ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP/FC: A. Lubrano's email to Eric Barron re: JVP not recognized among best-ever coaches by SI

Bob78

Jul 5, 2001
Have not seen this posted here after being posted 3 days ago on Facebook, so apologies if a repeat.
Copying (in Italics) an Aug. 15 post by Anthony Lubrano @lubrano on Facebook (yes, I know... it's an SI list/article, but still):

I sent Eric Barron this email tonight. Copied were Mark Dambly, Matt Schuyler, Jake Corman. Al Lord and Bob Capretto (the latter two because of their undying love for Joe and PSU and because I served with them on the BOT.

Today at 7:54 pm

Eric-

Guess who is not on this list?

https://www.si.com/…/best-coaches-college-football-history-…

The guy won two national titles and went undefeated 4 other times (which is essentially 6 National titles)—won more Bowls than anyone, won more games than anyone, never went on probation, graduated his players, forced instant replay on college football and oh yeah was the first guy to win all 5 major bowls —Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Rose and Fiesta and accumulated a record of 14-5 in those major bowl games. But sure he isn’t one of the top ten guys of all time.....and you know why he's not on that list?

Because of your cowardice.

Congratulations.

Anthony

And, in a LOL irony that is so fitting of Dambly's lack of self-awareness:

Here is Mark Dambly’s response:

Anthony, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that does not entitle you to be rude and inconsiderate to President Baron. Frankly, I am not interested in hearing from you if this is the manner in which you intend on communicating. It is not becoming of a mature adult.

I think some of the responses were written by our fellow BWI posters!

I probably would not have thought of it as cowardice, as Anthony stated. My first thought regarding Nov. 2011 has always been lack of true leadership in the face of a crisis or adversity and not being able to look longer-term than the short news cycle they were being swamped with.

But now that time has gone on, and that they won't say in public what they know and say in private, it really is more than lack of leadership, imo. It is a real cowardice that makes them shy away from the tough questions and challenges that they will get if they publicly advocate for Joe.... even when they have the proof and the answers to stand up to them! And even moreso, when they are unlikely to suffer any real penalty for doing so. Might even get people to notice how brave they are to (try to) finally correct the narrative.

As it stands, in this case, cowardice and lack of leadership go hand-in-hand.

Have not seen this posted here after being posted 3 days ago on Facebook, so apologies if a repeat.
Copying (in Italics) an Aug. 15 post by Anthony Lubrano @lubrano on Facebook (yes, I know... it's an SI list/article, but still):

I sent Eric Barron this email tonight. Copied were Mark Dambly, Matt Schuyler, Jake Corman. Al Lord and Bob Capretto (the latter two because of their undying love for Joe and PSU and because I served with them on the BOT.

Eric-

The guy won two national titles and went undefeated 4 other times (which is essentially 6 National titles)—won more Bowls than anyone, won more games than anyone, never went on probation, graduated his players, forced instant replay on college football and oh yeah was the first guy to win all 5 major bowls —Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Rose and Fiesta and accumulated a record of 14-5 in those major bowl games. But sure he isn’t one of the top ten guys of all time.....and you know why he's not on that list?

Congratulations.

Anthony

Anthony, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that does not entitle you to be rude and inconsiderate to President Baron. Frankly, I am not interested in hearing from you if this is the manner in which you intend on communicating. It is not becoming of a mature adult.

Truer words were never said! Bravo Anthony!!

Eric-

Congratulations.

Anthony

This is great, but SI doesn't get a pass for being too p*ssy to put Joe on a list he absolutely deserves to be on. What did they have to say for themselves??

For anyone who cares, their list...

10. Bowden
9. Stagg
8. Robinson
7. Hayes
6. Wilkinson
5. Warner
4. Osborne
3. Rockne
2. Saban
1. Bryant

10. Bowden
9. Stagg
8. Robinson
7. Hayes
6. Wilkinson
5. Warner
4. Osborne
3. Rockne
2. Saban
1. Bryant

That SI could put Bowden on this list and exclude Joe speaks volumes about what they value in a person. Obviously winning (even though Joe won more than all of them) trumps educating, turning boys into upstanding men and preparing them for life beyond football. It’s representative of what is valued in society today. And I guess Woody gets a pass for whacking that player.
And we have the culture problem.

I’m actually glad he’s not on their list, it shows Joe in a class all by himself, which he is.

That SI could put Bowden on this list and exclude Joe speaks volumes about what they value in a person. Obviously winning (even though Joe won more than all of them) trumps educating, turning boys into upstanding men and preparing them for life beyond football. It’s representative of what is valued in society today. And I guess Woody gets a pass for whacking that player.
And we have the culture problem.

10. Bowden
9. Stagg
8. Robinson
7. Hayes
6. Wilkinson
5. Warner
4. Osborne
3. Rockne
2. Saban
1. Bryant

An argument could be made to put him anywhere on this list, but in no way shape or form could you put him below #7...

Reactions: Bob78
A big zero......on the seat of his pants.
As my father and his fellow Bataan prisoners ordered to stand every morning view the raising of the Japanese flag.......
I believe my dad called it "the raising of the flaming a$$hole"

Came to mind when you mentioned the target on that bastards' a$$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fizz1 and Bob78
Bravo, Anthony.

Time to start calling these cowards and hypocrites out publicly, including SI. Osborne and Bowden ran rogue programs. Hayes was a reprehensible human being.

They certainly are cowards and hypocrites.

Hayes probably has a bad rap with other teams' fans based almost solely on his infamous 1978 'slugging an opposing playert' incident vs. Clemson in the Gator Bowl. And that was a very bad incident, caught live on national TV, no arguing that he lost his cool to an extreme - even for him, given his legendary on-field temper. No fact-freeh investigation needed there.

But it is important to know that Hayes was largely beloved by his players, much as Joe was by his. Hayes nearly convinced Matt Suhey to go to Ohio State based on how much Matt respected him. Apparently, Hayes kept a huge rolodex on his desk and would pick out a couple of former players to call randomly to check up on them and their families. Just as Joe was known for recalling players' families names and keeping up with important events, Hayes apparently did the same. The life lessons were very important to Hayes, as they were to Joe and most any other coach who "gets it".

I have no issue with Hayes as a coach and person. He embarrassed himself with that punch, but his entire body of work is not overshadowed by that to any real extent, imo. I'd probably leave him in over one or two others on the list based on the program he ran.

Last edited:

Hayes probably has a bad rap with other teams' fans based almost solely on his infamous 1978 'slugging an opposing playert' incident vs. Clemson in the Gator Bowl. And that was a very bad incident, caught live on national TV, no arguing that he lost his cool to an extreme - even for him, given his legendary on-field temper. No fact-freeh investigation needed there.

But it is important to know that Hayes was largely beloved by his players, much as Joe was by his. Hayes nearly convinced Matt Suhey to go to Ohio State based on how much Matt respected him. Apparently, Hayes kept a huge rolodex on his desk and would pick out a couple of former players to call randomly to check up on them and their families. Just as Joe was known for recalling players' families names and keeping up with important events, Hayes apparently did the same. The life lessons were very important to Hayes, as they were to Joe and most any other coach who "gets it".

I have no issue with Hayes as a coach and person. He embarrassed himself with that punch, but his entire body of work is not overshadowed by that to any real extent, imo. I'd probably leave him in over one or two others on the list based on the program he ran.
He embarrassed himself in many more ways than slugging players. Including on the field - check his bowl record: pathetic.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I agree coach Hayes made one major mistake but his body of work speaks volumes.

Aside from winning a shit-ton, no one did more positive things for the game and the students around him than Joe. Most others on a legit top-ten list also carry some (legitimate) baggage, leaving a mixed legacy. Joe carries none. End of story.

The feature was written by Laken Litman at Sports Illustrated, a young writer who previously covered Notre Dame football.

https://lakenlitman.com/about-me/

And here is how you can reach me: litman.laken@gmail.com.
This article just set women writing in the sports world back 30 years. If you write a list about the top 10 college football coaches ever and you don’t have Joe Paterno on the list you’re either 1) too dumb to be a writer or 2) a female that knows absolutely nothing about college sports and should stick to knitting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT