SF bishop bans Pelosi from communion

jjw165

Jan 18, 2005
Time to go to confession Nancy.
“I am hereby notifying you that you are not to present yourself for Holy Communion and, should you do so, you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion, until such time as you publicly repudiate your advocacy for the legitimacy of abortion and confess and receive absolution of this grave sin in the sacrament of penance,” Cordileone stated in a May 19 letter addressed to Pelosi.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
“I am hereby notifying you that you are not to present yourself for Holy Communion and, should you do so, you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion, until such time as you publicly repudiate your advocacy for the legitimacy of abortion and confess and receive absolution of this grave sin in the sacrament of penance,” Cordileone stated in a May 19 letter addressed to Pelosi.
[URL
unfurl="true"]https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/sf-archbishop-bans-pelosi-from-holy-communion/amp/[/URL]

His job is toast. Pope Libby the first will see to it.

Reactions: ram2020

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
Apparently, Scott Wiener is an expert on the teachings of the Catholic Church AND somehow he thinks that the Archbishop is holding a civil position in the SF City government and can be removed from office for offenses against the Wokedom of SF. Interesting. Great self awareness there, Scotty. Of course, there is that whole separation of Church and State thing, but come on, man, this is for the Leftist cause. They don't need no stinkin Constitution to get in their way of doing good.....

Eleventh-District State Senator Scott Wiener was among the first public officials to come to Pelosi’s defense, and called for the archbishop to be removed.

“After supporting Prop 8 and refusing to get vaccinated, our right wing Archbishop is now attacking one of the most effective leaders in the history of our country, because she supports reproductive health and safe access to abortion. The Archbishop’s refusal to give communion to Speaker Pelosi is shameful. He is deeply out of step with San Francisco and should be removed.”

I wonder if the Leftie powers in Baghdad By The Bay will cancel the Archbishop. That would be some funny crap there. Of course, it may go the other way. Maybe the Bishop of Delaware will grow a pair and ban Senile Joe on the same grounds. Don't hold your breath on that one though. Joe and His Excellency are butt buddies. What's a little sin here or there when Joe puts a big check into the Christmas fund every year?

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
I've got a whole thread on it here, Knight, which I wouldn't have started if I'd seen this one.

Long story short: Archbishop right. Joke Catholic Pelosi wrong.

Fact is, you can't be a faithful Catholic and a Dem-Mediacrat at the same time. Anybody who says differently is either a fool or a fake.

Would like to hear @pioneerlion83 's take as a devout Catholic, one who readily admits abortion is sin, and a devout democrat. How the heck does anyone reconcile that?

pioneerlion83

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
SouthernMD, by way of NJ and PSU
Would like to hear @pioneerlion83 's take as a devout Catholic, one who readily admits abortion is sin, and a devout democrat. How the heck does anyone reconcile that?
I am not a fan of Cordileone. At all.
And Pope Francis has warned bishops not to use withholding Communion as a political weapon. I stand with Pope Francis. For standing with Pope Francis, I am sure Jerry will initiate excommunication procedures against me...

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
I am not a fan of Cordileone. At all.
And Pope Francis has warned bishops not to use withholding Communion as a political weapon. I stand with Pope Francis. For standing with Pope Francis, I am sure Jerry will initiate excommunication procedures against me...

Yet you think abortion is a sin. How do you live with yourself with such contradictions? Seems like you are like most lefties; just make it all up as you go.

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
I am not a fan of Cordilenone. At all.
It seems to me that communion is being withheld from Nancy because of her conduct falls perfectly into the scenario I laid out below, not because the Bishop of SF has decided to use withholding communion as a "political weapon". What makes that statement even more bizarre is that no one could ever accuse the Bishop of SF of being a "political" enemy of the Soc/Dems. That's just ludicrous. . No, this is the Pope just making it all right for his political soul mates to get away with murder (so to speak).....rank has its privileges, I guess.

I'm no theologian but the simple logic of your statements just escapes me. The following makes a lot more sense (and is a much more honest analysis) to me:

1. Under Catholic doctrine, abortion is a sin.
2. Those who support, promote or enable someone to sin are sinning themselves
3. To receive communion one has to be in a state of grace....attained by purging their sins through confession.
4. Absolution can't be granted in confession by a priest if the person seeking absolution either doesn't admit what he/she is doing is a sin, or recognizes it is a sin and fully intends to keep committing that sin.
5. To seek and take communion while having a mortal sin on your soul is committing a sacrilege.
6. If one repeatedly commits a sacrilegious act, they can/should be excommunicated from the church

is that about right?

