ADVERTISEMENT

SC Injury News

heckmans

Feb 13, 2006
I'm in SC this weekend, staying with a local guy.
He gets a text from a friend and downtown business owner, that has some player connections.
Word is that SC is out 4 weeks....the text did not detail what the injury is.

Without knowing what the injury is, it's tough to guess whether the timeline could shift, but I'm confident, that right now, the team believes it's 4 weeks.
Obviously not good news for the team and season prospects, but wishing SC the best.

Maybe it is 4 weeks max and he comes back in 3.....that wouldn't be unheard of.

By the way, Illinois without him isn't a definite. After watching the Coach Codutti breakdown I am not sure that TR is a D-1 QB.

Reactions: Cosmos
I'm in SC this weekend, staying with a local guy.
He gets a text from a friend and downtown business owner, that has some player connections.
Word is that SC is out 4 weeks....the text did not detail what the injury is.

Without knowing what the injury is, it's tough to guess whether the timeline could shift, but I'm confident, that right now, the team believes it's 4 weeks.
Obviously not good news for the team and season prospects, but wishing SC the best.
i'm confident that i'm not confident about your inside information.

I'm confident that your validation is not important to me. Info is legit as of last night.
not denying you sources but 4 weeks for something Franklin called "something qb's deal with all the time" seems a bit much.

If your source is Scheffter like then the season is screwed.

If your source is Sir Yatch like then he will be back by the Buttflies Game.

If it’s 4 weeks he would probably tough out the OSU game , not sure how effective he would be .

As CJF said it’s not a uncommon injury for QB’s I know a lot think it’s ribs but I have a feeling it’s an AC joint sprain (shoulder) which fits the timeline of a few weeks

Reactions: brupsu
If we're only talking 1 week -- 3 vs 4 weeks -- given the significance and the "must win" nature of the OSU game, then I would almost bet the farm that Clifford will be out there with a flak jacket on at the 'Shoe. I don't even care if he ends up going 7-17 for 143 yards in a loss...he's our only hope to win that game, banged up or not, and everybody knows it.

I'm confident that your validation is not important to me. Info is legit as of last night.
I believe that your friend told you that, so I'm not calling you a liar.

But this is fourth hand information from an unnamed source who isn't even inside the program.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
If it’s 4 weeks he would probably tough out the OSU game , not sure how effective he would be .

As CJF said it’s not a uncommon injury for QB’s I know a lot think it’s ribs but I have a feeling it’s an AC joint sprain (shoulder) which fits the timeline of a few weeks
If it was a shoulder sprain wouldn't they put him in a sling right away (at least until the knew the severity of the sprain) as a precautionary measure?

That's why I think it is ribs. No evidence of any wrap or medical appliance on the sidelines.

Hell, maybe a ACJS to the non-throwing shoulder (which would have been the one to be injured) would be better than ribs.

But I think it's ribs. I'm also not that kind of doctor so....

Reactions: step.eng69
It’s the annual 31 flavors post. Wahooo…

if he is out 4 weeks then my prediction of 9-4 looks true. I hope not.

if he can play against Illinois, can we please play Roberson first and if winning keep him playing to get as many reps as possible. If not then my 9-4 preseason prediction comes true. I do not mind being wrong.

I'm surprised that I have not seen anyone speculate a kidney contusion. In any event, the medical staff will decide when Clifford is eligible to return to full participation. They make the decisions and that is best for everyone.

Reactions: RickinDayton
It’s the annual 31 flavors post. Wahooo…

if he is out 4 weeks then my prediction of 9-4 looks true. I hope not.

if he can play against Illinois, can we please play Roberson first and if winning keep him playing to get as many reps as possible. If not then my 9-4 preseason prediction comes true. I do not mind being wrong.
My prediction pre season was 8-4 regular season. That was based on what I thought would be 4-2 at this point. 9-3 is likely with 10-2 not being impossible. I think you'd have to be drinking fanboy blue Kool-Aid to think PSU goes on without another loss.....with Cliff or not.

I'm surprised that I have not seen anyone speculate a kidney contusion. In any event, the medical staff will decide when Clifford is eligible to return to full participation. They make the decisions and that is best for everyone.
The hit in question (from the front) seemed too high for that and he didn't land on the ball or anyone else. Again, I'm not that kind of doctor, but I'd be surprised if this was the injury. (I also don't feel like this is a "common injury to QB" which is how CJF described it)

The hit in question (from the front) seemed too high for that and he didn't land on the ball or anyone else. Again, I'm not that kind of doctor, but I'd be surprised if this was the injury. (I also don't feel like this is a "common injury to QB" which is how CJF described it)

I thought I saw him putting his hand on his lower back....but whatever.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Admittedly not as common as a rib injury, but I'll bet if you google quarterback with bruised kidney, you'll get some history of such and lacerated kidney as well.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I thought I saw him putting his hand on his lower back....but whatever.

