ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

The size doesn't work, but he reminds me a lot of Nico. His splits are always going to keep him in matches. Total pain to wrestle. If he can figure out a way to consistently score a takedown or two per match, he's a really tough draw in March, but could also end up losing a ton of 3-2 matches early in his career.
I take this as a slight since you probably know the Nico loses in the room joke.

In all reality, solid analysis and I respect that you are able to connect a 125 pounder stylistically to a 165 pounder since it works. Of course what else made Nico special is how he always showed up at NCAAs, which you can't always teach. You are correct with your analysis, I was more generalized because I don't think Mekhi blows it open a ton but you feel pretty comfortable if he grabs a 3-2 lead because once he opts to go defensive, it's VERY hard to score again on him. But you are correct, Facundo is more of a splits guy than steel hips guy.

EDIT: Also, if he wants to have a true freshman year that ends like Nico's, I'd be all for that ;)

Reactions: js8793
The size doesn't work, but he reminds me a lot of Nico. His splits are always going to keep him in matches. Total pain to wrestle. If he can figure out a way to consistently score a takedown or two per match, he's a really tough draw in March, but could also end up losing a ton of 3-2 matches early in his career.

Does this mean 5-6 years from now they're will be a lot of "he's beating Facundo in the room' threads?

They're in some trouble at 149, 157, and 165. Not to mention 125. Iowa still the prohibitive favorite. Don't see much ground being made.

ADVERTISEMENT