ADVERTISEMENT

Shelton and PJ vs. Rutgers - Film Study

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU D LINE VIDEO vs. Rutgers

It's funny, I looked at the boxscore after watching this video. Shelton had one tackle the entire game, ONE, but he obviously made a huge impact. He set plays up on a platter for guys. PFF ranked his performance 5th out of all Power 5 DTs last Saturday. Impressive day. I dogged Pry -- rightfully so, probably -- after the Ohio State and Iowa games, but I do have to give him credit...He didn't let the ship completely sink.I'm sure quality of opponent plays a role, but it seemed Penn State's defense has been so much more proactive than reactive these past two weeks. Not sure what the difference is...or why it took so long to flip the switch...but it's noticeable.

PSU D LINE VIDEO vs. Rutgers

It's funny, I looked at the boxscore after watching this video. Shelton had one tackle the entire game, ONE, but he obviously made a huge impact. He set plays up on a platter for guys. PFF ranked his performance 5th out of all Power 5 DTs last Saturday. Impressive day. I dogged Pry -- rightfully so, probably -- after the Ohio State and Iowa games, but I do have to give him credit...He didn't let the ship completely sink.I'm sure quality of opponent plays a role, but it seemed Penn State's defense has been so much more proactive than reactive these past two weeks. Not sure what the difference is...or why it took so long to flip the switch...but it's noticeable.
Thanks for the post. I always get a kick regarding sack totals: very often the guy awarded with a sack got it because someone else flushed the QB and that changed the blocking angles allowing someone who was blocked to take down the QB. But it does seem to balance out in the end. I also note that OLBs often don't get a lot of tackles but are not supposed to. They are often supposed to set the edge and turn the play inside so pursuit gets the runner. In this case, Shelton excelled in his gap assignment but that just didn't translate to tackles. Just another example of football being more than just statistics.

Reactions: CaliLION79
Like the rest of the team, they're rounding into form. We would all do well to remember that this program basically shut down for a while relative to others, putting themselves at a competitive disadvantage for safety reasons. I'm cutting everybody some slack this season, but believe that the improvements you are seeing from the team are just a function of having practices, games and being coached.

ADVERTISEMENT