ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket renewals and waiting list & the future of the Beav

NittanyLion15

Aug 17, 2001
Laporte, PA
www.youtube.com
Anyone else anxiously awaiting to see if they secured season tickets this year? I requested 2 back in early January, and was told they wouldn't know how many seats would be available until after the existing group of season ticket holders filed their renewals and went through the relocation process if they chose to do that.

From what I understand, current season ticket holders have the month of February to decide if they want to move their seats or obtain additional... In March the folks who are on the waiting list will then be able to secure any remaining season tickets. I looked today, but wasn't able to find anything online about what % had renewed, how many were forcast to be available.. Anyone have any insight?

Looking at ticketcity.com there's a place where people can obt to sell entire season ticket packages. (Not sure if this is for every team, or just for Penn State) The only season tickets available for resale value look to be in the sections that would be last taken. Check the link.

Current Season ticket holders - Are people are tentatively holding seats, trying to resell them, then if they don't sell in the secondary market they can cancel their request? I really hope that's not the case... but with Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State, and Wisconsin all coming to happy valley... It wouldn't surprise me.

At first glance here on signing day... Penn State's single game prices are the highest I have ever seen them. Which is good for the program, not so good for the wallet.

When STEP was introduced 2011, having just recovered from the woes of the early 2000s.. I thought we'd never again see the demand for season tickets like we did in the 90s. It appears we're finally past all that. Two top ten seasons, 1 Big Ten Title, and two outstanding recruiting classes later... and for season ticket holders.. They might actually be buying a product that has some ROI.

(BTW... I'm not saying I believe this anyone remember the protesters in the late 90s when they were drawing up the expansion plans for 01? The Administration said that they would NEVER block out Mt Nittany when they build the North end, which was a fun wives' tale to think about at the time................ In hindsight, looking back to when the stadium was is in shambles along with the football program during the middle of construction in 2000. ... just as almost every view within the Beav is lost of the Mt Nit.... just as the girders rise blocking out the Native American Indian spirit in which Nittany Lion lore is based.... Nitt-A-Nee & her "boo" Lion's Paw, & the mound known as Mt Nittany, our "breaker of wind", We'd go through some of the worst seasons on and off the field any program in the history of the sport had to deal with......

Hey Sandy.. not that I believe in any of this crap... but hey... let's not piss off the Native American Spirits with this round of club seats okay? Took us nearly 20 years to recover the last time...)

Reactions: PSUPride1
I know that invoices for season tickets was due 2/1 (almost forgot to pay that myself and ended up doing so on the last day). You had to designate with that whether you were interested in relocating, adding, or dropping seats. Next would be the seat selection process - that would be in March, I guess based on your post and my failing memory (and that's when you finalize any additional tickets tentatively specified by 2/1). Makes sense that next step then would be new season ticket sales.

Anyone else anxiously awaiting to see if they secured season tickets this year? I requested 2 back in early January, and was told they wouldn't know how many seats would be available until after the existing group of season ticket holders filed their renewals and went through the relocation process if they chose to do that.

From what I understand, current season ticket holders have the month of February to decide if they want to move their seats or obtain additional... In March the folks who are on the waiting list will then be able to secure any remaining season tickets. I looked today, but wasn't able to find anything online about what % had renewed, how many were forcast to be available.. Anyone have any insight?

Looking at ticketcity.com there's a place where people can obt to sell entire season ticket packages. (Not sure if this is for every team, or just for Penn State) The only season tickets available for resale value look to be in the sections that would be last taken. Check the link.

Current Season ticket holders - Are people are tentatively holding seats, trying to resell them, then if they don't sell in the secondary market they can cancel their request? I really hope that's not the case... but with Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State, and Wisconsin all coming to happy valley... It wouldn't surprise me.

At first glance here on signing day... Penn State's single game prices are the highest I have ever seen them. Which is good for the program, not so good for the wallet.

When STEP was introduced 2011, having just recovered from the woes of the early 2000s.. I thought we'd never again see the demand for season tickets like we did in the 90s. It appears we're finally past all that. Two top ten seasons, 1 Big Ten Title, and two outstanding recruiting classes later... and for season ticket holders.. They might actually be buying a product that has some ROI.

(BTW... I'm not saying I believe this anyone remember the protesters in the late 90s when they were drawing up the expansion plans for 01? The Administration said that they would NEVER block out Mt Nittany when they build the North end, which was a fun wives' tale to think about at the time................ In hindsight, looking back to when the stadium was is in shambles along with the football program during the middle of construction in 2000. ... just as almost every view within the Beav is lost of the Mt Nit.... just as the girders rise blocking out the Native American Indian spirit in which Nittany Lion lore is based.... Nitt-A-Nee & her "boo" Lion's Paw, & the mound known as Mt Nittany, our "breaker of wind", We'd go through some of the worst seasons on and off the field any program in the history of the sport had to deal with......

Hey Sandy.. not that I believe in any of this crap... but hey... let's not piss off the Native American Spirits with this round of club seats okay? Took us nearly 20 years to recover the last time...)
Curley should have gone to jail for STEP.

Reactions: LoyalandTrueLion
Cutlet and crew broke faith with the people who for years supported the program both good and bad years.
Promises made were broken.
cutlet told me he had 10000 people who would pay 1000 for a seat.
I told him that left him with 97000 to sell and they didn't sell.

Please elaborate. Did you have multiple seats in a "prime" location that were "grandfathered" in and you only paid $200 per season to renew the "lot" of them? Or, was it some other aspect of the STEP program that arouses you so?
I remember an elderly lady being interviewed about STEP. Her family had 4 season tickets for years. Under STEP, she would have to donate $2K per ticket per year, for a total of $8K per year, just to have the right to buy tickets. Sandusky wasn't the only person guilty of rape. So was Curley

Please elaborate. Did you have multiple seats in a "prime" location that were "grandfathered" in and you only paid $200 per season to renew the "lot" of them? Or, was it some other aspect of the STEP program that arouses you so?
I remember an elderly lady being interviewed about STEP. Her family had 4 season tickets for years. Under STEP, she would have to donate $2K per ticket per year, for a total of $8K per year, just to have the right to buy tickets. Sandusky wasn't the only person guilty of rape. So was Curley
so she had the 50 yard line chairbacks? Yeah, not gonna feel sorry for her.

Yeah, you shouldn't feel sorry for someone on Social Security, who has been loyal to Penn State for years. I hope you rot in a hell hole in your old age!

There were so many problems with step that the people who say it was time to pony up couldn't possibly understand. How is fundraising going for the new... sorry renovated stadium? I just hope Sandy only sticks it in my exit and not force me to gag it down... my donation though still always ends in a great number $---4.09

To the OP, I don’t think that there has been a waiting list since STEP was implemented.

Yeah after looking into it, there hasn't been a waiting list for tickets since the 2000 season. I wasn't able to get a source, but my family seems to think that's when year over year you paid more to have season tickets than the people who went to every game and scalped.

Yeah, you shouldn't feel sorry for someone on Social Security, who has been loyal to Penn State for years. I hope you rot in a hell hole in your old age!
we're talking about 50 yard line chairback seats. there's plenty of other seats in the stadium if you can't afford it. Believe it or not, there's a long list of people waiting to pay $2000 for them.

we're talking about 50 yard line chairback seats. there's plenty of other seats in the stadium if you can't afford it. Believe it or not, there's a long list of people waiting to pay $2000 for them.
The people on that list are called morons!

It was how poorly and ineffectively rolled out. If Penn State had a competent administration at the time it probably would have been started a decade prior when many schools were doing similar programs. Starting small and limited sections of the stadium. Slowly expanding to other sections and increasing requirements. Instead they say around and did nothing until they realized how far behind they were falling and would soon be facing a budget deficits.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, an athletic program that has a voracious appetite for cash has no room for sentimentality. As others have pointed out, the roll-out of STEP was done poorly. Regardless, the financial ramifications to individuals would have been inevitable. What Curley did was kid stuff compared to what is coming down the pike. Do a search on complaints that a number of long-term Texas A&M season ticket holders had in connection with the financing of the Kyle Field renovation

@ Nittany Ziggy
@ stormingnorm

The only seats that I know of w/donations of $2,0000 are the BOX SEATS in the diagram below. When I worked at Michael Baker Jr. in the 70's, we received company tickets in the BOX SEAT (west) sections. I believe they were for corporations and large $$ donors.

Mr. Baker was a past president of the board of trustees of Pennsylvania State University in State College and also had the engineering contract to design and renovate Beaver Stadium. SOUND LIKE A FAMILIAR PRACTICE W/BOARD PRESIDENTS?

beaverstadium-4586.gif

Michael Baker Jr., 65, Ex‐Penn State Trustee And Millionaire Engineer
SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMESFEB. 24, 1977

HERSHEY, Pa., Feb. 23 (AP)—Michael Baker Jr., who made millions on engineering contracts, died last night at the Hershey Medical Center, where he recently underwent heart surgery. He was 65 years old.

Mr. Baker was a past president of the board of trustees of Pennsylvania State University in State College. He founded the Michael Baker Corporation in Beaver, P$., where a private funeral service will be held Saturday.

‘His concern, which handles about $30 million in contracts a year, has helped design projects such as the Alaskan pipeline, the Pennsylvania Turnpike and more than 200 airports.

:1(nown for support of colleges and hospitals, he acknowledged giving money over the years to politicians at all levels. In 1975, he went before a Federal grand jury looking into kickbacks on state contracts. Under a grant of immunity, he testified that in 1970 he gave Governor Milton J. Shapp of Pennsylvania cash gifts totaling $200,000.

Continue reading the main story
“There was nothing illegal about the contributions,” Mr. Baker said. “It was not sought and there were no conditions involved in the giving.” Later, Mr. Baker said he had cut his political gift‐giving from about $25,000 in 1974 to less than $1,000 a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: stormingnorm
Yeah after looking into it, there hasn't been a waiting list for tickets since the 2000 season. I wasn't able to get a source, but my family seems to think that's when year over year you paid more to have season tickets than the people who went to every game and scalped.
There were more seats available because the South End opened in 2000 with approx. 10,000 additional seats.

Cutlet and crew broke faith with the people who for years supported the program both good and bad years.
Win and they will come...

I think right now is the first time since STEP where we've had 2 consecutive seasons that were a success based on historical PSU standards, while still having a positive outlook on the upcoming year. The ticket demand will be there despite the pricing. It's no coincidence that ticket sales correlate to team performance. I expect this season to have the highest demand for tickets in some time, especially considering that the home schedule is the best it's been in some time (OSU, MSU, Wisky, Iowa).

I think right now is the first time since STEP where we've had 2 consecutive seasons that were a success based on historical PSU standards, while still having a positive outlook on the upcoming year. The ticket demand will be there despite the pricing. It's no coincidence that ticket sales correlate to team performance. I expect this season to have the highest demand for tickets in some time, especially considering that the home schedule is the best it's been in some time (OSU, MSU, Wisky, Iowa).
I could not agree more. But by some people's thinking on this subject, if Curley had 107K willing to kick in a grand, or a few grand, he should just tell the rest of us to go screw ourselves. I guess these people think the Golden Rule is that he that has the gold makes the rules. Unfortunately, this may be the way it is in the world today but it isn't the way things should be.

Reactions: step.eng69

It’s definitely more cost effective to buy singles, especially with the snoozer ooc schedule every year. Also gives you the benefit of not losing money on games you can’t go to.

Reactions: bison13

Donations for the upper deck were reduced to zero dollars last year, it was just the ticket price. That’s spurred the season ticket “sell out”.

Reactions: step.eng69
Donations for the upper deck were reduced to zero dollars last year, it was just the ticket price. That’s spurred the season ticket “sell out”.
Not in the South End zone upper deck. It was the normal $200. I'm not complaining about that amount, but if what you say is true (if people in the North end zone didn't have to donate anything) that is unfair to those of us in the South end zone.

I guess these people think the Golden Rule is that he that has the gold makes the rules. Unfortunately, this may be the way it is in the world today but it isn't the way things should be

Something wrong with this picture?

YIKES.....cheapest ticket is $ 4,700. Sideline seats $11,000 & some tickets are as much as $29,000.

https://www.ticketcity.com/minneapolis-tickets/us-bank-stadium-tickets/2018-super-bowl-new-england-patriots-vs-philadelphia-eagles-feb-4-2018-2271829.html

We have 6 tix in the lower level north end zone. Really like the location.

I resent the local SC hotel costs and availability on game day weekends much more than the all in ticket cost.
I hear you, but, unfortunately, I believe that's how it is with all big-time football programs. Tried to make hotel reservations at Hampton near South Bend a few years ago, and they had a 4 night minimum stay.

Not in the South End zone upper deck. It was the normal $200. I'm not complaining about that amount, but if what you say is true (if people in the North end zone didn't have to donate anything) that is unfair to those of us in the South end zone.
I think it's good there are options for different budgets. I'm in the south upper deck and like it because of the chair back seats. Many people feel the same way. The north upper being mostly bleachers, there needs to be an incentive for someone to buy those tickets. No required minimum NLC donation is one way. I don't feel like I'm being treated unfairly in the south deck because I donate more than my required minimum anyway. If I was really that jealous of the north deck folks I'd move over there.

I think it's good there are options for different budgets. I'm in the south upper deck and like it because of the chair back seats. Many people feel the same way. The north upper being mostly bleachers, there needs to be an incentive for someone to buy those tickets. No required minimum NLC donation is one way. I don't feel like I'm being treated unfairly in the south deck because I donate more than my required minimum anyway. If I was really that jealous of the north deck folks I'd move over there.
I like my chairbacks in the South upper deck. I moved from being packed in like a sardine in WD on the 25 yard line in 2001, and I don't regret it

Reactions: 4INSBU
People conveniently forget how cheap PSU tickets are in the grand scheme of big time college football.
PSU is among the big boys when it comes to pricing, we are one of the more expensive schools. Our game tickets are far from cheap. There are some big time programs that still give student dirt cheap tickets for example, we no longer do that.

It’s definitely more cost effective to buy singles, especially with the snoozer ooc schedule every year. Also gives you the benefit of not losing money on games you can’t go to.
It's only cheap to buy singles if you want them for the bad games. I only consider singles because I live 1500 miles away and come in once every few years. Because of that, I only want to come for a decent game. Since the pricing switched, sellers use the big games as their opportunity to recoup some of their NLC donations and losses from selling the cheap games. Tickets for OSU routinely are $200+ per seat, not cheap at all.

PSU is among the big boys when it comes to pricing, we are one of the more expensive schools. Our game tickets are far from cheap. There are some big time programs that still give student dirt cheap tickets for example, we no longer do that.

It's only cheap to buy singles if you want them for the bad games. I only consider singles because I live 1500 miles away and come in once every few years. Because of that, I only want to come for a decent game. Since the pricing switched, sellers use the big games as their opportunity to recoup some of their NLC donations and losses from selling the cheap games. Tickets for OSU routinely are $200+ per seat, not cheap at all.

Yes, but Georgia State is 2 for $20, as are some of the other games. Averaging it out, it’s cheaper to buy singles.

Yes, but Georgia State is 2 for $20, as are some of the other games. Averaging it out, it’s cheaper to buy singles.
Maybe, if you go to those. I'm not paying $500 for a plane ticket and $1000 for a hotel to come see us beat GA State by 50 points. So in my case where given the high minimum cost I'm only interested in notable opponents, where the ticket costs are quite high.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT