ADVERTISEMENT

Short yardage package

Has a good reason ever been given, other than "we don't do that?" If JoMo is as football smart as we all think he is, you'd think he would agree that running 1 or 2 yards to gain 6 inches is better than running 6+ yards, as another posted stated. Also, no chance of a bad snap if the QB (McSorley or Stevens) is under center.

Yes...Penn State-Alabama w/Guman getting stuffed. How many times did we curse JoePa with his stubborn up the middle play calling?
And, "no chance" of a bad snap under center? Hmm...seems to me that I can remember an exchange or hundred getting muffed.
BUT, I do agree w/those who have mentioned using Stevens for his size in the red zone occasionally

It's an entirely different offense and requires the QB to do entirely different things, along with the center and the running back. It's far, far more complicated than the people on this board understand.

As someone who played the position, I couldn't disagree more. It's not rocket science, and is not complicated. They just aren't going to do it for whatever reason.

RPO sucks for short yardage! I said it last year (early on) and it's proven already this year. I see they did "listen" to me to pitch the ball to SB and to run an option - both very much improvements. I thought that lack of red zone scoring was abysmal and it all began with them not going for TD and instead kicking FG. They could have put Gesicki in formation and pitched to SB to pick up the yard.

When you watch the skill level and vision of Barkley versus Iowa it's hard to imagine a wildcat formation isn't a reasonable option or even a package involving our backup QB. Great game and in the end a huge win. Love this team and coaching staff....
Gotta agree with this comment.

Direct snap, no wasted time with a fake and the RB sees the field immediately and can go to where the Oline has a push.

Reactions: john4psu
As someone who played the position, I couldn't disagree more. It's not rocket science, and is not complicated. They just aren't going to do it for whatever reason.

If it were as easy as you say NFL teams would not be as concerned about it as they are.

The irony of this is that I believe we converted a better percentage of third downs than we had all year.

When you watch the skill level and vision of Barkley versus Iowa it's hard to imagine a wildcat formation isn't a reasonable option or even a package involving our backup QB. Great game and in the end a huge win. Love this team and coaching staff....

use Tommy like Florida used Tim Tebow when he was a FR there. Urban used Tebow as a novel goal line guy, and had his SR QB for the main package. I bet that might be more effective than current approach. still would prefer a power backfield and QB under center at goal. 1st and goal at 2 and at the 3 and we couldnt score.

Is there any empirical evidence that teams running the type of offense that PSU does have a lower rate of first downs on 3rd or 4th and 1 than teams that run offenses where the qb is under center?

I like how people who dont coach football seem to have a better command of this stuff than the guys that do.
I'm not a football coach, but have watched every snap of every Penn State game during Moorhead's tenure. I've also watched every snap of every other game going back to 1994. I have anecdotal evidence based upon Moorhead's offense that there is no effective short yardage play. While I love Moorhead's offense, it does have this negative aspect to it. I haven't watched every other RPO or spread offense, but I do believe that the limitation is due to the lack of a FB or blocking TE and the fact that the snap is received so far behind the LOS.

Reactions: Hedonist1
I think our poor red zone performance vs Iowa was strictly a combination of McSorley not making the correct read and Iowa covering our play choices near flawlessly. They blitzed our runs. They matched up well on our passes. They guessed our plays and covered them.

It happens. If it continues, then I'll be worried.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I think our poor red zone performance vs Iowa was strictly a combination of McSorley not making the correct read and Iowa covering our play choices near flawlessly. They blitzed our runs. They matched up well on our passes. They guessed our plays and covered them.

It happens. If it continues, then I'll be worried.

Nope. They blew up our inside options on both short yardage, and inside the 10, by winning inside the guards at the line of scrimmage on the right side and at center. We won at left guard all night, and sometimes at left tackle, but on the play that would have scored going left, Barkley was sitting after a long run, and Andre didn't quite make it in. That Iowa defensive front four might be as good as Ohio State or Michigan, they played that well.

I also think, both Iowa and our staff knew after the first quarter, that we couldn't go right, and that cut off half the field on those plays, although nobody will admit it. This is another reason that getting Wright back is so important for us.

That Iowa defensive front four might be as good as Ohio State or Michigan, they played that well.

In the red zone and on some passing downs, I agree. If Barkley rushes for 200+ against either OSU or Michigan, I'll gladly take our chances on winning those games even with a subpar RZ %.

In the red zone and on some passing downs, I agree. If Barkley rushes for 200+ against either OSU or Michigan, I'll gladly take our chances on winning those games even with a subpar RZ %.

They matched up with us perfectly: They go 6'7", 6'8", 6'6", and 6'5". I didn't check around but I've got to believe that is the tallest and longest front four in all of college football. In addition, Nelson is a terror and is nearly unblockable. They didn't get the pub that Michigan's big name War daddies got and they didn't get the pub that Ohio State's flashy stars got, but that front four can go right along side either of them.

Agreed. And we did a good job beating them at the point of attack. A major kudos to our OLine. What was our last very good OL? 2008?

A big problem on runs near the goal line is that Gesicki comes in motion back towards the line and typically misses the guy he should block or whiffs on the block. The one series, Mc Sorely would have had an easy TD, but Gesicki chose to block further down the line and didn’t hit the first guy in his path, Jewell, who made the tackle. Gesicki is an extremely weak blocker.

My guess is we see a lot more misdirection from PSU in this game, because of IU slanting all the time and sending so many blitzes. I don't think they send as many as last year, simply because it will be harder for them to make on the fly changes due to the Beaver Stadium experience they're going to face which is like no other in college football.

I also think, both Iowa and our staff knew after the first quarter, that we couldn't go right, and that cut off half the field on those plays, although nobody will admit it. This is another reason that getting Wright back is so important for us.

You got that Wright.

Reactions: BisbeeMike
We go about 330 across the front. Go with a TE package with a cpl of moose-like hosses behind center.. snap direct to SB and i'm betting we run that 4 times inside the 2 he gets into the EZ 9 times outta 10. More like 98 out of 100.

Not a coach.. but I drove past a Holiday Inn one night....

As much as I would love to see under center plays for short yardage, the bottom line is that first and goal from the 2 with Barkley in the Backfield should be a touchdown every time no matter the formation. Give him the ball.

600 yds of offense and 2 Td. One of them coming in last 4 seconds of the game.
All those yards mean nothing if u can’t score.
I know they will never put in a I formation look in this offense. A lot of teams do both so I don’t see the problem. OL averages nearly 320lbs and Have the strongest player in college at RB.
If Defenses play PSU like Iowa (eliminating big plays) did they will have to get better on short yardage. Won’t get those big plays against Michigan and OSU.

They will continue to struggle in short yardage and most likely cost a game or two and fans will continue to complain.

600 yds of offense and 2 Td. One of them coming in last 4 seconds of the game.
All those yards mean nothing if u can’t score.
I know they will never put in a I formation look in this offense. A lot of teams do both so I don’t see the problem. OL averages nearly 320lbs and Have the strongest player in college at RB.
If Defenses play PSU like Iowa (eliminating big plays) did they will have to get better on short yardage. Won’t get those big plays against Michigan and OSU.

They will continue to struggle in short yardage and most likely cost a game or two and fans will continue to complain.
Can't score is 4 points against Iowa.

I saw this in another thread...

"The thing that you have to remember is when you talk about numbers and angles, every offensive player that you back bring into the backfield to become a blocker," Moorhead said on Thursday during a teleconference. "When a defense is playing cover zero they're adding another defender that takes the run away, so when you're under center there is nobody to read so essentially you're handing off the ball to an unblocked defender at the point of attack."

That's a basic football explanation. Going under center is a good idea until you realize that you're outnumbered right off the bat. The entire premise of a read-option is let the defender make a choice and react with the option that exploits that choice. It isn't always that simple, but that's the basic thrust of the idea.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...ions-wont-be-going-under-center-ever,1473931/

Reactions: T J
ADVERTISEMENT