ADVERTISEMENT

Scotus/NCAA decision

I'm not motivated to read through that and make sense of it. What are the nuts and bolts of the ruling??

And any time the NCAA loses, it's good. It makes me wonder what purpose it serves nowadays and if it'll be around much longer. It organizes a basketball tournament. That's about it.

Last edited:
I'm not motivated to read through that and makes sense of it. What's the nuts and bolts of the ruling??

And any time the NCAA loses, it's good. It makes me wonder what purpose it serves nowadays and if it'll be around much longer. It organizes a basketball tournament. That's about it.
In short, NCAA can't bar modest payments to student-athletes - ruled against NCAA's current caps on gifts and benefits.

Nuts and bolts is, no limits on educational benefits are permitted under the antitrust laws. (Note, the issue of simply paying players was not before the court, though KAV in a sole concurrence practically invited that future case.

For now, think swankier dorms, more personal tutors, and the like. Also "paid internships". Apropos of say, wrestling, I wonder whether this could undermine sport specific scholarship limits.

As a practical matter, "educational benefits" will become about as precise a term as it is in the nonprofit tax exemption context, and the only limits will be the budget, creativity, and title ix.

Last edited:
images
Oh, Donnie Boy..........

This is going to be fascinating, the term “educational benefits” might end up being as effectively enforced and well monitored as was “all due deliberate speed” in Brown vs The Board of Education. And Kavanaugh pretty much asked for someone to bring them a case regarding the direct payment (salaries) to college scholarship athletes.

Reactions: 91Joe95
This might wind up being the most important ruling in the history of collegiate athletics; we could see a complete overhaul of the structure of collegiate athletics itself as a result.
Gorsuch's treatment of teh Ncaa's argument that sports ultimately serve the education mission is an amusing read.

Reactions: LionJim
Gorsuch's treatment of teh Ncaa's argument that sports ultimately serve the education mission is an amusing read.

If human sacrifice ultimately served the education mission of a university, should the university engage in it?

The court said the NCAA violated antitrust laws when it limited the amount students could receive for musical instruments, scientific equipment, postgraduate scholarships, tutoring, academic awards and paid internships.

Here are a few examples of the musical instruments and scientific equipment soon to be seen in Columbus, Tuscaloosa, Clemson etc....

Musical Instrument (it comes equipped with a stereo that plays music)
Red_2019_Ferrari_SF90_Stradale_%2848264238897%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Scientific Equipment (You can't do science without funding)
im-200212

Enhanced Academic Tutoring

2940153860572_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

Ms. Excellence's budget balancing exercise just got more complicated. Shortly, we'll here how her staff is busy studying the ramifications and that a policy will be forthcoming soon afterf they unveil how they plan to manage NIL.

Maybe it didn’t have to end this way for the NCAA ?

It didn't. Jeff Kessler offered on multiple occasions to sit down with Donnie Boy to reach an out of courts settlement. Donnie couldn't be bothered (read: it would have deprived him of the opportunity to direct beaucoup billable hours to his former law firm).

Last edited:
Reactions: 83wuzme
Ms. Excellence's budget balancing exercise just got more complicated. Shortly, we'll here how her staff is busy studying the ramifications and that a policy will be forthcoming soon afterf they unveil how they plan to manage NIL.

A lot of schools lose money on football. Seems to me that a lot of schools will de-emphasize football but I’m probably looking at this incorrectly. Like to see the opinions of the board on likely outcomes.
I agree with you. It'll be interesting to see which schools say uncle and step away from the arms race.

Reactions: bdgan
Kavanaugh: “Nowhere else in America can a business get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate.”

“This argument is circular and unpersuasive.”
I should point out that, as I understand it, Kavanaugh’s concurring opinion is not related to the question of the current lawsuit but is something whose impact is yet to be seen.

The court said the NCAA violated antitrust laws when it limited the amount students could receive for musical instruments, scientific equipment, postgraduate scholarships, tutoring, academic awards and paid internships.

Here are a few examples of the musical instruments and scientific equipment soon to be seen in Columbus, Tuscaloosa, Clemson etc....

Musical Instrument (it comes equipped with a stereo that plays music)
Red_2019_Ferrari_SF90_Stradale_%2848264238897%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Scientific Equipment (You can't do science without funding)
im-200212

Enhanced Academic Tutoring

2940153860572_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg
Getting a new car, reams of cash and a hot babe are the corner stones of American values. I for one am proud that SCOTUS has opened the floodgates so that more of our 6’ 3”, 240lb running a 4.5 40 youth may be able to realize their dream. Good Lord Almighty their free at last.

This might wind up being the most important ruling in the history of collegiate athletics; we could see a complete overhaul of the structure of collegiate athletics itself as a result.
If this goes where I believe it might go, this will be the end of college athletics as we know it. It might take 5-10 years, but ultimately we will be dealing with a GIANT mess of title 9, non revenue sports, massive departures from Division 1 from non power 5s and even some in power 5.

Why the NCAA wouldn't simply work with the pro leagues to get them to lift their age restrictions/guidelines to prevent this is BEYOND me. What is about to happen will be an out and out disaster.

Reactions: psu00 and PSUeng
I recognize that I may not like the outcome of all this in regards to what it does to college sports as we've known it. But I can't help it... FU Mark Emmert!

This is going to be fascinating, the term “educational benefits” might end up being as effectively enforced and well monitored as was “all due deliberate speed” in Brown vs The Board of Education. And Kavanaugh pretty much asked for someone to bring them a case regarding the direct payment (salaries) to college scholarship athletes.

So how far does the SEC take "educational benefits"? I mean think about their current starting point. It's gonna get crazy down there.

Reactions: psu00
Players were already getting unnecessary educational "benefits"

Nothing new here. "Oh you need that brand new iPad that just came out even though you got one last year? Educational expense!"

Reactions: 91Joe95
20 years from now, will almost all college athletics be club sports ?
The P5 conferences are in too deep IMO. They have to make their $500 million stadiums and arenas pay for themselves.

Kavanaugh: “Nowhere else in America can a business get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate.”

“This argument is circular and unpersuasive.”

It seems to me that fair market rate and Title IX are in direct contradiction.

20 years from now, will almost all college athletics be club sports ?
That is where I see it going. Ultimately what's going to happen, is all the booster and donor resources that once were mildly spread around, will be diverted to signing basketball and football players. There will be no room to prop up non revenue sports, schools that cannot afford to be involved in the arms race will be so out matched they won't be able to play in the same leagues.

I don't know exactly where it ends, maybe they recognize the disaster and make an attempt to go back to a relative normal? What is without question is college sports will be completely blown to bits by this.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I wouldn’t know how to respond to that. I suspect we’ll see quite a bit on this issue in coming days.
The exact same people who are screaming about paying the kids, are the same people losing their minds that the NCAA tournament doesn't treat men and women with the same perks.

You're gonna see a lot of twitter blue check marks puking on themselves trying to talk in circles the next 5 years.

Flood wasn't an amateur. That was more about free agency.
It was that a franchise didn't own your "rights" after the contract expired. SI's cover said, "Not Just a Flood by a Deluge".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT