ADVERTISEMENT

Say it isn't so...

raslen007

Feb 19, 2012
Hypothetically let's just say Cael coaches another (10) years. So in the year 2030 PSU needs a new HC. What past PSU wrestler since 2010 (when the sport began) would you like to see as HC and why?

Reactions: lionlover

Casey would be a good choice but he is older than Cael so probably not going to happen.

Based on early success with M2 I would go with DT but recent grads Zain, Cenzo, Hall, Nickal, etal might turn out to be just as good.

Nolf - continues the tradition of excellence, humility, respect, faith, dedication, hard work, commitment and a zen like talent

Reactions: therod
I'd be shocked if Cael is done by 2030, he'll only be what, 50? Maybe if he surpasses Gable in the next decade, he'll go into an early retirement.

I think DT seems like the obvious choice but I'll throw Cenzo as my vote. I honestly think Cenzo would be a home run recruiter in addition to a great coach.

I'd be shocked if Cael is done by 2030, he'll only be what, 50? Maybe if he surpasses Gable in the next decade, he'll go into an early retirement.

I think DT seems like the obvious choice but I'll throw Cenzo as my vote. I honestly think Cenzo would be a home run recruiter in addition to a great coach.

It seems like we did this not that long ago...oh well, nuttin better ta do.

Agree. Cael would turn 51 in 2030. I think 2040 or even 2045 would be more likely. I just don;t see Cael as someone who would retire at a young age.

There was that one photo a few weeks ago. It was DT , NOLF and two others in the room. I could see all four of them coaching. DT , Retherford , Nickal, and nolf

Reactions: matter7172
I think, in relative order (I might call Nolf and Hall a tie):

DT
Nolf
Mark Hall
Retherford (Zain might be *too* intense, lol)
Nickal

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Agree. Cael would turn 51 in 2030. I think 2040 or even 2045 would be more likely. I just don;t see Cael as someone who would retire at a young age.
Will Cael reach a point where he no longer rolls around with the guys? Can't think of another sport where the coaches actually take part themselves in practice. So maybe Cael reaches a point where he has aches and paints enough to stop getting on the mat himself?

Don't know about how long Cael goes, but David Taylor is my first choice to succeed him; great wrestler, relates well, can be a terrific recruiter. And loves Penn State.

Will Cael reach a point where he no longer rolls around with the guys? Can't think of another sport where the coaches actually take part themselves in practice. So maybe Cael reaches a point where he has aches and paints enough to stop getting on the mat himself?

It got John Fritz for sure.

Reactions: jtothemfp

Don't know about how long Cael goes, but David Taylor is my first choice to succeed him; great wrestler, relates well, can be a terrific recruiter. And loves Penn State.
While this is true, some of the older coaches in the sport do take more of a GM role, I think dresser has admitted this and a few others. Plus Cael will always have some young guys in the club or on staff to roll around. Wrestling is unique in this way though, can’t think of another sport where part of your job is physically practicing against your team, and also while getting hired, a wrestling coaches accomplishments as a competitor seem to matter more than in other sports

I've always surmised that Cael's physical health is probably stronger than even other wrestling coaches simply because he hasn't had as many injury problems as others (e.g. Gable and his legs; he had a damn hip replacement at 48 for crying out loud).

How old is Tom Brands? Does he roll with Lee and DeSanto?

Tom Ryan's age? Does he roll with Sasso?

At what age did Barry Davis retire? Joe McFarland?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Mark Hall is going to make one heck of a coach somewhere at some point. Zain strikes me as another guy that will make a great coach. Many recent guys look like potential coaches down the road. I picture Nick Lee coaching someday- he reminds me of Casey in a weird way.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
How old is Tom Brands? Does he roll with Lee and DeSanto?

Tom Ryan's age? Does he roll with Sasso?

At what age did Barry Davis retire? Joe McFarland?
Tom Brands is 51 currently

Didn't get the exact ages for the others, but approx.:
Tom Ryan 51
Barry Davis retired at approx. 56
Joe McFarland retired at approx. 56

I do think it is even money Markie is an assistant on our squad soon, maybe as a volunteer at first

Hypothetically let's just say Cael coaches another (10) years. So in the year 2030 PSU needs a new HC. What past PSU wrestler since 2010 (when the sport began) would you like to see as HC and why?
Spencer Lee. Just to tear another scab off the Iowa ego.

Reactions: lionlover
Quick semi related question, how does one make a living as a volunteer coach? Are they paid by the RTC club and just a volunteer for the University team?

Last edited:
No but he likes to get thrown around lmfao
200.gif

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT