ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Session 3 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

You also said it wouldn’t be a total shocker. Which, you’re entitled to speak for yourself, but that just isn’t true for the overwhelming majority of people. If Penn State went 0-6 it would be the number one story tonight among wrestling fans.
I’d be totally shocked if that happened.

Reactions: nitlion6
Told everyone last week watch out for Michigan and here they are
Watch out for what?

Wake me up tomorrow AM and let me know if you were right or wrong. I'm guessing you won't be around on this board to do so.

Today's the day. So far we're 6 for 6. Unless the bottom drops out on us tonight - which would defy history - this is ours for the taking.

I'm looking forward to revisiting a pre-tourney post by @El-Jefe that was right on the mark after the tourney finishes. He deserves a pat on the back for it in more ways than one.

@El-Jefe - you were very prescient 5-6 years ago when you posited that a kid already nicknamed “Bull” in high school because of his punishing, straight—ahead style might have an issue becoming transcendent in college. Not a lot of new technique learned during his time in college

We might see a repeat with Patrick Kennedy and Paddy Gallagher - both bruisers at places not known for talent development at those weights per se
I said that? You remember things I said better than my mom did.

Anyway, Marinelli's problem this year wasn't a punishing, straight-ahead style -- his problem was being unable to create offense against a guy (Amine) who deliberately kept his distance and engaged very little. Marinelli was an entirely different wrestler one round earlier against McCoy, who made the mistake of wrestling him.

Can't remember who said this, but it's absolutely true: Cael's top wrestlers every year are incredibly consistent. Consistency from match to match is the key to the NCAA Tournament -- survive and advance.

We'll see about Kennedy. And we've already seen that Gallagher can be beaten with dynamic offense and immediate transition from takedown to swipes, or at least that's what Levi did.

Last edited:
Watch out for what?

Wake me up tomorrow AM and let me know if you were right or wrong. I'm guessing you won't be around on this board to do so.

Today's the day. So far we're 6 for 6. Unless the bottom drops out on us tonight - which would defy history - this is ours for the taking.

I'm looking forward to revisiting a pre-tourney post by @El-Jefe that was right on the mark after the tourney finishes. He deserves a pat on the back for it in more ways than one.
Liked for the first 3 graphs.

Curious to see what I said before, that was worth remembering. (Other than a bunch of silly jokes.)

• Haha
Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I said that? You remember things I said better than my mom did.

Anyway, Marinelli's problem this year wasn't a punishing, straight-ahead style -- his problem was being unable to create offense against a guy (Amine) who deliberately kept his distance and engaged very little. Marinelli was an entirely different wrestler one round earlier against McCoy, who made the mistake of wrestling him.

Can't remember who said this, but it's absolutely true: Cael's top wrestlers every year are incredibly consistent. Consistency from match to match is the key to the NCAA Tournament -- survive and advance.

We'll see about Kennedy. And we've already seen that he can be beaten with dynamic offense and immediate transition from takedown to swipes, or at least that's what Levi did.
It might have been @Flying_Tiger. Whoever it was nailed it

Watch out for what?

I agree 100%, you have the Debbie downers and the trolls coming out of the woodwork saying see I told you so. We are at the point the in the race where PSU is so much better than anyone else through the last five years it’s not even measurable. Our 6 stallions are in the starting gate. Just where we hoped they would be. Everything going as planned but keep telling me about Michigan blood round guys. OMG!!!!

I hope Suriano gets his ass handed to him tomorrow night. Knock that swagger BULLSHIT out of him.

Reactions: Ski
The amount of things that have opened up for Michigan to have a shot at this is incredible.
This is not a surprise. Been saying this since the big tens. Let’s hope our studs win and keep us in it. The draw of kerk and Stevenson really hurt and we knew that. But look at lower bracket now. Ugh. Kerk may face parris. We need other schools to help us and upset Michigan wrestlers.

Yup.

Kind of like all the angst about the backside paths for our guys when the seeds came out.

You summed it up very well before - the best backside path is to stay on the front side as long as possible. Although a lot of our posters seem to forget that, Cael and company have that figured out.
Oh yeah, that.

As the ol' coach used to say: stay in the damn winners' bracket.

Yup.

Kind of like all the angst about the backside paths for our guys when the seeds came out.

You summed it up very well before - the best backside path is to stay on the front side as long as possible. Although a lot of our posters seem to forget that, Cael and company have that figured out.

Bump

Just in case it was forgotten

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Watch out for what?

As predicted, no sign of @Crusher1950 this morning

ADVERTISEMENT