ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship situation?

When I say I know everyone asks questions of who, what, where.

But if you're not going to divulge the information (and, to be clear, I don't think you should), what was the point of the comment?

Just to let us all know that you know?

Cool.

Reactions: Ski
When I say I know everyone asks questions of who, what, where.

Of course they want the info. And it's completely inappropriate for you put it out there. It's not anyone's business who is getting what amount of scholarship money.

And since you (rightly) aren't going to give the details, what's the point of bringing it up at all? If you have that info, good for you. Enjoy your exclusive access to program information quietly. I'm guessing whoever is telling you that information doesn't want it posted on a message board.

Penn State has a much longer endowment and donor list for wrestling than almost every school.
That ain't no fake, that's real. That's why they call Penn State Superman. Johnny Ola told Roar about Penn State. He brought Roar there. Roar didn't believe him, but seein' is believin', huh?...Old man Roth'd never come to Penn State, but old Johnny knows these places like the back of his hand.

jbAuBPq6Lf6F4_iadH6bXGSKjgYJLCtCSHm9uSRHapo.jpg

Reactions: jtothemfp
According to the Big Ten Conference Infractions Report, “Several of the conference members applied the conference rule continuously from the 1979-80 through the1990-91 academic years and, as a result, provided grants-in-aid in excess of those permitted by NCAA.” When considering the impact that this over-awarding of scholarships had on Iowa’s wrestling championships (the years of which are in bold type), we could visit www.NCAA.com and review the championship history of Division I wrestling, repeated below.

YearChampionPointsRunner-UpPoints
Margin of Victory
1993Iowa123.75Penn State87.5
36.25​
1992Iowa149Oklahoma State100.5
48.50​
1991Iowa157Oklahoma State108.75
48.25​
1990Oklahoma State117.75Arizona State104.75
1989Oklahoma State81.25Arizona State70.5
1988Arizona State93Iowa85.5
1987Iowa State133Iowa108
1986Iowa158Oklahoma84.25
73.75​
1985Iowa145.25Oklahoma98.5
46.75​
1984Iowa123.75Oklahoma State98
25.75​
1983Iowa155Oklahoma State102
53.00​
1982Iowa131.75Iowa State111
20.75​
1981Iowa129.75Oklahoma100.25
29.50​
1980Iowa110.75Oklahoma State87
23.75​
1979Iowa122.5Iowa State88
34.50​
1978Iowa94.5Iowa State94

The Hawks won by the narrowest of margins in 1978 over Iowa State; however, that was before the Big Ten rule was implemented.

My first take on the margins of victory was that the margins were too large to arrive at a different outcome.

However, consider the following: Whereas each school is allowed to award 9.9 scholarships over 10 weight classes, each weight class (on average) will have 0.99 scholarships to award to 2 or 3 wrestlers. If a recruit is a hammer and considered to be a 4-year starter, he might get 0.7 of a scholarship. The other kids at that weight are left with a much smaller scholarship. The Infractions Report reveals that Iowa wrestling over-awarded 7.39 scholarships during just the final four years of application of the Conference’s rule (an average of 1.85 scholarships per each of the four years). In addition to having as many wrestlers as any other school – Iowa could have brought in 2 or 3 additional hammers during the four years of the audit. Now, consider -- that at the National tournament -- a finalist can score almost 20 points more than a low level All American. Suddenly, Iowa’s championships during these years become tainted -- which sucks not only for Iowa, but for all of wrestling for Iowa and Dan Gable are icons of the sport.

I expect that this topic will be revisited in 7 years (when Cael will have won 15 national championships) and comparisons are drawn between Dan Gable (an incredible athlete and coach) to Cael (another incredible athlete and coach).

If The NCAA had some nards they would have vacated their victories during that period. This violation directly affected recruitment and the performance of the team.

That aside, what about today? Although CV-19 has been a disaster on nearly every front, it on paper may have benefited Iowa the most given thier squad being stacked with seniors. Sure they were favored last year, but we lost 2 national champs in the process. This year was a gift for them especially considering the absence of Ivy league schools. The short schedule screwed us over at 149 as well. The margin of victory was pretty slim, a healthy Berge and a qualified Beau close that gap, granted they lost points from injury as well.

In any case, it's just speculation but whatever plan Brands had on paper two years ago, in terms of the allocation of scholys and promises to recruits, has to be shot to hell. One might think the non starters would bear the brunt of the adjuistment. Just for the sake of argument, let's assume the Sr. starters average a 0.6 scholy, were are taking about taking 3.6 scholys out of the plan for other kids. Even at $20k per (I think it is more) you would have a handful of kids that would get caught with an unexpected $180k total of new burden. Ouch.

No wonder why the Iowa team photos never have smiles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT