ADVERTISEMENT

Seniors

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Going through the weight classes, I was a bit surprised that there weren't more guys leaving due to eligibility ("super" seniors). It wouldn't surprise me if the next group of "super" seniors, the 2023 crop, had some leave college wrestling for various reasons. We'll see. In the meantime, here's a quickly put together (partial) list of this year's departures, solely by eligibility;

Nick Suriano (MICH)
Drew Hildebrandt (PSU)
Devin Schroder (PUR)
Joey Prata (OK)

Austin DeSanto )IA)
Korbin Myers (VT)

Nick Lee (PSU)
Jaydin Eierman (IA)
Sebastian Rivera (RUT)
Kizhan Clarke (NC)
Steven Micic (MICH)
Chad Red (NEB)
Dresdon Simon (CMU)
Ian Parker (ISU)

Tariq Wilson (NCST)
PJ Onansanya (ARMY)
Josh Heil (CAMP)
Mike Van Brill (RUT)
Kanan Storr (MICH)

Ryan Deakin (NW)
Kaleb Young (IA)
Brady Berge (PSU)
Justin Thomas (OK)

Evan Wick (CP)
Alex Marinelli (IA)
Jake Wentzel (PITT)
Zach Hartman (BUCK)
Anthony Valencia (ASU)

Hayden Hidlay (NCST)
Mike Kemerer (IA)
Logan Massa (MICH)

Myles Amine (MICH)
Taylor Venz (NEB)
Dakota Geer (OKST)

Eric Schultz (NEB)
Jay Aiello (UVA)
Greg Bulsak (RUT)
Patrick Brucki (MICH)

Jordan Wood (LEH)
Matt Stencil (CMU)
Christian Lance (NEB)
Nate Traxler (VT)
Gary Traub (ORST)

Good for BoBar!
Beau looking at that list...
giphy.gif

It does seem low.... If I had to guess that's partly because quite a few seniors decided not to come back and be super seniors, last year we may have had a record # of upperclassman who didn't use all their eligibility. So it was kind of split between last year and this year.

I don’t know. Bormet played hardball bringing in Suriano (and Brucki). It will be interesting to see how aggressively Michigan used the portal this year and beyond.
For that reason above is what's wrong with the portal. NCAA limits the scholarships so unless they adjust portal rules coaches are going to save scholarship space to fill roster with better fits to the lineup. Instead of burning a 1 to 1/2 scholarship on a recruit they only use a 1/4 to fill lineup for one year.

I don’t know. Bormet played hardball bringing in Suriano (and Brucki). It will be interesting to see how aggressively Michigan used the portal this year and beyond.
by extension CK did.

Michigan:
125 NICK SURIANO Grad Student (Done)
133 DYLAN RAGUSIN RS Soph in 2023
133 DREW MATTIN Grad Student (Backup)
141 STEVAN MICIC Grad Student (Done)
149 KANEN STORR Grad Student (Done)
157 WILL LEWAN RS JR in 2022 (2 Years remaining)
165 CAMERON AMINE RS Soph in 2023
174 LOGAN MASSA Grad Student (Done)
184 MYLES AMINE Grad Student (Done)
184 JELANI EMBREE 2022 RS SR (1 year remaining if wants)
197 PATRICK BRUCKI Grad Student (Done)
285 MASON PARRIS Senior in 2022 (1 year remaining if wants)

125: KURT MCHENRY RS Jr in 2023 (0-2 career record)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doak and 7brwnpsu
Ohio State
125 Heinselman, Malik Sr (1 year remaining)
133 Koontz, Dylan RS Sr (1 year remaining)
141 D'Emilio, Dylan RS Jr in 2023
149 Sasso, Sammy RS Sr in 2023
157 Gallagher, Paddy RS Fr in 2023 or Hepner, Bryce RS SO
165 Kharchla, Carson RS So in 2023
174 Smith, Ethan Grad Student in 2023 (1 year remaining if he wants it)
184 Romero, Kaleb Grad Student in 2023 (1 year remaining if he wants it)
197 Hoffman, Gavin RS Jr in 2023 (2 years remaining - 5 years out of HS)
285 Orndorff, Tate RS Sr in 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: Doak and 7brwnpsu
Michigan:
125 NICK SURIANO Grad Student (Done)
133 DYLAN RAGUSIN RS Soph in 2023
133 DREW MATTIN Grad Student (Backup)
141 STEVAN MICIC Grad Student (Done)
149 KANEN STORR Grad Student (Done)
157 WILL LEWAN RS JR in 2022 (2 Years remaining)
165 CAMERON AMINE RS JR in 2023
174 LOGAN MASSA Grad Student (Done)
184 MYLES AMINE Grad Student (Done)
184 JELANI EMBREE 2022 RS SR (1 year remaining if wants)
197 PATRICK BRUCKI Grad Student (Done)
285 MASON PARRIS Senior in 2022 (1 year remaining if wants)

125: KURT MCHENRY RS Jr in 2023 (0-2 career record)
Cam Amine is a sophomore by eligibility.

Redshirt, free year, RSFR. He's a RSSO.
You are correct

Junior/Sophomore (2021-22)

Sophomore/Freshman (2020-21)

• Academic All-Big Ten; NWCA All-Academic Team
• U-M Athletic Academic Achievement Award
• NCAA All-American, 165 pounds
• Claimed seventh place at the NCAA Championships (March 18-20) with a 5-2 record
• First Wolverine freshman to earn All-America honors in four seasons (2017)
• Placed third at the Big Ten Championships (March 6-7) with a 4-1 mark
• Defeated Nebraska's #19 Peyton Robb, 4-1, in the third-place match
• Shared the team wins lead with a 14-4 record, including a 5-1 mark in dual meets
• Used a third-period ride and turn to defeat Penn State's #6 Joe Lee, 4-1 (Feb. 14)
• Beat Rutgers' Brett Donner, 10-4, in varsity debut (Jan. 8)

Freshman (2019-20)
• Redshirted season; competed unattached in four open tournaments
• Captured the 165-pound title at the Edinboro Open (Feb. 1) with a 5-0 record
• Runner-up at the Purple Raider Open (Jan. 19) with a 2-1 mark
• Went 4-2 at the Midlands Championships (Dec. 29-30)
• Placed fifth at the Michigan State Open (Nov. 2) 4-2 record
• Defeated Northern Illinois' Izzak Olejnik, 2-1, in collegiate debut at the MSU Open

Here are the way-too-early projected top 10 teams in 2023, based upon returning points:

TeamReturning Pts
Penn State
107.5​
Oklahoma State
71.5​
Arizona State
65.5​
Minnesota
57.0​
Missouri
57.0​
Iowa
54.0​
Cornell
52.0​
Ohio State
44.0​
Nebraska
44.0​
Wisconsin
38.5​
Virginia Tech
38.5​

It's 2022 points for all returnees, plus 2021 pts for injured or shirting wrestlers who missed the 2022 postseason:
- PSU: Howard
- OKST: Ferrari, Wittlake
- Goofers: Lee
- Missouri: Mauller
- Iowa: Lee
- Nebraska: Dryden
- VT: Catka

Also assumes everyone with eligibility returns -- i.e., RBY is included with PSU.

Obviously subject to weight changes, transfers, incoming freshmen, etc.

Here are the way-too-early projected top 10 teams in 2023, based upon returning points:

TeamReturning Pts
Penn State
107.5​
Oklahoma State
71.5​
Arizona State
65.5​
Minnesota
57.0​
Missouri
57.0​
Iowa
54.0​
Cornell
52.0​
Ohio State
44.0​
Nebraska
44.0​
Wisconsin
38.5​
Virginia Tech
38.5​

It's 2022 points for all returnees, plus 2021 pts for injured or shirting wrestlers who missed the 2022 postseason:
- PSU: Howard
- OKST: Ferrari, Wittlake
- Goofers: Lee
- Missouri: Mauller
- Iowa: Lee
- Nebraska: Dryden
- VT: Catka

Also assumes everyone with eligibility returns -- i.e., RBY is included with PSU.

Obviously subject to weight changes, transfers, incoming freshmen, etc.
Rutgers not in the top 10?

For that reason above is what's wrong with the portal. NCAA limits the scholarships so unless they adjust portal rules coaches are going to save scholarship space to fill roster with better fits to the lineup. Instead of burning a 1 to 1/2 scholarship on a recruit they only use a 1/4 to fill lineup for one year.
This is the same thing HR says about Penn State (despite the fact that PSU has a terrible NLI structure right now). Rules may evolve, but as they stand right now, Michigan did nothing wrong.

This is the same thing HR says about Penn State (despite the fact that PSU has a terrible NLI structure right now). Rules may evolve, but as they stand right now, Michigan did nothing wrong.
I'm not saying any team did anything wrong. I just think the real good programs in all college sports benefit by the current portal rules. As for the NIL guidelines and opportunities, it is going to become a backdoor for boosters to create an unbalance playing field for some programs. SMU all over again.

Reactions: PSUer1989
I'm not saying any team did anything wrong. I just think the real good programs in all college sports benefit by the current portal rules. As for the NIL guidelines and opportunities, it is going to become a backdoor for boosters to create an unbalance playing field for some programs. SMU all over again.

hate to tell you, but the playing field has been unbalanced for a looooooong time

Reactions: mjmirv
hate to tell you, but the playing field has been unbalanced for a looooooong time
I realize that. I could be specific on some things I know about PSU football program from the early 1980s. Truly very marginal benefits some players would get but by NCAA rules it was a violation. I can only assume what was going on at programs being run by some coaches. If you recall Paterno threw Johnny Majors under the bus for what was going on.

The biggest portal winner this year was Cal Poly.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I think NIL actually balances the playing field for everyone. NIL legalizes most all the cheating of the past. Every school can legally participate or not. I do not like the portal, however it does make it easier for athletes to transfer. The rule change that causes the unbalanced playing field is the liberalization of the transfer rules. That allows the strong programs to go out and get an athlete to fill a position of need.

Reality is, there has always been behind the scenes contact with athletes at other schools. A program would use third parties to gauge interest/recruit an athlete, the portal eliminates that need. The liberal transfer rules greatly expand the pool of athletes who can transfer and play immediately.

My hope through all of this (portal, NIL, etc.) is that it doesn't destroy college sports as we know it in the long term. Second and third tier sports are already struggling to survive at many schools. Wrestling specifically had 146 D1 programs in 1982, now 40 years later it's at 78, almost half...and several other sports are in a similar decline. An unchecked system could result in even fewer programs, just my opinion.

I think NIL actually balances the playing field for everyone. NIL legalizes most all the cheating of the past. Every school can legally participate or not. I do not like the portal, however it does make it easier for athletes to transfer. The rule change that causes the unbalanced playing field is the liberalization of the transfer rules. That allows the strong programs to go out and get an athlete to fill a position of need.

Reality is, there has always been behind the scenes contact with athletes at other schools. A program would use third parties to gauge interest/recruit an athlete, the portal eliminates that need. The liberal transfer rules greatly expand the pool of athletes who can transfer and play immediately.
It was reported the Alabama quarterback had over 1.5 million in NIL money. How many athletes at other schools would have that opportunity. The rich get richer.

Do they? Or is it now out in the open?
The programs that are in the forefront of national exposure will benefit the most. I know it wasn't an even playing field before but it is my belief that the field got more tilted by the creation of the NIL. The good thing is, the athlete now gets something for his current ability. An athlete is a major injury away from not having opportunity to make life changing money. If he makes some cash when he is in school performing at high level, it's ok with me.
Kind of like when a college student gets paid for an required internship.

The programs that are in the forefront of national exposure will benefit the most. I know it wasn't an even playing field before but it is my belief that the field got more tilted by the creation of the NIL. The good thing is, the athlete now gets something for his current ability. An athlete is a major injury away from not having opportunity to make life changing money. If he makes some cash when he is in school performing at high level, it's ok with me.
Kind of like when a college student gets paid for an required internship.
To me the real question -- and I think we agree on this -- is if the less prominent athletes will benefit, regardless of proportionality.

That remains to be seen. As in most dynamic systems, there's an initial overshoot, then an over-correction, and over time it'll reach steady state. We're still in the initial stage.

But I don't want to be that person who says poor person A got a 20% raise, rich person B got a 5% raise, and such a system must be torn down because B got more total dollars.

Beau looking at that list...
giphy.gif
Iowa
125 Spencer Lee RS Sr in 2023
133 Austin DeSanto RS Sr (Done)
141 Jaydin Eierman RS Sr (Done)
149 Max Murin RS Jr (1 yr remaining if he wants it)
157 Kaleb Young RS Sr (Done)
165 Alex Marinelli RS Sr (Done)
174 Michael Kemerer RS Sr (Done)
184 Abe Assad So (3 yrs remaining)
197 Jacob Warner Sr (1 yr remaining if he wants it)
285 Tony Cassioppi Jr (2 yrs remaining)
Indy: Thanks for the due diligence. Great look into the future of our perennial opponents.

Do they? Or is it now out in the open?
Exactly, Callthestall should read "The System" by Armen Keteyain. Ten years ago, top football players were getting $500K from top college football programs. The fact that the price has gone up should not be a surprise. As previously posted, NIL just legalizes the cheating that was already going on.

Exactly, Callthestall should read "The System" by Armen Keteyain. Ten years ago, top football players were getting $500K from top college football programs. The fact that the price has gone up should not be a surprise. As previously posted, NIL just legalizes the cheating that was already going on.
I realize the cheating was going on. I just think the system now is going to get real top heavy by how creative each school allows NILs to thrive. Example;some schools might allow a competitor to Nike to hook up with an athlete even if the school and coach have shoe deal. Example would be UnderArmour makes play for a kid. Are all schools going to enforce Nike restrictions.???
I'll check the book out.

I realize the cheating was going on. I just think the system now is going to get real top heavy by how creative each school allows NILs to thrive. Example;some schools might allow a competitor to Nike to hook up with an athlete even if the school and coach have shoe deal. Example would be UnderArmour makes play for a kid. Are all schools going to enforce Nike restrictions.???
I'll check the book out.
I guarantee you that no school will allow a kid to have another shoe deal if they’re a Nike school.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
The $500K per player does not pass the sniff test.

I'll check the book out.

4 teams made the CFP at least 4 of 7 years from 15-21 (bama - 6, clemson - 6, tosu - 4, oklahoma - 4). that's 20 out of 28 spots taken by only 4 teams. nearly 3 out of 4 every year for 7 years.

during the first year of NIL, only 1 of them made the CFP. obviously 1 year doesn't make a trend but to say that we're getting top heavy NOW is ignoring most of the last decade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT