ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule will be 8+1

RTRMR

Oct 14, 2018
Schedule is 8+1
For the +1 - B1G East 1 plays B1G West 1, B1G East 2 plays B1G West 2, etc.
Per Barry Alvarez(schedule chairman)
"Schedule will be released later this week".

Last edited:
Would they still be able do that if they start Oct 24?

Wonder if they might do Friday night games in order to max TV coverage. Not sure the networks will be able to carry 7 Big Ten games every Sat.

Barry Alvarez is the "schedule chairman". Holy F'ing bee-jeezus.

And wouldn't there be 2 cross-over games? Each Division has 7 teams. So you'd play all 6 other teams from your division. That leaves 2 extra games vs. the other division to reach 8.

Wonder if they might do Friday night games in order to max TV coverage. Not sure the networks will be able to carry 7 Big Ten games every Sat.
Night games? The weather gets even colder at night.

I do not know how you do it AND give each team a bye-week. By my calendar there are 9 weeks between Sat. 10/24 thru Sat. 12/19. If you want to have a B1G Champ Game on Sat. 12/19 (BEFORE the CFB Selection on 12/20), then you have 8 weekends between 10/24 and 12/12. How do you play 8 games in 8 weeks and give each team a bye ???

Yes
8 games:
Oct 24/31
Nov 7/14/21/28
Dec 5/12
+1 on 12/19
CFP selection Sunday 12/20

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Barry Alvarez is the "schedule chairman". Holy F'ing bee-jeezus.

And wouldn't there be 2 cross-over games? Each Division has 7 teams. So you'd play all 6 other teams from your division. That leaves 2 extra games vs. the other division to reach 8.

I guess alvarez decides what time the lots open.

I do not know how you do it AND give each team a bye-week. By my calendar there are 9 weeks between Sat. 10/24 thru Sat. 12/19. If you want to have a B1G Champ Game on Sat. 12/19 (BEFORE the CFB Selection on 12/20), then you have 8 weekends between 10/24 and 12/12. How do you play 8 games in 8 weeks and give each team a bye ???
You don't give them Bye weeks.

Reactions: Lion Lineage
Yes
8 games:
Oct 24/31
Nov 7/14/21/28
Dec 5/12
+1 on 12/19
CFP selection Sunday 12/20

Correct. And counting the weekends between 10/24 - 12/12 you get 8. If each team plays an 8 game schedule, then I guess that's 8 straight weeks with no bye. But hey, it's all about the health and safety of the players.

Reactions: JustinTyme
So, Barry's + 1 is the CCG?

I think fat Barry's +1 needs to be a +2. If you have 7 teams in each division, that's 6 games. Unless you are playing a team from your own division twice, then you need to play +2 vs. the other division to get to 8. ........... But don't worry. I'm sure at least 1 of Wisconsin's cross over games will somehow involve Rutgers.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
So, Barry's + 1 is the CCG?
Every team gets a +1.
The conference championship week EVERY team plays,
B1G West 1 plays B1G East 1, with the winner being conference champion.
So, if you already played that team in one of the 2 crossovers, then you’ll play that team again.

I think fat Barry's +1 needs to be a +2. If you have 7 teams in each division, that's 6 games. Unless you are playing a team from your own division twice, then you need to play +2 vs. the other division to get to 8. ........... But don't worry. I'm sure at least 1 of Wisconsin's cross over games will somehow involve Rutgers.
The CCG weekend is seeded. #1 vs #1, #2 vs #2, etc.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Alvarez is setting the schedules and they are planning to matchup the x-division teams in order of rank? Let me guess, Rutgers is now the #1 ranked team in the east per Alvarez's rankings?

Alvarez is setting the schedules and they are planning to matchup the x-division teams in order of rank? Let me guess, Rutgers is now the #1 ranked team in the east per Alvarez's rankings?
It will be done at the end of the season and be based on division record.

Just one team has a breakout and the whole things crumbles. How do you choose East/West championship teams if not all teams played 8 games?
So now we are going to have a legit season and still most folks are crying about it.
What if we had VT scheduled last week? (obviously would have been cancelled)
What if we went forward without this testing protocol? (Maybe it would have been great, but we still haven't seen a single SEC game.)
9 games in 9 weeks is certainly nothing we haven't done before. Don't most high schools do this? It's not as great as having a bye week but it's also a reduced schedule.

Reactions: odshowtime
So now we are going to have a legit season and still most folks are crying about it.
What if we went forward without this testing protocol? (Maybe it would have been great, but we still haven't seen a single SEC game.)
9 games in 9 weeks is certainly nothing we haven't done before. Don't most high schools do this? It's not as great as having a bye week but it's also a reduced schedule.
Yeah, true.

Starting a season and ending a season with a fully intact team are two separate items. Especially this year.

If the teams have been practicing for weeks, why does it take until 10/24 to get ready to play?

Normally a team gets ready to play the season during 20 Fall practices starting in mid-August. Haven't the teams been practicing for a couple of weeks already. A reasonable time line would be starting October 3rd, which is still 2.5 weeks away.....

Haven't the protocols for testing been in place during the organized practices during these past weeks, and the rapid testing plan for implementation set up? It's as if the losers in the B10 are hoping that something happens in the interim to cause even games on 10/24 to be cancelled....

:oops: :oops:

So 8 straight weeks with no bye. And 9 straight weeks without a bye if you reach the B1G Championship Game.......... And it's all about the health & safety of the players.

You do realize that the NFL plays night games in December/January at cold weather sites? Happens all the time.

There are teams who went 9 weeks without a bye over the course of a season before, some opt to schedule an OOC (like Notre Dame, or another independent for example) on their "Big 10 bye" and then have an off week during those 1st few weeks of the season before league play starts.

Glad we have a season, but a little bit of a stretch to call it a legit one.

It will be done at the end of the season and be based on division record.
Thanks for the clarification, at first I thought this was about how the regular season x-division opponent was being chosen. It seems that's still TBD. That #7 vs. #7 game during championship week is sure to be compelling!

I want to see these games AT Minnesota, AT Wisconsin, AT MSU, AT Michigan..... in late November & December. But hey, it's all about the safety & health of the players .
All you do is whine. Be happy they are playing. They can handle the weather

Just give us the Luckeyes in the Beav. No fans but at least are comfy home.

Just one team has a breakout and the whole things crumbles. How do you choose East/West championship teams if not all teams played 8 games?

My guess is they are putting all their eggs in the basket of the rapid test and being able to ward off a breakout by getting on top of it before exposing a large group of teammates

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT