ADVERTISEMENT

Schembechler knew his football players were being molested, told them to "toughen up." | UPDATE: FORCED SPERM SAMPLES

I believe he’s comparing the shows ”Homicide: Life on the Streets” and “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit”….. but I could be wrong.
I get that, but what does that have to do with the topic at hand, or even salad tongs?

I get that, but what does that have to do with the topic at hand, or even salad tongs?
I could barely make out what I did. It took me a bit to figure out that "Feminist Puritan Law and ordah the Suv" wasn't two different shows (I kept reading it as "'Feminist Puritan Law' and 'Ordah the SUV'"). I still don't understand the comparison part. You can't expect me to know about salad tongs too.

I'm gonna repeat this for all of you buying into this. If what these handful of people are saying is true there wouldn't be anyone defending Bo Schembecler. They're literally saying that it was spoken about and understood that players were threatened with rape if they didn't play well. There is literally NO WAY this is true, I'm sorry.

I'm gonna repeat this for all of you buying into this. If what these handful of people are saying is true there wouldn't be anyone defending Bo Schembecler. They're literally saying that it was spoken about and understood that players were threatened with rape if they didn't play well. There is literally NO WAY this is true, I'm sorry.
I take the sons story with a grain of salt but I believe the former players. I don't think any of them would admit to this if it wasn't true. I mean there's very little to gain if anything and much more to lose for them.
I believe Jarrod Bunch.
This is not a group of "troubled" adults who are are lining up for the gravy train handouts that the PSU BOT's gave away.

How exactly do you define "handful of people"?

I don't think you can say there is no way it is true.

And I'm not sure the threat was "rape". The threat was go to see "Doctor Drop Your Drawers".

My guess is that the football staff knew that players did not like to see Dr. Anderson which is why this was a "threat". It may have also been said joking, which for those who had been assaulted, I'm sure was not funny.

I am not sure the staff widely knew that assaults were occurring. However, they probably should have known, and for those staff member (including Bo) who were told there were issues (even as benign as "what's the deal with that doctor?") it is clear they needed to look into this.

This was someone ON THEIR STAFF treating THEIR PLAYERS. There needed to be oversight to make sure this kind of thing wasn't happening. There wasn't. That's a huge failure at multiple levels. So unless you think that Bo had no say in Dr. Anderson being the team physician (I think it is pretty well documented that this was not the case), it is at a minimum a horrible failure in managing the safety of his players.

[As an aside: for anyone who is comparing this to the Sandusky/Paterno situation, Sandusky was not on Paterno's staff in 2001 and did not commit any assaults while acting in his official capacity as a coach. This is very different from the Anderson/Bo situation]

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
Handful? It's more like hundreds of handfuls.

I take the sons story with a grain of salt but I believe the former players. I don't think any of them would admit to this if it wasn't true. I mean there's very little to gain if anything and much more to lose for them.
I believe Jarrod Bunch.
This is not a group of "troubled" adults who are are lining up for the gravy train handouts that the PSU BOT's gave away.

I want to clarify, I am not saying that I don't believe that this doctor was an abuser. What I am saying is the attempt to tie Schembechler is where it gets hairy.

1. As previously stated, if what these players are alleging are true, the entire football program and everyone involved for many years knew about this. It's just not a feasible concept. Either they are massively exaggerating Bo's involvement or outright lying about it.

2. You say they aren't "troubled adults". But they aren't successful millionaire football players either. Strange Jim Harbaugh never got abused? He was there when Bunch was there and everybody knew about it right? Bunch had 2 mediocre NFL seasons before he got injured, and didn't like Bo obviously, for reasons beyond the alleged abuse. I believe he probably was abused, do I think it's possible he mentally tied it to Bo and his bad experience with them?

Again, the financial benefit of tying it to the famous football coach cannot be understated.

I want to clarify, I am not saying that I don't believe that this doctor was an abuser. What I am saying is the attempt to tie Schembechler is where it gets hairy.

1. As previously stated, if what these players are alleging are true, the entire football program and everyone involved for many years knew about this. It's just not a feasible concept. Either they are massively exaggerating Bo's involvement or outright lying about it.

2. You say they aren't "troubled adults". But they aren't successful millionaire football players either. Strange Jim Harbaugh never got abused? He was there when Bunch was there and everybody knew about it right? Bunch had 2 mediocre NFL seasons before he got injured, and didn't like Bo obviously, for reasons beyond the alleged abuse. I believe he probably was abused, do I think it's possible he mentally tied it to Bo and his bad experience with them?

Again, the financial benefit of tying it to the famous football coach cannot be understated.
"
A report produced by Washington, D.C.-based law firm WilmerHale last month, commissioned and paid for by the school, concluded that several high-level administrators at Michigan — including Bo Schembechler — were made aware of the abuse and did little, if anything, to stop it.

In fact, Matt Schembechler says, Bo did just the opposite. He reversed a decision by then-Michigan athletic director Don Canham to fire Anderson, who is alleged to have sexually assaulted more than 800 students, mostly men, during his time as director of Michigan’s health services and head doctor for the athletic department.

“Bo had him reinstated,” Schembechler said. “Because he needed his team doctor and wanted to ensure that Anderson would remain a part of the team.”"

Now contrast that with Joe who didn't want JS around and was over ruled by...Erickson.

So Harbs is a straight up guy and paragon of virtue but Bunch isn't. Gotcha.

Reactions: bison13 and PSU2UNC
There are not hundreds and hundreds of players alleging it was well known by everyone in the program and that Bo Schembechler used this as a motivator
Okay, maybe I don't know how many is in a handful. When talking about nuts, a handful is as many nuts as you can hold in your hand. When talking about people, I assume a handful is five -- the number of fingers you have to count those people. So hundreds of handfuls is maybe an exaggeration since a hundred handfuls would be 500. But the count is in the hundreds, not five (your initial post to which I responded said a handful of people).

Reactions: bison13
Okay, maybe I don't know how many is in a handful. When talking about nuts, a handful is as many nuts as you can hold in your hand. When talking about people, I assume a handful is five -- the number of fingers you have to count those people. So hundreds of handfuls is maybe an exaggeration since a hundred handfuls would be 500. But the count is in the hundreds, not five (your initial post to which I responded said a handful of people).
I'm going to repeat myself because you do not seem to be acknowledging this which is the only thing I'm arguing against.

Are you saying there are hundreds of people that are saying the entire football program knew and that it was used as a fear tactic to get players to play better? Because I have not seen that anywhere.

Say it with me. “F*ck all things michigan.” It isn’t complicated.

I'm going to repeat myself because you do not seem to be acknowledging this which is the only thing I'm arguing against.

Are you saying there are hundreds of people that are saying the entire football program knew and that it was used as a fear tactic to get players to play better? Because I have not seen that anywhere.
That's what Jarrod Bunch seems to imply in the article.

"
A report produced by Washington, D.C.-based law firm WilmerHale last month, commissioned and paid for by the school, concluded that several high-level administrators at Michigan — including Bo Schembechler — were made aware of the abuse and did little, if anything, to stop it.

In fact, Matt Schembechler says, Bo did just the opposite. He reversed a decision by then-Michigan athletic director Don Canham to fire Anderson, who is alleged to have sexually assaulted more than 800 students, mostly men, during his time as director of Michigan’s health services and head doctor for the athletic department.

“Bo had him reinstated,” Schembechler said. “Because he needed his team doctor and wanted to ensure that Anderson would remain a part of the team.”"

Now contrast that with Joe who didn't want JS around and was over ruled by...Erickson.

So Harbs is a straight up guy and paragon of virtue but Bunch isn't. Gotcha.
Yep, and just like the media never read the Freeh report, I'm sure absolutely none of you read this extensive report.

Well, I can tell you Bo is hardly mentioned in the report. 3 ex football players interviewed claimed they told Bo about it. 1 said he told the player he would report it and look into it, another player said Bo told him to report it to the administration, 3rd player said he told him to toughen up. The report notes they interviewed many people who worked with and around the football program who said if Bo was aware of something like that they were sure he would do something about it. More importantly, nobody alleged anything like these players are alleging. That it was so widespread and used as a motivating tool.

Wouldn't you argue, if anything like some of these (yes handful) of players are alleging, that a report this extensive would be able to find hundreds of people who could tell supporting stories?

That's what Jarrod Bunch seems to imply in the article.
Lol yes I'm aware that's my point. I missed the part where the roughly 200 football players that were playing during Bunch's time at Michigan, are coming out and saying they all knew about the abuse and Bo used it to get players to play better.

Lol yes I'm aware that's my point. I missed the part where the roughly 200 football players that were playing during Bunch's time at Michigan, are coming out and saying they all knew about the abuse and Bo used it to get players to play better.
Well, I just don't see why Bunch would be lying. I could see the son lying since he has history that makes him less credible to a point. But what is Bunch getting out of this now? And the other former players? And maybe it just comes down to Bunch finally realized it was abuse and the others are still in denial. I don't know the answer. So maybe your point could be valid. But I doubt it.

Yep, and just like the media never read the Freeh report, I'm sure absolutely none of you read this extensive report.

Well, I can tell you Bo is hardly mentioned in the report. 3 ex football players interviewed claimed they told Bo about it. 1 said he told the player he would report it and look into it, another player said Bo told him to report it to the administration, 3rd player said he told him to toughen up. The report notes they interviewed many people who worked with and around the football program who said if Bo was aware of something like that they were sure he would do something about it. More importantly, nobody alleged anything like these players are alleging. That it was so widespread and used as a motivating tool.

Wouldn't you argue, if anything like some of these (yes handful) of players are alleging, that a report this extensive would be able to find hundreds of people who could tell supporting stories?
I don't really care how many times Bo's name is mentioned. IMO this is the one that screams the loudest (that is if you don't think the son is being completely honest)
“Bo had him reinstated,” Schembechler said. “Because he needed his team doctor and wanted to ensure that Anderson would remain a part of the team.”""
Doesn't sound like Bo putting the good of the University in front of the team. Something about "culture".

Read this story about Chuck Christian, a TE for UM 78-81. He now suffers from stage 4 prostrate cancer because of his fear of having a prostrate exam from his family Doctor because of Dr. Anderson. Very sad story
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbo...-prostate-cancer-and-just-months-to-live.html

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92
ADVERTISEMENT