any means. But we're stuck with Franklin a lot longer than hack and it doesn't make sense for the good of the PROGRAM to sit around and waste time catering to one person.

Disgusting!

Really? I'm rooting for PSU like I always do and I hope they play whoever gives us the best chance of winning, period. Why are we supposed to care about your "prima donna" agendas and how does you rooting for a single player rather than the entire team even remotely make you a better "PSU fan" than others when the reality is that you, by your own definition, aren't a "PSU fan" whatsoever, you're a Christian Hackenberg fan more than a PSU fan - whoopee-ding-dong for you. You and the other CH apologists and excuse-makers are some strange birds in your need to try to characterize yourselves as "PSU fans" when you are nothing of the kind.

Reactions: jim cummings
Hey man if mediocrity floats your boat that's your issue.

But that said I never said I faulted hack. Franklin ruined him and I'm not naive to that by any means. But we're stuck with Franklin a lot longer than hack and it doesn't make sense for the good of the PROGRAM to sit around and waste time catering to one person.

Franklin ruined him??? FLO left the team in a condition with OL who had no hope of SUSTAINING a block for more than a couple seconds (and ZERO depth on the OL too boot!!). You're out of your mind if you think Franklin has the ability to make the OL he inherited into NFL caliber OL by waving a magic wand - LMFAO. FLO left Franklin with a starting QB who could only play with perfect protection on every play and not even enough OL to field enough players to practice!!! But according to dip$hits like you that's Franklin's fault and not good 'ole self-interested FLO????

Franklin ruined him??? FLO left the team in a condition with OL who had no hope of SUSTAINING a block for more than a couple seconds (and ZERO depth on the OL too boot!!). You're out of your mind if you think Franklin has the ability to make the OL he inherited into NFL caliber OL by waving a magic wand - LMFAO. FLO left Franklin with a starting QB who could only play with perfect protection on every play and not even enough OL to field enough players to practice!!! But according to dip$hits like you that's Franklin's fault and not good 'ole self-interested FLO????

Dipshit? SMD dude.

The system (created by Franklin) is a snoozer, and shows no ability to adapt to the teams strengths.

You have 3 receivers within 5 yards of eachother 2 yards short of the sticks, 3 lineman blocking 1 guy, 2 blocking another while another 2-3 defenders shoot through the gaping holes created by the scheme, which has been proven to be easily exploited. That's on the head coach.

Franklin may not have ruined him personally, but he sure isn't doing him any favors with his scheming.

Dipshit? SMD dude.

The system (created by Franklin) is a snoozer, and shows no ability to adapt to the teams strengths.

You have 3 receivers within 5 yards of eachother 2 yards short of the sticks, 3 lineman blocking 1 guy, 2 blocking another while another 2-3 defenders shoot through the gaping holes created by the scheme, which has been proven to be easily exploited. That's on the head coach.

Franklin may not have ruined him personally, but he sure isn't doing him any favors with his scheming.

Yea, and FLO didn't do CH, any of his teammates or Franklin any favors with his "recruiting" and what he left behind on the 2013 roster especially in regards to OL and LBs - Franklin didn't even have enough OL to run Spring Practice in 2012-2013 so he had to convert scrub DL, who weren't seeing any game action, to OL just so they could practice! (the 2 DL converted never had any hope of ever actually playing in a game at OL - they were converted just so the team could conduct practice! Trying thinking about that for a moment genius as to who did who "no favors" including the players left behind by this self-inerested douche-bag.).

Sad to see this thread degenerate into name calling. I love this kid for sticking by his commitment to Old State, plus he has serious physical talent. But the pro game calls for QB's who have the entire package. I have yet to see the kind of consistent accuracy and mental focus (both in play calling, reads, knowing when to throw it away or take off running) and leadership that he needs to have to succeed in the pros. I hope the OL continues to improve, and that he stays at PSU long enough to demonstrate these qualities.

Yea, and FLO didn't do CH, any of his teammates or Franklin any favors with his "recruiting" and what he left behind on the 2013 roster especially in regards to OL and LBs - Franklin didn't even have enough OL to run Spring Practice in 2012-2013 so he had to convert scrub DL, who weren't seeing any game action, to OL just so they could practice! (the 2 DL converted never had any hope of ever actually playing in a game at OL - they were converted just so the team could conduct practice! Trying thinking about that for a moment genius as to who did who "no favors" including the players left behind by this self-inerested douche-bag.).

I don't like bill the same as you. But the offensive coaching is night and day between the 2 staffs.
I get that FLO, as you call him, left nothing. I'm aware that Franklin came in with nothing.

Hackenburg needs better coaching at his position, but the people around him need better coaching all the same.

Having 3 wideout sets constantly, with all of them stopping in the same area has nothing to do with the offensive line. It's thia BS scheme.

Put 5 wides on the field and Gesicki and the defense now has to account for the extra people going down field, which naturally will alleviate the O-line.

When teams line up 8 in the box and you're doing nothing more than bunching people and bringing them in tight to run some shitty route to the same area, never taking advantages of TE/LB mismatches over the middle, you get what we currently have. A Charlie foxtrot.

It doesn't take a genius to understand that stretching the field takes the heat off of the interior. And agin, that is on this coaching staff.

I don't like bill the same as you. But the offensive coaching is night and day between the 2 staffs.
I get that FLO, as you call him, left nothing. I'm aware that Franklin came in with nothing.

Hackenburg needs better coaching at his position, but the people around him need better coaching all the same.

Having 3 wideout sets constantly, with all of them stopping in the same area has nothing to do with the offensive line. It's thia BS scheme.

Put 5 wides on the field and Gesicki and the defense now has to account for the extra people going down field, which naturally will alleviate the O-line.

When teams line up 8 in the box and you're doing nothing more than bunching people and bringing them in tight to run some shitty route to the same area, never taking advantages of TE/LB mismatches over the middle, you get what we currently have. A Charlie foxtrot.

It doesn't take a genius to understand that stretching the field takes the heat off of the interior. And agin, that is on this coaching staff.

The fact that you believe CH could run a spread offense and create time for himself by moving in the pocket....keep the defense honest by running QB draws......make the hot read and get the ball out quickly....etc... tells me everything I need to know. You are seriously delusional if you think PSU's offensive production would go up simply by spreading he field with receivers and letting CH's decision-making, play-making ability, decision-makng ability and quick release break down the defense....that or you just simply haven't been watching CH even when he's been given good protection -- he possesses none of the qualities to be successful under the type of schemes you are promoting, the DIAMETRIC OPPOSITE in fact.

But hey, I know you know more than all the coaches in regards to all this stuff which is why you're on a message board telling us how bad a DI-A staff with long resumes and highly compensated is??? Clearly however, you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night though....good grief some of you people are amusing.

Disgusting!
Hack seems like a good kid and, from all we've heard, comes from a very solid family. Nobody challenges that, or that he may yet turn things around this year...maybe starting tomorrow. That said, this program can't afford another crappy season with the loss of program momentum and, in all likelihood, the tanking of this recruiting class. Just can't. So...if Hack can't get it together with the team as it's now constituted, James will have to go in another direction...there's too much at stake not to.

The fact that you believe CH could run a spread offense and create time for himself by moving in the pocket....keep the defense honest by running QB draws......make the hot read and get the ball out quickly....etc... tells me everything I need to know. You are seriously delusional if you think PSU's offensive production would go up simply by spreading he field with receivers and letting CH's decision-making, play-making ability, decision-makng ability and quick release break down the defense....that or you just simply haven't been watching CH even when he's been given good protection -- he possesses none of the qualities to be successful under the type of schemes you are promoting, the DIAMETRIC OPPOSITE in fact.

But hey, I know you know more than all the coaches in regards to all this stuff which is why you're on a message board telling us how bad a DI-A staff with long resumes and highly compensated is??? Clearly however, you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night though....good grief some of you people are amusing.
Histrionics aside, you have a pretty good point here, Bushwood. Hack's strengths do not currently include making the hot read and getting the ball out quickly. What this team could really use right now is a QB like Marriota, a guy who is both fleet afoot and good at making reads and executing quickly. Or even just a QB who is fleet afoot.

Disgusting!

Everyone sure was with him when he committed to PSU in the face of unprecedented sanctions. That commitment alone helped keep the program afloat long term.

If the guy has one foot out the door and is looking forward to the end of the semester then he clearly isn't "in it". I don't know about you, but as someone who spends thousands of dollars annually on PSU football (parking, seats, donations, etc) its easy to feel as though my money and time is being wasted.
Maybe you shouldn't "waste" all your $$ on watching 19 year old kids play a sport then

Reactions: Hotshoe

Never said it would be a guaranteed increase in production. I'm simply implying that it may buy an extra half second of time which can only help. Not to mention it would be a different wrinkle, because you know, CJF is creative.

What you seem to be implying is that this staffs hands are tied because of an incompetent QB and a weak, moronic offensive line. Therefore, it is what it is. That's BS.

This staff with this long resume shows an inability to make adjustments.

You on the other hand show the inability to have a discussion without some kind of cheap personal shot at the end of your CJF stroke-off argument. Do you have insecurity issues?

Maybe you shouldn't "waste" all your $$ on watching 19 year old kids play a sport then

Did that make you feel better? Apparently you're unaware that ticket sales and donations go toward the funding of scholarships, the facilities, etc... If you want to pay for a Cadillac but drive off the lot in a Geo Prism then have at it.

I guess asking for a competent system is too much to ask for.

When senior PSU students accept job offers, do you suggest that they be tossed from their classes because they're no longer "in it" and have one foot out the door? What absolutely absurd logic.

Disgusting!
The fan base turning so quickly on Hack can only add to his motivation to get out of town.

Reactions: h8ru
I'd wager that the real culprit(s) in the "who's to blame" debate are not either of the coaches or their staffs. The REAL people to blame are Marc emmert, Ed ray, and the entire 11/11 BoT. If the "leaders" at our university had done their jobs rather than settle old vendettas and/or cover their own asses, we wouldn't be in anywhere near the predicament our current situation offers.

Not to be a wet blanket, but wouldnt deciding on an agent imply that he or someone from his camp has been talking to agents which would render him ineligible.

I know I might be going out on a limb there, but it is not out of the realm of possibilty

Not to be a wet blanket, but wouldnt deciding on an agent imply that he or someone from his camp has been talking to agents which would render him ineligible.

I know I might be going out on a limb there, but it is not out of the realm of possibilty
demauroj: I think he has to sign a contract with an agent in order to render himself ineligible.

When senior PSU students accept job offers, do you suggest that they be tossed from their classes because they're no longer "in it" and have one foot out the door? What absolutely absurd logic.

What? That's a terrible example and makes no sense whatsoever.

So what you're saying is that for no reason whatsoever should hack be pulled.. Am I wrong?

demauroj: I think he has to sign a contract with an agent in order to render himself ineligible.

Fair enough ....like I said probably a reach.

If this was at Rutgers that would have been the Headline in the paper in NJ. Followed by an article looking for his dismissal

The fan base turning so quickly on Hack can only add to his motivation to get out of town.

So now the fan base is running hack out of town..

If his body language was any indicator, I'd say his motivation to get out of town started when he was force fed a BS offense last year.

What? That's a terrible example and makes no sense whatsoever.

So what you're saying is that for no reason whatsoever should hack be pulled.. Am I wrong?

Go back and read your comment I replied to. What you suggest here is utter nonsense and has nothing to do with what you said that I replied to. Frankly I'm clueless how anything I said could make you in turn say "so what you're saying is that for no reason whatsoever should hack be pulled." Please for the love of God show me how what I said can even remotely be paraphrased as what you suggested,

I don't get all of the uptight opinions here.

There are 3 options

1) CJF and Co. set their egos aside and come up with a gameplan that fits the QBs skillset.

2) Hack needs to suck it up and make the best of the situation (looking ahead to 7 months from now isn't making the best of the current situation).

3) make a change in personnel.

At some point a line has been drawn. I'm getting shot at from all direactions from people that think everything is just fine, to people defending the staff and blaming it on the QB, to people telling me that I should take my money elsewhere.

Am I missing something?

The bottom line is if hack has one foot out the door he's hurting the whole team.

Go back and read your comment I replied to. What you suggest here is utter nonsense and has nothing to do with what you said that I replied to. Frankly I'm clueless how anything I said could make you in turn say "so what you're saying is that for no reason whatsoever should hack be pulled." Please for the love of God show me how what I said can even remotely be paraphrased as what you suggested,

ok, no. A senior who has one foot out the door should not be kicked out of class. Why? Because the decisions of that senior to slack off has no bearing whatsoever on anyone else other than his or herself. If you don't show up to class, the other 29 or so people's lives go on.

The negative decisions of your QB can have negative effect on 10 other guys.

Yes, Hack got sacked 10 times.
Yes, our Ol is bad.... very bad.

But let's also be honest and point out that Hack missed some very wide open receivers. Missing wide open receivers are drive killers. They are basically the same as a turnover or a penalty in their ability to stall out a drive. A big time D1 QB simply does not miss those throws. Our first drive was stalled when we had a Receiver bubble screen set up very nicely. It was well timed, the receiver was open, the play was set up and looked like the receiver would have easily made some huge yardage down the Temple sideline. But Hack fires the ball way low, into the ground at the receivers feet. Result = settling for FG instead of a possible TD.

Later in game one of our receivers breaks behind the Temple defense and is a good 5-10 yards past his nearest defender. It should have been a very easy 30 yard chuck and catch for an easy TD. Instead Hack fires the ball a good 5 yards too long for a killer incompletion. Result = another punt.

Right there we potentially took 11 points off the board on what should have been VERY easy completions for about 99% of D1 quarterbacks.

Reactions: psu00
I don't think staying another year would dramatically increase his stock because I doubt our offensive line will be all that much better. His staying at Penn State, rather than transferring was a boost to our program, but I think it was a poor decision for him personally. He seems like a good kid and I hope he realizes his dream.

Me too!

Reactions: fairgambit
In another thread the last few days I suggested that Hack looks like he is trying to play safe and protect himself physically. He isn't trying to make the play and expose himself in the face of a rusher, he just goes down nice and easy. I also said that this is killing his draft stock. I thought it looked like he is playing as if he and his family heard the draft talk, didn't believe in our OL, and had a conversation before the season about protecting his draft stock by protecting himself. That's how you take 10 sacks without attempting to break a tackle or throw the ball away last second.

Fellow Penn State fans called me delusional and that Hack protecting his stock was a fantasy. Now it comes out that he HAD already decided on an agent.

I will go back to his draft stock. It has to be plummeting. What GM wants a leader with no heart? What franchise wants a QB that will take 10 sacks? I understand if he wants to protect himself physically but he is killing the golden goose.

Also, to address some thoughts of those in this thread. Hack was a Penn State hero for sticking to his commitment in a time of crisis. Our current system does not maximize his skillset. He is not developing, actually regressing. But if he is playing soft, then hero or not, he needs run out of town. That is not fair to the entire TEAM. Last I checked it is a team game. There is a ton of talent on the roster that won't get their shot at the next level if some prima donna QB is going into safe mode and taking 10 easy sacks instead of trying to extend a play or get rid of it on a read with someone bearing down on him.

So I think, either we see Hack play like the HERO he chose to be a couple of years ago until he leaves or we bench the COWARD that he was in game 1 trying to not get hurt. If he plays to win and regain his draft stock while actually LEADING the team then that is best for the TEAM and him in the long run. If he wants to not get hurt, that is best accommodated on the BENCH.

It is Hack's choice. Who does he want to be? What is his legacy? When he looks in the mirror 20 years from now, who does he want to see?

Reactions: jim cummings
ADVERTISEMENT