ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Did generations of greatness celebration omit Paterno??

TenerHallTerror

Oct 18, 2016
I wasn't at the game, but I have seen several social media posts saying Joe was omitted from the Generations of Greatness celebration.

true?

Reactions: denniskembala
How could this be? He led this program to greatness for 46 seasons. Say it ain't so.

I wasn't at the game, but I have seen several social media posts saying Joe was omitted from the Generations of Greatness celebration.

true?

They actually didn't even play the usual video that gives us a couple of quick shots of him, the one where the stadium audibly lets out big cheers upon seeing him. Only Penn State could make a big production out of celebrating the past, and purposely omit the man most responsible for the successes of that past. Not that it surprised me, though.

They didn't mention any other coach either.
Nor did they mention any player with the exception of Jack Ham who was the honorary captain. I love Joe as much as the next person but Generations of Greatness was never meant to honor any one coach/player. Wasn't it Joe's philosophy to not single out one person for the success of the team?

I don't recall seeing any coaches in the videos on Saturday. Of course, Joe should have been part of it, but it seems that all coaches were left out. That was, I'm sure, part of the plan. "They won't be able to attack us for ignoring Joe because we didn't show any coaches."

I don't recall seeing any coaches in the videos on Saturday. Of course, Joe should have been part of it, but it seems that all coaches were left out. That was, I'm sure, part of the plan. "They won't be able to attack us for ignoring Joe because we didn't show any coaches."
Franklin at the very end of the video holding the Big Ten trophy

Reactions: Osprey Lion

true?

To be honest, outside of the unis, retro music, which really sounded like the same songs they play anyway and the cheerleader unis there wasn't much else involved.
They may have left out Joe but then I didn't see any mention of Rip or any other coaches or players. Much ado about nothing. INMO.

This wasn't about honoring the past on anything. This was a marketing ploy to get a new uniform and that's it.

Gen of G was nothing more than favorite jesery day or All U day. Sorry that all it was ever ment to be.

Reactions: gogolion
I was there for the first time in 12 years. I saw nothing of Paterno anywhere at the stadium. You know, it's not politically correct, they need to be sensitive to the feelings of others. It's BS. He is the big reason for all of that and nothing. As much as I love PSU, I am still disgusted by the BOT and admin for trying to just sweep it away and not fight back.

I was there for the first time in 12 years. I saw nothing of Paterno anywhere at the stadium. You know, it's not politically correct, they need to be sensitive to the feelings of others. It's BS. He is the big reason for all of that and nothing. As much as I love PSU, I am still disgusted by the BOT and admin for trying to just sweep it away and not fight back.

+1.

The most disgusting thing aside from the crookedness, is the total failure to defend Paterno and the University. Inexcusable.

Turds.

The student athletes are the reason we have generations of greatness to celebrate. Not Joe Paterno, James franklin or anyone else. People act like he was Gepetto. All those kids deserve the credit.
Except for the losses, then it was his fault.

The student athletes are the reason we have generations of greatness to celebrate. Not Joe Paterno, James franklin or anyone else. People act like he was Gepetto. All those kids deserve the credit.

Well that's just as silly as saying it was ALL Paterno. His leadership was an important part our history, as were the contributions of the student athletes. You can't separate the two.

What a dumb post. Without Paterno and Franklin, etc most of those student athletes would be celebrating generations of greatness elsewhere....if they were celebrating at all.

A valid point. Very easy to shift the discussion from generations of greatness to “Joe knew”. Why not just celebrate generations of amazing student athletes? Everyone is so worried about Joe having his day when do the kids have theirs ?

Sorry....with out the prior coaches (not just Paterno) there would be no "athletes". Without the best athletes, there would be no great coaches.

PSU was a podunk college in the fields of central PA before Rip and Joe. The stadium, for example, was around 57,000 when Joe took over. Today, its around 109,000. It is hard to find a university who so benefited from their football program than PSU. If you don't recognize how important Paterno has been to PSU you are a fool.

Of course you would be because you don’t know you a$$ from a hole in the ground

EVERYTHING PSU is can be tied back to Joe - I know that bothers you but it is who we are

If you ever spoke with, or heard, JoePa about 'Success with Honor' he would say it started with Rip Engle who was a huge influence on JoePa and the reason he stayed on to coach at PSU as an assistant vs going into law. So it would seem the roots were sown by Rip Engle, fertilized and cultivated by JoePa, and the torch passed and carried on by B'OB and Franklin has taken it up and is running with it held as high as ever.

I know people will bash B'OB but he had a very important role to play in all this, he is the bridge that spanned a legend and our torch bearer... and yes Zordich and Mauti played loyal leaders and field marshals behind their general.

I've said it a thousand times... if you think JoePa knew, then you are an uninformed, ignorant, idiot.

If you ever spoke with, or heard, JoePa about 'Success with Honor' he would say it started with Rip Engle who was a huge influence on JoePa and the reason he stayed on to coach at PSU as an assistant vs going into law. So it would seem the roots were sown by Rip Engle, fertilized and cultivated by JoePa, and the torch passed and carried on by B'OB and Franklin has taken it up and is running with it held as high as ever.

I know people will bash B'OB but he had a very important role to play in all this, he is the bridge that spanned a legend and our torch bearer... and yes Zordich and Mauti played loyal leaders and field marshals behind their general.

I've said it a thousand times... if you think JoePa knew, then you are an uninformed, ignorant, idiot.
Totally agree...good post.

Reactions: lionroar88
Oh look, a second a$$ has shown up. Almost as if no cue . . .
People who hate coaches because they didn't win enough to satisfy their stupid egos are among the lowest life forms on earth. When the shoe fits they have to wear it. That's my opinion.

Reactions: 91Joe95

Geez, f*ck you. Can you think in more than dimension at the same time? Is it inconceivable to you to honor both the players and the coaches?

Joe is not a reason why we have generations of greatness? Stop being a dumbshit.

One thing we can count on..... Our BOT and current University wide Admin will be 100% ball-less 100% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT