ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship situation?

dtrainers

Gold Member
Aug 23, 2009
Anybody know how the scholarship situation works on the wrestling team these days?

Used to be that you had 9.9 full scholarships (I think) that were basically divided up amongst all the recruited wrestlers in various proportions. Everyone doesn't necessarily get the same amount, and the discount is off of tuition only. Is that still the formula and if so how does PSU dole that out (ie. do national champions get more that others, etc)?

Second, just curious how the extra year of eligibility will impact recruiting. I assume that the scholarship pie doesn't get bigger just because everyone got a freebie this year. And if that's the case, there might be a negative impact on this year's recruiting class nationally. Not as many schollies to hand out.

Just seems like there are some unintended consequences if everyone eligible comes back next year (thinking about the Iowa roster).

Anybody know how the scholarship situation works on the wrestling team these days?

Used to be that you had 9.9 full scholarships (I think) that were basically divided up amongst all the recruited wrestlers in various proportions. Everyone doesn't necessarily get the same amount, and the discount is off of tuition only. Is that still the formula and if so how does PSU dole that out (ie. do national champions get more that others, etc)?

Second, just curious how the extra year of eligibility will impact recruiting. I assume that the scholarship pie doesn't get bigger just because everyone got a freebie this year. And if that's the case, there might be a negative impact on this year's recruiting class nationally. Not as many schollies to hand out.

Just seems like there are some unintended consequences if everyone eligible comes back next year (thinking about the Iowa roster).
To answer this more seriously:

It will have little or no impact to this year's recruiting class. NLIs have been signed. Some recruits might get a little less money in 2022, but can make it back in future years.

Football and hoops waived the scholarship limit for returning seniors next year. It's not clear if this was done for winter or spring sports yet, or if so exactly how partials would be implemented. (Guessing super seniors would get the same amount as in 2021, everyone else rolls up to 9.9?)

That would be the NCAA cap. Schools would still have budget constraints. Iowa is not a clear case. You'd think they'd approve it, or at least let Brands fundraise the difference. But they cut sports, so that might be touchy.

Bottom line is, nobody knows.

Reactions: diggerpup
To answer this more seriously:

It will have little or no impact to this year's recruiting class. NLIs have been signed. Some recruits might get a little less money in 2022, but can make it back in future years.

Football and hoops waived the scholarship limit for returning seniors next year. It's not clear if this was done for winter or spring sports yet, or if so exactly how partials would be implemented. (Guessing super seniors would get the same amount as in 2021, everyone else rolls up to 9.9?)

That would be the NCAA cap. Schools would still have budget constraints. Iowa is not a clear case. You'd think they'd approve it, or at least let Brands fundraise the difference. But they cut sports, so that might be touchy.

Bottom line is, nobody knows.
Thanks, I guess we won’t really know until next Fall.

Any idea how PSU doles out schollies for wrestling? Anybody get a full ride or is everybody just on some different level of partial funding?

Thanks, I guess we won’t really know until next Fall.

Any idea how PSU doles out schollies for wrestling? Anybody get a full ride or is everybody just on some different level of partial funding?
Doubt anybody really knows, but most likely nobody gets a full ride. If anyone does, it's very judiciously done. Or they're Matt Brown or Manville on ROTC full ride.

Gotta remember the 9.9 limit isn't just for the starters + key recruits. Nearly everyone gets something, if even just book money. That helps ensure the program stays above water on APR even if some guys transfer out.

Reactions: diggerpup
Saying "9.9 full scholarships" is a bit confusing. Wrestling is an "equivalency" sport, unlike say football, which is a "head count" sport. For head count sports, every athlete on scholarship is on full scholarship. For equivalency sports, it's mostly partial scholarships that get added up to a total not to exceed the NCAA requirement. You're correct, that number for wrestling is 9.9. If memory serves me right, over the years, the number of wrestlers that received scholarship money of any level has ranged from the high teens to the low 30's.

Last edited:
Always mad math. I remember reading several yrs ago national champs got full rides at PSU. Could be wrong but it stuck in my mind because it was one of the few times there was some concrete info on schollies. It may not necessarily apply every year but NC’s must get a little more than most .

Moving forward fitting in NLee to a fifth year shouldn’t be as much of a problem as other programs have. Take Iowa for instance, they have 6 guys that have already been around for 4-6 yrs. How in the world will they fit them in with other recruits coming in?

It’s the university who must decide to absorb the extra cost of that aid. Coming out of COVID could be tough for some schools especially if sports are being eliminated.

Reactions: Ja1339
I really don't think specifics, even if you're 100% sure of them, should even be discussed here. There is absolutely no good that can come from this info being public.

The only possible exception to this would be Manville, because he is on ROTC scholarship, and those awards are not even necessarily full rides, as the military changes them, depending upon their needs.

You have a better chance of finding out who shot Kennedy than finding out how Cael handles scholarships. Really none of our business. PSU does have a big advantage though, kids are willing to take less to wrestle for the PSU coaching staff. They attract kids who have serious Olympic aspirations...those kids will pay more to hopefully maximize their chances of reaching that extremely lofty goal.

I really don't think specifics, even if you're 100% sure of them, should even be discussed here. There is absolutely no good that can come from this info being public.

The only possible exception to this would be Manville, because he is on ROTC scholarship, and those awards are not even necessarily full rides, as the military changes them, depending upon their needs.
@Str8DBLz, thanks for liking my post that was directed squarely at you. No good, whatsoever, can come from you posting the info you did. Please consider deleting it.

@Str8DBLz, thanks for liking my post that was directed squarely at you. No good, whatsoever, can come from you posting the info you did. Please consider deleting it.

student athletes are, more or less, employees and employees should discuss their salaries among themselves. that said, it's none of our business.

I wonder what genius came up with 9.9 for wrestling in the first place, for a sport with 10 starters? Are all equivalency sports intentionaly given just a fraction under what is needed for starters the intent? Say golf had 6 starters, would they receive 5.9? Cael has often said increasing the number would help the sport, it certainly makes some fairness sense to honor the intent of a full ride for starters, having maybe 14 scholys where the starters get a full l ride and the remaining 5 get split amongst the remaining 25ish kids send more sensible with a moderate financial impact to the university. 9.9 when viewed through the same lense as football, appears a travesty, and I get it that 9.9 provides smaller programs access to hammers, but if that is important why not limit football to say 45 scholys?

As for Iowa this year and next, no clue how they are making it work. One would think they have several very pissed recruits in the fold who are getting less than originally promised not to mention the extra bench time. Take someone like Kemerer. He still has to pay some fraction of the $40k/yr out of state tab. I am sure that wasn't in his budget 7 years ago.
It's noone's fault, but it is a harsh reality.

I don't like the idea of giving a free year to seniors as it does not benefit each university equally, but if ever there was a time to challenge the 9.9 this is the year.

I wonder what genius came up with 9.9 for wrestling in the first place, for a sport with 10 starters? Are all equivalency sports intentionaly given just a fraction under what is needed for starters the intent? Say golf had 6 starters, would they receive 5.9? Cael has often said increasing the number would help the sport, it certainly makes some fairness sense to honor the intent of a full ride for starters, having maybe 14 scholys where the starters get a full l ride and the remaining 5 get split amongst the remaining 25ish kids send more sensible with a moderate financial impact to the university. 9.9 when viewed through the same lense as football, appears a travesty, and I get it that 9.9 provides smaller programs access to hammers, but if that is important why not limit football to say 45 scholys?

As for Iowa this year and next, no clue how they are making it work. One would think they have several very pissed recruits in the fold who are getting less than originally promised not to mention the extra bench time. Take someone like Kemerer. He still has to pay some fraction of the $40k/yr out of state tab. I am sure that wasn't in his budget 7 years ago.

I don't like the idea of giving a free year to seniors as it does not benefit each university equally, but if ever there was a time to challenge the 9.9 this is the year.
In 1991, the NCAA cut all sport scholarships by 10%. Head count sports were rounded to a whole number, and equivalency sports were handled using simple math. Wrestling had 11, they were reduced to 9.9. A few other men's sports; baseball was 13, reduced to 11.7; fencing was 5, reduced to 4.5; golf was 5, reduced to 4.5; gymnastics was 7, reduced to 6.3; volleyball was 5, reduced to 4.5. It was not just a wrestling decision, but an NCAA change, approved overwhelmingly by university presidents, affecting every sport. The main reason for the change was to create parity.

Many D1 wrestling schools are not fully funded today (i.e. they do not have the resources for 9.9 scholarships). While some coaches would like to see scholarships increased, one consequence of an increase may be the death knell of those programs that are already playing from behind.

Wrestling had 11 scholarships when it was decided a 10% reduction across the board would be a grand idea. So 11 - 0.1x11 = 9.9

It used to be 11 scholarships, and it was a Title IX reduction of 10%, so thus 9.9. Except for Iowa. DG decided that he could manipulate BIG10 rules from 1979-1991 about the way grant-in aide was counted (MSU, Northwestern, and even $OSU followed the rules for all sports, and Illinois and Purdue did not extend extra for wrestling), contrary to NCAA rules. Over the 4 year audit, Iowa got an additional 7.39 scholarships (Indiana was second at 1.74 over 4 years). That is a HUGE advantage, and the time Iowa started dominating?

It used to be 11 scholarships, and it was a Title IX reduction of 10%, so thus 9.9. Except for Iowa. DG decided that he could manipulate BIG10 rules from 1979-1991 about the way grant-in aide was counted (MSU, Northwestern, and even $OSU followed the rules for all sports, and Illinois and Purdue did not extend extra for wrestling), contrary to NCAA rules. Over the 4 year audit, Iowa got an additional 7.39 scholarships (Indiana was second at 1.74 over 4 years). That is a HUGE advantage, and the time Iowa started dominating?
I've definitely heard this story before--but my memory of those days are a bit hazy (I was a kid). Was this scholarship disparity common knowledge at the time? Or did it come out later? Was there any action taken by the NCAA? I suppose I could google the web archives and find answers to my questions, but I'd be curious if anyone here has any thoughts.

I've definitely heard this story before--but my memory of those days are a bit hazy (I was a kid). Was this scholarship disparity common knowledge at the time? Or did it come out later? Was there any action taken by the NCAA? I suppose I could google the web archives and find answers to my questions, but I'd be curious if anyone here has any thoughts.
Here you go. BIG10 rules did not line up with NCAA rules. 7 of the 10 schools knowingly violated the NCAA rules, but 3 schools followed NCAA rules. Iowa, really pushed it in wrestling (many out off state recruits). The audit was for only 4 years, but the report goes from 79-91. PSU was not a BIG10 member at that time

FOR RELEASE: July 26, 1993, 2 p.m. (Central Time)
University of Oklahoma
BIG TEN CONFERENCE INFRACTIONS REPORT
OVERLAND PARK, KANSAS--This report is organized as follows:
I. Introduction.
II. Violations of NCAA legislation, as determined by the Committee on Infractions and as
admitted by the Big Ten Conference and the seven involved members of that conference.
III. Actions taken and penalties proposed by the Big Ten Conference and the involved seven
institutions.
VI. Committee on Infractions penalties.
I. Introduction.
In 1978, the Big Ten Conference, an associate member of the NCAA, revised its financial aid
equivalency rule for sports other than football and basketball, rendering the conference rule
inconsistent with NCAA regulations in certain instances. The amended rule excluded the extra
costs of out_of_state tuition from the computation of equivalencies.
In 1979, in a series of letters between a representative from the office of the commissioner of the
Big Ten Conference and an NCAA assistant executive director, the NCAA clearly indicated to
the Big Ten Conference office that the newly revised rule was contrary to NCAA regulations and
would have to be amended. Despite those warnings, the rule was not changed. Several of the
conference members applied the conference rule continuously from the 1979-80 through the
1990_91 academic years and, as a result, provided grants-in-aid in excess of those permitted by
NCAA Bylaw 15.5.3.1.
Throughout the period when the conference rule was in use, questions of its validity were raised
by a number of individuals from various member institutions. Indeed, in 1984, the conference
sponsored an amendment to NCAA legislation that would have applied the rule nationally. That
attempt, however, was defeated. There is no evidence that at any time did the NCAA or any of
its staff members inform the conference that the rule [Page 2] was in compliance with NCAA
legislation, although conference member institutions may have believed a supposition to that
effect.
On October 22, 1990, on the recommendation of the commissioner of the Big Ten Conference,
the conference rule was rescinded. On March 27, 1991, the NCAA assistant executive director
for enforcement and eligibility appeals, subsequent to a review of the equivalencies granted by
two members of the conference, wrote to the commissioner asking for information regarding the
method by which member institutions had been calculating equivalency grants-in-aid. The
commissioner responded on July 29, 1991, with a letter giving the history of the conference rule
and the practices of conference members.
On February 21, 1992, the NCAA assistant executive director for enforcement and eligibility
appeals sent a letter to the commissioner requesting that each member institution audit its records
in order to determine the actual impact of the application of the conference rule during the last
two years it had been in effect.
In accordance with that request, the conference members undertook an audit for the 1989_90 and
1990_91 academic years. The report reflected that seven member institutions (the University of
Illinois, Champaign; Indiana University; the University of Iowa; the University of Michigan;
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; Purdue University, and the University of Wisconsin,
Madison) had overawarded grants_in_aid in men's and women's equivalency sports. Three
universities (Michigan State University, Northwestern University, and Ohio State University)
either did not utilize the conference rule or did not make any overawards. The conference
requested that the violations be processed as secondary and that each institution that had made
overawards be permitted, as a penalty, to reduce by the amount of the overawards the number of
new awards over a two_year period.
On August 20, 1992, the NCAA assistant executive director for enforcement and eligibility
appeals informed the conference that the violations could not be processed as secondary and that
the NCAA enforcement staff would investigate the matter. Interviews were conducted with
current and former conference officials, institutional faculty athletics representatives, and others.
On December 9, 1992, the NCAA enforcement staff informed the conference and each of the
involved seven member schools that apparent violations of the NCAA equivalency regulations
had occurred, and recommended that the conference and the involved institutions conduct further
interviews and collect more information regarding the violations and any competitive advantages
that may have resulted. An NCAA director of enforcement suggested, and the conference and
involved institutions agreed, that the matter should be processed utilizing the
summary_disposition process.
Throughout the investigation, the NCAA enforcement staff and the conference worked in
harmony to ascertain the facts. The conference and its members were fully cooperative.
On January 20, 1993, the summary-disposition report of the conference and the seven involved
member institutions was filed with the NCAA. The report detailed the overawards that occurred
during the 1989_90 and 1990_91 academic years. The conference and its involved members
submitted a [Page 3] supplemental report detailing the overawards in the 1987_88 and 1988_89
academic years, as well as in the 1989_90 and 1990_91 academic years, plus any information
regarding overawards in any year for teams involved in NCAA championships. This
supplemental report was completed on January 22, 1993. The conference determined that the
method utilized by some of its members to complete this latter report was inaccurate and,
accordingly, submitted a corrected statement on January 29, 1993.
Following a complete review of this summary-disposition report, the Committee on Infractions
requested that the conference file a supplemental report with regard to the finding of facts and
the proposed penalties. This report was received on June 14, 1993.
II. Violations of NCAA legislation, as determined by the Committee on Infractions and as
admitted by the Big Ten Conference and the seven involved members of that conference
[University of Illinois, Champaign; Indiana University; University of Iowa; University of
Michigan; University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; Purdue University, and University of
Wisconsin, Madison].
[NCAA Constitution 3.3.4.1 and Bylaw 15.5.3.1]
During the period from the 1979_80 through the 1990_91 academic years, the conference
encouraged its conference institutions to utilize a formula for awarding institutionally
administered athletics financial aid in equivalency sports that was contrary to NCAA legislation.
The seven institutions utilized this formula, resulting in a number of overawards.
During the 1987_88 academic year, six institutions overawarded an aggregate of 16.05 grants in
men's equivalency sports, and one institution overawarded an aggregate of .59 of one grant in
women's equivalency sports.
During the 1988_89 academic year, these same six institutions overawarded an aggregate of
12.757 grants in men's equivalency sports, and two institutions overawarded an aggregate of 1.93
grants in women's equivalency sports.
During the 1987_88 and 1988_89 academic years, one of the involved seven institutions did not
make any overawards. In the 1989_90 academic year, all seven institutions overawarded an
aggregate of 18.309 grants in men's equivalency sports, and one institution overawarded an
aggregate of 1.28 grants in women's equivalency sports.
Finally, during the 1990_91 academic year, all seven institutions overawarded an aggregate of
13.17 grants in men's equivalency sports, and four institutions overawarded an aggregate of
1.475 grants in women's equivalency sports. [Pag 4]
III. Actions taken and penalties proposed by the Big Ten Conference and the involved seven
institutions.
A. The Big Ten Conference regulation that resulted in the overawarding of grants_in_aid has
been rescinded, and all member schools currently recognize their obligation to comply with
NCAA regulations regarding equivalency computations.
B. The following penalties were proposed by the Big Ten Conference and the seven involved
institutions:
1. That the Big Ten Conference be publicly reprimanded and censured.
2. That certain sports teams of the involved member institutions that realized financial aid
advantages during the 1987-88, 1988-89, 1989-90 and 1990-91 academic years would reduce
future grants-in-aid by a similar amount over a four-year period. This four-year period would
begin immediately or at the earliest time the institution would be able to reduce financial aid in
that sport without reducing the financial aid of currently enrolled student-athletes with remaining
eligibility. (An exception to this approach would apply if affected institutions had implemented
such reductions during the 1992-93 academic year.) The exact reductions in financial grants-inaids
associated with the proposed penalties are as follows:
a. University of Illinois, Champaign
(1) Baseball -- 1.77
(2) Men's cross country and track -- .81
(3) Men's gymnastics -- .48
(4) Men's tennis -- .33
Total -- 3.39
b. Indiana University
(1) Baseball -- 5.36
(2) Men's cross country and track -- 2.57
(3) Men's golf -- 1.00
(4) Men's soccer -- 1.73
(5) Men's swimming and diving -- 2.80
(6) Men's tennis -- 1.32
(7) Wrestling -- 1.74
(8) Women's golf -- .45
(9) Softball -- .62
Total -- 17.59
c. University of Iowa
(1) Baseball -- 6.83
(2) Men's cross country and track -- .08
(3) Men's golf -- 1.46
[Page 5]
(4) Men's gymnastics -- .28
(5) Men's swimming and diving -- 2.26
(6) Men's tennis -- 1.22
(7) Wrestling -- 7.39
Total -- 19.52
d. University of Michigan
(1) Baseball -- 1.03
(2) Men's cross country and track -- .37
(3) Men's swimming and diving -- .57
(4) Wrestling -- .60
Total -- 2.57
e. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
(1) Baseball -- 4.46
(2) Men's cross country and track -- 1.73
(3) Men's golf -- .78
(4) Men's gymnastics -- 2.09
(5) Men's swimming and diving -- .19
(6) Men's tennis -- .99
(7) Wrestling -- 1.73
(8) Softball -- .70
(9) Women's swimming and diving -- 2.65
Total -- 15.32
f. Purdue University
(1) Baseball -- .32
(2) Men's cross country and track -- 1.51
(3) Women's golf -- .44
Total -- 2.27
g. University of Wisconsin, Madison
(1) Baseball -- .210
(2) Men's cross country and track -- .417
(3) Men's golf -- .020
(4) Men's gymnastics -- .630
(5) Men's swimming and diving -- 2.344
(6) Wrestling -- .865
(7) Women's soccer -- .415
Total -- 4.901
IV. Committee on Infractions penalties.
The committee found that this case involved a major violation of NCAA legislation by the Big
Ten Conference and resulted in a series of [Page 6] secondary violations by the seven involved
members of the conference. NCAA Bylaw 19.5.2.2 as adopted by the Association's membership,
requires prescribed minimum penalties in the finding of a major violation, subject to exceptions
authorized by the Committee on Infractions in unique cases.
The Committee on Infractions determined that this was a "unique" case because of the
involvement of the conference office. The committee also determined that because of a lack of
intent on the part of the individual institutions to violate NCAA regulations or to gain a
competitive advantage, the thoroughness of the investigation of the allegations, and the complete
cooperation with the NCAA enforcement staff by the conference office and the member
institutions in the processing of the case, less than the full set of minimum penalties should be
required in this case. In that regard, the actions taken by the Committee on Infractions are as
follows:
A. Adoption of the penalties proposed by the Big Ten Conference and the individual involved
institutions as set forth in Part III of this report.
B. Reduction of the NCAA grant to the conference for 1993-94 by $75,000.
The Committee on Infractions wishes to advise the conference and the institutions that when the
penalties in this case take effect, the conference and the institutions should take every precaution
to ensure that their terms are observed. The committee intends to monitor the penalties during
their effective periods, and any actions contrary to the terms of the penalties shall be considered
grounds for considering the imposition of more severe sanctions.
Should any portion of any of the penalties be set aside for any reason other than by appropriate
action by the Association, the penalties shall be reconsidered by the Committee on Infractions.
Should any actions by NCAA Conventions directly or indirectly modify any provisions of these
penalties, the committee reserves the right to review and reconsider the penalties.
NCAA COMMITTEE ON INFRACTIONS
Jack H. Friedenthal
Roy F. Kramer
Beverly E. Ledbetter
David Swank (chair)
RFK:cg/aj
-30-

c. University of Iowa
(7) Wrestling -- 7.39
Total -- 19.52
giphy.gif

I didn't give names

But if you're not going to divulge the information (and, to be clear, I don't think you should), what was the point of the comment?

Just to let us all know that you know?

Cool.

So their penalty, via the Big Ten, was to reduce their ships by the same amount, but over four years. Iowa Wrestling had 7+ ships over 12 years and had to pay them back over 4 years.

Right?

Just a point of clarification to your original premise. The amount of scholarship an athlete gets is muliplied by the the total cost of attendence. That means its just not tuition, but room, board, books, travel, etc. So for example a junior out-of-state athlete that has a .3 scholarship would have received about $16,000(.3 x $53,364) in aid for the 20-21 school year.

Reactions: dtrainers
... on the other hand many public employees salaries are public information, so...

(Just being a devil's advocate. Don't care to know.)
That’s raises a good point. Do we really know that salary information causes strife? And if so, is the strife bad or good? In the workplace, secret salaries let and lets women be underpaid for identical work and qualifications. And secret salaries might cause stress from wondering and imagination and conspiracy theories. Maybe sunlight helps more than it hurts? I don’t care to know, either, and am just joining 98lber in questioning assumptions.

student athletes are, more or less, employees and employees should discuss their salaries among themselves.

While I agree with this in some aspects in regards to the workforce, it doesn't quite fit in the college wrestling scenario.

The universities have a set amount of scholarships, there is no wiggle room. In order for one wrestler to get more scolarship money, it is at the expense of another.

So their penalty, via the Big Ten, was to reduce their ships by the same amount, but over four years. Iowa Wrestling had 7+ ships over 12 years and had to pay them back over 4 years.

Right?
In Iowa's instance, they had an additional 7.39 scholarships, over the audited 4 year period. Correct that they had to reduce these over a 4 year period (as long as it didn't affect any current athletes, which would drag out the reduction longer, but shallower in scope). But, the 7.39 was only on a 4 year period, and not the entire 13 year period of the "practice". Easy to surmise that this was violated each year by the teams involved (as shown when the initial 2 year audit found issues, and then the NCAA asked for 2 additional years auditing to find the 4 year total - not all 13 years were audited).

Reactions: SRATH
While I agree with this in some aspects in regards to the workforce, it doesn't quite fit in the college wrestling scenario.

The universities have a set amount of scholarships, there is no wiggle room. In order for one wrestler to get more scolarship money, it is at the expense of another.

you're right, salary caps are inherently anti-labor which is why there are players unions in professional sports

That’s raises a good point. Do we really know that salary information causes strife? And if so, is the strife bad or good? In the workplace, secret salaries let and lets women be underpaid for identical work and qualifications. And secret salaries might cause stress from wondering and imagination and conspiracy theories. Maybe sunlight helps more than it hurts? I don’t care to know, either, and am just joining 98lber in questioning assumptions.
I think the rule is 50%. If exactly half of all individuals discuss their salaries, that would be ok. If it's more or less than 50%, then someone should step in and make the call. o_O

... on the other hand many public employees salaries are public information, so...

(Just being a devil's advocate. Don't care to know.)

absolutely, that's how we know the highest paid state employee in most states is a football or basketball coach

In Iowa's instance, they had an additional 7.39 scholarships, over the audited 4 year period. Correct that they had to reduce these over a 4 year period (as long as it didn't affect any current athletes, which would drag out the reduction longer, but shallower in scope). But, the 7.39 was only on a 4 year period, and not the entire 13 year period of the "practice". Easy to surmise that this was violated each year by the teams involved (as shown when the initial 2 year audit found issues, and then the NCAA asked for 2 additional years auditing to find the 4 year total - not all 13 years were audited).
Iowa’s response: “Yawn, the horses are already in the stable.”

Saint Gable generally gets a pass on this from the adoring wrestling public, but did you ever wonder why he was only voted Coach of The Year three times despite his teams decimating the competition year in and year out? Could it be because his peers didn’t take none too kindly to Gable violating the rules and loading up his room with the equivalent of an extra two “Troy Steiners’” a year over the period of the investigation?

The downside is how relatively expensive Penn State is.
50% of 35,000 leaves a lot more to pay than 50% of 20,000.
I would be shocked if there weren’t a variety of tools used to overcome this comparative disadvantage.

Iowa’s response: “Yawn, the horses are already in the stable.”

Saint Gable generally gets a pass on this from the adoring wrestling public, but did you ever wonder why he was only voted Coach of The Year three times despite his teams decimating the competition year in and year out? Could it be because his peers didn’t take none too kindly to Gable violating the rules and loading up his room with the equivalent of an extra two “Troy Steiners’” a year over the period of the investigation?
So that was one of my questions--it was commonly known that this was ocurring while it was occurring? That seems crazy to me. I mean, I know, it's the NCAA, but still.....

The downside is how relatively expensive Penn State is.
50% of 35,000 leaves a lot more to pay than 50% of 20,000.
I would be shocked if there weren’t a variety of tools used to overcome this comparative disadvantage.
Penn State has a much longer endowment and donor list for wrestling than almost every school. I didn't look it up, but we have to be top-5.

ADVERTISEMENT