You did see that as he went to locker-room (lower-back on his throwing side). The poster keeps talking about the location of the hit - it isn't the initial hit which would have flexed his lower ribs (the most articulated, i.e., weakest, ribs), it's the weight, and momentum, of the defender being directly on top of Cliff (chest-to-chest) as he was driven to the ground that would do it. More than enough force there to flex, and severely bruise, the lower ribs. As for this not being a common football injury for QBs, the poster is way off base on this one as well - why do you think a QB would be wearing a "flack jacket" under their jersey??? To protect their ribs which wrap all the way around from front to back and are "exposed" no matter the angle the defender is coming from. Complete nonsense that bruised ribs is an uncommon injury for a QB.

• Love
Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I wish Sean Clifford the best in his recovery, But I will say this about sore ribs, they are not to be fooled with especially if it involves a fractured rib. Even without a break, a pulled muscle or inflammation of a cartilage is very very painful. I think the focus should be on getting Roberson ready for the Illinois game and hope the 20 day rest period will be enough for Clifford to come back for the OSU game.

You did see that as he went to locker-room (lower-back on his throwing side). The poster keeps talking about the location of the hit - it isn't the initial hit which would have flexed his lower ribs (the most articulated, i.e., weakest, ribs), it's the weight, and momentum, of the defender being directly on top of Cliff (chest-to-chest) as he was driven to the ground that would do it. More than enough force there to flex, and severely bruise, the lower ribs. As for this not being a common football injury for QBs, the poster is way off base on this one as well - why do you think a QB would be wearing a "flack jacket" under their jersey??? To protect their ribs which wrap all the way around from front to back and are "exposed" no matter the angle the defender is coming from. Complete nonsense that bruised ribs is an uncommon injury for a QB.
I think he was saying that bruised kidneys are not common. It is true that they are not as common as ribs...but they do occur...

I wish Sean Clifford the best in his recovery, But I will say this about sore ribs, they are not to be fooled with especially if it involves a fractured rib. Even without a break, a pulled muscle or inflammation of a cartilage is very very painful. I think the focus should be on getting Roberson ready for the Illinois game and hope the 20 day rest period will be enough for Clifford to come back for the OSU game.
No one can assume we get pre injury Clifford back....even when he's cleared to play. I hope he comes back better than ever.....but getting banged up can take its toll.

Admittedly not as common as a rib injury, but I'll bet if you google quarterback with bruised kidney, you'll get some history of such and lacerated kidney as well.
Oh, it happens. I just wouldn't call it common.

I was saying bruised kidney isn't common. Bruised ribs are VERY common.

My prediction pre season was 8-4 regular season. That was based on what I thought would be 4-2 at this point. 9-3 is likely with 10-2 not being impossible. I think you'd have to be drinking fanboy blue Kool-Aid to think PSU goes on without another loss.....with Cliff or not.
O$U is a loss with or without Clifford. It was going to be a loss with a healthy Clifford and Mustipher.

For us the key is to win all others and finish 10-2 and get a NY6 bowl. Would be great to beat scUM and Harbaugh at home. Clifford should be in decent shape for that one and hopefully even healthier for at Sparty.

O$U is a loss with or without Clifford. It was going to be a loss with a healthy Clifford and Mustipher.

For us the key is to win all others and finish 10-2 and get a NY6 bowl. Would be great to beat scUM and Harbaugh at home. Clifford should be in decent shape for that one and hopefully even healthier for at Sparty.
I think 10-2 is certainly still possible. However, to assume we can run the table other than OSU is not a prediction I feel comfortable making at this point. We'll see if the injury bug evens out in the conference....and who knows it may actually come back to benefit PSU later in the schedule. PSU has not reacted well to losses the past 5 or 6 years. So I remain hopeful, but not overly optimistic.

Personally, I would like to see him not play against Illinois & OSU to ensure a better recovery for the stretch run. Get the two youngsters the needed experience and trust 4 weeks will allow Clifford to have a more sustainable recovery.

• Love
  • Angry
Reactions: Cosmos and cyrizzle
I think 10-2 is certainly still possible. However, to assume we can run the table other than OSU is not a prediction I feel comfortable making at this point. We'll see if the injury bug evens out in the conference....and who knows it may actually come back to benefit PSU later in the schedule. PSU has not reacted well to losses the past 5 or 6 years. So I remain hopeful, but not overly optimistic.
If Clifford comes back and is better than 75%, we definitely have a chance of running the table. We have a great back 7, maybe the best secondary we've ever had. Front four will be challenged without PJ, but maybe a running game evolves. I was so enthusiastic before Iowa, and with Clifford's reports somewhat trending positive...we've got a chance!

ADVERTISEMENT