ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule if the B1G agrees to play

Wandering Spectator

Dec 17, 2017
Chandler, AZ
www.wanderingspectator.com
What does the schedule look like if they vote to play? They will have missed 6 weeks if they start Oct 17. They have two bye weeks in the current schedule and one week before the B1G Championship.

Do they keep the current schedule and forego the lost games?
Do they reschedule everything?
Do they keep the schedule, eliminate bye weeks and reschedule some missed games into those bye weeks?
Do they keep a bye before the Championship?

So many questions.

Surprisingly, hotel rates in State College haven’t been jacked up for weekends. If I owned a property, I’d plan on football weekend prices for every weekend until a schedule is released. Then back down prices for non football weekends.

What does the schedule look like if they vote to play? They will have missed 6 weeks if they start Oct 17. They have two bye weeks in the current schedule and one week before the B1G Championship.

Do they keep the schedule, eliminate bye weeks and reschedule some missed games into those bye weeks?

So many questions.

Surprisingly, hotel rates in State College haven’t been jacked up for weekends. If I owned a property, I’d plan on football weekend prices for every weekend until a schedule is released. Then back down prices for non football weekends.

The stadiums will be empty if they play I'd bet. Not sure why hotel prices would increase.

So many questions.

Doubt there will be fans in Beaver Stadium, not if Wolf has his way.

I still think people will show up in town. I’m planning on it - even if it means watching it on TV in a bar. The later season games could even see modifications to allow fans is my guess.

as of now, can’t sit a bar stools. Have to have food. Alcohol sales end at 10

I still think people will show up in town. I’m planning on it - even if it means watching it on TV in a bar. The later season games could even see modifications to allow fans is my guess.
Good... come to Happy Valley. But bars will be restricted especially before election and wouldn’t be surprised if PSU goes 2 week self quarantine like MSU since they’ve done what Sparty does a few days later. Wolf and Barron will squeeze one more time...

Reactions: JustinTyme

So many questions.

No guidance yet from the CFP Committee except you must be Bowl eligible with 6 wins or more.

We have really screwed the pooch by procrastinating, but could still schedule 9 Conference games and a Championship Game if we start by October 10. That would give us one week of wiggle room to play any important missed games on December 12, with the Championship Game on December 19.

Play less than 10 Games, and you're really rolling the dice, even if you're undefeated.

Reactions: NedFromYork
IMO, if players have been practicing (pretty sure they were allowed to practice on a limited schedule like 12 hours per week), then IMO they should push to start 10/10. This would give them 3 full weeks of "regular" practice, and then a 4th week would be "game week" leading up to Sat. 10/10. Again, this is based on the assumption they have been doing "something" for about 12 hours per week. Not like these guys have been away for 3-4 months and just coming back together.

Building in 1 extra week does not sound like much but with a possible 9 or even 8 game schedule (starting 10/17) their margin of error is already razor-thin. With an 8 or 9 game schedule not only would a B1G team - NOT named Ohio State - have to be undefeated, but they'd have to catch a scheduling break and get to play all the other top teams in the B1G to give them strength-of-schedule in those 8 or 9 games. I think Ohio State gets benefit of doubt and would be the only B1G team capable of being 8-1 and make the playoff.

You have a 9 game schedule and go 8-1, there is no way you are beating out an undefeated or even a 1-loss SEC team sitting at 9-1 (unless you are Ohio State).

If only 9 teams play, we won't need a championship game.

That would only give us 8 games. An 8-0 Big Ten team could be easily trumped by a second place 9-1 SEC team or a 10-2 or 11-1 ACC team. You are really rolling the dice with an 8 game schedule with no Championship Game.

Last edited:
That would only give us 8 games. An 8-0 Big Ten team could be easily trumped by a second place 9-1 SEC team or a 10-2 ACC team. You are really rolling the dice with an 8 game schedule with no Championship Game.

Unless it's Ohio State. If Penn State, Wisconsin or any other B1G team were 8-0 then yes, good chance they get trumped by a 9-1 SEC team. Ohio State would have Herbie and the band of merry ex-Buckeyes on espn telling us that an extra game does not matter because Ohio State passed the eye-ball test.

If only 9 teams play, we won't need a championship game.

That would only give us 8 games. An 8-0 Big Ten team could be easily trumped by a second place 9-1 SEC team or a 10-2 or 11-1 ACC team. You are really rolling the dice with an 8 game

Unless it's Ohio State. If Penn State, Wisconsin or any other B1G team were 8-0 then yes, good chance they get trumped by a 9-1 SEC team. Ohio State would have Herbie and the band of merry ex-Buckeyes on espn telling us that an extra game does not matter because Ohio State passed the eye-ball test.

The Buckeyes have been royally screwed before too. An 11-1 Clemson and Notre Dame could easily knock out the Buckeyes at 8-0. The loser of the ACC regular season game could win the Championship Game.

That would only give us 8 games. An 8-0 Big Ten team could be easily trumped by a second place 9-1 SEC team or a 10-2 or 11-1 ACC team. You are really rolling the dice with an 8 game schedule with no Championship Game.
Hasn’t it been proven that a conference championship game is superfluous? 😱

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
The pac 12 isn’t Likely playing. If they don’t all 4 P5 Champs will be in unless one of them has multiple losses. An undefeated or 1 loss champ will be in. The only exception would be losing out to conference team. (Is psu blows out wiscy in regular season and has rematch and loses on fluke type play then I could see non champ psu in.

if will be near impossible to compare conferences this year and no ND to screw up the teams(as they are ACC) so assuming 0-1 loss the champ will be in.

Reactions: Sullivan
The Buckeyes have been royally screwed before too. An 11-1 Clemson and Notre Dame could easily knock out the Buckeyes at 8-0. The loser of the ACC regular season game could win the Championship Game.

Yes. They have been left out. But not for a lack of on-air homers who seem to always take their side of the debate every December.

So many questions.

Saw somewhere(can't remember where) that IF they play that the big rumored game the 1st week would be OSU vs. PSU.... that certainly would get a lot of attention and viewers.

The pac 12 isn’t Likely playing. If they don’t all 4 P5 Champs will be in unless one of them has multiple losses. An undefeated or 1 loss champ will be in. The only exception would be losing out to conference team. (Is psu blows out wiscy in regular season and has rematch and loses on fluke type play then I could see non champ psu in.

if will be near impossible to compare conferences this year and no ND to screw up the teams(as they are ACC) so assuming 0-1 loss the champ will be in.

Have to let the games be played before drawing conclusions before the first snaps. It is likely the conference winners go. Unless a conference just beats itself up and has a few 2-loss teams at the top. For example, let's say Penn St loses to Ohio St and Wiscy. Ohio St loses to Nebraska and Michigan. Wiscy loses to Iowa and MN, Michigan loses to MSU and Penn State ..... if the B1G is sitting at years end with no one better than 7-2. And the SEC has a 10-0 Bama and a 9-1 Georgia. And the ACC has a 10-0 Clemson and a 9-1 ND. And the Big12 has a 10-0 Oklahoma..... then no way does the B1G Champ go. ...... Gotta let the games be played

Yep. The only question is how many games and when do we start.

If our Champ only plays 8 Conference games with no Championship game as the poster suggested, even if they are 8-0, they will be compared against other P-5 Champs that have theoretically had 11 or 12 games to build their resume on. I think we have to have at least an 8 game regular season and a Championship game to give us more wiggle room. 9 total games at the least.

An October 10 start gives us December 12 as a cushion to play any games that might have to be made up if they have any significance, and then, a December 19 Championship game.

Yep. The only question is how many games and when do we start.

If our Champ only plays 8 Conference games with no Championship game as the poster suggested, even if they are 8-0, they will be compared against other P-5 Champs that have theoretically had 11 or 12 games to build their resume on. I think we have to have at least an 8 game regular season and a Championship game to give us more wiggle room. 9 total games at the least.

An October 10 start gives us December 12 as a cushion to play any games that might have to be made up if they have any significance, and then, a December 19 Championship game.

I believe I heard on radio that the CFP selection show is Dec. 20th. That is the "magic date". Gotta have 9 or 10 games squeezed in and completed by Dec. 19th, so your "body of work" is completed for the Selection Committee to make their decision on 12/20.

10/10 gives you 11 weeks till 12/19 ....... you could get in 10 games with 1 week off
10/17 gives you 10 weeks till 12/19 ..... you could get in 9 games with 1 week off / or 10 straight games

I personally think getting in 10 straight games for college guys is brutal even on a "normal" year. The wear & tear of college guys playing 10 straight weeks would be brutal. So if 10/17 I think the best case is 9 games.

I believe I heard on radio that the CFP selection show is Dec. 20th. That is the "magic date". Gotta have 9 or 10 games squeezed in and completed by Dec. 19th, so your "body of work" is completed for the Selection Committee to make their decision on 12/20.

10/10 gives you 11 weeks till 12/19 ....... you could get in 10 games with 1 week off
10/17 gives you 10 weeks till 12/19 ..... you could get in 9 games with 1 week off / or 10 straight games

I personally think getting in 10 straight games for college guys is brutal even on a "normal" year. The wear & tear of college guys playing 10 straight weeks would be brutal. So if 10/17 I think the best case is 9 games.

Ya. Either way, I think you will be looking at 9 total games max for the champ. That of course includes the December 19 Championship Game. Any less than 9 total games, and you are really rolling the dice wrt the CFP.

Have to let the games be played before drawing conclusions before the first snaps. It is likely the conference winners go. Unless a conference just beats itself up and has a few 2-loss teams at the top. For example, let's say Penn St loses to Ohio St and Wiscy. Ohio St loses to Nebraska and Michigan. Wiscy loses to Iowa and MN, Michigan loses to MSU and Penn State ..... if the B1G is sitting at years end with no one better than 7-2. And the SEC has a 10-0 Bama and a 9-1 Georgia. And the ACC has a 10-0 Clemson and a 9-1 ND. And the Big12 has a 10-0 Oklahoma..... then no way does the B1G Champ go. ...... Gotta let the games be played

Agreed. That is why I said unless a conference champ has MULTIPLE losses (meaning 2 or more). An unbeaten or 1 loss champ will get in this year.

Reactions: roswelllion
If our Champ only plays 8 Conference games with no Championship game as the poster suggested, even if they are 8-0, they will be compared against other P-5 Champs that have theoretically had 11 or 12 games to build their resume on.
Buffalo Lion, using a response that always goes well with my wife, calm down...

If they play, we don’t know if everyone will participate. McMurphy’s tweet is interesting. If true, there will have to be a CCG. If not, a full round robin schedule would not make one required.

There is no way an 8-0 B10 champ would be left out for a 1 loss (and ridiculous earlier suggestion about 2 loss) team unless somehow tOSU, PSU, UW, Mich, and Iowa are the schools that decide not to play.

It is possible a 1-loss B10 champ could be, but that would be determined with how things play out. Not worth worrying about that until you know who is playing.

I would vote for 9 games, no B10 champ game, if starting on 10/17. No bye weeks. Play thru 12/12. Only 2 teams get to play 9 games if there is a b10 champ game unless they develop some way to let other teams play each other on same w/e as B10 champ game. Which is an option.

All that matters is that Michigan and Ohio State play. My guess is that they will play on week 2. One week to warm up and then play "The Game" so in case it spirals out of control and the season gets shut down they get that game in.

I'm hoping for the players that they do get to play and be eligible for the CFP. But I'm not optimistic. If there was enough support among the BIG universities, the vote would have already happened. McMurphy's tweet from this morning makes me even less optimistic. There are certain university admins and governors who do not want to play, and they will do everything that they can to not play. McMurphy's assertion that all teams would play, taking the "opt out" off the table for certain programs, tells me an October start for the BIG is highly unlikely. Personally, I won't have much interest in a season that doesn't start by mid-October.

I believe the BIG's tactics are to keep false hopes alive for as long as they can. But in reality, the BIG is rooting for COVID to stop the SEC, Big 12, and ACC seasons in their tracks. Unfortunately, there are a lot of contemptible people in BIG and Pac 12 country who are on team COVID right now.

Last edited:
It would make scheduling easier if some schools vote to play, but opt out of actually playing. For example Rutgers and MD could vote for everyone else to go ahead and play without them.

Agreed. That is why I said unless a conference champ has MULTIPLE losses (meaning 2 or more). An unbeaten or 1 loss champ will get in this year.
Agreed since there are no OOC comparisons you will have 1each from Big 12, ACC SEC and B1G 10. If B1G doesn't play then 2 SEC.

I'm hoping for the players that they do get to play and be eligible for the CFP. But I'm not optimistic. If there was enough support among the BIG universities, the vote would have already happened. McMurphy's tweet from this morning makes me even less optimistic. There are certain university admins and governors who do not want to play, and they will do everything that they can to not play. McMurphy's assertion that all teams would play, taking the "opt out" off the table for certain programs, tells me an October start for the BIG is highly unlikely. Personally, I won't have much interest in a season that doesn't start by mid-October.

I believe the BIG's tactics are to keep false hopes alive for as long as they can. But in reality, the BIG is rooting for COVID to stop the SEC, Big 12, and ACC seasons in their tracks. Unfortunately, there are a lot of contemptible people in BIG and Pac 12 country who are on team COVID right now.
Exactly...they’re not going to play. They keep putting the vote off because they want to keep it shut down.

• Sad
Right, keep delaying until they wouldn't be eligible for the playoff, then all the teams that really want to play now will say screw it.

ADVERTISEMENT