Now if you accept that Joe and Nancy are receiving communion as a fact, I think you have to admit that Nancy and Joe should be in line for #6 above. Unless, of course, the Pope can unilaterally change church doctrine and declare it all nonsense and let the abortionist enablers go scot free. I suppose that's possible, but doesn't he have to make it generally known he's done that? Just telling your political fellow travelers doesn't seem like it could be enough to me. If he doesn't have that authority/power, then he fits into the above analysis as well. Who do I write to in the Curia to start the excommunication proceedings against the Pope?

Last edited:

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
It seems to me that communion is being withheld from Nancy because of her conduct falls four square into the scenario I laid out below, not because the Bishop of SF has decided to use withholding communion as a "political weapon". What makes that statement even more bizarre is that no one could ever accuse the Bishop of SF of being a "political" enemy of the Soc/Dems. That's just ludicrous. . No, this is the Pope just making it all right for his political soul mates to get away with murder (so to speak).....rank has its privileges, I guess.

I'm no theologian but the simple logic of your statements just escapes me. The following makes a lot more sense (and is a much more honest analysis) to me:

3. To receive communion one has to be in a state of grace....attained by purging their sins through confession.
4. Absolution can't be granted in confession by a priest if the person seeking absolution either doesn't admit what he/she is doing is a sin, or recognizes it is a sin and fully intends to keep committing that sin.
5. To seek and take communion while having a mortal sin on your soul is committing a sacrilege.
6. If one repeatedly commits a sacrilegious act, they can/should be excommunicated from the church

is that about right?

Now if you accept that Joe and Nancy are receiving communion as a fact, I think you have to admit that Nancy and Joe should be in line for #6 above. Unless, of course, the Pope can unilaterally change church doctrine and declare it all nonsense and let the abortionist enablers go scot free. I suppose that's possible, but doesn't he have to make it generally known he's done that? Just telling your political fellow travelers doesn't seem like it could be enough to me. If he doesn't have that authority/power, then he fits into the above analysis as well. Who do I write to in the Curia to start the excommunication proceedings against the Pope?
The Catholic Church is no different than any other corporation .

Reactions: Ski and jjw165

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
The Catholic Church is no different than any other corporation .
If you don't like how a corporation that you own stock in is being run, you sell your shares. If you don't agree with the way your church is being run, you stop attending and leave it behind. The Catholic Church has suffered a huge exodus over the last fifty years. You'd think they'd get the message......stop abusing your laity and stop being corrupt and get back to providing spiritual support. Seems like that's a bridge too far for this Pope.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
It seems to me that communion is being withheld from Nancy because of her conduct falls four square into the scenario I laid out below, not because the Bishop of SF has decided to use withholding communion as a "political weapon". What makes that statement even more bizarre is that no one could ever accuse the Bishop of SF of being a "political" enemy of the Soc/Dems. That's just ludicrous. . No, this is the Pope just making it all right for his political soul mates to get away with murder (so to speak).....rank has privileges, I guess.

I'm no theologian but the simple logic of your statements just escapes me.

is that about right?

You nailed it, Dzap.

Francis the Merciful functions as Court Chaplain for the powers of the World.

You can either serve God...or the World...but not both. Francis has made his choice...as have Pelosi and Biden, the fake Catholics.

If Francis were around during the days of Nero and Caligula, he'd be telling Church leaders not to deny the Roman emperors Communion just because they were slaughtering Christians for entertainment every weekend. Because that would be "politics," and we can't have that.

There's a passage in Scripture that applies here...Jesus telling the Pharisees:

>>The men of Nineveh will stand at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now One greater than Jonah is here. The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and now One greater than Solomon is here.<<

Similarly, the men of Nineveh will stand at the judgment with this sorry generation of Church sell-outs and condemn it for betraying that same One by cowardice and faithlessness during a time of crisis.

SheldonJoe2215

Oct 3, 2015
Portland, OR
It seems to me that communion is being withheld from Nancy because of her conduct falls four square into the scenario I laid out below, not because the Bishop of SF has decided to use withholding communion as a "political weapon". What makes that statement even more bizarre is that no one could ever accuse the Bishop of SF of being a "political" enemy of the Soc/Dems. That's just ludicrous. . No, this is the Pope just making it all right for his political soul mates to get away with murder (so to speak).....rank has its privileges, I guess.

is that about right?

That #4 gets me all the time.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
If you don't like how a corporation that you own stock in is being run, you sell your shares. If you don't agree with the way your church is being run, you stop attending and leave it behind. The Catholic Church has suffered a huge exodus over the last fifty years. You'd think they'd get the message......stop abusing your laity and stop being corrupt and get back to providing spiritual support. Seems like that's a bridge too far for this Pope.
Well I’m a Lutheran but mom was a Catholic.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
You nailed it, Dzap.

Francis the Merciful functions as Court Chaplain for the powers of the World.

You can either serve God...or the World...but not both. Francis has made his choice...as have Pelosi and Biden, the fake Catholics.

If Francis were around during the days of Nero and Caligula, he'd be telling Church leaders not to deny the Roman emperors Communion just because they were slaughtering Christians for entertainment every weekend. Because that would be "politics," and we can't have that.

There's a passage in Scripture that applies here...Jesus telling the Pharisees:

>>The men of Nineveh will stand at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now One greater than Jonah is here. The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and now One greater than Solomon is here.<<

Similarly, the men of Nineveh will stand at the judgment with this sorry generation of Church sell-outs and condemn it for betraying that same One by cowardice and faithlessness during a time of crisis.
The church either has rules or doesn’t have rules. Next thing let’s talk about gay priests .

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Just another reason not to be Catholic.

"Oh, you're not Catholic? In that case, you can't come." :rolleyes: :cool:

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
A classic, though actually profoundly wrong, comedic line.
This clown is asking everyone who criticizes the Catholic Church if they are Catholics or not.

First of all, most commenting here (including me) are either practicing or ex-Catholics.

Secondly, this Leftie is defending the Catholic Church? Ha. No, he's just doing what lefties do....making judgments about crap they just don't/can't possibly understand.

Finally, he has no problem criticizing many groups that he's not a member of,,,,,oh, wait, he's a ultra-Leftie so that gives him that right.....I almost forgot , "if it weren't for double standards, the Lefties would have no standards at all"....

These leftie hypocrites need to look in the mirror (it would have to be a extra wide one for Tubby) and judge their own bad selves before they go popping off about others. Just sayin.

Last edited:

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
This clown is asking everyone who criticizes the Catholic Church if they are Catholics or not. First of all, most commenting here (including me) are either practicing or ex-Catholics.

Secondly, this Leftie is defending the Catholic Church? Ha. No, he's just doing what lefties do....making judgments about crap they just don't/can't possibly understand.

Finally, he has no problem criticizing many groups that he's not a member of,,,,,oh, wait, he's a ultra-Leftie so that gives him that right.....I almost forgot , "if it weren't for double standards, the Lefties would have no standards at all"....

These leftie hypocrites need to look in the mirror (it would have to be a extra wide one for Tubby) and judge their own bad selves before they go popping off about others. Just sayin.
I was not raised Catholic however my mother was. I have multiple friends who were raised Catholic so I was pretty familiar with the goings on from you he day to day to news of the world. There are a few things that have soured me on it such as the institutional covering up of child molestation, next was the liberation theology.
It mainly what it seems is a man made over complication of faith that in certain ways is being misused .

Reactions: Ski and Dzapper

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
This clown is asking everyone who criticizes the Catholic Church if they are Catholics or not.

First of all, most commenting here (including me) are either practicing or ex-Catholics.

I’m assuming your issues had something to do with similar criticisms, corporation like stuff as opposed to the word and faith?

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
I’m assuming your issues had something to do with similar criticisms, corporation like stuff as opposed to the word and faith?
Yes. The Church's hypocritical practices and the conduct of the clergy were primarily what made me leave it. But, I had always wondered about the role of the Church demanding to be an intermediary between the people and God. Are you familiar with Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov? There a chapter called "The Grand Inquisitor" in that book that closely touches on the kinds of issues I had with the role of the Church in my life.

Sorry, that's probably TMI....

Last edited:

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018

I do not begrudge the bear or anyone else their ability to invoke lines from caddy shack.

Reactions: LafayetteBear

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
nW4uY9w.jpg

Reactions: bison13

2lion70

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2004
[URL
unfurl="true"]https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/sf-archbishop-bans-pelosi-from-holy-communion/amp/[/URL]
The ban is only for that diocese. The Pope has stated support of abortion rights is not a reason to ban anyone from receiving communion. Support of Capital Punishment (killing) is also not a reason to ban people from receiving communion.

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
The ban is only for that diocese. The Pope has stated support of abortion rights is not a reason to ban anyone from receiving communion. Support of Capital Punishment (killing) is also not a reason to ban people from receiving communion.
Good analogy,,,,,I didn't realize the Catholic Church was against capital punishment.

I bet all those people they burned at the stake are pissed off that this change in thinking happened so much later.

jjw165

Jan 18, 2005
yoda-trainer.gif

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Numerous other bishops are supporting Cordileone. See link.

Meanwhile, the slimy Cupich, who appears to be the Pope's consigliere within the U.S. conference of bishops, probably went running to Francis 20 minutes after the statement was issued.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. Cardinal Gregory of Washington DC is a lib and will likely not take similar action against Pelosi. Therefore, she won't be able to receive Communion in California but can partake of the sacrament in Washington.

Maybe somebody in authority will see the total incoherence of this and be forced to take a stand. Or maybe not.

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
Nancy will look down her perfectly smooth reconstructed 80+ year old nose and suck in on her dentures and laugh at these bishops. She's got the "big guy" (double entendre intended) on her side. and that's all she needs.

Seriously, two sets of rules....one for those ruled and one for those who rule......doesn't work in politics and doesn't work in religions. Eventually, the rulers lose their moral authority and the ruled start to ignore them.....or maybe worse.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Nancy will look down her perfectly smooth reconstructed 80+ year old nose and suck in on her dentures and laugh at these bishops. She's got the "big guy" (double entendre intended) on her side. and that's all she needs.

Seriously, two sets of rules....one for those ruled and one for those who rule......doesn't work in politics and doesn't work in religions. Eventually, the rulers lose their moral authority and the ruled start to ignore them.....or maybe worse.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Cordileone has taken a strong stand and has support from many bishops. So what will The Merciful One do? Will Nancy present herself at the Communion rail for the purpose of creating a media scene?

One thing for sure: Nancy won't do that for love of the Catholic sacrament. The entire notion that she and Senile Joe are "devout Catholics" is a media-created charade. The two of them are about as devout and Catholic as your pet Airedale.

Then there's the Judas bishops like Gregory who dance to Dem-Media's godless tune. What will they do?

Re your comment above, yes, there are two sets of rules. However, the double standard is not political but rather spiritual. As a faithful Catholic and patriotic American, it hasn't been easy to watch both my country and Church implode at the same time. But the two phenomena are related.

It all brings to mind two quotes from history, which I have harkened back to more than once here. The first has been attributed to an ancient Greek playwright: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.

The second, a line from the great Stonewall Jackson surveying the carnage of a Civil War battlefield: He who does not see the hand of God in this is blind, sir, blind.

Both statements apply in spades to the times we live in. The point being, it's not about Republican versus Democrat or Catholic versus (fill in the blank) but rather Good versus Evil.

Good wins in the end. That's the central lesson of human existence...for the simple reason that God is more powerful than Satan. But the record also shows that Evil often causes tremendous pain and suffering before its ultimate defeat.

Reactions: richie83

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Cordileone has taken a strong stand and has support from many bishops. So what will The Merciful One do? Will Nancy present herself at the Communion rail for the purpose of creating a media scene?

One thing for sure: Nancy won't do that for love of the Catholic sacrament. The entire notion that she and Senile Joe are "devout Catholics" is a media-created charade. The two of them are about as devout and Catholic as your pet Airedale.

Then there's the Judas bishops like Gregory who dance to Dem-Media's godless tune. What will they do?

Re your comment above, yes, there are two sets of rules. However, the double standard is not political but rather spiritual. As a faithful Catholic and patriotic American, it hasn't been easy to watch both my country and Church implode at the same time. But the two phenomena are related.

It all brings to mind two quotes from history, which I have harkened back to more than once here. The first has been attributed to an ancient Greek playwright: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.

The second, a line from the great Stonewall Jackson surveying the carnage of a Civil War battlefield: He who does not see the hand of God in this is blind, sir, blind.

Both statements apply in spades to the times we live in. The point being, it's not about Republican versus Democrat or Catholic versus (fill in the blank) but rather Good versus Evil.

Good wins in the end. That's the central lesson of human existence...for the simple reason that God is more powerful than Satan. But the record also shows that Evil often causes tremendous pain and suffering before its ultimate defeat.
Nicely put. And as to those who are duped by these so-called "leaders" into supporting them even though they are working hard to destroy their way of life:" People deceived by bad actors do wicked things for good reasons" And here we are in the modern world....watching so many do wicked things for good reasons....

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
A classic, though actually profoundly wrong, comedic line.
Actually, the prelate who uttered those words in Caddyshack was a Protestant minister rather than a Catholic. Recall that he also said, when Judge Smails told him "You're drinking to much, your Excellency," "Your Excellency? Fiddlesticks. My name is Fred." Great stuff.

Any opportunity to work in a line from Caddyshack is a good thing.

But please let me know if Catholic churches now allow non-Catholics who are present for a mass to participate in communion. I have never seen that happen. In my experience, they typically make sure to point out that non-Catholics cannot do so.

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009

is that about right?

Hey genius: Using contraceptives is ALSO a sin under Catholic doctrine, no? By your logic, all women (or men) using contraceptives should be denied communion as well. As if that's gonna work.

And LOL that you are a lapsed Catholic. Could not walk the walk, eh? Par for the course.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Hey genius: Using contraceptives is ALSO a sin under Catholic doctrine, no? By your logic, all women (or men) using contraceptives should be denied communion as well. As if that's gonna work.

And LOL that you are a lapsed Catholic. Could not walk the walk, eh? Par for the course.

Laf, I would say that 90% (probably more) of Catholics don't accept or adhere to the Church's teaching on contraception...even though Pope Paul VI's 1968 encyclical on the subject ranks as one of the great prophetic documents of our time.

None of those people should present themselves for Communion...though the vast majority of them do.

And just so you know, Natural Family Planning (NFP) is an advanced science and every bit as effective as artificial methods. But it takes a lot of commitment and sacrifice, which are not popular virtues these days.

Then again, if you read Dzapper's posts on the topic, he clearly says that though he's left the Faith, if you can't walk the walk, then don't talk the talk. Right on target.

The dude is much more honest than the vast majority of "Catholics" these days. And to speak of Pelosi or Biden as "Catholics" is to insult the faith. They're fakes from beginning to end.

Reactions: Dzapper

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Laf, I would say that 90% (probably more) of Catholics don't accept or adhere to the Church's teaching on contraception...even though Pope Paul VI's 1968 encyclical on the subject ranks as one of the great prophetic documents of our time.

None of those people should present themselves for Communion...though the vast majority of them do.

And just so you know, Natural Family Planning (NFP) is an advanced science and every bit as effective as artificial methods. But it takes a lot of commitment and sacrifice, which are not popular virtues these days.

Then again, if you read Dzapper's posts on the topic, he clearly says that though he's left the Faith, if you can't walk the walk, then don't talk the talk. Right on target.

The dude is much more honest than the vast majority of "Catholics" these days. And to speak of Pelosi or Biden as "Catholics" is to insult the faith. They're fakes from beginning to end.
Jer: Pandazapper may be unable to walk the walk of a Catholic (among other things), but he's never reluctant to run his mouth about what he regards as the ethical, moral or legal lapses of others. The latter is particularly comical, given his lack of any formal legal training. #GOLASERBOY

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
Jer: Pandazapper may be unable to walk the walk of a Catholic (among other things), but he's never reluctant to run his mouth about what he regards as the ethical, moral or legal lapses of others. The latter is particularly comical, given his lack of any formal legal training. #GOLASERBOY
You're right. How dare I criticize the lefties here. You have an ironclad hold on the moral high ground on this board..

This is your style, Tubby,. I have to learn to let a statement like this one speak for itself.......

LemonEars said:
True, but if Oz gets the nomination then the choice will be between Oz and Fetterman, who has no problem sticking an ice pick into a baby's brain as it is coming down the birth canal. You have to pick one so there is no point complaining about Oz.
Silly Fetterman. Everyone knows that the proper number of ice picks is two (2). :cool::cool:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must admit I do go after the ethical, moral and legal failures of the Left. But, let's face it, you all provide a target rich environment and my laser focused mind can't resist firing a shot when I see the opportunity.

Last edited: