ADVERTISEMENT

[SIAP] Farmer moving back to Safety

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
I think there is more to this than we will know for some time. I am not sure what to make of it. I always thought with his speed he should be back there and could be really good back there. At this point though you have to say were the other LB options that much better or the other Safety options not good enough? I also wonder if it was actually at his request, which we'll probably never know.

It's possible we're much deeper at LB than at safety. He might be one of those guys they want to get on the field with his athleticism. He might be able to get on the field quicker at safety than LB.

Surprising to me, since Shoop said we are thinnest at LB. And that was with Farmer there. We barely have a 2-deep at LB at we can easily put 3 deep at S with all the DBs we have.

I think there is more to this than we will know for some time. I am not sure what to make of it. I always thought with his speed he should be back there and could be really good back there. At this point though you have to say were the other LB options that much better or the other Safety options not good enough? I also wonder if it was actually at his request, which we'll probably never know.

Franklin just spoke about this. Not sure if I can post that or not(another board).. also lots of other really interesting news(at least to me and it's not Kane related) regarding what freshman will probably be playing and some of the other battles.

Reactions: bmw199
Franklin just spoke about this. Not sure if I can post that or not(another board).. also lots of other really interesting news(at least to me and it's not Kane related) regarding what freshman will probably be playing and some of the other battles.
I saw some of it on twitter so I think it's ok to post.

Edit: the interviewer posted it all on twitter.

"On Farmer to safety: "we had a need at field LB last year. We have a need right now at safety. We need a fifth guy.""

I call BS on this. So either they want to RS Monroe or they aren't high on Golden. Or as I was trying to subtly say in the OP this is what Farmer wanted.

"On Farmer to safety: "we had a need at field LB last year. We have a need right now at safety. We need a fifth guy.""

I call BS on this. So either they want to RS Monroe or they aren't high on Golden. Or as I was trying to subtly say in the OP this is what Farmer wanted.

He also said farmer struggled in the box and this may not be permanent.

Not high on Golden. They also tried to move Amani O. to Safety but that did not take.

Surprising to me, since Shoop said we are thinnest at LB. And that was with Farmer there. We barely have a 2-deep at LB at we can easily put 3 deep at S with all the DBs we have.

Who is your second and third team safeties?

Didn't Gerald Hodges start at safety and move to LB? Perhaps same course for Koa.

I believe Shoop said Apke and Amani O. Also have Golden at other S. Plus the three FR with Miller, Monroe, and Petrsihen. This is not my opnion. Shoop responded to a question on the BTN about which position was he most concerned about and he said LB. He was happy with starters but said we were searching for depth. Hard to believee moved somebody from that position. We need to remain healthy there.

Farmer seems like the type of athlete whose natural ability warrants playing time in some way, shape or form. Maybe the staff thought that with the thin depth at LB it would be the easiest path to get him on the field. Maybe they found that Farmer just wasn't adapting to the position in a way that was using his abilities to the fullest or he wasn't putting on the right kind of weight to be the type of LB they're looking for, and they switched him back to his more natural safety position. Either way, I'd expect Farmer to be more of a special teams impact player this year anyway, but I could see him creeping into the two deep at safety as he shakes off the cobwebs - the kid seems to have all the athletic ability and intelligence that you could ask for.

With Farmer moving back to safety, should CJF making it a priority for recruiting another LB in this class and back off on the safety prospects?

IMHO sounds like Farmer wasn't quite making the grade at LB. Maybe he's not quite physical enough?

Also the first team nickel package had Golden as the 5th DB per the reporters who watched practice a week or so ago.

Farmer is supposed to be primary kickoff returner but barring injuries I doubt he will play much D this year.

Football is changing very quickly. Soon an OLB will look very much like what we think a SS is, and a FS will be a more like a CB as throwing the ball becomes even more prevalent. Farmer (or whoever is playing that position) will be 220ish, can run with TE's and has ball skills, but can still tackle (a bit anyway).

Reactions: step.eng69
I believe Shoop said Apke and Amani O. Also have Golden at other S. Plus the three FR with Miller, Monroe, and Petrsihen. This is not my opnion. Shoop responded to a question on the BTN about which position was he most concerned about and he said LB. He was happy with starters but said we were searching for depth. Hard to believee moved somebody from that position. We need to remain healthy there.

Didn't Franklin say they were looking for a 5th S?

Did you see Golden last year vs Umass?

I don't see how they can count Amani O since they moved him back to CB. As I remember they tried him at S in the spring and it did not workout. That leaves Allen, LUcas and Apke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT