ADVERTISEMENT

Scrap the East-West Divisions and Divisions entirely

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
No divisions. Just make it so each team has up to 4 tie ins that they play every year alternating home and home. Then best two records play for title.
For example:
PSU: MSU, OSU, RU, UMD;
UM: OSU, Wisc, MSU, Minn;
OSU: PSU, UM, Ill, MSU;
MSU: PSU, UM, OSU, IU;
Wisc: Iowa, Minn, Neb, UM;
...so forth and so on.

RU and UMD might not have 4 being new to the conference.
It would preserve rivalries and regional matchups and the other 5 games would be random, or they could be based on a rolling win avg kind of like the NFL but with more lag; i.e. the 2019 schedule would be based on performance 2012-2015.

If OSU and MSU don't like playing all three other east powers then they can scrap their series and OSU could add UMD and MSU could add RU (they play for a trophy called the Situation Trophy? anyway).

No divisions. Just make it so each team has up to 4 tie ins that they play every year alternating home and home. Then best two records play for title.
For example:
...so forth and so on.

It would preserve rivalries and regional matchups and the other 5 games would be random, or they could be based on a rolling win avg kind of like the NFL but with more lag; i.e. the 2019 schedule would be based on performance 2012-2015.

If OSU and MSU don't like playing all three other east powers then they can scrap their series and OSU could add UMD and MSU could add RU (they play for a trophy called the Situation Trophy? anyway).
They would need the NCAA to change the rules in order to have a Conference Championship game.

Council members adopted a proposal that originated with the Division I Football Oversight Committee but also approved an amendment from the Big Ten Conference. The amendment, offered by the Big Ten late last week, allows conferences with fewer than 12 members to hold championship games in football, as long as they meet one of two additional conditions: Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference.

They would need the NCAA to change the rules in order to have a Conference Championship game.

Council members adopted a proposal that originated with the Division I Football Oversight Committee but also approved an amendment from the Big Ten Conference. The amendment, offered by the Big Ten late last week, allows conferences with fewer than 12 members to hold championship games in football, as long as they meet one of two additional conditions: Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference.

The way this is worded it only impacts conferences with less than 12 members. Not sure what it has to do with the big ten (14)

Any conference realignment or changes in who plays in the BIG championship game will only be done for the sole benefit of OSU and UM.

The way this is worded it only impacts conferences with less than 12 members. Not sure what it has to do with the big ten (14)
Because there were already a rule in place that conferences with 12 or more and the game must be between the winners of the divisions. I thought everyone was aware of that. The recent change for those less than 12 was to accommodate the Big 12

Under current rules, FBS conferences must have at least 12 members, and championship games must be between the winners of two divisions within the conference. Each division must play a round-robin schedule during the regular season in order to hold a championship game.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...bs-conferences-fewer-12-members-now-able-hold

If I were Commissioner:

THOR DIVISION

Penn State
Meeechigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Michigan State
Iowa
Nebraska

ZEUS DIVISION

Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers
Minnesota
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern

Last edited:
Because there were already a rule in place that conferences with 12 or more and the game must be between the winners of the divisions. I thought everyone was aware of that. The recent change for those less than 12 was to accommodate the Big 12

Under current rules, FBS conferences must have at least 12 members, and championship games must be between the winners of two divisions within the conference. Each division must play a round-robin schedule during the regular season in order to hold a championship game.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...bs-conferences-fewer-12-members-now-able-hold

I get all that and know why it was put in place. Still don’t get what posting the rule for conferences under 12 teams has to do with anything since the big ten has more than 12. What point does that prove? That the ncaa is open to amending rules?

For example:
...so forth and so on.

I support a realignment, but it doesn't solve a thing that ails the B1G in my opinion. Playing 9 conference games instead of 8 is what is killing us. If we only played 8, then the past two years, we would've cut out a West Division opponent. For OSU, perhaps that wouldve been Iowa and Purdue (1 in 3 chance each year it was them that would've been out). Sure changes a lot for the B1G's representation in the playoff.

We just can't play 9 conference games and be in as good of a position as the SEC or ACC. So unless they come up to 9, we have to go down to 8, or else we're seriously harming our ability to win national titles. Even if we expand the playoff to 8 teams, with 5 division winners, the top non-power 5 team, and 2 at-large, then we're just handing the SEC one of those 2 at-large bids every year if we play an extra conference game.

9 conference games hurts the ability to win national titles, it hurts the rankings of the teams in conference, and hurts the ability to be bowl eligible.

https://onwardstate.com/2018/12/05/...te-could-win-it-all-this-season/?ppp=347512-0

This is what drove me to post this. They want to talk about realigning the divisions and it's stupid. Divisions are dumb from the jump because power shifts happen and you'll never get the balance right, also if you do then you don't have the regional aspect. Just let it be the best two teams.
So OSU and Michigan plays back to back games this year ? Ridiculous ! No better than the concept of Georgia being in the playoffs even though they lost their CCG to Alabama. They had their chance and failed. Plus, unless every team plays each other, how do you determine who the 2 best teams are ?

So OSU and Michigan plays back to back games this year ? Ridiculous ! No better than the concept of Georgia being in the playoffs even though they lost their CCG to Alabama. They had their chance and failed.
if OSU had played UM back to back and beat them like they did the first time, they'd be in the playoff not OU.

I get all that and know why it was put in place. Still don’t get what posting the rule for conferences under 12 teams has to do with anything since the big ten has more than 12. What point does that prove? That the ncaa is open to amending rules?
Deals with if you don't have divisions that you have to play a round robin schedule in order to have a conference championship game.

Deals with if you don't have divisions that you have to play a round robin schedule in order to have a conference championship game.
Like @fastlax16 said, rule changes would be necessary. I didn't put this together under the impression it could happen in the current landscape as is.

My favorite alignment doesn't work so well with Wisconsin struggling but...

Red Division
OSU
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Maryland
Indiana
Rutgers
Illinois

Not Red Division
Michigan
PSU
MSU
Northwestern
Purdue
Iowa
Minnesota

Reactions: 84Lion
This may surprise some folks, but since the current alignment in 2014, the East is only 48-43 against the West, with this difference built on going 13-8 in 2017. Also, during that time OSU has the same number of losses against the West as it does against the East - two.

True the East has won all five championship games, but 3 were one possession games, with West having opportunity to win or force OT.

This may surprise some folks, but since the current alignment in 2014, the East is only 48-43 against the West, with this difference built on going 13-8 in 2017. Also, during that time OSU has the same number of losses against the West as it does against the East - two.

True the East has won all five championship games, but 3 were one possession games, with West having opportunity to win or force OT.
Now exclude the bottom teams like Rutgers and Maryland and repeat this analysis. I haven't looked but I have little doubt that everyone in the West beating Rutgers every year is certainly a big factor. You're saying that if not for 2017 the divisions are relatively even in record, but in rankings in 2018 there are 3 teams in the East that are better than the #1 team from the West.

For conferences under 12. Obviously it’s not feasible for a conference w 14 so I’m not sure why saying it was a requirement for conferences under 12 is relevant. They’d need to make a rule to allow it. If the big ten wants that rule created, it will be created.

Since it is the 5 conferences that control the playoff, any unhappiness with the conference alignments....which the PAC, And 2 BIGs have had and have issues making the playoff.....you’d think they’d be smart enough to just change the playoff to what is obviously successful for every other level of football, and every other sport uses.

Champions get in, then worry about the others in whatever manner you choose. It’s not rocket science. Except in FBS football....

Reactions: stormingnorm
Just go North/South

North South

MI OSU

WISC PSU

IOWA NEB

MSU PUR

NW ILL

MINN IN

RU MD

Cross over games as listed with the following Thanksgiving weekend games

MI/OSU

NW/ILL

NEB/IOWA

WI/MINN

IN/PUR

PSU/MD

RU/MSU

Divisions are fairly balanced and if there is a repeat of a previous game in the championship game so be it.

Reactions: CF LION
My divisional recommendation:

Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Nebraska
Iowa
Purdue
Indiana

Penn State
OSU
Rutgers
Maryland
Illinois
Northwestern
Michigan State

It preserves lots of rivalry games within the division and sets up OSU/Michigan in the championship game should they make it there. OSU, PSU, Michigan, and MSU can’t all be in the same division.

All the people crying are going to be mental when the B1G has a rematch of Michigan-OSU almost every year the refs will make that happen...

Actually, the b1g could have two divisions:

Legends: Tosu and um

Loss Leaders: Everyone else

Legends: Tosu and UM
CASH COW : PSU
Loss Leaders: Everyone else

TV loves PSU, and the BIG just likes the check we bring in.

The conference could be dramatically different in 5 years. Like always coaches come and go. Nebraska could be a powerhouse and Michigan a State could go back to being largely irrelevant ...

It does seem that the the current alignment is hurting the conference. The quality of the Conference Championship has little to no impact on the College Football Championship.
Maybe a north / south alignment would help to get the best two BigTen teams to a conference championship.
North
Michigan
Michigan St.
Purdue
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota

South
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
Ohio St.
Indiana
Illinois
Nebraska

The division names could be something other than north / south

As Signore mentioned, the lower eastern teams drag down the overall record. What matters is how good are the top teams, and how difficult (or not) it is to make it to the CCG.

Looking at the teams that finished in the top 3 of each division for the referenced timeframe, the cumulative records against the other division is:
West: 25-14
East: 33-6

It is no closer for top 2.
West: 19-7
East: 23-3

As for the leader in each, that is tied....until you get to the CCG results that aren't conference games.

tOSU has had a couple really head scratchers these past two seasons no doubt. But, similarly, look at NW these past two years. They have a combined 15-3 conference record. Against tOSU, Michigan, and PSU in this time, they are 0-2 in conference, plus another loss in the CCG.

4 divisions not 2.

Retain them every year.

This would require adding 2 new teams. For the sake of the exercise I added UVA and BC

You play 4 OOC
7 big ten teams
1 big ten game thanksgiving weekend against same seeded team

Division A PSU neb Rutgers Purdue
Division B whisky Nw Indiana uva
Division C osu Iowa Ill BC
Division D Michigan MSU Maryland minny

Schedule:

Division plays each team in division (3)

Division A plays B and Division C plays D (4)

Division teams plays 4 non conference (4)

The Last week of the season (1)

A vs C Champ B vs D champ (Winners play Championship)

A2 plays C2 B2 plays D2

A3 plays C3 B3 plays D3

A4 plays C4 B4 plays D4

That is your 12 game schedule. The next year the four champions get slotted and then you snake backwards with the divisions. Each year divisions change.

The last week of the season allows you to play a team of similar rank..

So lets use PSU.

OOC W

OOC W

OOC W

OOC W

@Purdue W

Neb W

Rutgers W

@ Wisky L

NW W

IN W

@UVA W

@ OSU C Champ W

@ B10 Champ vs winner of NW/Michigan W

Lets use Illinois

OOC W

OOC L

OOC L

OOC W

@OSU L

Iowa L

BC W

@ Mich L

MSU L

Minn L

@maryland W

@ Rutgers C4 W

The conference could be dramatically different in 5 years. Like always coaches come and go. Nebraska could be a powerhouse and Michigan a State could go back to being largely irrelevant ...
To some extent, but geography and tradition play a huge role in cementing the caste system in college football - and certain states are a veritable dead zone for high school talent

EVERY year since the East/West Split, the two highest ranked teams in the B10 have both been from the East.
Every year.
(This year, it is the top 3)

Since the current split the number of eligible bowl teams is equal every year but this one with the West having one more.

Depending on when you want to consider “highest ranked” I disagree on your comment about East having highest two. I prefer to look at last rank prior to the bowls since key players have begun not playing in some lesser bowls affecting results thus post-bowl rankings. Using prior bowl College Playoff rankings, two of the five years the West has had the second highest ranked team: Iowa in 2015 and Wisconsin in 2017. Now what is true is that the highest ranked team has been from the West.

For example:
...so forth and so on.

MSU gets screwed there IMO.

My favorite alignment doesn't work so well with Wisconsin struggling but...

Red Division
OSU
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Maryland
Indiana
Rutgers
Illinois

Not Red Division
Michigan
PSU
MSU
Northwestern
Purdue
Iowa
Minnesota
This same idea had occurred to me but I’d switch red Minnesota with blue/orange Illinois and call the divisions Bruisers (black/blue/purple/green) and Bloods.

ADVERTISEMENT