ADVERTISEMENT

September 2020 PSU Tweets/Articles Thread

“It’s critical that we have wide receivers that, when they’re in a one on one situation, they can win and we can make the defense pay,” Ciarrocca said. "It helps open everything else up for it. I’m excited about these guys and their growth and, you know, KeAndre has shown great potential to be an explosive player for us.

“Parker is showing great potential, where they could possibly have an immediate impact for us. So, excited about the whole group of them overall, but really excited about those two young guys.”

Meyer: Penn State losing 10-point advantage without White-Out
ByKEVIN FLAHERTY 21 hours ago

Some home field advantages will be hurt more than others from not having many, or any, fans in the stands. And former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said one that will be seriously dented will be Penn State.

Talking on Big Ten Network, former coach Gerry DiNardo asked Meyer which big games would be effected by the trimming down of crowd noise. Dinardo mentioned Wisconsin at Michigan as one suggestion, along with Ohio State at Penn State, where DiNardo suggested it would likely be Penn State’s White Out game.

“Well first of all, it won’t probably be the White Out. It will be the White Out,” Meyer said. “That’s Ohio State’s game and I played in four of those. And I give credit to, I told James Franklin this, that became the most difficult place I’ve ever coached in my career. When I first got there, what was it, 2012 I believe, we played at Penn State and it was really good. And obviously the team got so good the last few years with Saquon Barkley and the talent that they had on that team and I mean, that was as loud as I’ve ever heard. We had street fight games with them every game, so I—you know, I always try to throw a number of points as I don’t really share with the team or my coaches, but in my mind, that is a 10-point differential when you play in that kind of game.

“That means you have to be on-point,” Meyer said. “And first of all, remember the preparation days that drove you insane on Tuesday and Wednesday, to have that music and that jet engine blowing in your ear at practice? And you have to do it, but remember you can’t make corrections at practice. So your coaching suffers that entire week, especially if you have a young team. Ohio State has a veteran team, so they’ll be fine, but I think that’s a 10-point [difference], at Penn State. I don’t think Ann Arbor’s like that. I think Wisconsin and Ann Arbor are close, they’re really good, but I think Penn State’s a different animal.”

Meyer, who now serves as an analyst for FOX Sports, certainly had a front-row seat to some terrific Penn State atmospheres. Meyer’s first season at Ohio State saw the Buckeyes come to Penn State and leave with a 35-23 victory.

When the Buckeyes returned in 2014, Penn State had a new coach in Franklin, coaching in his seventh game with the Nittany Lions. The Buckeyes again escaped with a win, though it took two overtimes against a 7-6 Penn State team to do it.

Penn State was significantly better in 2016, with an 11-win Nittany Lion team claiming a 24-21 win over the visiting Buckeyes. That win gave Penn State the edge over Ohio State in the Big Ten standings, pushing the Nittany Lions to the Big Ten Championship Game, where Penn State defeated Wisconsin.

And 2018 — Meyer’s last year on the Ohio State sidelines — saw Ohio State once again win a tight game with a 27-26 victory.

With both Ohio State and Penn State projecting as top 10 teams this season, it's a shame that Penn State isn't likely to get another White Out atmosphere to try and turn the tide.

Meyer: Penn State losing 10-point advantage without White-Out
ByKEVIN FLAHERTY 21 hours ago

Some home field advantages will be hurt more than others from not having many, or any, fans in the stands. And former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said one that will be seriously dented will be Penn State.

Talking on Big Ten Network, former coach Gerry DiNardo asked Meyer which big games would be effected by the trimming down of crowd noise. Dinardo mentioned Wisconsin at Michigan as one suggestion, along with Ohio State at Penn State, where DiNardo suggested it would likely be Penn State’s White Out game.

“Well first of all, it won’t probably be the White Out. It will be the White Out,” Meyer said. “That’s Ohio State’s game and I played in four of those. And I give credit to, I told James Franklin this, that became the most difficult place I’ve ever coached in my career. When I first got there, what was it, 2012 I believe, we played at Penn State and it was really good. And obviously the team got so good the last few years with Saquon Barkley and the talent that they had on that team and I mean, that was as loud as I’ve ever heard. We had street fight games with them every game, so I—you know, I always try to throw a number of points as I don’t really share with the team or my coaches, but in my mind, that is a 10-point differential when you play in that kind of game.

“That means you have to be on-point,” Meyer said. “And first of all, remember the preparation days that drove you insane on Tuesday and Wednesday, to have that music and that jet engine blowing in your ear at practice? And you have to do it, but remember you can’t make corrections at practice. So your coaching suffers that entire week, especially if you have a young team. Ohio State has a veteran team, so they’ll be fine, but I think that’s a 10-point [difference], at Penn State. I don’t think Ann Arbor’s like that. I think Wisconsin and Ann Arbor are close, they’re really good, but I think Penn State’s a different animal.”

Meyer, who now serves as an analyst for FOX Sports, certainly had a front-row seat to some terrific Penn State atmospheres. Meyer’s first season at Ohio State saw the Buckeyes come to Penn State and leave with a 35-23 victory.

When the Buckeyes returned in 2014, Penn State had a new coach in Franklin, coaching in his seventh game with the Nittany Lions. The Buckeyes again escaped with a win, though it took two overtimes against a 7-6 Penn State team to do it.

Penn State was significantly better in 2016, with an 11-win Nittany Lion team claiming a 24-21 win over the visiting Buckeyes. That win gave Penn State the edge over Ohio State in the Big Ten standings, pushing the Nittany Lions to the Big Ten Championship Game, where Penn State defeated Wisconsin.

And 2018 — Meyer’s last year on the Ohio State sidelines — saw Ohio State once again win a tight game with a 27-26 victory.

With both Ohio State and Penn State projecting as top 10 teams this season, it's a shame that Penn State isn't likely to get another White Out atmosphere to try and turn the tide.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT