ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule will be 8+1

Just one team has a breakout and the whole things crumbles. How do you choose East/West championship teams if not all teams played 8 games?
The whole thing is set up to almost certainly fail and it makes me think why even bother. It's almost like the medical people said "Fine, you can play" but then dragged it out long enough such that it won't work anyway.

1 thing to remember is, you have a full team of 85 that can play. This year doesnt count vs your 5 so, if there is an outbreak, teams will just have to play the back ups, and there should be plenty with those kinds of numbers.

I would agree, I guess I am saying if they started a week earlier and left an open week before the championship game for any game that is postponed.
I agree totally.... to me the teams have been practicing and I see zero sense in starting the 24th over the 17th. That week would give them wiggle room, it does give the optics of the big 10 heads really don't want to play this season and would like to shut this all down before the season even gets started.

I want to see these games AT Minnesota, AT Wisconsin, AT MSU, AT Michigan..... in late November & December. But hey, it's all about the safety & health of the players .

So now you're worried it might be too cold for these kids to play? Snowflake.

• Haha
Reactions: db90 and PearlSUJam
If the teams have been practicing for weeks, why does it take until 10/24 to get ready to play?

Normally a team gets ready to play the season during 20 Fall practices starting in mid-August. Haven't the teams been practicing for a couple of weeks already. A reasonable time line would be starting October 3rd, which is still 2.5 weeks away.....

Haven't the protocols for testing been in place during the organized practices during these past weeks, and the rapid testing plan for implementation set up? It's as if the losers in the B10 are hoping that something happens in the interim to cause even games on 10/24 to be cancelled....

:oops: :oops:
Totally agree. Also, the 21 day mandatory out for someone who simply tests positive is a killer if playing a short schedule. I can accept 2 weeks of Q if no symptoms, but 3?

Listen to all the folks complaining now who complained every single freakin' day about the Big10 not playing. Get over it. What is wrong with the schedule they proposed. Wait as long as possible to get a full season in. That gives teams time to prepare. I've seen the Pac12 say that they need 6 weeks to get game ready. Yes, teams have been practiceing 12 hours a week, but no contact. And it also gives the Big10 a chance to see if the ACC, SEC, and Big12 can really pull it off. What is wrong with that? It takes a bye week away. Big deal. All the same issues would still apply if you had a bye week (eg if you had your Covid outbreak after said bye week). The Big10 is playing. Be happy.

So now you're worried it might be too cold for these kids to play? Snowflake.

No. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the crowd who claimed this was all about health & safety. On one hand it was all about health & safety to cancel. So now on the other hand, we are going to be exposing these players to about 1 month of games that could be played in sub-freezing weather. ...Oh, and travel in horrible conditions.

Reactions: psu2016
Night games? The weather gets even colder at night.
How much of a fan are you that you would sit outdoors at a night game in Madison or Minneapolis in late November, early December? I was at the ND game in November 89, temps in the loooow 30's, 25-30 MPH wind coing from the north and this was before the upper decks were added. If somebody could have smuggled a rifle into the stadium, the guy with the red hat who signals tv timeouts wouldn't have gotten out of there alive that day.

All you do is whine. Be happy they are playing. They can handle the weather

Yes. I'll whine about the stupidity of 10/24. The late date of 10/24 is simply to uphold their BS optics. I'd guarantee that if this were strictly up to the coaches, the date would be sooner than 10/24. These guys do not need 38 more days to be ready. That's almost 1 1/2 months. Remember, these guys were not sent home. They've been allowed to practice since the cancellation. They all started pre-season camp in early August. Got roughly 2-weeks of camp in, and then the season got cancelled. Since then I believe each team is allowed 12 hours per week. Not much, but enough to keep their noses in the play-books and some level of conditioning. The 10/24 date gives no wiggle room in case a game needs to be post-poned. Just look at last week, we had UVA / VaTech get post-poned. The ACC was able to re-schedule that game because the ACC has extra weeks built in. The 10/24 gives no room.

So the idea of playing in designated domed stadiums is off the table?
With a Friday - Saturday schedule, and being willing to not alter the field NFL logo and decorations other than indicating the college hashmarks, they could do it, no? If not, why not?

Was that option for a Dec or Jan start only? (but why, with the NFL still in play?)

Yes. I'll whine about the stupidity of 10/24. The late date of 10/24 is simply to uphold their BS optics. I'd guarantee that if this were strictly up to the coaches, the date would be sooner than 10/24. These guys do not need 38 more days to be ready. That's almost 1 1/2 months. Remember, these guys were not sent home. They've been allowed to practice since the cancellation. They all started pre-season camp in early August. Got roughly 2-weeks of camp in, and then the season got cancelled. Since then I believe each team is allowed 12 hours per week. Not much, but enough to keep their noses in the play-books and some level of conditioning. The 10/24 date gives no wiggle room in case a game needs to be post-poned. Just look at last week, we had UVA / VaTech get post-poned. The ACC was able to re-schedule that game because the ACC has extra weeks built in. The 10/24 gives no room.
Agree. Not sure why they are waiting till 10/24. Even 10/17 would allow a week for a make up game. Maybe it will be explained. Certainly the updated testing protocol and (supposedly) the improved info on heart damage are different.
Certainly there's no evidence that the 10/24 date was for "optics." Obviously it was the last date that would allow the champion to make the playoff. That's the obvious reason. I would just like to hear why not getting an 8+1 schedule started sooner wouldn't be a better idea though.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I want to see these games AT Minnesota, AT Wisconsin, AT MSU, AT Michigan..... in late November & December. But hey, it's all about the safety & health of the players .
So 8 straight weeks with no bye. And 9 straight weeks without a bye if you reach the B1G Championship Game.......... And it's all about the health & safety of the players.
When did college athletes playing games for 9 consecutive weeks, some potentially cold, become a hardship? I suspect the players are tougher than you think and will be happy for the opportunity.

Reactions: cjrugger
Barry Alvarez is the "schedule chairman". Holy F'ing bee-jeezus.

And wouldn't there be 2 cross-over games? Each Division has 7 teams. So you'd play all 6 other teams from your division. That leaves 2 extra games vs. the other division to reach 8.
Speaking of administrators and onion dip.....

I'm happy they are playing, but would agree with others that the schedule seems set up in order to have it fail. They definitely should have started on Oct 10 or 17 and had bye week(s). There's no reason to start so late unless they want this to not work out because we all know that teams will need to cancel at least some games.

Reactions: grinagrin and psu00
When did college athletes playing games for 9 consecutive weeks, some potentially cold, become a hardship? I suspect the players are tougher than you think and will be happy for the opportunity.

Go look at the schedules for the last 20-30 years and please point out to me how many times you've seen teams play on 9 consecutive weeks.

If you follow the NFL, you'll always hear teams who get a real early bye week (like week 4) complain that their bye-week is too early, because they then have to play too many games in a row ot end the season and it's wear&tear on their bodies.

Go look at the schedules for the last 20-30 years and please point out to me how many times you've seen teams play on 9 consecutive weeks.

If you follow the NFL, you'll always hear teams who get a real early bye week (like week 4) complain that their bye-week is too early, because they then have to play too many games in a row ot end the season and it's wear&tear on their bodies.
2016 we played 9 straight weeks (and we actually won every single one of them). Last year we played 8 straight weeks to end the season. 2018 and 2017 7 straight weeks to end the season.

9 consecutive weeks may be unusual nowadays but the schedule has been at least 12 games for 20 years now. Normally that's with 1 bye week. So, slightly tougher stretch but fewer games. Certainly pro teams and college teams used to play 9 consecutive games or more every year. And pretty sure a lot of high school teams always play 9 consecutive games or sometimes 10.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I did not contend that not having a bye week was common in the past 20-30 years nor even that it would not be advantageous. Rather I meant that I feel that the teams will be able to handle the sub-optimal circumstances. I apologize for not being more clear.

9 consecutive weeks may be unusual nowadays but the schedule has been at least 12 games for 20 years now. Normally that's with 1 bye week. So, slightly tougher stretch but fewer games. Certainly pro teams and college teams used to play 9 consecutive games or more every year. And pretty sure a lot of high school teams always play 9 consecutive games or sometimes 10.

We have not played 9-straight weeks for years.

No. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the crowd who claimed this was all about health & safety. On one hand it was all about health & safety to cancel. So now on the other hand, we are going to be exposing these players to about 1 month of games that could be played in sub-freezing weather. ...Oh, and travel in horrible conditions.
It was never ALL about health and safety despite the sound bites they provide. If it was, schools wouldn't ever play football in the first place.

What is freakin STUPID is playing 6 absolutely MEANINGLESS games on Championship week instead of building in at least one, preferably two wiggle room weeks at the end to play games that need to be made up to determine Division Champs. This thing is set up to be one freakin mess.

Ohio State - 7-1 with loss to Penn State
Penn State - 6-2 with win over Ohio State, and two forfeit losses to Rutgers and Maryland.

No wiggle room week or open weeks before the Championship Game to make up missed games because the freakin stupid academic brainiacs decided to wait until October 24. They are only playing those meaningless games on Championship week to satisfy the TV partners. Ohio State goes to the Championship game (or vice versa if you like) because Penn State didn't have an open date or two at the end to play Rutgers and Maryland.

Don't tell me this was all for the health of the players when you set up a meaningless game between Rutgers and Illinois the same day as the Championship game solely for TV money.

Reactions: psu00
What is freakin STUPID is playing 6 absolutely MEANINGLESS games on Championship week instead of building in at least one, preferably two wiggle room weeks at the end to play games that need to be made up to determine Division Champs. This thing is set up to be one freakin mess.

Ohio State - 7-1 with loss to Penn State
Penn State - 6-2 with win over Ohio State, and two forfeit losses to Rutgers and Maryland.

No wiggle room week or open weeks before the Championship Game to make up missed games because the freakin stupid academic brainiacs decided to wait until October 24. They are only playing those meaningless games on Championship week to satisfy the TV partners. Ohio State goes to the Championship game (or vice versa if you like) because Penn State didn't have an open date or two at the end to play Rutgers and Maryland.

Don't tell me this was all for the health of the players when you set up a meaningless game between Rutgers and Illinois the same day as the Championship game solely for TV money.
I think that the players want to play.

Reactions: doctornick
I think that the players want to play.

Of course they want to play. But not on the same day as the Championship Game.

Why should a Penn State team that beat Ohio State and everyone else on the field have to watch Ohio State play for the Championship just because we had a couple of guys test positive against Rutgers and Maryland????

It didn't have to be this way and it is ripe for disaster. Both for the teams that get screwed and for the bad PR it brings to the Conference regarding player safety.

Why should a Penn State team that beat Ohio State and everyone else on the field have to watch Ohio State play for the Championship just because we had a couple of guys test positive against Rutgers and Maryland????

It didn't have to be this way and it is ripe for disaster. Both for the teams that get screwed and for the bad PR it brings to the Conference regarding player safety.
I must have misunderstood you. I thought that you did not like that the other teams were playing +1 games because you believed them to be meaningless. Are you saying that you don't like teams with high infection rates not playing?

I doubt that games not played due to Covid restrictions would be considered forfeits. We may see teams that wind up playing various numbers of games across the conference. How that all works out, who knows. How about this scenario, the OSU vs. PSU game is canceled and both teams run the table, who goes from the East?

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT