ADVERTISEMENT

SC Injury News

My prediction pre season was 8-4 regular season. That was based on what I thought would be 4-2 at this point. 9-3 is likely with 10-2 not being impossible. I think you'd have to be drinking fanboy blue Kool-Aid to think PSU goes on without another loss.....with Cliff or not.
Well then I prefer Blue Kool Aide. PSU easily beats Iowa if Clifford doesn’t get hurt. OSU at Columbus will be difficult but a win is possible if Clifford plays. OSU has yet to beat a team with a pulse.

O$U is a loss with or without Clifford. It was going to be a loss with a healthy Clifford and Mustipher.

For us the key is to win all others and finish 10-2 and get a NY6 bowl. Would be great to beat scUM and Harbaugh at home. Clifford should be in decent shape for that one and hopefully even healthier for at Sparty.
OSU is beatable this year. Their offense is very good, but I think PSU can hold them below their season average. Their defense is very pedestrian. If PSU has Clifford and defense plays well, PSU can win in a shoot out. I'd feel better about it if it was at home, but it not a certain loss.

Well then I prefer Blue Kool Aide. PSU easily beats Iowa if Clifford doesn’t get hurt. OSU at Columbus will be difficult but a win is possible if Clifford plays. OSU has yet to beat a team with a pulse.
Iowa boos teams that don't have a pulse!😉

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
I also think 10-2 still very much in play, assuming Clifford only misses a few games. With this said, a 10-2 projection has become markedly more challenging with Mustipher out. While I’m thrilled with our overall D performance to date, we have shown some vulnerabilities vs the run and we’ll be tested on the ground vs the likes of OSU, Michigan & Mich State (Kenneth Walker III is the real deal).

Here's what I saw and what I think and for what it's worth, my degree is in sports medicine. I have not gone back to look at the video to see the mechanism of the injury. I did see Sean on the sideline in the second half wearing possibly what looked like a TENS unit (under his shirt) on his low back or floating rib area. A floating rib is a rib that does not connect to the sternum. My thought was either soft tissue injury to the low back or spasms or a rib injury. TENS is used for both types of injuries. The suggestion of a broken clavicle or an AC (acromioclavicular) joint injury is ridiculous as he was not in a sling or receiving cryo (ice) treatment. This is strictly from my observation, as you know, I don't share information I receive from the program. Just my opinion. I hope he is back healthy as soon as possible. Sean is a tough SOB, if he can get back, he will.

Personally, I would like to see him not play against Illinois & OSU to ensure a better recovery for the stretch run. Get the two youngsters the needed experience and trust 4 weeks will allow Clifford to have a more sustainable recovery.
I would prefer he comes back as quickly as the doctors allow.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Do PSU local reporters and PSU beat writers (if there is a difference) not report the information they get regarding injury status?

I've sort of just assumed that maybe PSU tells reporters not to report this stuff, but I would imagine there's still a market for this type of stuff nationally from bigger networks that don't care?

OSU is beatable this year. Their offense is very good, but I think PSU can hold them below their season average. Their defense is very pedestrian. If PSU has Clifford and defense plays well, PSU can win in a shoot out. I'd feel better about it if it was at home, but it not a certain loss.
I think their defense is improved since the Oregon debacle. When they demoted Kerry Coombs from DC and handed off to another coach, they have improved. Yes, it has been against Rutgers & Maryland, but they seem to be playing much better defense. They did lose a Freshman Safety recently to a "long term" injury, who was getting lots of PT. It seems they are still a bit vulnerable @ the back seven. With Clifford (if 90%), PSU has a shot @ an upset in the Shoe. PSU would have to score about 24 pts and limit OSU's explosive plays (running & passing). That true Freshman RB, Henderson is a big time back and of course we know about Olave. I trust Yurcich to come up with a good enough gameplan, but as always, execution tells the story.

Reactions: step.eng69
As a poster who tends to stay optimistic, I hope we go 1-0 vs the bye week aka heal up the injured, rest the bruised,and incur no further injuries or setbacks. Then, on to Illinois prep.

No predictions. Need to see the offense on the field.

Reactions: MaconNitt
not denying you sources but 4 weeks for something Franklin called "something qb's deal with all the time" seems a bit much.

If your source is Scheffter like then the season is screwed.

If your source is Sir Yatch like then he will be back by the Buttflies Game.
Yacht!

I think their defense is improved since the Oregon debacle. When they demoted Kerry Coombs from DC and handed off to another coach, they have improved. Yes, it has been against Rutgers & Maryland, but they seem to be playing much better defense. They did lose a Freshman Safety recently to a "long term" injury, who was getting lots of PT. It seems they are still a bit vulnerable @ the back seven. With Clifford (if 90%), PSU has a shot @ an upset in the Shoe. PSU would have to score about 24 pts and limit OSU's explosive plays (running & passing). That true Freshman RB, Henderson is a big time back and of course we know about Olave. I trust Yurcich to come up with a good enough gameplan, but as always, execution tells the story.
Henderson is a beast. Probably NFL starter ready now. I see O$U overwhelming our D-line with him running then throwing over the top of our secondary to Olave, etc. The only way we have a shot is to out score them and not sure how we do that with a weak running game and they can key in on Dotson.

amazing how indispensable a guy is who all the experts said sucked before the season started
I think those opinions were based on pure speculation about the team backups and many looking through the lens of last year. SC dropping out for a few quarters shows what we have behind him clearly, and the difference in the team. the team we had in the second half would struggle to win more than a few games on this schedule. our final record will be tightly connected to SC health.

if SC never comes back, this team may struggle to win more than 2 more games = 6-6 record

if SC returns in a few weeks but only sporadically and not close to former self = I think 7-3 would be a good ending best case

if SC comes back and out 3-4 weeks but returns full strength = I think 8-4 is good

if SC comes back by OSU and is like nothing happened we are 9 or 10 win season

to me he backup QB situation is just not able to handle the situation. If we are in one of the first two scenarios, I would consider getting Tyler Warren in the mix. even being behind the others, I think he may catch up faster than you think. we need 3 QBs anyhow.

I think those opinions were based on pure speculation about the team backups and many looking through the lens of last year. SC dropping out for a few quarters shows what we have behind him clearly, and the difference in the team. the team we had in the second half would struggle to win more than a few games on this schedule. our final record will be tightly connected to SC health.

if SC never comes back, this team may struggle to win more than 2 more games = 6-6 record

if SC returns in a few weeks but only sporadically and not close to former self = I think 7-3 would be a good ending best case

if SC comes back and out 3-4 weeks but returns full strength = I think 8-4 is good

to me he backup QB situation is just not able to handle the situation. If we are in one of the first two scenarios, I would consider getting Tyler Warren in the mix. even being behind the others, I think he may catch up faster than you think. we need 3 QBs anyhow.

Look at all the “Be right back” action that resulted here when the Levis throwing video surfaced at PSU after last season (shortly before he transferred). Many here were convinced that he was the real deal. The hysteria was fueled by the fact that Clifford struggled last year. Of course, those same folks decided we were screwed when Levis transferred, leaving us stuck with Clifford. Yup.

Reactions: marshall23

I personally think there is a lot of speculation and Franklin has players (including Clifford) on a tight leash regarding injury news. Anyone who says they heard from someone who heard from the medical staff is gullible. Given how easy it would be to trace any comment back to the source, and the fact that the sources career, not just job, would be in jeopardy by speaking openly, these comments should be ignored.

With that said, here is hoping Clifford is OK and able to go out on a high night in a bowl game. He is the best QB we have had since Darryl Clark hung up his cleats and has been a great leader and fighter. Looking ahead, I too think we will struggle to get break .500 if he doesn't come back because Roberson simply lacks the talent to play in this offense. Even if he comes back at full strength by Ohio State, 9 and 3 looks like best case with a loss to OSU and a split with the Michigan schools. Even if back, I do not think he will be allowed to run which means 8-4 is most likely.

Reactions: Big 0
I personally think there is a lot of speculation and Franklin has players (including Clifford) on a tight leash regarding injury news. Anyone who says they heard from someone who heard from the medical staff is gullible. Given how easy it would be to trace any comment back to the source, and the fact that the sources career, not just job, would be in jeopardy by speaking openly, these comments should be ignored.

With that said, here is hoping Clifford is OK and able to go out on a high night in a bowl game. He is the best QB we have had since Darryl Clark hung up his cleats and has been a great leader and fighter. Looking ahead, I too think we will struggle to get break .500 if he doesn't come back because Roberson simply lacks the talent to play in this offense. Even if he comes back at full strength by Ohio State, 9 and 3 looks like best case with a loss to OSU and a split with the Michigan schools. Even if back, I do not think he will be allowed to run which means 8-4 is most likely.
The qb who took us to the Rose Bowl might have some objections to “best QB since Darryl Clark” vibe

Here's what I saw and what I think and for what it's worth, my degree is in sports medicine. I have not gone back to look at the video to see the mechanism of the injury. I did see Sean on the sideline in the second half wearing possibly what looked like a TENS unit (under his shirt) on his low back or floating rib area. A floating rib is a rib that does not connect to the sternum. My thought was either soft tissue injury to the low back or spasms or a rib injury. TENS is used for both types of injuries. The suggestion of a broken clavicle or an AC (acromioclavicular) joint injury is ridiculous as he was not in a sling or receiving cryo (ice) treatment. This is strictly from my observation, as you know, I don't share information I receive from the program. Just my opinion. I hope he is back healthy as soon as possible. Sean is a tough SOB, if he can get back, he will.

Question ... how long to heal IF a floating rib injury? Can he play through the pain without risk of injuring worse?

Like it or not, the decision is in the hands of the PSU medical staff and no one else. SeBas rules. We can only hope SC is a fast healer because if there is any question he will not return. This staff has two weeks to get TR and the Canadien ready for Illinois and that will not be easy judging by last weeks game. Fans need to be patient and lower the expectations right now because the second of the season is not going to be like the first half. It is what it is. You are only as good as your weakest link and we have all known what that was going back to spring ball.

We were gearing up for a natty run in 14

It kinda amazes me the stuff he will say just to put down JF early run here.

Have to be careful though. Complimenting Clark isn't unusual, but it was more a backhanded comment than praise of DC.

Maybe it is 4 weeks max and he comes back in 3.....that wouldn't be unheard of.

By the way, Illinois without him isn't a definite. After watching the Coach Codutti breakdown I am not sure that TR is a D-1 QB.

Yea, it was pretty obvious with the breakdown. TRob just doesn't have the mental game down at this point. Simple things like using motion to pickup if they are in zone or man and who become this #1 option. Given that he seems behind CV with his throwing mechanics has me wondering if CV might be a viable option,or maybe a better term the best option. Those two int were just really poorly thrown balls, the WR was open. When you hear CJF tell the press no decision has been made on the starter, that sends up a red flag. When you are trying to spin up a backup as fast as possible, you don't worry about competition as a reason not to name your starter.

When you hear CJF tell the press no decision has been made on the starter, that sends up a red flag. When you are trying to spin up a backup as fast as possible, you don't worry about competition as a reason not to name your starter.

They don't play Illinois today. Why name a starter when you don't have to?

SC might be healthy.

If CV is better than TR, you don't kill TR confidence a week out.

Heck, CV might be behind TR at this point.

Yea, it was pretty obvious with the breakdown. TRob just doesn't have the mental game down at this point. Simple things like using motion to pickup if they are in zone or man and who become this #1 option. Given that he seems behind CV with his throwing mechanics has me wondering if CV might be a viable option,or maybe a better term the best option. Those two int were just really poorly thrown balls, the WR was open. When you hear CJF tell the press no decision has been made on the starter, that sends up a red flag. When you are trying to spin up a backup as fast as possible, you don't worry about competition as a reason not to name your starter.
assuming that SC is not going to be able to play v Illinois or maybe longer, that leaves TR and CV. These two have been competing for the #2 position since spring ball, and TR evidently beat out CV for the backup role. Since Sean has been hurt every year he has been playing, the #2 competition would have been a very important competition. based on seeing TR in practice videos and game situations he does not look like a QB that can be a productive passer in MY offense. he looks inaccurate under no pressure. yet TR has won the #2 spot, so that does not speak much for CV. we may not have a QB that can lead this team to any kind of credible passing offense. if we were running Army offense, this may not be an issue, but we are running MY offense.

so that leaves the run game, which has not been productive with SC as a major passing threat. Noah now looks worse than he did at Wisky. Ford, Lovett and Holmes injured and some of them may be out for some games. That leaves Lee as the main RB. can we produce running yards to help offset the loss of passing yards with teams not respecting the pass game?

if I thought that there was a chance SC was out for many games or most of the year, I would look at other options, which is why I suggested Tyler Warren as a QB. He has a huge arm, can run and has already been in big game pressure with the ball in his hand. if you bet that SC comes back, and he does not, then we are stuck with TR and CV as only options. I assume that JF is assuming that SC will be back in 2-3 weeks, but the reality is that nobody really knows how long it will take SC to heal.

As a point of reference - Tua broke his ribs against the bills and is expected back this week. He will have missed only 4 weeks if he plays this week.

Reactions: NedFromYork

SC might be healthy.

There's a reason TR went in the game when Cliff went down. The reason was NOT the result of a coin flip.

Reactions: lazydave841

OSU game all boils down to who can run the ball. If we hold Henderson in check (rushing and short passes) and get a 100 yard back we could win. I have little to faith we turn our run game around.

O$U is a loss with or without Clifford. It was going to be a loss with a healthy Clifford and Mustipher.

For us the key is to win all others and finish 10-2 and get a NY6 bowl. Would be great to beat scUM and Harbaugh at home. Clifford should be in decent shape for that one and hopefully even healthier for at Sparty.
Hey !! Let’s just call it a season and go home if every game left is a loss before we play ..... i’m sure the team would be thrilled to hear this is how fans are looking at what’s left of the season.

Last edited:

SC might be healthy.

If CV is behind what we saw last week then we better be hitting every single school in America for a portal qb in case Cliff decides to move on.

ADVERTISEMENT