ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Akron Akron Akron (and Other PSU Foes)

NittanyLionFan

Jul 25, 2001
Media, PA
I see that Akron won the MAC East last night and is sitting at 7-5. Who would'a thunk that the W over Akron would be "better" than the W over Pitt in some ways? Looking at opponents including Maryland, Penn State's opponents have a combined 73-58 record through Tuesday evening (with 9 of those losses to Penn State). Not too shabby. There are as many as seven "extra" wins that opponents could pick up (i.e., excluding two common opponents playing one another and including the B1G CG).

Akron 7-5 Won MAC East (MAC Championship game vs. NIU or Toledo)
Pitt 4-7 (vs. Miami)
Georgia State 6-3 t1st in Sun Belt (vs. App St, Idaho; vs. No. 17 Memphis cancelled)
@Iowa 6-5 (vs. Nebraska - common opponent)
Indiana 5-6 (vs. Purdue)
@Northwestern 8-3 2nd in B1G West (vs. Illinois)
Michigan 8-3 (vs. Ohio St - common opponent)
@Ohio St 9-2 (vs. Michigan - common opponent)
@Michigan St 8-3 (vs. Rutgres - common opponent)
Rutgres 4-7 (vs. Michigan St - common opponent)
Nebraska 4-7 (vs. Iowa - common opponent)
@Maryland 4-7 (vs. Penn St)
73-58

I can't believe I'm saying this but I would be ok with Pitt beating Miami on Friday. Pitt isn't going to go to a bowl game so thy might as well beat Miami so 2 ACC teams do not get into the playoffs.
Miami heading up north for the first time this season and looking ahead to Clemson? Don't see them losing, but Pitt could make it interesting.

Who knows how much of an impact Pitt’s “tarp out” will have on the game.

And Miami’s “turnover chain” could be awfully cold on Friday.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
I can't believe I'm saying this but I would be ok with Pitt beating Miami on Friday. Pitt isn't going to go to a bowl game so thy might as well beat Miami so 2 ACC teams do not get into the playoffs.

I think the ACC championship will be treated as a playoff game; I don't think the ACC has enough cache with the committee to get a second team. At this point, I would be very surprised if Alabama doesn't make it. If they lose the Iron Bowl, they get the tOSU treatment and make the playoff without playing in the SEC title game. If they beat Auburn, but lose the SEC championship, I still they are in over a one loss Oklahoma with a shaky defense or Wisconsin (assuming they win the B10) who has been treated like an ugly stepchild all year.

ADVERTISEMENT