ADVERTISEMENT

Scandal brewing in AnnArbor: Michigan Wolverines athletes selling team-issued shoes for $5,000 a pop

For what it’s worth, Marquette has already completed its investigation. By my understanding, it’s likely these are shoes were sold by former athletes (UM grads Jourdan Lewis and Derrick Walton posted and sold their shoes after leaving for example). In any event, anyone caught should be punished - it’s an incredibly stupid thing to do given they UM makes them sign a document saying they won’t sell them while enrolled and number each shoe.

Reactions: JoeFi
For what it’s worth, Marquette has already completed its investigation. By my understanding, it’s likely these are shoes were sold by former athletes (UM grads Jourdan Lewis and Derrick Walton posted and sold their shoes after leaving for example). In any event, anyone caught should be punished - it’s an incredibly stupid thing to do given they UM makes them sign a document saying they won’t sell them while enrolled and number each shoe.
Now Michigan has a road map to follow in their “investigation”. Soon Michigan will say “ditto” and be done with it.

Regardless of what Marquette found, I would just assume some current Michigan players sold their shoes. And honestly, why wouldn’t they? The NCAA has no teeth so why bother with their arbitrary rules?

Reactions: bmw199
actually sounds like a way to pay players. basically give the players multiple pairs of shoes during their tenure letting them know that they can sell them to a booster for a few thousand a pop when the graduate/leave. sounds like a pretty interesting and simple loophole.

Reactions: bison13
actually sounds like a way to pay players. basically give the players multiple pairs of shoes during their tenure letting them know that they can sell them to a booster for a few thousand a pop when the graduate/leave. sounds like a pretty interesting and simple loophole.
Pretty much what OSU was doing when they allowed players access to conveniently unlocked equipment rooms. Players described it as an open secret. This part of the story is rarely mentioned when #TattooGate comes up.

Reactions: colt21 and bison13
Prediction: Michigan, forced to admit that this did actually happen, investigates and conveniently finds that all of the shoes were sold by walk-on kickers and long-snappers, who are immediately suspended for 3 games. As such, no real athletes will be missing for the season opener against Notre Dame.

Pfft. Harbaugh gave away shoes for FREE to the Pope.

636288050348152590-GTY-AFP-NV891.jpg

Reactions: N&B4PSU
$4700 for a pair of shoes. That's a whole lot of money! Especially if you're a 18-23 year old college student.

Going forward, maybe these 2 things need to happen:

(1) If Nike is going to put out a "limited edition" of shoes, the school needs to tell Nike "no." Either everyone, including the general public, has the ability to buy these shoes, or the school won't wear them as part of a special uniform. The primary reason these shoes are going for $4700 (!!) is because of their scarcity.

(2) Players don't get these shoes, their gold pants, etc until after graduation/they've left the program. All these goodies get held in an "escrow account" of sorts.

Just gonna give you guys something to look into for evidence. I'm leaning in the direction of some iminent suspensions, but you guys look for yourselves.

https://www.goat.com/sneakers/air-j...an-wolverines-pe-ho17-mnjdls-266817838/sample

https://www.goat.com/sneakers/air-jordan-5-retro-michigan-pe-636-645668/sample

https://www.goat.com/products/air-jordan-3-retro-michigan-pe-0ec711b0-d63e-4c98-af35-0b37e69d4564

The Retro NRGs definitely look like they have a crossed out name on the box.... It almost looks like it says Hill... there are other boxes that have that same spot scratched out

So you get a couple former players to say they sold the shoes, and the investigation is over?

Just gonna give you guys something to look into for evidence. I'm leaning in the direction of some iminent suspensions, but you guys look for yourselves.

https://www.goat.com/sneakers/air-j...an-wolverines-pe-ho17-mnjdls-266817838/sample

https://www.goat.com/sneakers/air-jordan-5-retro-michigan-pe-636-645668/sample

https://www.goat.com/products/air-jordan-3-retro-michigan-pe-0ec711b0-d63e-4c98-af35-0b37e69d4564

The Retro NRGs definitely look like they have a crossed out name on the box.... It almost looks like it says Hill... there are other boxes that have that same spot scratched out
Wow. Good eye. "L. Hill."

054F4F4E-3A43-46FE-973B-C444A13636B1.jpeg

Reactions: Judge Smails
Wow. Good eye. "L. Hill."

054F4F4E-3A43-46FE-973B-C444A13636B1.jpeg
For what it’s worth, Khalid Hill has said those are his and he sold them after he graduated. Not trying to make excuses - anyone caught doing this should be punished - but it really sounds like most (not necessarily all) of the school-issued UM Jordans on the market were sold by formerly players.

For what it’s worth, Khalid Hill has said those are his and he sold them after he graduated. Not trying to make excuses - anyone caught doing this should be punished - but it really sounds like most (not necessarily all) of the school-issued UM Jordans on the market were sold by formerly players.
As I posted earlier, Marquette gave UM a road map to follow and here it goes.

Do you believe Jerry Sandusky was just washing up alone with the boys after some workouts? Do you believe Zach Smith was just protecting himself for his viscous wife? That line of thinking would seem to fall in line with your belief here.

I think players should be able to make money off things like this... not a popular opinion but seriously.... so many people making money off of them.

I sort of agree - especially when you consider what they do for their scholarship, and what Delaney and Ermmert do for their salaries.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT