ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano to Rutgers (link)

$4 million a year and a private jet for a guy that didn’t go .500 last time he was there, in a crappier conference. Amazing

Too much public pressure to cowtow to his demands plus a dearth of any coaches interested in the job that would move the needle. Schiano had Rutgers bent over the barrel.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Don't really know any other coach that has at least some profile that would want this job. Rutgers really had no choice.

If they make a bowl in any of the next 4 years it is a win for Rutgers.

All of this buildup and the “Schiano as savior” talk is going to make his inevitable failure there all the more spectacular. He’s turned every team he’s touched since Rutgers into garbage.

No life insurance company in the World should issue a policy to a Rutgers fan. In a few years when the depressing reality of this monumental f$$k up of a hire sinks in the suicide rate is going to be staggering.

Thank god both my kids are graduating in less than 2 years. I could see tuition going up by 20% for this nonsense. Coach Campanile was handed a nightmare and he did a darn good job considering the mess Chris Ash left him. Why not give Nunzio Campanile a real shot at a fraction of the cost? What the simpletons pushing for Schiano do not understand is that winning in a water down Big East conference is profoundly different to winning in the Big 10 conference. He’s going to do the same thing he did in the BE, schedule very weak OOC teams and hope he could beat two of the following Illinois, Purdue, Indiana or Minnesota. All for 200 million in new spending (in salary & facility upgrades). All this on the backs of NJ taxpayers.

Last edited:
Thank god both my kids are graduating in less than 2 years. I could see tuition going up by 20% for this nonsense. Coach Campanile was handed a nightmare and he did a darn good job considering the mess Chris Ash left him. Why not give Nunzio Campanile a real shot at a fraction of the cost? What the simpletons pushing for Schiano’s higher do not understand that winning in a water down Big East conference is profoundly different to winning in the Big 10 conference. He’s going to load up an embarrassing OOC schedule and hope he could beat two of the following Illinois, Purdue, Indiana or Minnesota. All for 200 million (in salary & facility upgrades) on the backs of NJ taxpayers.
I thought the kids played well for your interim coach and there was innovative thought that went into the game plan . Sometimes the answer is not found in the past. Only at Rutgers could Schiano get those dollars again.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Thank god both my kids are graduating in less than 2 years. I could see tuition going up by 20% for this nonsense. Coach Campanile was handed a nightmare and he did a darn good job considering the mess Chris Ash left him. Why not give Nunzio Campanile a real shot at a fraction of the cost. What the simpletons pushing for Schiano’s higher do not understand that winning in a water down Big East conference is profoundly different to winning in the Big 10 conference. He’s going to load up an embarrassing OOC schedule and hope he could beat two of the following Illinois, Purdue, Indiana or Minnesota. All for 200 million (in salary & facility upgrades) on the backs of NJ taxpayers.
I don't get the adoration for this guy either.They must have at least thought about coach C but guess they thought maybe Greg will not be available later.Ability wise I look at how well Osu has played on defense this year as opposed to last year.Its night and day.
who knows but the bars not high so five or six wins and he will be knighted

I don't get the adoration for this guy either.They must have at least thought about coach C but guess they thought maybe Greg will not be available later.Ability wise I look at how well Osu has played on defense this year as opposed to last year.Its night and day.
who knows but the bars not high so five or six wins and he will be knighted
Knighted, someone with a brain should use the sword to lop off the heads of the idiots that thought this is a good idea. Rutgers was in a ridiculous bidding war with itself to hire a retread egomaniac that no one else wanted.

Reactions: brupsu and RU31trap
Thank god both my kids are graduating in less than 2 years. I could see tuition going up by 20% for this nonsense. Coach Campanile was handed a nightmare and he did a darn good job considering the mess Chris Ash left him. Why not give Nunzio Campanile a real shot at a fraction of the cost? What the simpletons pushing for Schiano’s higher do not understand that winning in a water down Big East conference is profoundly different to winning in the Big 10 conference. He’s going to load up an embarrassing OOC schedule and hope he could beat two of the following Illinois, Purdue, Indiana or Minnesota. All for 200 million (in salary & facility upgrades) on the backs of NJ taxpayers.

Ash was a better choice for RU, and the interim guy did a heckuva job yesterday. when Schiano had that good year, it was different setting. RU is in the BIG East which is the toughest conf in CFB. there are many forces against any upstart in this conference. if RU moved to ACC Coastal - maybe a different story.

$4 million a year and a private jet for a guy that didn’t go .500 last time he was there, in a crappier conference. Amazing

But that was the high water mark. Probably worth every penny, especially once the full share of B1G revenues kick in.

I realize Rutgers is in the East but if teams like Indiana, Minnesota, NW can put together 8+ win seasons then Rutgers could get to 7 wins with the right coach. Schedule OOC cupcakes to go 3-0, beat Maryland to get to 4 wins and then win 3 of the cross over games against the West. That IMO is not an impossible task and will be Schiano's blueprint for the program. I would think the majority of the fanbase isn't asking for 10 win seasons, but 7-8 wins seems a realistic goal. They will be kind of like a Pitt in that he will likely get a couple good local kids to stay home who end up having success in the NFL that the fans can thump their chest about as well.

Reactions: BigLou

I agree. As a Penn State fan, I would FAR prefer to have Schiano in there than Campanile, who would probably hire his brother as an assistant. They would be able to recruit the heck out of Jersey. Would probably be able to keep some of the guys we and the rest of the big boys get out of there. From what I hear, Schanio pi$$ed off a lot of the Jersey high school coaches when he left.

Plus, Campanile coached a great game against us yesterday. Maybe the best I've ever seen a Rutgers coach coach against us.

If I'm a Rutgers fan, I'm pi$$ed right now. Like I said in another thread. It's never a good thing when the Administration and Head Coach start off with a hate/hate relationship.

Thank god both my kids are graduating in less than 2 years. I could see tuition going up by 20% for this nonsense. Coach Campanile was handed a nightmare and he did a darn good job considering the mess Chris Ash left him. Why not give Nunzio Campanile a real shot at a fraction of the cost? What the simpletons pushing for Schiano do not understand that winning in a water down Big East conference is profoundly different to winning in the Big 10 conference. He’s going to do the same thing he did in the BE, schedule very weak OOC teams and hope he could beat two of the following Illinois, Purdue, Indiana or Minnesota. All for 200 million (in salary & facility upgrades) on the backs of NJ taxpayers.

Thanks. As a N.J. taxpayer you just made my afternoon. Oy.

Don't really know any other coach that has at least some profile that would want this job. Rutgers really had no choice.

If they make a bowl in any of the next 4 years it is a win for Rutgers.

And no other P5 program was interested in Schiano. They are perfect together.

I guess that BiG10 money coming soon has now been spent - can’t see this ending well for anyone except Schiano and he bank account.

rutgres football has taken loans from the B1G against future payments, borrowed big time from the university to fund the program, and receive an unprecedented student assessment. They are fully mortgaged which is why they couldn’t afford most of Schiano’s demands. Even with the B1G money the program is broke.

rutgres football has taken loans from the B1G against future payments, borrowed big time from the university to fund the program, and receive an unprecedented student assessment. They are fully mortgaged which is why they couldn’t afford most of Schiano’s demands. Even with the B1G money the program is broke.
When in God’s name is being broke ever stopped stupid people or stupid organizations from plunging ahead?

Reactions: Ski and NJ Lion
After burning britches with NJ HS coaches, he may need to rehire D'Onofrio and steal away Golden from Detroit to be able to effectively recruit NJ again. I'm sure Mark would be chomping at the bit to work for him again.

After burning britches with NJ HS coaches, he may need to rehire D'Onofrio and steal away Golden from Detroit to be able to effectively recruit NJ again. I'm sure Mark would be chomping at the bit to work for him again.
the way things are going in Detroit he may not need to steal Golden.

ADVERTISEMENT