ADVERTISEMENT

SI: Saban should coach the Packers

Eh, he won't do it. He's in his 60s and has it made at BAMA.

Now Jim Harbaugh to the Pack on the other hand - man, if the East division lost Meyer and Harbaugh in the same offseason? Franklin could take over the division easily. Who would Michigan even be able to hire at this point?

Reactions: BBrown

Now Jim Harbaugh to the Pack on the other hand - man, if the East division lost Meyer and Harbaugh in the same offseason? Franklin could take over the division easily. Who would Michigan even be able to hire at this point?
john harbaugh if he gets canned this year:)

Reactions: Kmase21 and BBrown
john harbaugh if he gets canned this year:)

LOL.
If The Steelers don't get their act together the Ravens with a rookie QB will be overtaking them.
The Steelers still have 2 very difficult games and I'm not sure they can even win in Oakland.

I know. The entire SI post is stupid, but it would be fun to appeal to Saban's ego and get him to consider it and at least create some FUD at Alabama as Signing day approaches.

LOL.
If The Steelers don't get their act together the Ravens with a rookie QB will be overtaking them.
The Steelers still have 2 very difficult games and I'm not sure they can even win in Oakland.

Lamar is going to cost the ravens some games. 3 fumbles last weekend. Chiefs and chargers in the next 3 weeks.

you dont think Baltimore would let him out if he wanted to go to the Packers?

At the start of Nov. when the Ravens were reeling there was "talk" of a mutual parting of ways at the end of the season, of course Harbaugh denied it.
Now that they've inserted Jackson at QB there seems to be a resurgence albeit against some really crappy teams the talk has died down.
Not sure who the Raven's would go after if they let Harbaugh go, certainly no one on the current staff.
This weekend's games should be interesting. The Ravens play the Chiefs (Steelers lost to them) and The Steelers play Oakland (Ravens beat them).

I know. The entire SI post is stupid, but it would be fun to appeal to Saban's ego and get him to consider it and at least create some FUD at Alabama as Signing day approaches.
Ego? With Gruden getting paid $10mil a year, what would Saban command? $12 mil? $15 mil?? Thats a lot of money to a boy from WV!

Lamar is going to cost the ravens some games. 3 fumbles last weekend. Chiefs and chargers in the next 3 weeks.

I absolutely agree. They (Ravens) have played some pretty bad teams and he's just managed to get by.
But it is kind of fun to listen to the sports radio and fans in the balto area gushing over him.
Frankly I don't think he's all that.

At the start of Nov. when the Ravens were reeling there was "talk" of a mutual parting of ways at the end of the season, of course Harbaugh denied it.
Now that they've inserted Jackson at QB there seems to be a resurgence albeit against some really crappy teams the talk has died down.
Not sure who the Raven's would go after if they let Harbaugh go, certainly no one on the current staff.
This weekend's games should be interesting. The Ravens play the Chiefs (Steelers lost to them) and The Steelers play Oakland (Ravens beat them).

They need a fresh start. Ozzie’s retirement was a good start. His drafts since the super bowl have been terrible. Two pro bowl players drafted since they won it and one is no longer w the team. The decline of the ravens is tied directly to their abysmal drafts the last 6 years. Investing a hundred million in a QB and giving him nothing to work with on offense isn’t a winning strategy outside of foxborough.

I absolutely agree. They (Ravens) have played some pretty bad teams and he's just managed to get by.
But it is kind of fun to listen to the sports radio and fans in the balto area gushing over him.
Frankly I don't think he's all that.

Im a ravens fan and don’t think much of him. You see it happen w mobile QBs all the time. They come in, there isn’t much tape, they win some games and are declared the next big thing and then they fade away in a season or two. If they do somehow make the playoffs I hope the reinsert Flacco.

Reactions: LionJim
How many 5 stars can he sign in the same year at Green Bay? Football coach and genius, lol.

IDK. How many pro bowl free agents can he get in under the cap? The guy is so good, I bet everyone would take a pay cut to play for him and go after 5 straight superbowls!

Ego? With Gruden getting paid $10mil a year, what would Saban command? $12 mil? $15 mil?? Thats a lot of money to a boy from WV!

That's a lot of money for anyone.

Saban already has a lot of money. But you never know where ego will take a person. Does he need to prove that he can make it in the NFL? Does he want to say that he's the highest paid coach in football?

He's go a nice, secure, comfy spot where he is. If I'm Little Nicky I stay in Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: heckmans
IDK. How many pro bowl free agents can he get in under the cap? The guy is so good, I bet everyone would take a pay cut to play for him and go after 5 straight superbowls!
If i could field a team of all-pros i could be a coaching genius. Maybe Miami was real and Alabama is the fluke.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Coaches like Saban and Meyer are not built for NFL success. Over-the-top recruiting is what keeps their programs going. Selling BS to kids and their parents are their strong points. Too much parity in the NFL and it all comes down to MONEY and SALARIES. The bottom NFL team can beat a contender on any given Sunday. How realistic is that idea in CF ?

Reactions: mn78psu83
I hope he does.

Then all will be again reminded that he could not win big anywhere until he got to the SEC where he could cheat!!

But if Saban can cheat in the SEC, so can every other team in the conference. So what advantage does he have?

They need a fresh start. Ozzie’s retirement was a good start. His drafts since the super bowl have been terrible. Two pro bowl players drafted since they won it and one is no longer w the team. The decline of the ravens is tied directly to their abysmal drafts the last 6 years. Investing a hundred million in a QB and giving him nothing to work with on offense isn’t a winning strategy outside of foxborough.

they were just talking about that on the radio this morning.
Yea outside of this CB that was drafted they havent been real good.
They really tanked on the WR they drafted, IIRC, #1 from Miami.
They have "servicable" RB's but nothing special and outside of Marshal Yanda are barely avg. on the OL.
Terrel Suggs, whom I never liked, is no where near the player he used to be.

Im a ravens fan and don’t think much of him. You see it happen w mobile QBs all the time. They come in, there isn’t much tape, they win some games and are declared the next big thing and then they fade away in a season or two. If they do somehow make the playoffs I hope the reinsert Flacco.

Yea not sure why they didn't see what happens to a running QB, since they have RGIII on the team.
If Jackson does well against KC and SD and they make the playoffs forget about seeing Flacco in a Ravens uni unless Jackson gets hurt.

they were just talking about that on the radio this morning.
Yea outside of this CB that was drafted they havent been real good.
They really tanked on the WR they drafted, IIRC, #1 from Miami.
They have "servicable" RB's but nothing special and outside of Marshal Yanda are barely avg. on the OL.
Terrel Suggs, whom I never liked, is no where near the player he used to be.

The two pro bowlers they drafted are CJ mosley (about time Ozzie hit on a tide player) and Kyle juzczyk (sp?). It’s criminal what he’s done with the wide receivers. They cut bolden, drafted perriman and signed Steve smith and a bunch of journeymen. The biggest move they’ve made since smith was Crabtree...

The 2017 draft is a great example. They drafted defense the first 3 rounds, linemen in the 4th and 5th and then wrapped up with another safety. Could have had chris Godwin or Kareem hunt in the 3rd. Might have helped Flacco a bit... they were 17th in the league in yards and 21st in points and they didn’t draft a single skill position player.

Flacco isn’t a hall of famer but you gotta give the guy something to work with. Hell this year their top draft pick was a 25 year old rookie tight end who caught one touchdown in college. It’s been frustrating to watch and frustrating to see people gloss over Ozzie’s failures for half a decade.

It’s frankly a miracle harbaugh has kept them in the playoff hunt most seasons given the complete lack of difference makers in the roster.

/rant

Coaches like Saban and Meyer are not built for NFL success. Over-the-top recruiting is what keeps their programs going. Selling BS to kids and their parents are their strong points. Too much parity in the NFL and it all comes down to MONEY and SALARIES. The bottom NFL team can beat a contender on any given Sunday. How realistic is that idea in CF ?
umvasu-final-score-lew-559b591c7464b85f.jpg

He should.... but he won't.

He has it too good in Tuscaloosa.

Yea not sure why they didn't see what happens to a running QB, since they have RGIII on the team.
If Jackson does well against KC and SD and they make the playoffs forget about seeing Flacco in a Ravens uni unless Jackson gets hurt.

I think they’ll pull him if they fall behind. They aren’t going to be able to come back on teams with a qb that can’t throw. This weekend will be a good test after 3 weeks of bad conpetition. The chiefs are going to get theirs, if Jackson turns it over 3 times the game will be a rout. Flacco’s actually put up decent passing numbers this season against some good defense and put together what should have been the game tying drive against the saints. No way Jackson has that ability at this point.

Saban is 67 years old. it is about now or never if he wants one final shot at the NFL. Packers would be the team as he is only going to goto a team that has a chance to win a Super Bowl in the next 3-4 years and with Aaron Rodgers, Packers are that team. Saban would just need a commitment from Packers management that they are going to spend money in free agency to bring in some high end players to compete. I could see him doing it.

Might be the greatest upset in CF history. How many times has something like this happened ?

Look at the CF playoffs since 2014 (the 1st one). It's the same core of 5 or 6 teams in the mix for the 4 playoff spots. Now compare that to the NFL playoffs during the same time period. A lot more parity as several teams have a chance to get to the Super Bowl. Not even close, it's a lot easier to dominate in CF than the NFL. The salary cap ensures a somewhat parity in the NFL. Saban knows this and showed that he is nothing special in his stint in the NFL. Lot easier to dominate in CF.

We'll, Pitt beat Clemson and app st beat scUM.

I agree. I just want him to, or at least to consider it and have the rumors cast doubt on the Alabama program 60 days from NSD.
I remember an ex-Saints FB talking about how weird Saban was in Miami. Read this...dude is crazy.

Heath Evans, a former fullback and current NFL Network analyst, recounts the scene in a recent interview with Miami's 790 The Ticket:

Well, the first day of two-a-days. We had about a three-hour-plus practice in the morning in that south Florida sun. You guys know what it's like down there in late July, early August. And then that night we had another practice under the lights, if I recall I think it was about from 6 to 9. Jeno James, our best offensive lineman at the time, comes in and collapses after practice, uh, vomiting all kinds of stuff that would make a billygoat puke, eyes rolled in the back of his head. Myself, about four other lineman are trying to carry him from the locker room, to the training room. Obviously it's a moment of panic, everyone, you know, we don't know if this guy's, you know, gonna die, I mean, the whole deal. But he's so big and sweaty and heavy that we actually have to set him down in the hallway between the locker room and the training room.

Nick Saban literally just starts walking in, steps over Jeno James convulsing, doesn't say a word, doesn't try to help, goes upstairs, I don't know what he does. But then obviously they get Jeno trauma-offed to the hospital.The team would have to wait hours for Saban to return to the scene. As Evans describes it:

Saban calls a team meeting about 10:30 that night, comes down and says, 'You know, the captain of the ship can never show fear or indecision, we've always gotta have an answer, and so I had to go upstairs, that's why I walked over Geno like that, I had to collect my thoughts and decide what's best for our team.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT