ADVERTISEMENT

Saw my first PSU game at The Beav in 1972, have never seen a trFR do what Nick Singleton has done in his first 3 collegiate games.

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Attended PSU while Curt Warner and DJ Dozier played there (crossed over 2 years of each as a starter), both All-American RBs. But again, I've never seen a RB do what Nick Singleton has done as a trFR - not even remotely close. And he's only played 3 games! The only one I can think of who has even remotely similar success as a trFR is Barkley, but even he didn't have this kind of success right out of the gate.

Reactions: NC2017
Found this information at gopsusports.com under Saquon Barkley's bio and accomplishments:

2015: Broke Penn State's freshman (true or redshirt) season record with 1,076 rushing yards in 2015, surpassing D.J. Dozier's mark of 1,002 set in 1983...His 2015 season effort ranks 18th on the Penn State single-season rushing charts...Finished tied for first place on the Penn State true freshman season rushing touchdown (Dozier, 7) and 100-yard rushing games lists (Dozier, 5)...Broke Penn State freshman (true or redshirt) season record for all-purpose yards with 1,237, surpassing the mark set by Dozier (1,191; 1983).

So Barkley broke (rushing yards and all-purpose yards) or tied (100 yard games - 5, TDs - 7) all the Freshman records by a RB in 2015 - all of which were held prior by DJ Dozier (1981).

In 2015, Barkley put up 1,076 rushing yards on 182 carries (5.9 ypc), 1,237 all-purpose yards, had 5 100 yard games and 7 TDs.

For comparison purposes, Singleton has put up 334 yards through 3 games on only 30 carries and has already scored 4 TDs.

Found this information at gopsusports.com under Saquon Barkley's bio and accomplishments:

So Barkley broke (rushing yards and all-purpose yards) or tied (100 yard games - 5, TDs - 7) all the Freshman records by a RB in 2015 - all of which were held prior by DJ Dozier (1981).

In 2015, Barkley put up 1,076 rushing yards on 182 carries (5.9 ypc), 1,237 all-purpose yards, had 5 100 yard games and 7 TDs.

For comparison purposes, Singleton has put up 334 yards through 3 games on only 30 carries and has already scored 4 TDs.
Saquon only had one carry in his first game as a true freshman against Temple (a loss). Here are his stats:

• Temple, one yard in a loss
  • He had 115 yards against Buffalo in his second game.
  • He then had 195 yards vs Rutgers
  • That brought him to San Diego state where he had 66 yards. He got hurt in this game and missed the next two
  • Army, did not play
  • Indiana, did not play
  • His national "coming out" day was then against tOSU where he had 199 yards rushing.

Attended PSU while Curt Warner and DJ Dozier played there (crossed over 2 years of each as a starter), both All-American RBs. But again, I've never seen a RB do what Nick Singleton has done as a trFR - not even remotely close. And he's only played 3 games! The only one I can think of who has even remotely similar success as a trFR is Barkley, but even he didn't have this kind of success right out of the gate.
It is pretty amazing what he's done. What is also amazing is that I wouldn't necessarily call him the feature back yet, though signs are pointing to it. He's clearly got take-it-to-the-house ability that we've missed, but that isn't all there is to being a running back. Pro Football Focus actually rated Allen's performance higher than Singleton's for the Auburn game, because they look at more than just rushing yards. This might be a Ki-Jana Carter Mike Archie kind of situation if both stick around for a while. I like both backs and think PSU and Franklin did a great job with this freshman class. I hope he can keep things together. If we don't challenge for the playoff this year (I think we have a good sot) we will the next 2 years.

Reactions: PSUSignore
It is pretty amazing what he's done. What is also amazing is that I wouldn't necessarily call him the feature back yet, though signs are pointing to it. He's clearly got take-it-to-the-house ability that we've missed, but that isn't all there is to being a running back. Pro Football Focus actually rated Allen's performance higher than Singleton's for the Auburn game, because they look at more than just rushing yards. This might be a Ki-Jana Carter Mike Archie kind of situation if both stick around for a while. I like both backs and think PSU and Franklin did a great job with this freshman class. I hope he can keep things together. If we don't challenge for the playoff this year (I think we have a good sot) we will the next 2 years.
I think it could be even better...think Reggie Bush and Len Dale White.

Saquon only had one carry in his first game as a true freshman against Temple (a loss). Here are his stats:

• Temple, one yard in a loss
  • He had 115 yards against Buffalo in his second game.
  • He then had 195 yards vs Rutgers
  • That brought him to San Diego state where he had 66 yards. He got hurt in this game and missed the next two
  • Army, did not play
  • Indiana, did not play
  • His national "coming out" day was then against tOSU where he had 199 yards rushing.
I still shake my head remembering his 50ish td called back for a meaningless holding call — no way a db was tackling him at full speed. If he gets 250 yards and we get the win…something to wonder about.

The other thing was we were still an under center, deep back team. Would Saquon have been better in that offense? You have to assume better line and qb play but I do wonder.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I go back a little further, into the late 60's but then again true freshmen didn't play back then anyway. But from the breadth of my memories I still go back to Dozier tearing up the #3 Alabama as a true freshman with bursts up the middle, jumps over defenders, and spins away from tackles for 163 yards. Dozier had a great PSU career capped off by a National Championship, but he was dazzling as a true freshman.

I love Singleton, but his exploits so far were against Ohio and an severely over rated Auburn team that's on it's way to getting their coach run out of town. So when Singleton takes over this year's Michigan and/or oh-high-ya state game, then for me he'll move past DJ.

I go back a little further, into the late 60's but then again true freshmen didn't play back then anyway. But from the breadth of my memories I still go back to Dozier tearing up the #3 Alabama as a true freshman with bursts up the middle, jumps over defenders, and spins away from tackles for 163 yards. Dozier had a great PSU career capped off by a National Championship, but he was dazzling as a true freshman.

I love Singleton, but his exploits so far were against Ohio and an severely over rated Auburn team that's on it's way to getting their coach run out of town. So when Singleton takes over this year's Michigan and/or oh-high-ya state game, then for me he'll move past DJ.

Don't disagree - was a student at PSU at the time of the Alabama game you reference. I was only referring to the first 3 games of the year by a trFR - DJ was a rsFR in the game you referenced (and although he had a great rsFR season, he didn't have the start to that season that NS has had).

The title says true freshman without listing positions so.......Jimmy Ceffalo, wide receiver. Exploded on the scene and wasn’t even on the roster on opening game. Announcers didn’t know who scored the first TD of the game!

ADVERTISEMENT