ADVERTISEMENT

SBNation Preview of Wisconsin

• Thread starter anon_is9z1n0h3zblb
  • Start date
They have 2 tough games on their schedule... at UM and here. The rest is pretty much a joke (sure, things happen, but I'd happily trade places)... more to the point, there are no murderers row back to back stretches to wear them down.

They have 2 tough games on their schedule... at UM and here. The rest is pretty much a joke (sure, things happen, but I'd happily trade places)... more to the point, there are no murderers row back to back stretches to wear them down.

at Iowa and at Northwestern is far from easy or a joke. Their home schedule should be very easy but every strong opponent they have is on he road (that's some bad luck)...I do agree with you about them not having tough back to back games unless Nebraska improves greatly but to say they only have two games that aren't a joke is false.

don't we also play iowa (thankfully we miss a much improved nw)? and msu... and um.. and osu... and wisky? . wisky's schedule is a joke by comparison to what psu and um and likely even msu and um and osu (tcu and oregon state) are going to do.

imo, of course.

but tell ya what... i'll switch with Wisky doodle ANYTIME.

Realistically, Wisconsin needs a perfect, undefeated season along with PSU and Michigan finishing with 2 losses respectfully (both regular season games to UW, one to the other, and the winner of that another loss in the CCG) to remotely make the playoff. This team was not going to make the playoffs last season even if they beat OSU.

Trading schedules would benefit us none if we want in the playoff.

hard to believe their entire OL is back and they only lose two starters on offense. OL's are always so under rated. It would be a shock not to see them play in the B1G championship game. While they do have a weak conference and a much weaker schedule than anyone in the East, hats off to them being in the mix year in and year out

Reactions: PSU&Trout
don't we also play iowa (thankfully we miss a much improved nw)? and msu... and um.. and osu... and wisky? . wisky's schedule is a joke by comparison to what psu and um and likely even msu and um and osu (tcu and oregon state) are going to do.

imo, of course.

but tell ya what... i'll switch with Wisky doodle ANYTIME.

Our road schedule is as easy as their home schedule aside from Michigan. I'll always take the harder home schedule than the harder road schedule. Wisconsin's road schedule is more difficult than our's. I never said their overall schedule was easier...I said they have more than 2 real opponents

Realistically, Wisconsin needs a perfect, undefeated season along with PSU and Michigan finishing with 2 losses respectfully (both regular season games to UW, one to the other, and the winner of that another loss in the CCG) to remotely make the playoff. This team was not going to make the playoffs last season even if they beat OSU.

Trading schedules would benefit us none if we want in the playoff.

If they go 13-0 with that road schedule and a win over Penn State/Ohio State/Michigan/Michigan State
on a neutral field there's no way a one-loss Big Ten east jumps then. Especially with our weak OOC. Maybe Michigan or Ohio State if their non-conference opponents have huge years...meaning ND and TCU. We have no shot to jump them because it means they beat us at home.

there's no way a one-loss Big Ten east jumps then.

I'm not talking about an East team jumping them. I'm saying they need a lot of help to make the playoff, period. Realistically, they need PSU and Michigan to have the best possible record, which means both lose 1 game to Wisconsin. Then, because they play, PSU or Michigan will incur a second loss. Let's just say, we win (because it's a PSU board and I don't like Michigan). This puts us in a CCG rematch with Wisconsin. Another Badger win might get them into the playoff, but don't forget this team was undefeated and ranked #6 before the CCG this past season. Nothing is certain for them, but this is as good of a scenario as they can get.

Our road schedule is as easy as their home schedule aside from Michigan. I'll always take the harder home schedule than the harder road schedule. Wisconsin's road schedule is more difficult than our's. I never said their overall schedule was easier...I said they have more than 2 real opponents
that's fair. i always look to the back-to-back (and -back,... and back again) games to determine true SOS. Winning when you play huge physical teams (with talent) on back to back (and then some) Saturdays is the hard part...

face it, playing illinois, buttgers, and nw prior to us should not prove taxing for that team. they will be a lot fresher and less beaten up.

Regardless, I shouldn't say wisky plays a joke of a schedule.. it's easier than ours, no question. but they do have some tough road games. But I do think they can drop 1 game and still get in... that lost game just cannot be um or us... but so long as they can point to beating all 3 (i'm inmcluding the champs game which they'd have to win) and all 3 are top 10 teams... they should be in.

in a logical world lol.

There must be some way we can make it even easier for the Badgers to get to the conference championship.

For instance I see no reason why they should ever have to travel for a game. Next year let's give them all home games.

The idea that an undefeated Wisconsin (or any undefeated B10!team) would be anything other than a lock for the four-team invitational is silly

I'm not talking about logic. I'm merely pointing out that they were not a lock to get in over Alabama had they won and that they basically need their East opponents, primarily the ones with name value, to be as strong as possible.

Wisky is the same team every year but with different players. They play smart, smash mouth football which usually nets them 8, 9, 10 wins... it’s a good nap when watching them. They methodically wear their opponents out. They usually struggle against athletic teams unless at home.

Reactions: DandyDonII
I'm not talking about an East team jumping them. I'm saying they need a lot of help to make the playoff, period. Realistically, they need PSU and Michigan to have the best possible record, which means both lose 1 game to Wisconsin. Then, because they play, PSU or Michigan will incur a second loss. Let's just say, we win (because it's a PSU board and I don't like Michigan). This puts us in a CCG rematch with Wisconsin. Another Badger win might get them into the playoff, but don't forget this team was undefeated and ranked #6 before the CCG this past season. Nothing is certain for them, but this is as good of a scenario as they can get.

You're wrong …..4th in the playoff rankings and 3rd in the polls
http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/14/year/2017/seasontype/2
they were 6th AFTER losing to Ohio State...they were in if they win that game...especially with Auburn losing. Georgia-Bama would have been the debate. Hell, Wisconsin may have been the 2 seed.

You said they were #6, and on the outside looking in, as an undefeated team heading into the B10 CG.

That is simply not true.
They weren’t. They were #3 in both polls, and #4 in the “invitational committee” heading into the game vs OSU...... and as much of a “lock” as humanly possible with a win over OSU.

I was incorrect on that fact. Still doesn't mean they were a lock. A lock would have been ranked higher than the 3 1-loss teams ahead of them. Go back to the year OSU won the playoff. The committee moves teams at the end to satisfy whatever they want or the sponsors. The rhyme and reason changes yearly.

I was incorrect on that fact. Still doesn't mean they were a lock. A lock would have been ranked higher than the 3 1-loss teams ahead of them. Go back to the year OSU won the playoff. The committee moves teams at the end to satisfy whatever they want or the sponsors. The rhyme and reason changes yearly.

Lock--Ohio State had 2 losses they weren't undefeated...same when we were left out--2 losses. Again, the key, two losses. If Wisconsin had 1 you could even make an argument but not at 13-0. You're doubling down on your mistake instead of just admitting you were wrong.

Lock--Ohio State had 2 losses they weren't undefeated...same when we were left out--2 losses. Again, the key, two losses. If Wisconsin had 1 you could even make an argument but not at 13-0. You're doubling down on your mistake instead of just admitting you were wrong.

OSU didn't have two losses the year they won the playoff. And nowhere have I mentioned PSU being left out with two losses until now in this thread.

Undefeated UW was not a lock over 1-loss Alabama. I would like to think they would have been. Doesn't mean I think it's true.

The author is wrong right from the start - Wisconsin IS merely “Wisconsin good”...no more, no less. As someone previously mentioned, they are one of the last bastions of smash-mouth football remaining, and in that sense, I can appreciate their commitment and consistency to that brand. In a game full of gimmicks and specialty packages, it’s kind of refreshing to look at what football used to look like. The problem with Wisconsin is that they don’t have the athletes to compete at the highest level. They are the product of finding the right 3 star athletes to match your system, and then coaching them to play it to perfection. That will work most of the time until you go up against a team that has better all-around talent.

When we have a good team, we dispose of Whisky. (even during Paterno later years we have better athletes). Whisky generally only beats us during our bad-mediocre years (hell, O'Brien beat them twice)....
I can't remember the last time we lost to Whisky when we had a season where we went to a decent bowl......

Wisconsin’s last four Bowl Games

Wisconsin 34 - Miami 24
Wisconsin 23 - USC 21
Wisconsin 34 - Auburn 31
And
Wisconsin 24 - WMU 16

Also in that time frame: Wisconsin 16 - LSU 14

Those are some big names they beat for sure, but they are only good names, they generally did not have good teams

1. Vs. Miami, Miami was probably their "best" opponent in the bowls. However, they had really struggled late in the season, and were very fortunate to not have a loss until the PITT powerhouse dismantled them...
2. USC- It was a holiday bowl game, and USC went 8-5 that season...Not a good team, 8-5 in the PAC, ugh.
3. Auburn went 8-5 that season...Horrible defense.....
4. WMU, yes they went undefeated, but it was WMU for god sakes....Come on now.
5. LSU vs. Whisky.....Yes, the season that got Miles fired. It also shows why the SEC probably does not like coming up North too much. Plus, the LSU team was probably a prefect fit for Whisky, no offense. That type of game played to Whisky's strengths, low scoring smash mouth game where they could win a close one. I give them props for this...

These wins were not huge wins by any stretch of the imagination, they were played against teams with good reputations, but lackluster teams. Will be interesting to see if their QB improves enough to actually make good teams respect their passing game....If he doesn't (or WRs can't provoke some fear) then it will be same ole, same ole for Whisky.

Reactions: djr4rebs
Since the B1G has gone to the East/West divisions --- Wisconsin is 1-5 against teams that finished in the Top 3 of the B1G East.

That one win was against Maryland in 2014. 7-6 Maryland, who got curb-stomped by Stanford in the Foster Farms Bowl. But the Terps did finish 3rd in the B1G East that year - so it does count as a win nonetheless.

Until they start beating some top-level B1G East teams, I'm not a Badger Believer.

OSU didn't have two losses the year they won the playoff. And nowhere have I mentioned PSU being left out with two losses until now in this thread.

Undefeated UW was not a lock over 1-loss Alabama. I would like to think they would have been. Doesn't mean I think it's true.

You need to learn to read...no one said Ohio State had 2 losses when they made he playoff--that's the point
LOCK...L-O-C-K
A 13-0 Power 5 team will never be left out because it will end the agreement.

^^^

You can type it as many ways as you like. A lock isn't ranked #4 before CCG week.

When they didn't make it they had two losses--you can't be this clueless--read your words then the response...maybe read it twice in the future. Ohio State LIKE PENN STATE was left out WITH 2 losses...an undefeated Big Ten (any P5 champ) is a lock...LOCK. LOCK. The only team capable of jumping Wisconsin was Georgia and, in doing so, that eliminates Auburn. This is very simle. You're probably one of the people still confused as to how Ohio State got in over us when the only debate was Penn State-Washington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT