ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU's Rashaad Penny not a Doak Walker Award finalist. "Kind of mad" that Barkley is.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

"SAN DIEGO -- San Diego State offensive coordinator Jeff Horton thinks it's "a joke" and "a disgrace" that Rashaad Penny isn't a finalist for the Doak Walker Award. Coach Rocky Long thinks the snub doesn't bode well for the nation's leading rusher making it to New York for the Heisman Trophy ceremony.

And Penny? Well, the senior is being pragmatic."

And,

"He's not worried about whether he will be a Heisman finalist.

"I mean, I don't know. It's a dream come true. I don't know what they're going to do. It's up to them," Penny said after practice Monday. "I think my teammates are more excited about me just trying to get invited or get a table at the Heisman. I think that would be fun but I mean we'll see what happens.""

And,

"Penn State's Saquon Barkley, Stanford's Bryce Love and Wisconsin freshman Jonathan Taylor are the finalists for the Doak Walker Award that goes to the nation's top running back.

Penny did say he was "kind of mad" when he saw Barkley, who has 1,057 yards and 14 TDs, was a finalist."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-state-university-left-doak-walker-award-list

Perception of the player and the program definitely play a role. Barkley has been a household name for a few years now and is a regular on highlight reels, and Penn State has been in the national picture the past two seasons. Penny and SDSU also suffer from a weak strength of schedule. They often say being on the west coast doesn't help because the nation doesn't see you play. Obviously SDSU gets limited national coverage. It's unfortunate that Penny has been overlooked, but sadly, it is also not so surprising.

I have not seen Penny play, but he has put up great numbers.

Reactions: JoeFi

"SAN DIEGO -- San Diego State offensive coordinator Jeff Horton thinks it's "a joke" and "a disgrace" that Rashaad Penny isn't a finalist for the Doak Walker Award. Coach Rocky Long thinks the snub doesn't bode well for the nation's leading rusher making it to New York for the Heisman Trophy ceremony.

And,

"I mean, I don't know. It's a dream come true. I don't know what they're going to do. It's up to them," Penny said after practice Monday. "I think my teammates are more excited about me just trying to get invited or get a table at the Heisman. I think that would be fun but I mean we'll see what happens.""

And,

"Penn State's Saquon Barkley, Stanford's Bryce Love and Wisconsin freshman Jonathan Taylor are the finalists for the Doak Walker Award that goes to the nation's top running back.

Penny did say he was "kind of mad" when he saw Barkley, who has 1,057 yards and 14 TDs, was a finalist."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-state-university-left-doak-walker-award-list

Perception of the player and the program definitely play a role. Barkley has been a household name for a few years now and is a regular on highlight reels, and Penn State has been in the national picture the past two seasons. Penny and SDSU also suffer from a weak strength of schedule. They often say being on the west coast doesn't help because the nation doesn't see you play. Obviously SDSU gets limited national coverage. It's unfortunate that Penny has been overlooked, but sadly, it is also not so surprising.

Believe it or not. I've seen both play in person this year. Went to Boise/SD ST when I was in Cali last month. He's a power back.
Kind of like a Tony Hunt. Honestly, good but nothing special.

Believe it or not. I've seen both play in person this year. Went to Boise/SD ST when I was in Cali last month. He's a power back.

Penny has good numbers --- but Rocky Long Running Backs ALWAYS have good numbers.

It's the offense his teams (both at SDSU and UNM) run, and he specifically looks for backs like Penny (Dontrelle Moore at New Mexico 10 years ago is just like Penny).

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Penny is not even close to as good as the 3 finalists. And Saquon is miles ahead of the the other 2. They would not sniff Saquon's numbers if they came to PSU.

And,

And,

He's really going to be "kind of mad" when he reads about Saquon's pro contract.

He's kind of mad the best player in the country is a finalist for an award? That's laughable.

And,

And,

Hopefully Mr. Penny realizes there is more than just rushing yards to being a running back!?
  1. Total yards ... RP 1,966, SB 2,070
  2. Total TDs ... RP 19, SB 19
  3. Defenses faced ... Average defense rank (yds/game) for teams that played SDSU is 79.7 (and that doesn't count FCS school UC Davis when he rushed for 197 yards) versus 49.5 for PSU
The worst five defenses SDSU faced are Arizona State (111), Hawaii (117), UNLV (118), Nevada (122) and San Jose State (126). The worst five for PSU ... GA State (61), Rutgres (67), Pitt (79), Neb (98) and Akron (106). If they switched teams something tells me SB would be over 2,000 at this point!

He should be less mad about SB and more mad he didn't get an offer from a better school.

I think Saquon is the best player in the country, and the best running back by a MILE but, because of the fact that opponents have stacked the box against him and put spies on him, he does not have the statistics that some of the other top running backs have. I understand Penny complaining about that a bit, but the real story will be told at the NFL Draft, when Saquon goes above all of the other RB's and most of the QB's.

Penny's all purpose is 2,462 yds for an average of 223.8 yds per game on 286 touches. Penny's is mostly rushing and KO returns.
Barkley's all purpose is 2,070 yds for an average of 188.2 yds per game on 243 touches. Barkley's is rushing, pas catching, and KO returns
Love's all purpose os 1,756 yds for an average of 175.6 yds per game on 201 touches. Love's is all rushing.

And,

And,

Maybe Bragalone should be mad too...I mean the level of competition obviously doesn't matter to Penny.

And,

And,

Has Penny leaped tall buildings in a single bound? Is he faster than a speeding bullet? We know SaSa can do both, that is why he is invited.

ADVERTISEMENT