ADVERTISEMENT

SEPTEMBER. SELL-OFF. [insert the face here]

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
The Dow is down 900 points today. Thus far, September has been an ASS. BEATING. o_O on Wall Street. Apparently the b1g playing football hasn’t been well received by the financial markets.

Hide your money, or ride it out and buy in cheap on the eventual upswing.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUfiji
The Dow is down 900 points today. Thus far, September has been an ASS. BEATING. o_O on Wall Street. Apparently the b1g playing football hasn’t been well received by the financial markets.

Everyone in an uproar over a Canadian TV show dominating the Emmy's....😱

It was a funny market -- valuations had no relation to earnings but people were just riding the momentum. Probably the most overvalued things have been since 1999 or so. This will put more pressure on Potus to get a stimulus package passed.

Reactions: bison13 and PSUfiji

I was up about four and a half percent for the year at the beginning of the month so I'll probably ride it out and whatever the second stimulus is throw it in as soon as I get it.

It was a funny market -- valuations had no relation to earnings but people were just riding the momentum. Probably the most overvalued things have been since 1999 or so. This will put more pressure on Potus to get a stimulus package passed.

Seems like a waste of public money to prop up something which is overvalued. A free market economy should let the market find its own level. The short term pain will make for a more stable future. Instant financial gratification feels good but the bill will eventually come due.

Seems like a waste of public money to prop up something which is overvalued. A free market economy should let the market find its own level. The short term pain will make for a more stable future. Instant financial gratification feels good but the bill will eventually come due.
exactly- we don't HAVE a free market

The rules for approving judges are specified in the US Constitution. Moscow Mitch's whims have nothing to do with it.
Hmmm....let's see here....the rules in 2016 were the same as they are now, but Mitch violated them at his whim in 2016, and is slamming through a pick in the narrow window he has until the election. You don't have to be overly political to see the hypocrisy.

I get the idea that the conservatives want that extra seat in the Supreme Court, but it could bite them in the end. The Dems will now be motivated to expand the Supreme Court and re-balance it, and they might also move to bring Puerto Rico and Washington DC into statehood, adding 4 new Democratic senators.

Is it really worth risking that?

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Hmmm....let's see here....the rules in 2016 were the same as they are now, but Mitch violated them at his whim in 2016, and is slamming through a pick in the narrow window he has until the election. You don't have to be overly political to see the hypocrisy.

I get the idea that the conservatives want that extra seat in the Supreme Court, but it could bite them in the end. The Dems will now be motivated to expand the Supreme Court and re-balance it, and they might also move to bring Puerto Rico and Washington DC into statehood, adding 4 new Democratic senators.

Nah. Mitch did nothing wrong in 2016. He was well within his power to decide if and when to hold a confirmation hearing on Garland.
Also for the slow among us, the "McConnell rule" as the media is championing, was not holding confirmation hearings in an election year when the President and Senate were controlled by different parties. That is not the case this year.
I'm not saying it's right. I'm just clarifying what it is and that the media is either stupid or lying to gin up the democrat base.
Finally, if the Dems get serious about court packing and trump loses, he only needs to pack the court with conservatives during the lame duck session. Let the Dems try to pack it up to 40 justices.

Last edited:
Reactions: harjeff
Nah. Mitch didn't nothing wrong in 2016. He was well within his power to decide if and when to hold a confirmation hearing on Garland.
Also for the slow among us, the "McConnell rule" as the media is championing, was not holding confirmation hearings in an election year when the President and Senate were controlled by different parties. That is not the case this year.
I'm not saying it's right. I'm just clarifying what it is and that the media is either stupid or lying to find up the democrat base.
Finally, if the Dems get serious about court packing and trump loses, he only needs to pack the court with conservatives during the lame duck session. Let the Dems
They’ll do it after the lame duck session

As bad as djt is Nancy and mitch are far worse for this country. Typical Baltimore corrupt politician with np

So I double checked the Constitution and it doesn't say anything about political parties anywhere. McConnell's justification has no basis in law. It's hypocrisy, plain and simple. Both parties play the game. Since the supreme court is ideally apolitical, an new process needs to be found to select justices.

So I double checked the Constitution and it doesn't say anything about political parties anywhere. McConnell's justification has no basis in law. It's hypocrisy, plain and simple. Both parties play the game. Since the supreme court is ideally apolitical, an new process needs to be found to select justices.
Washington (the President, not the city) did not want there to even be political parties. He foresaw the corruption that would result- had he known the scale of it, he might have given us back to England.

• Wow
Reactions: colt21

McConnell did nothing wrong he just followed what has been done since 1880 in 2016. If Obama had a Dem Senate in 2016 there would be one more liberal justice on the Supreme Court. Funny thing is the shoe was on the other foot in 2016 and now we would see the same thing, so grow a set.

McConnell did nothing wrong he just followed what has been done since 1880 in 2016. If Obama had a Dem Senate in 2016 there would be one more liberal justice on the Supreme Court. Funny thing is the shoe was on the other foot in 2016 and now we would see the same thing, so grow a set.

Don't get dizzy with all that spinning. McConnell didn't do what has been done since 1880. Please tell me how many times a judicial nomination was submitted and hearings weren't held for 9 months. I'll wait patiently for your answer. And for your own good, lay off the kool aid.

Last edited:

Yes. In the last scenario Democrats said to proceed. Now they are saying hold back. There was another example at end of Clinton's term when they said push forward.

You can see three clips of Schumer saying the opposite in each case.

In the end who is in control of the Senate makes the decision.

LdN

People will act in what they believe is their self- interest.
Hope that isn’t a surprise.

Here's to hoping that happens. And if four years from now the same thing occurs, I want you to hold me to my word, for what that's worth.

Reactions: ralphster
The senate should have had a chance to consider obamas duly nominated candidate.

The senate should have a chance to consider trumps duly nominated candidate now.

McConnell is a stone hypocritical political hack.

Schumer is a stone hypocritical political hack.

All those statements are true.

• Haha
Reactions: BrucePa and Yanks49
The Man Who Broke Politics
Newt Gingrich turned partisan battles into bloodsport, wrecked Congress, and paved the way for Trump’s rise.

Basically, Newt championed the mantra that compromise was for pussies...and here we are today. No one should be shocked. Payback is going to be a bitch.
He was ok with asking for draft deferments, though- typical politician in that regard. They are all pussies.

Never made the claim and you are correct. Let me reassert however, Mitch did, and is doing nothing wrong.
Chuck schumer would ram a confirmation home if given the oppty. Let's also not forget that this convo is only made possible because Harry Reid and the Dems instituted the nuclear option re: judicial confirmations when they reduced the number of votes from a 60 member super-majority to a simple majority in order to ram through Obama nominees. It's a real shame when your politics bite you in the ass, but make no mistake who is responsible here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT