ADVERTISEMENT

Say something nice about Kentucky

besides Keeneland, the Burgoo they serve, and some mighyt fine bourbons, dont over look look Highway 23, which runs down into coal country. Along that road, such acts as the Judds, Ricky Skaggs, Billy Ray Cyrus, Loretta Lynn, Chris Stapleton, Keith Whitley, Crystal Gayle, Dwight Yoakam and my favorite, Paul Pace all grew up and played the local watering holes!!
The other is Henry Clay, and I still have a hard time understanding why the city of Pottsville, Pa has such a fine statue of that man towering over its city.

I live in Lexington and it’s an awesome place. Beautiful city with a lot to do and a ton of great restaurants. I work all over the state and have found many great places such as Bowling Green, Louisville, Florence, Owensboro. 4th Street Live in Louisville is a great place to go in the evening. The people are great as is the bourbon. I have nothing bad to say about the area.
I used to spend some time working in Lexington and can vouch for this. Good place. On the other hand, it's hard to forgive them for handing us that loss in 1977. That one hurt.:(

besides Keeneland, the Burgoo they serve, and some mighyt fine bourbons, dont over look look Highway 23, which runs down into coal country. Along that road, such acts as the Judds, Ricky Skaggs, Billy Ray Cyrus, Loretta Lynn, Chris Stapleton, Keith Whitley, Crystal Gayle, Dwight Yoakam and my favorite, Paul Pace all grew up and played the local watering holes!!
The other is Henry Clay, and I still have a hard time understanding why the city of Pottsville, Pa has such a fine statue of that man towering over its city.

Tradition holds that the monument to Clay was erected because he favored a tariff on coal which helped the anthracite coal region. Examination of this period reveals that a tariff was placed on iron and the increased production of iron products, in turn, created demand for anthracite coal which was used to smelt iron.

http://schuylkillhistory.org/henry-clay/

I never knew either.

Kentucky's finest.

muhammad_ali_1996_olympic_opening_ceremony_michael_cooper_getty_images_225121jpg.jpg

The Kentucky Colonels is a fine charitable organization that includes many well-known people among its members.

Besides the fact that I once lived there, 10 other great things about Kentucky:

1) The best views of Downtown Cincinnati, Ohio are from Kentucky.

2) Red River Gorge is a wonderful scenic area.

3) Home of Keeneland. Best horse track in America, bar none.

4) Like Pennsylvania, it is a Commonwealth.

5) Cumberland Falls in the southern part of the state: a mini Niagara Falls. Really. You can also regularly see moon-bows there.

6) Mammoth Cave, it lives up to its name.

7) The state produced the legendary Colonel Harlan Sanders.

8) Home of the Corvette: Bowling Green, Kentucky.

9) Also the home state of both Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis. The TRUE area where south meets north in America.

10) Bourbon trail. Kentucky bourbon is better than Tennessee whiskey.
Lake Cumberland is nice.

I have two brothers-in-law from KY. Three of my four siblings went to college in Ky.

Having done a project in Kentucky and spent some time down there, the people in the country side in general are Southern nice. It is a nice change from the Northeast city/suburb type rat race and always watching your back type of envirnoment.

Tradition holds that the monument to Clay was erected because he favored a tariff on coal which helped the anthracite coal region. Examination of this period reveals that a tariff was placed on iron and the increased production of iron products, in turn, created demand for anthracite coal which was used to smelt iron.

http://schuylkillhistory.org/henry-clay/

I never knew either.
thanks!! My mom's explanation when I asked was, 'he did alot for coal'

I went one year in the '70s. The game when the huge quarterback for them beat us almost single-handedly 24-20, I believe. Who was that qb who went on to a pro career as a tight end???

Loved the state and the people we met. Still remember the pleasant smell as we descended on the Taylor distillery, Old Grandad was closed the day we were there. Food was great!

Derrick Ramsey played TE in the pros. He was the QB who led the upset in Happy Valley in 1977. Art Still, another all-time college great was on defense.

PSU came back the next year and beat the Wilcats in Lexington 30-0.

I used to spend some time working in Lexington and can vouch for this. Good place. On the other hand, it's hard to forgive them for handing us that loss in 1977. That one hurt.:(
But their fans don’t care...they’re too busy focusing on their basketball team.

My license plate, PSU FAN, lives somewhere in Kentucky. It was stolen in Frankfurt when I was there training state employees.

Derrick Ramsey played TE in the pros. He was the QB who led the upset in Happy Valley in 1977. Art Still, another all-time college great was on defense.

Thanks, you are correct. I must have been there in 1976 when Ramsey beat us 22-6 in Lexington.

Penn State basketball is undefeated at Rupp Arena. <-- how about THAT for the true stat of the day!

(Our record is 1-0. We won our only game there during the 2000-01 season with the Crispin brothers [S16 season])

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

I remember that. I was surprised Ramsey didn’t play QB in the pros because he was really good, sort of a Roethlisberger - type big guy who could extend plays.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I remember that. I was surprised Ramsey didn’t play QB in the pros because he was really good, sort of a Roethlisberger - type big guy who could extend plays.

Yeah, in the late 1970's, it was tough for a black quarterback in college to play the same position in the NFL. Prior to Ramsey entering the league, the only black quarterback with any sustained success was James Harris with the Rams and Chargers.

Looking at the three teams Ramsey played for
Raiders - first black starting QB was 1987 (Vince Evans)
Patriots - first black starting QB was 2016 (Jacoby Brisset)
Lions - first black starting QB was 1989 (Jeff Blake)

It would have been more of a surprise if he had been given an opportunity to play QB given the QBs ahead of him. When he was with the Raiders, the QB was Kenny Stabler; with the Pats it was Steve Grogan and then Tony Eason; with the Lions it was Eric Hipple.

Reactions: JJTopp99
I live in Lexington and it’s an awesome place. Beautiful city with a lot to do and a ton of great restaurants. I work all over the state and have found many great places such as Bowling Green, Louisville, Florence, Owensboro. 4th Street Live in Louisville is a great place to go in the evening. The people are great as is the bourbon. I have nothing bad to say about the area.

What have you to say about Nicholasville Road?

After arriving at a Lexington hotel between the Medical Center and university I noticed that every few minutes there was an emergency siren. I had just traveled down that road and had never seen anything like it. Center lanes without any median inconsistently reversing direction in various places. As an out-of-towner it caught me completely off guard.

When I asked the hotel clerk about all of the sirens he said "Oh yea, that's all the wrecks from the freshman arriving this week."

What have you to say about Nicholasville Road?

After arriving at a Lexington hotel between the Medical Center and university I noticed that every few minutes there was an emergency siren. I had just traveled down that road and had never seen anything like it. Center lanes without any median inconsistently reversing direction in various places. As an out-of-towner it caught me completely off guard.

When I asked the hotel clerk about all of the sirens he said "Oh yea, that's all the wrecks from the freshman arriving this week."
Nicholasville Rd can be a nightmare at certain times. You don’t want to be there around Christmas with the mall there, or when the college is starting or finishing, or after a UK basketball or football game. Other than that, it’s not bad. Compared to other cities, the traffic anywhere in Lexington is not too bad.

I went one year in the '70s. The game when the huge quarterback for them beat us almost single-handedly 24-20, I believe. Who was that qb who went on to a pro career as a tight end???

Loved the state and the people we met. Still remember the pleasant smell as we descended on the Taylor distillery, Old Grandad was closed the day we were there. Food was great!
Derrick Ramsey
"Ramsey was a quarterback and tight end at the University of Kentucky, where he was part of the team that won the 1976 SEC Championship and the 1976 Peach Bowl.[3]He was first team All SEC and third-team All-American as QB in 1977 when Kentucky finished with a 10-1 record and #6 ranking in the final AP poll. Ramsey also played two games on the basketball team as a walk-on in 1976." [4]

ADVERTISEMENT