ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Session 3 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Hello and welcome to Day 2 of the NCAA Wrestling Tournament!

After a dramatic first day that saw PSU take the early lead and hold it throughout the day, action begins on Day 2 at 11 a.m. with the quarterfinals and round of consolations at 11 a.m. ET followed by yet another round of consolations after. This morning's session should go a long way to determining a team title, which appears likely to come down to Penn State and Michigan at this point.

TV: ESPNU
Streaming: ESPN App/ESPN.com
Audio: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Archive=7672&type=Archive
Brackets/Tournament Hub: https://www.trackwrestling.com/pred...ents/TournamentHub.jsp&twSessionId=uokgzcxmod

Below, @IndyLion1 has done a FANTASTIC job of summing up the situation headed into today's action, which can be watched live on ESPNU and the ESPN App.

Team Standings
TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
Penn State27.524563
Arizona State2219152
North Carolina State21.5264.546
Michigan2123872
Iowa20.5262.564

Penn State has 9 wrestlers
Arizona State has 7 wrestlers
NC State has 10 wrestlers
Michigan has 9 wrestlers
Iowa has 10 wrestlers

Winners of QF matches get 6 placement points + 1 advancement + any bonus.
Winners of SF matches get 6 placement points + 1 advancement + any bonus.
Winner of Finals get 4 placement points + any bonus.
Winners of blood round matches get 3 placement points + 0.5 advancement + any bonus.

* if PSUs five 1-2 seeded wrestlers make the finals (even without bonus) it will be very difficult for other teams to beat PSU.

PSU is favored in 6 of 6 QF matches by seeds.
ASU is favored in 4 of 5 QF matches.
NC State is favored in 4 of 4 QF matches.
Michigan is favored in 4 of 7 QF matches.
Iowa is favored in 2 of 6 QF matches.

125:
PSU: #16 Hildebrandt vs #15 Teske UNI
ASU: #4 Courtney, ASU vs #5 Cardinale, WVU (QF)
UM: #1 Suriano, MICH vs #24 Latona, VT (QF)
Iowa: #13 Drake Ayala, IOWA vs #14 Jakob Camacho, NCST

133:
PSU: #1 RBY vs #25 Courtney, UVA (QF)
ASU: #3 McGee, ASU vs #6 Ragusin, MICH (QF)
Iowa: #5 DeSanto, Iowa vs #4 Myers, VT (QF)

141:
PSU: #1 Lee vs #8 Willits, ORST (QF)
ASU: None
UM: #24 Micic, MICH vs #26 Tal Shahar, NW
Iowa: #2 Jaydin Eierman, IOWA vs #17 Dylan D`Emilio, OHST (winner gets Micic Tal Shahar winner)

149:
PSU: #13 Bartlett vs #19 Yahya Thomas, NW
ASU: #5 Parco, ASU vs #4 Sasso, OSU (QF)
UM: None
Iowa: #8 Murin, IOWA vs #1 Diakomihalis, COR (QF)
NCS: #2 Wilson, NCST vs #10 Ridge Lovett, NEB (QF)

157:
PSU: #16 Berge vs #15 Johnny Lovett, CMU
ASU: #3 Teemer, ASU vs #6 Franek, NDSU (QF)
UM: #8 Lewan, MICH vs #17 Willits, ORST (QF)
NCS: #4 Ed Scott, NCST vs #5 Quincy Monday, PRIN (QF)
Iowa: #9 Kaleb Young, IOWA vs #23 Markus Hartman, ARMY

165:
PSU: None
ASU: #18 Anthony Valencia, ASU vs (11) Izzak Olejnik, NIU
UM: #6 Amine, MICH vs #3 Marinelli, IOWA (QF)

174:
PSU #1 CStar vs #9 Labriola, NEB (QF)
UM: #3 Massa, MICH vs #6 Plott, OKST (QF)
NCS: #4 Hidlay, NCST vs #5 Kemerer, IOWA (QF)

184:
PSU: #2 Brooks vs #7 Romero, OHST (QF)
UM: #1 Amine, MICH vs #9 Braunagel, ILL (QF)
NCS: #3 Trent Hidlay, NCST vs #6 Trey Munoz, ORST (QF)
Iowa: #18 Abe Assad, IOWA vs #16 Dakota Geer, OKST

197:
PSU: #1 Dean vs #8 Deprez, BING (QF)
ASU: #16 Kordell Norfleet, ASU vs #18 Luke Stout, PRIN
UM: #4 Brucki vs #19 Jacob Cardenas, COR
Iowa: #6 Warner, IOWA vs #3 Eric Schultz, NEB (QF)
NCS: #15 Isaac Trumble, NCST vs #17 Jay Aiello, UVA

285:
PSU: #4 Kerkvliet vs #12 Lance, NEB (QF)
ASU: #2 Schultz, ASU vs #7 Parris, MICH (QF)
Iowa: #3 Cassioppi, IOWA vs #6 Wood, LEH (QF)
NCS: #21 Tyrie Houghton, NCST vs #11 Gary Traub, ORST

Last edited:

After a dramatic first day that saw PSU take the early lead and hold it throughout the day, action begins on Day 2 at 11 a.m. with the quarterfinals and round of consolations at 11 a.m. ET followed by yet another round of consolations after. This morning's session should go a long way to determining a team title, which appears likely to come down to Penn State and Michigan at this point.

Below, @IndyLion1 has done a FANTASTIC job of summing up the situation headed into today's action, which can be watched live on ESPNU and the ESPN App.

Team Standings
TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
Penn State27.524563
Arizona State2219152
Michigan2123872
Iowa20.5262.564

Michigan has 9 wrestlers
Iowa has 10 wrestlers

Winners of blood round matches get 3 placement points + 0.5 advancement + any bonus.

* if PSUs five 1-2 seeded wrestlers make the finals (even without bonus) it will be very difficult for other teams to beat PSU.

125:

133:

141:
Iowa: #2 Jaydin Eierman, IOWA vs #17 Dylan D`Emilio, OHST (winner gets Micic Tal Shahar winner)

149:

157:

165:

174:

184:

197:

285:
Thank you. I'm grateful that our wrestlers are healthy and doing so well. Let's enjoy some wonderful wrestling.

Any chance someone could post the links to the different mat assignments?

Team Standings
TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
Penn State27.524563
Arizona State2219152
Michigan2123872
Iowa20.5262.564

Michigan has 9 wrestlers
Iowa has 10 wrestlers

125:

133:

141:

149:

157:

165:

174:

184:

197:

285:
Can you please post those ESPN individual mat links like you did yesterday or can we use the same session links from yesterday for today? Thank you in advance for your help with this request.

I know everyone’s saying that hilde doesn’t look the same from January. Anyone else notice hilde holding his right knee after one of the mag returns from noto. Wish him the best today and as high as expectations as we had, we’ve seen from day 1 this is a daunting tourney

Can you please post those ESPN individual mat links like you did yesterday or can we use the same session links from yesterday for today? Thank you in advance for your help with this request.
Below is the link to the ESPN page with all eight mats as well as the Matcast which has all eight matches at once.

Reactions: BRETTPSU
So long as things haven’t changed, it’ll be quarterfinals on the middle mats and consis on the outside. Which means RBY and Nick Lee should be on 5 one after the other.

Friday
11 a.m. Session 3- Eight Mat Configuration
  • Quarterfinals on middle four mats; Wrestle-Back Second and Third Rounds on outside mats
8 p.m. Session 4- Six Mat "Dog Bone" Configuration
  • Semifinals on inside two mats (one weight at a time) and Wrestle-back Fourth Round on outside four mats. Followed by Wrestle-Back fifth rounds on all six mats.

I completely agree, this morning all eyes are on Michigan. It is possible they win 6 of 7 QF matches and stay right with PSU going into tonight, especially if we lose one or two QF matches. As of right now, Michigan is our biggest threat, but things can change if ASU or NC State or Iowa go on a long winning streak and we lose matches we "expect" to win.

Reactions: Creek Side
Clay, may I make a suggestion to you and Richard when you start a new Session thread to try and include all pertinent info the fans may need (i.e. links to Track, brackets, radio, streams, team scores, times, etc) in the first post so it can be referenced. 😎
Ask and ye shall receive. Updated above and will do so tonight and tomorrow. Thanks.

If you're not familiar with Track once you're into the mat assignments you could separate it a few different ways at your preference. Just ask if you need to know how to did down into the site.
Jeff Byers has done a great job if you are listening to him keeping us informed which mats PSU guys are on.

I’m astonished by the number of people I see on Facebook complaining about the ESPN coverage. Granted, I know it’s Facebook so most of the posters are probably sub-MENSA IQs, but still, I’m having a great time with matcast.

I’m astonished by the number of people I see on Facebook complaining about the ESPN coverage. Granted, I know it’s Facebook so most of the posters are probably sub-MENSA IQs, but still, I’m having a great time with matcast.
I think it’s the ESPN tv coverage. I was watching yesterday, they were showing mats with long reviews going on, instead of flipping to a mat that had wrestling. Then when Gable was wrestling they had a 60 second story about Shane and Stanford wrestling, then went to commercial.
The biggest draw in the sport and didn’t even show his full match.

125 Consolation Rd 2
16 D Hildebrandt vs 15 B Teske

Heavy hands and fakes early. No score after a minute. BD gets in on a low single and finishes quickly. 2-0 Teske. Flattens DH. OOB. 1:19 to go. DH to his feet, switches, close to reversal but gets escape instead. 2-1. 35 secs riding. DH close to scoring on a snap down go behind. Gives ankle somewhat easily again and it’s 4-1 Teske after one. 1:00 RT.

DH on bottom. Out in 5 secs. 4-2 Teske. 1:05 RT. DH in on low single but stalemated. Kind of stopped once he got in. Double leg and finish by DH and its 4-4 now. Riding time under a minute. Teske escapes and its 5-4 Teske. 37 secs riding adv for Teske.

Teske takes bottom. DH gets a mat return but then Teske escapes. 6-4 Teske. 1:32 to go. RT not a factor. DH wasting a bit too much time underneath and then it’s finally stalemated. DH aggressive and Teske full stall mode. Gets warned but too late. Late TD Teske. 8-4 is your final. Hildebrandt eliminated.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: lions#1
Really wanted to try to do an analysis after each session but due to some flight difficulties was unable to do so. However, I am back and home for the duration of the tournament. Was able to watch a few matches but my write up will basically be forecasting and a few thoughts from the limited action I was able to see from yesterday.

We all knew our tournament championship was going to be spear headed by RBY, Lee, CStar, Brooks, Dean, and Kerk. Having Drew, BB, and Berge there were extra insurances that I myself wasn't necessarily counting on, but hopeful for. Maybe not so much Berge since he was a quarter finalist last year, but coming off a significant injury and retirement is without a doubt a daunting task for anyone.

125: Drew's first round loss was no doubt disappointing. Our woes at 25 have been around since Nico and its not even surprising at this point. He sits on the top side of the consis with some outstanding wrestlers and some of them aren't going to AA. It's the way of the tournament. He opens this morning with Teske and would have the winner or McKee or Mastro if he were to win. We shall see how it goes, I think he can make his way to AA but it will no doubt be difficult and he will have to be at his best from the start.

133: RBY has Courtney from Virginia and I see no reason why he shouldn't advance. He's likely to see Desanto in the semis which I'm assuming will be another close match. I didn't get to see RBY wrestle yet in the tournament but did see he picked up some crucial bonus.

141: Lee opens with Willits from Oregon St, and the pair of brothers have had themselves a tournament so far. However, Lee is on a completely different level than everyone in the championship side not named Rivera since Eierman has gone down.

149: Was able to watch BB wrestle Sasso and during the first period I thought he may pull it out. However, not too many have beaten Sasso and for good reason. A winnable match against Thomas from Northwestern is his next task and we're in for a low scoring bout, but like everyone, it is one match at a time.

157: Berge has Lovett from CMU and I think he will really be able to make some noise on the backside. This is where we can really gain some points from him, and with him getting a major coming off the disappointing loss, I think his mindset is right.

174: Another match with Cstar and Labs. It really looks like Carter is on a mission and I look for it not to be as close as it has in the past. Wrestling is starting so these are going to get shorter.

184: Brooks has Romero and his pace and control of his pace look refined after his loss to Amine which I think pays huge dividends.

Sorry to Dean and Kerk, I think they both win, lets scrap

Disappointing end of the season for Drew. For whatever reason, he was not the same wrestler he seemed to be in january unfortunately.

Reactions: backdrft76
ADVERTISEMENT