ADVERTISEMENT

SEMI OT: Should there be an NIL Salary Cap?

That's actually been discussed this past week at media days and will be in play VERY soon.
And then the lawsuits will come from the non-revenue sports. Revenue sharing should not be open for debate. There is really no way to make the system work with revenues sharing. That will be the end of the college athletics.

Is Narduzzi right? Should there be a NIL Salary Cap going forward?

Here's an article from our Pitt site, but curious on your guys thoughts.

There must be some sort of control mechanism. Otherwise, it’ll be the Wild West with every big (rich) school. They’ll be emulating George Steinbrenner…….and buying their team. The one(s) with the most money, get the championship teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnuccio2
I don't believe a salary cap or a CBA will do anything to stop the thing most fans hate...pay for play. None of that stops a big bucks booster from paying a recruit $100K for a 10 minute autograph session. If it's addressed in a CBA, nobody could police it now that the toothpaste is out of the tube anyway.

Reactions: Online Persona
I don't believe a salary cap or a CBA will do anything to stop the thing most fans hate...pay for play. None of that stops a big bucks booster from paying a recruit $100K for a 10 minute autograph session. If it's addressed in a CBA, nobody could police it now that the toothpaste is out of the tube anyway.
if player had to sign a specific employment contract that would spell out in detail what they can and cannot do on and off field. Would control endorsement deals and take "pay for play" off the table. I have an employment contract spells out what outside compensation I can and cannot obtain, scope pf service, non compete, etc. Why not for the players?

if player had to sign a specific employment contract that would spell out in detail what they can and cannot do on and off field. Would control endorsement deals and take "pay for play" off the table. I have an employment contract spells out what outside compensation I can and cannot obtain, scope pf service, non compete, etc. Why not for the players?
I'm saying they're not going to go backward.

A salary cap wouldn’t solve anything. The schools that were paying players before NIL would just skirt the rules, while others would adhere to them. A collective bargaining agreement similar to the NFL is likely the best bet going forward. Not optimal, but the pay for play genie isn’t going back in the bottle.

'had to' ? Who is gonna force them to do so given the supreme court ruling, conference competition, the SEC-ification state of the NCAA. If each university has its own specific employment contract what would expect the contract language to specify from addicted to fraud programs like UF or Tennessee. Sports interests being more of a collection of various addictions pulling in all of directions more than a business makes me skeptical that much order will be achieved any time soon.

'had to' ? Who is gonna force them to do so given the supreme court ruling, conference competition, the SEC-ification state of the NCAA. If each university has its own specific employment contract what would expect the contract language to specify from addicted to fraud programs like UF or Tennessee. Sports interests being more of a collection of various addictions pulling in all of directions more than a business makes me skeptical that much order will be achieved any time soon.
like in the NFL contracts are standardized via a collective bargaining agreement.

like in the NFL contracts are standardized via a collective bargaining agreement.
My point was...
My point is where is this NFL like organization in Div 1 college football? Nowhere. To get there the road will be a long one and it will have to be initiated by a players union. I don't see the collegiate administrators at any level band together...until forced to do so.

I think that there should be a cap for "collective" money, but any REAL NIL contracts are all you can eat.

No. The problem is that NIL money being given to players today is NIL money masquerading as play for play/performance money or as recruiting incentive, which is supposed to be against the rules. NIL is supposed to be for players to use their personal fame and brand to do promotions and sign sponsorship deals on their own. That shouldn't be capped, if players can get that money more power to them and it shouldn't be up to the NCAA or schools to limit a player's potential. There needs to be control in place to limit the money to it's intended purpose and to put a stop to using it illegally. Of course that's easier said than done, which is one reason why the hard line positions of no money at all were in place before.

No. The problem is that NIL money being given to players today is NIL money masquerading as play for play/performance money or as recruiting incentive, which is supposed to be against the rules. NIL is supposed to be for players to use their personal fame and brand to do promotions and sign sponsorship deals on their own. That shouldn't be capped, if players can get that money more power to them and it shouldn't be up to the NCAA or schools to limit a player's potential. There needs to be control in place to limit the money to it's intended purpose and to put a stop to using it illegally. Of course that's easier said than done, which is one reason why the hard line positions of no money at all were in place before.
Ya.. who is gonna enforce that, the
N-umbnuts-CAA with the SEC Commish? Maybe all Universities legal departments can staff up with litigators and file law suits... Lol... Maybe seasons could be put in hold... By judges while no motion motions are filed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT