ADVERTISEMENT

Senior World Team Trials

Tank had a battle with Deakin, who still looks huge at 70Kg. Mostly because, as Pyles put it, Frank 4'd himself at one point w/ a bad choice in defense. Loved how right after (he was losing on criterea), hit that fantastic Hi-C and finished before Deakin knew what hit him. Has Pantaleo in the challenge semis.

Fix is the truth
Gable is. High school teenager was one brain fart away from senior wtt finals at heavyweight. Yikes!

I think with the pace/attack rate he had in the 2nd he would have comeback against anybody other than the Coon/Nelson types that are massive even for hwt and rarely taken down. A year or 2 from now he finishes on those dudes.

Anyone know what time the best of three’s start on Sunday? TIA
All times shown are Central.

Friday, May 18
10:00 am – 2:00 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (3 MATS)
10:00 am – 2:30 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (2 MATS)
4:00 pm – 7:30 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: Semifinals, Finals, 3rd Place, Consolation (3 MATS)
4:00 pm – 8:00 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: Semi-Finals, Finals, Consolation and 3rd Place (2 MATS)

Saturday, May 19
10:00 am – 2:30 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (2 MATS)
1:00 pm – 4:45 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship
1:00 pm – 4:45 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship
5:00 pm – 9:00 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: Semifinals, Finals and Consolation, Cons-Semi and 3rd Place Matches (2 MATS)

Sunday, May 20
12:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship

All times shown are Central.

Friday, May 18
10:00 am – 2:00 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (3 MATS)
10:00 am – 2:30 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (2 MATS)
4:00 pm – 7:30 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: Semifinals, Finals, 3rd Place, Consolation (3 MATS)
4:00 pm – 8:00 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: Semi-Finals, Finals, Consolation and 3rd Place (2 MATS)

Saturday, May 19
10:00 am – 2:30 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (2 MATS)
1:00 pm – 4:45 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship
1:00 pm – 4:45 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship
5:00 pm – 9:00 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: Semifinals, Finals and Consolation, Cons-Semi and 3rd Place Matches (2 MATS)

Sunday, May 20
12:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship

Wow - didn’t realize zahid valencia would own deiringer like that (in 2 straight). He’s the real deal

Gorilla Hulk battled, couldn't bring that second bout success to #3.

Zahid vs Dake, a certain bucknut defeat in rec, and DT's 1st world team. Final X Ticket is looking like a good buy, PD3 included.

Reactions: tikk10 and PSUaggie
From InterMat at THIS LINK:

Finals results

57 kg: Daton Fix def. Tony Ramos, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Fix dec. Ramos, 4-1
Match 2: Fix dec. Ramos, 10-3

61 kg: Nahshon Garrett def. Nico Megaludis, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Garrett tech. fall Megaludis, 11-0
Match 2: Garrett tech. fall Megaludis, 10-0

65 kg: Logan Stieber def. Jaydin Eierman, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Stieber dec. Eierman, 10-5
Match 2: Stieber dec. Eierman, 10-3

70 kg: Jason Chamberlain def. Frank Molinaro, 2 matches 1
Match 1: Chamberlain dec. Molinaro, 4-1
Match 2: Molinaro dec. Chamberlain, 7-1
Match 3: Chamberlain dec. Molinaro, 2-1

74 kg: Isaiah Martinez def. Nazar Kulchytskyy, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Martinez dec. Kulchytskyy, 13-2
Match 2: Martinez dec. Kulchytskyy, 13-2

79 kg: Zahid Valencia def. Alex Dieringer, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Valencia dec. Dieringer, 7-0
Match 2: Valencia dec. Dieringer, 5-1

86 kg: Nick Reenan def. Richard Perry, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Reenan dec. Perry, 4-2
Match 2: Reenan dec. Perry, 6-3

92 kg: Hayden Zillmer def. Deron Winn, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Zillmer dec. Winn, 8-2
Match 2: Zillmer dec. Winn, 9-7

97 kg: Kyven Gadson dec. Austin Schafer, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Gadson dec. Schafer, 8-1
Match 2: Gadson by injury default over Schafer

125 kg: Adam Coon def. Tony Nelson, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Coon dec. Nelson, 6-1
Match 2: Coon dec. Nelson, 10-4

The more I see Zahid, the more I want to see he and Nickal in the same weight class next year.

The more I see Zahid, the more I want to see he and Nickal in the same weight class next year.

I think most folks would find that to be interesting. For that to happen, Zahid has to move up and Bo has to stay. Late May, so lots of time remaining in this off season. I would imagine we might know more by late summer.

The Final X matchups are:

57 kg:
Daton Fix vs. Thomas Gilman

61 kg:
Nashon Garrett vs. Joe Colon

65 kg:
Logan Stieber vs. Joey McKenna

70 kg:
Jason Chamberlain vs. James Green

74 kg:
Isaiah Martinez vs. Jordan Burroughs

79 kg:
Zahid Valencia vs. Kyle Dake

86 kg:
Nick Reenan vs. DT

92 kg:
Hayden Zillmer vs. J'den Cox

97 kg:
Kyven Gadson vs. Kyle Snyder

125 kg:
Adam Coon vs. Nick Gwiazdowski

Reactions: tgar and diggerpup
I think Chamberlain had a savvy, if frustrating strategy for the 3rd match against Molinaro. It seems if you have 2 wrestlers who are fairly evenly matched with not a lot of shooting, then it pays to be the first to be put on the shot clock. Then in the 2nd period they will ding the other guy and put him on the shot clock. At 1-1, the advantage goes to the first guy to go on the shot clock (who ends up scoring last). Chamberlain had almost no offense, but he put the pressure on Frank with that apparent strategy. Frank was VERY frustrated at the end.

Frank would have lost even with another passivity call though. He was just frustrated. I don't see either guy beating Green.

No sign of Zahid gassing this weekend too. He took 2 dozen shots, landed 5. I agree the safe money is on Dake, but barely.

I have a few fun stories and hot-takes, but did anyone else think Tony Nelson had the 4 against Coon in the second match?

Frank would have lost even with another passivity call though. He was just frustrated. I don't see either guy beating Green.

No sign of Zahid gassing this weekend too. He took 2 dozen shots, landed 5. I agree the safe money is on Dake, but barely.

How does D Taylor do ve Reenan normally? Does DT always dominate him or do they have close battles

How does D Taylor do ve Reenan normally? Does DT always dominate him or do they have close battles
I don't think they've faced each other. Reenan was on Perry's side of the bracket at the Open, is a red-shirt freshman at NC State.

True, but at that point I felt like Frank was feeling a little desperation being behind on criteria and took a bit of a careless shot that led to Chamberlain's push-out. At least that's how it appeared to me.

You never, ever, ever want to underestimate your opponent - especially in freestyle wrestling, where a quick 2 &2, or a turn series can spell lights out . . .

But, counting US Open & PanAm tourney, DT is something like 36-2 in his last 38 freestyle matches at 86kg, w/ those 2 losses being close battles w J'Den Cox.

In those 36 wins, DT has beaten some past World & Olympic medal winners as well.

DT is on a mission & grown into 86kg. The spot is his.
I can't see Reenan touching him.

Hoping Taylor puts him away quickly and decisively so he can move onto training for the World Championships. This is his moment. Carpe diem.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT