Match 1: Zillmer dec. Winn, 8-2
Match 2: Zillmer dec. Winn, 9-7

97 kg: Kyven Gadson dec. Austin Schafer, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Gadson dec. Schafer, 8-1
Match 2: Gadson by injury default over Schafer

125 kg: Adam Coon def. Tony Nelson, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Coon dec. Nelson, 6-1
Match 2: Coon dec. Nelson, 10-4
This sure makes it apparent that the landscape in wrestling is changing. Wrestlers from Iowa and OSU have only 1 guy each in the final two trying to make the world team. NC State has 2 guys. Cornell has 2 guys. tOSU has 3 guys. A bit surprisingly, PSU only has one.
Anyway, my point is, there are some new people at the party. Personally, I think it is great that a guy training at Fresno State and he wrestled at Boise State is in the final 2. Oh yeah, Nebraska has 2 guys represented.

This sure makes it apparent that the landscape in wrestling is changing. Wrestlers from Iowa and OSU have only 1 guy each in the final two trying to make the world team. NC State has 2 guys. Cornell has 2 guys. tOSU has 3 guys. A bit surprisingly, PSU only has one.
Anyway, my point is, there are some new people at the party. Personally, I think it is great that a guy training at Fresno State and he wrestled at Boise State is in the final 2. Oh yeah, Nebraska has 2 guys represented.
What really strikes me is that we have such great talent at a relatively young age. There was a time when Snyder would be considered young right now on the senior circuit. We have Fix and Reenan in the finals as college freshman; Valencia as a rising sophmore. Hall, Spencer, and Gable in the hunt. The RTCs are working, and it's a great thing to behold!

The Final X matchups are:

57 kg:
Daton Fix vs. Thomas Gilman

61 kg:
Nashon Garrett vs. Joe Colon

65 kg:
Logan Stieber vs. Joey McKenna

70 kg:
Jason Chamberlain vs. James Green

74 kg:
Isaiah Martinez vs. Jordan Burroughs

79 kg:
Zahid Valencia vs. Kyle Dake

86 kg:
Nick Reenan vs. DT

92 kg:
Hayden Zillmer vs. J'den Cox

97 kg:
Kyven Gadson vs. Kyle Snyder

125 kg:
Adam Coon vs. Nick Gwiazdowski
With credit to Tom for the initial post, here's the match-ups sorted by Final X location:

LINCOLN, Nebraska (June 9th)
57 kg: Daton Fix vs. Thomas Gilman
70 kg: Jason Chamberlain vs. James Green
74 kg: Isaiah Martinez vs. Jordan Burroughs
97 kg: Kyven Gadson vs. Kyle Snyder

STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania (June 16th)
65 kg: Logan Stieber vs. Joey McKenna
79 kg: Zahid Valencia vs. Kyle Dake
86 kg: Nick Reenan vs. DT

BETHLEHEM, Pennsylvania (June 23rd)
61 kg: Nashon Garrett vs. Joe Colon
92 kg: Hayden Zillmer vs. J'den Cox
125 kg: Adam Coon vs. Nick Gwiazdowski

What really strikes me is that we have such great talent at a relatively young age. There was a time when Snyder would be considered young right now on the senior circuit. We have Fix and Reenan in the finals as college freshman; Valencia as a rising sophomore. Hall, Spencer, and Gable in the hunt. The RTCs are working, and it's a great thing to behold!
It's awesome to see so much talent at such a young age, and I believe Zain, Jason, and Bo, among others, are in the near-term mix as well.

The only fly in the ointment are the Olympic Weights for year 2020, and squeezing all that talent into 6 weight classes, assuming nothing changes. With 20-26 pounds between weight classes, something's gotta give with all this talent.

In the meantime, we should (imo) enjoy having 10 weight classes, and the great wrestling they provide.

To be clear, I absolutely believe Zain, Bo, and Jason all have a great chance at earning world medals. They're just "old" by measurement against this new trend. I sure do wish the OCC would embrace the worlds oldest sport and give us 10 weights, though...

Reactions: RoarLions1
Third: Andy Simmons (NYAC) fall Evan Henderson (Titan Mercury), 1:05

The same one from Michigan State a few years back? If so, why haven't I heard of him wrestling basically since he graduated from MSU? If not, then I just embarrassed myself. :)

To be clear, I absolutely believe Zain, Bo, and Jason all have a great chance at earning world medals. They're just "old" by measurement against this new trend. I sure do wish the OCC would embrace the worlds oldest sport and give us 10 weights, though...

That is 100% on FILA. Through sheer arrogance and product we lost weight classes. We could have 10 weight classes. But I think we'd have to drop Greco. We could take away the 2 bronzes as well. But I don't think that will happen because it actually hurts wrestling as a whole. Most countries give money to medal winners and the 2 bronzes increases that potential.

At the current course, I think we'll get 10 weight classes back. The product is fun to watch and we have marketable stars. If that continues and if Americans are winning (read: TV eyeballs), UWW will be able to make a compelling case to add more weight classes.

We're on the right path. Personally, I'd love to see us go the way of Golf/Tennis. Sponsorships for tournaments, unlimited fields, "Grand Slams."

The same one from Michigan State a few years back? If so, why haven't I heard of him wrestling basically since he graduated from MSU? If not, then I just embarrassed myself. :)
Yep the very same, graduated quite a few years ago now. Decided to give it a go again at age 33, hadn’t wrestled competitively in quite a while before this which is why you haven’t heard of him.

I believe he wrestled as John Simmons at the Bill Farrell and US Open.

That is 100% on FILA. Through sheer arrogance and product we lost weight classes. We could have 10 weight classes. But I think we'd have to drop Greco. We could take away the 2 bronzes as well. But I don't think that will happen because it actually hurts wrestling as a whole. Most countries give money to medal winners and the 2 bronzes increases that potential.

At the current course, I think we'll get 10 weight classes back. The product is fun to watch and we have marketable stars. If that continues and if Americans are winning (read: TV eyeballs), UWW will be able to make a compelling case to add more weight classes.

We're on the right path. Personally, I'd love to see us go the way of Golf/Tennis. Sponsorships for tournaments, unlimited fields, "Grand Slams."

I don't see us getting 10 weights back at the Olympics because the chances of dropping Greco and keeping Freestyle I put at zero. You are looking at if from a US point of view where Greco is not popular and basically is ignored. That is NOT true in most of the rest of the world.

Yep the very same, graduated quite a few years ago now. Decided to give it a go again at age 33, hadn’t wrestled competitively in quite a while before this which is why you haven’t heard of him.
I believe his brother Nick Simmons wrestled FS for quite a few years after college.

Yes, it is surprising. Maybe he's getting in shape for seniors!
Know what you're saying Tom, though you mean "Masters", right? Anything 25 years of age and older, and a person can (not a must, one can still wrestle "Seniors") go to the Masters Division.

You and I would both be Masters, Division E...highest age classification :).

Last edited:
Duster I thought Tony had the four as well, but I get why the refs determined otherwise. They anticipated a crotch lift, but Tony actually went for a trip and started the motion.

Spill ur stories duster. I shoulda hit u up. You could have partied with Downey and I.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Know what you're saying Tom, though you mean "Masters", right? Anything 25 years of age and older, and a person can (not a must, one can still wrestle "Seniors") go to the Masters Division.

You and I would both be Masters, Division E...highest age classification :).
Yes, I just watched the seniors this weekend. But I think I would be masters Division F--they would have to make up a new division!!

Duster I thought Tony had the four as well, but I get why the refs determined otherwise. They anticipated a crotch lift, but Tony actually went for a trip and started the motion.

Spill ur stories duster. I shoulda hit u up. You could have partied with Downey and I.

Were you at Dooley’s with him on Saturday night?

Pat and Jacarra Windchester(will be at final X Lincoln) came and hung out with our group for a few hours. Both very personable. He is a personality. Nothing Crazy occurred. Our group was probably more wild than them that night haha.

Reactions: diggerpup
Just missed you then, he was leaving the hotel headed to Dooley’s as I was returning to the hotel coming from Dooley’s. I require more sleep these days.

Reactions: grappler6
dude....you got to drop some truths about that night!
alcoholdron500x281.gif

Reactions: Afw6006
I don't see us getting 10 weights back at the Olympics because the chances of dropping Greco and keeping Freestyle I put at zero. You are looking at if from a US point of view where Greco is not popular and basically is ignored. That is NOT true in most of the rest of the world.

Nope. Looking at it from the IOC, UWW and TV view.

IOC wants equal mens and women's medals. I guess women's greco could happen, but that sport would be 2 decades away from viability at the Olympic level. We're still playing a dangerous game by having 12 mens weight class and 6 women's. The IOC has been pretty strict on the number of participants, so adding another sport would be pretty hard.

UWW. Lalovic is on record that Greco has to get better. Better to watch and more scoring. It was one of the early discussions that Greco be dropped and if not for a late push by Karelin, I honestly think they were going to drop Greco to bring equality to the weight classes. I just mean drop Greco at the Olympics.

TV. Greco is just hard to watch on TV. And as much as the "world" may have more Greco fans/participants, the IOC has a $7.75 billion package deal with NBC. That is an American TV station. So as, and IF, freestyle wrestling becomes more popular (read: American medals), the IOC and NBC will put more pressure on UWW to give freestyle wrestling more opportunities for "viewership."

It's a many headed monster, but Greco, just like freestyle was prior to 3 years ago, is unwatchable. Count me as a fan of the sport itself, but for viewership purposes... it's trash. And we've seen the IOC has no fear of the wrestling world.

Back to a more serious note. How many of the guys in the final X are training with the NLWC? I have Taylor and Gwiz but I am not sure of the rest.

Nope. Looking at it from the IOC, UWW and TV view.

IOC wants equal mens and women's medals. I guess women's greco could happen, but that sport would be 2 decades away from viability at the Olympic level. We're still playing a dangerous game by having 12 mens weight class and 6 women's. The IOC has been pretty strict on the number of participants, so adding another sport would be pretty hard.

UWW. Lalovic is on record that Greco has to get better. Better to watch and more scoring. It was one of the early discussions that Greco be dropped and if not for a late push by Karelin, I honestly think they were going to drop Greco to bring equality to the weight classes. I just mean drop Greco at the Olympics.

TV. Greco is just hard to watch on TV. And as much as the "world" may have more Greco fans/participants, the IOC has a $7.75 billion package deal with NBC. That is an American TV station. So as, and IF, freestyle wrestling becomes more popular (read: American medals), the IOC and NBC will put more pressure on UWW to give freestyle wrestling more opportunities for "viewership."

It's a many headed monster, but Greco, just like freestyle was prior to 3 years ago, is unwatchable. Count me as a fan of the sport itself, but for viewership purposes... it's trash. And we've seen the IOC has no fear of the wrestling world.
I agree with this. I think continuing to improve freestyle and expanding women's wrestling is the path towards viewership and popularity.

Reactions: dunkej01 and 1AA
Back to a more serious note. How many of the guys in the final X are training with the NLWC? I have Taylor and Gwiz but I am not sure of the rest.
That's it, (and Gwiz isn't official NLWC), unless you count the true 3rd matches, where we have Nico and Varner. Molinaro is also in a 3rd matchup, but is no longer NLWC.

Nelson beat Varner and He placed 5th overall technically. 1-2:Gwiz, Coon, 3-Nelson, 4-Gable, 5-Varner. No true Third.

Nelson beat Varner and He placed 5th overall technically. 1-2:Gwiz, Coon, 3-Nelson, 4-Gable, 5-Varner. No true Third.
That makes better sense than what I had figured--why did they have a challenge tourney consi bracket then, just for giggles? To establish a 2nd team alternate? You'd think more guys would default out at that point than risk injury for 5th-place bragging rights...

That's it, (and Gwiz isn't official NLWC), unless you count the true 3rd matches, where we have Nico and Varner. Molinaro is also in a 3rd matchup, but is no longer NLWC.

Huh? Varner beat Dom Bradley in the 3rd place match.

Yes Varner got third place in the challenge tournament.

Challenge tournament placing was 1-Nelson, 2-Gable, 3-Varner.

Coon was sitting in the finals, Gwiz sitting in Final X.

Coon beat Nelson so Nelson finishes third at the weight and makes the National Team (top 3)

Had Nelson Beat Coon, then Coon would have finished third and then Gable would have gotten a true third match.

That is for a weight with a returning World Medalist.

Now at 86kg with no world medalist(J’den mived Up) Taylor won the Open and advanced to final X.

So no one got to sit out at WTT to the finals. So the winners of the semis Reenan and Perry met in the best of three WTT finals cuz no one was sitting. Downey came back and got third.

Taylor waiting in Final X

Reenan won the WTT and advances to final X.

Perry finished 2nd at WTT, but third overall.

Downey got third at WTT, fourth overall and will wrestle Perry for true third because they did not meet at WTT.

Remember when everyone said this process was simple to follow haha.

Still, in the weights w/ a world medalist, why even compete in the challenge tourney consis? Just for fun, I guess. That's cool.

Still, in the weights w/ a world medalist, why even compete in the challenge tourney consis? Just for fun, I guess. That's cool.

A lot of ppl were wondering that. Only thing I can think of is to see where everyone is at on the ladder and to maximize matches for the athletes.

A lot of ppl were wondering that. Only thing I can think of is to see where everyone is at on the ladder and to maximize matches for the athletes.
Top 3 get funding stipends as part of "national team". It's a check on the line for True 3rd.

Top 3 get funding stipends as part of "national team". It's a check on the line for True 3rd.

Yes at weights without a medalist (ex 86kg). We are talking about weights where there is a returning medalist and only the Challenge Tournament finalists have a shot at true third. We are discussing why those weights wrestle back. If u get third in the Challenge Tournament you are really 5th on the ladder.

Injuries, depth, matches, etc have been thrown out as potential reasons.

To recap what grappler6 is saying (makes sense to me) the 3rd place situation

With credit to Tom & Roar:

LINCOLN, Nebraska (June 9th)
57 kg
1st/2nd: Daton Fix vs. Thomas Gilman
(3rd: Tony Ramos)

70 kg
1st/2nd: Jason Chamberlain vs. James Green
(3rd: Frank Molinaro)

74 kg
1st/2nd: Isaiah Martinez vs. Jordan Burroughs
(3rd: Nazar Kulchytskyy)