ADVERTISEMENT

Seeking Kamado grill advice

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
My buddy sent me some pictures of him grilling on his Kamadojoe Big Joe.

Must say, everything looked really damn good. Here in Ann Arbor, stores carry both the Kamadojoe brand and the Green Egg brand (as well as many others).

Looking for advice, experience...... .I have to partake in this. My mind is made up. I will achieve grilling perfection before my time is up here on Earth. Currently have Weber gas and charcoal grills.

I'm looking to get a ceramic grill/smoker as well. What I've found is that the green egg people belive that that the kamando is not the same (as good as) the green egg.

I have an inexpensive Akorn kamado and will go ceramic when that wears out. We had some excellent spare ribs yesterday. I ate so many I almost got physically ill.

You'll get more for your money with Kamado Joe and a better hinge system.
Best deal is when they have their roadshow at Costco.

I have a BGE large ( such since 2006) and just bought a Big Joe. You get more bang for the buck with Joe. Both are excellent. Joe has better hardware, gasket, grates, and i like the removable ash tray. My Joe came with the stand, but that was extra for BGE. Joe has a gasket on the vent too. You may be replacing gaskets on the BGE If you are going to use it a lot in the course of a year.

I use the BGE large if i am just doing a single pork rear or two steaks. Everythng else will go on the Joe.

Again, you cant do wrong. The tougher question what size to get!!!

Love my BGE, but Kamado Joe and the Primo are also excellent choices. I think it was the Primo that had all stainless hinges/fittings/etc and has probably the best of the warranties.

The BGE probably has the best selection of aftermarket accessories. I'm not as familiar with the Kamado Joe and Primo, I'm sure there are plenty of accessories for them as well, but with my Egg I can grill, smoke, bbq, and even bake. Pizza in those things is off the hook- even makes frozen pizza taste really good. Cooking on multiple levels, at different heights, direct vs. indirect. The versatility is what sold me.

Last night I had it fired up to 800 degrees for steaks. Can go 600 degrees indirect with a pizza stone for pizza. 225 for 12 hours for pulled pork....tough to find another cooking device that will do all those things in one. I love mine.

The knock on them is start up time, but I've perfected the use of the 60,000 btu weed burning torch and I can be up to cooking temps in 10 minutes.

Must say, everything looked really damn good. Here in Ann Arbor, stores carry both the Kamadojoe brand and the Green Egg brand (as well as many others).

Looking for advice, experience...... .I have to partake in this. My mind is made up. I will achieve grilling perfection before my time is up here on Earth. Currently have Weber gas and charcoal grills.
I am thinking that, with thread view, this one would have turned into a discussion about dragons, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the hints, especially about Costco, but that road show seems to have come and gone from my area (damnit). Ace carries them though. Maybe they will have a father's day special.

Man, the big joe is $1500. I was hoping for the $800 model. The Jr. is $500. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

I'm struggling with the same decision. We're having our deck replaced this June so I'm going to wait for that. I don't want to haul one of those around any more than necessary. Big Joe looks awfully sweet...

Man, the big joe is $1500. I was hoping for the $800 model. The Jr. is $500. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......
Sizewise, you are going to want a Big Joe or a XL BGE. You'll be kicking yourself if you get anything smaller than that.

We've had our Large BGE for three months now and absolutely love it! We have had no space problems (family of six and sometimes with neighbors) with the Large and I have also heard that the XL's burn through a ton more charcoal. Just an fyi.

The xl' s do burn more fuel. Its is really the only drawback. Get the big Joe and be done with it. By the time you make a decision, the nice weather will be half over.

The xl' s do burn more fuel. Its is really the only drawback. Get the big Joe and be done with it. By the time you make a decision, the nice weather will be half over.

I'm down to the big joe or the classic.... The classic seems like it may be good enough. Jr looks too small.

So in terms of fuel, do you use the prescribed charcoal, or do you buy others? Do you have to replace mid cook? If indirect, how the hell does that work? It sounds like you have to take everything out, pull the plate and add charcoal. I hadn't seen that addressed, but have wonder how ANY charcoal can provide for like 5 hours.

I'm down to the big joe or the classic.... The classic seems like it may be good enough. Jr looks too small.

So in terms of fuel, do you use the prescribed charcoal, or do you buy others? Do you have to replace mid cook? If indirect, how the hell does that work? It sounds like you have to take everything out, pull the plate and add charcoal. I hadn't seen that addressed, but have wonder how ANY charcoal can provide for like 5 hours.

You will be surprised how long charcoal can last in those things. I could get 18 hours of smoking at 225-250 on the bge without adding any fuel. You can use what ever type of fuel you want. I use cheap lump charcoal most of the time.

If you need some help/advice and or accessories, check out Freds BBQ and Music Store website. He has a store in Reading, PA and has some good videos.

I'm not sold on these Kamado style grills. So whoever has one, I suggest you invite me over for dinner so I can sample the goods coming off these so-called grills. Unfortunately, a single tasting will not suffice, it will take multiple tastings over several different weekends for me to judge their true worth. Also, not only will I need to taste many samplings off the same grill over several weekends, but I'll need to compare the different types of grills, so I'll need to schedule several samplings with each of you who have different brands. Please post a menu of what you'll be preparing for me and what type of IPA you plan on pairing with your smoked goods.

It is only after doing this that I'll honestly be able to judge these so-called grills.

You will be surprised how long charcoal can last in those things. I could get 18 hours of smoking at 225-250 on the bge without adding any fuel. You can use what ever type of fuel you want. I use cheap lump charcoal most of the time.

If you need some help/advice and or accessories, check out Freds BBQ and Music Store website. He has a store in Reading, PA and has some good videos.

Thanks for all the advice. Amazingly, my wife green lighted the deal without hesitation. I was floored though she might have her own self interest in mind.... She claims she likes what I grill.

After months of research I've had my Primo XL up and running for 5-6 months and delighted that I finally found the right tool for all cooking/baking/grilling/smoking needs. I mainly grill with it, and what sets it apart is the oval design that adds direct grilling space instead of the dreaded round versions that the others offer. The Big Green Egg was my runner up, but I couldn't get past the round grilling space and ugly looks of the thing. The ugly color and looks makes it stand out in your cooking area. We have a really nice backyard with pool, fountains, lounging area, etc. and seeing this thing sitting there is like featuring your lawnmower in the middle of your nice lawn. These things shouldn't be noticed, and the Primo blends in very nicely whether you get a custom stand or have a special area to build it into the existing area (my choice).

Thanks for all the advice. Amazingly, my wife green lighted the deal without hesitation. I was floored though she might have her own self interest in mind.... She claims she likes what I grill.
Good idea to get it asap. Wife can now get you accessories for Father's Day, etc. And you will want lots of accessories!

Good idea to get it asap. Wife can now get you accessories for Father's Day, etc. And you will want lots of accessories!

already sold it as a fathers day gift, but agreed, I think I can get extra mileage out of the deal in a couple months by pulling the trigger now.

Just to toss my 2 cents in...I had a Large BGE and loved it. I was looking to get something for down the shore so I could smoke/cook down there as well. I didn't want to put out all that money for the BGE and all accessories. I was telling a buddy from work about this and he told me he just won one of those "big ceramic grills" at a benefit but had zero use for it. He told me I could have it. It was a Vision Grill from Home Depot. I really didn't think it was going to be up to what I was used to after the BGE. Not only was it just as good as the BGE, I actually like it a little bit more. It has a removable ash tray, the airflow vents are split to allow for variable air flow, and the there is a slot for an electric starter. Not to mention it came with the nest, two swing out wooden tables that are attached to the unit, and a cover. I have had this for 3 years now and would have no doubts about getting another one. All the hinges are holding up great and not showing any signs of wear. I have priced them out and they are $699 for everything. The only extra I had to by was a plate setter. I am able to get the temps up around 800 degrees for cooking steaks while still slow smoking ribs at 250 degrees. If you are working with a budget this cooker will get you everything the others will along with the accessories.

On a side note, when I first got the unit home the internal barrel was cracked. I called customer service and a new one was at my doorstep the next day. Great customer service is another great perk.

GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
If you need info on charcoal go to the Naked Whiz site, he has reviews on different charcoals. And you should watch the video on flashback, that is when you open the grill and the rush of air to the fire creates quite a fireball. I have singed my eyebrows more than once.

If you need info on charcoal go to the Naked Whiz site, he has reviews on different charcoals. And you should watch the video on flashback, that is when you open the grill and the rush of air to the fire creates quite a fireball. I have singed my eyebrows more than once.

That's called "burping" the grill. They make a bit of a fuss about it in some promotional videos. Now I understand why. Thanks for the reference.

I'm not sold on these Kamado style grills. So whoever has one, I suggest you invite me over for dinner so I can sample the goods coming off these so-called grills.
Likewise, I don' t think a sample size of 1 is appropriate. For the good of the McAndrew board, I will selflessly volunteer my services as an additional food tester for the ceramic grill/bbq comparison.

I had a large BGE for 20 years and loved it. But moved on, have you checked out pellet grills? This is the definite set it and forget it grill.

ADVERTISEMENT