ADVERTISEMENT

Saw Casablanca at the Tull Movie Theater in Sewickley tonite.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
The Tull is a very nice venue, and watching it on a movie screen is always a treat. I think I've seen Casablanca 40 or so times through the years and I never tire of it. My gosh, Ingrid Bergman was a beautiful woman.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The Tull is a very nice venue, and watching it on a movie screen is always a treat. I think I've seen Casablanca 40 or so times through the years and I never tire of it. My gosh, Ingrid Bergman was a beautiful woman.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Fair gambit. Are you from Sewickley? Me brother and his wife live there. Their three kids graduated from Quaker Valley HS. My wife and I visit every year for Thanksgiving. Very nice area and a neat town.

Reactions: fairgambit
When asked to pick an all-time great scene from any movie, just a single scene..I quickly think of the scene where the Germans are singing their anthem, and the French drown them out with La Marseillaise.

Fair gambit. Are you from Sewickley? Me brother and his wife live there. Their three kids graduated from Quaker Valley HS. My wife and I visit every year for Thanksgiving. Very nice area and a neat town.
I am not but my wife and I spend a lot of time there. We have a number of friends living in town and visit them often. My wife got her BMW at the Sewickley dealership, and our eye doctor has his office on Broad Street. We often eat in town. I love the place. We've been there 3 times in the past 5 days. As you likely know, Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby have homes there.

Mario's modest home in Sewickley.
mario-lemieuxs-house.jpg

Last edited:
I am not but my wife and I spend a lot of time there. We have a number of friends living in town and visit them often. My wife got her BMW at the Sewickley dealership, and our eye doctor has his office on Broad Street. We often eat in town. I love the place. We've been there 3 times in the past 5 days. As you likely know, Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby have homes there.
Fair, I live about five miles from Sewickley. Belong to the YMCA on Blackburn Road, so am there often.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
We need an Ingrid vs. Grace poll someday....perhaps when things get slow on this “bored” :)

Casablanca is one of my 2 favorite movies of the film noir vintage, the other being The Maltese Falcon. Actually, I rate the Maltese Falcon my number 1, while most Bogart fans have Cacablanca their fav Bogart flick.

Both movies feature my favorite old time movie actor, Humphrey Bogart and my favorite all time character actor, Sydney Greenstreet. Also, both movies feature great supporting actors and character actors.

mario-lemieuxs-house.jpg
Yes. My brother points out the home every year. LOL
There are some places outside of Sewickley that are equally amazing - if not more so.

Casablanca is one of my 2 favorite movies of the film noir vintage, the other being The Maltese Falcon. Actually, I rate the Maltese Falcon my number 1, while most Bogart fans have Cacablanca their fav Bogart flick.

Both movies feature my favorite old time movie actor, Humphrey Bogart and my favorite all time character actor, Sydney Greenstreet. Also, both movies feature great supporting actors and character actors.
Admit it, you like both movies because you have a man crush on Peter Lorre. ;)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
The best double feature I’ve ever seen was Casablanca followed immediately (without credits etc or intros) by Play it Again Sam!!!
Too much

mario-lemieuxs-house.jpg
It truly is a beautiful town. For those from out east, it would settle seamlessly along the Main Line. I used to caddy at the Sewickley Heights Golf Club in the summers when I was in school. Great tips and picked up a lot of pointers just from watching/talking with some pretty good golfers.

My high school used to be in the same division as Quaker Valley...they weren’t very good at football at the time, but neither were we, so I remember some pretty good games.

Sewickly Academy had an UNBELIEVABLE soccer team (believe they won states several times back then). They were so dominant that they’d send their freshman team to play us, and we’d still get stomped.

Speaking of a great local venue in the Pittsburgh area, anyone who goes to the Oaks Theater in Oakmont?

Went to matinees there way back in the 1950's; on a trip back to Oakmont a few years ago, I was glad to see it has been restored and apparently is a popular spot for movies, live music, and other events.

Rick.. You despise me don't you

If I gave you any thought I would

I love Casablanca. As an aside, a fun bit of movie hostory that some may not know. Bogart did not like Ingrid Bergman, although I’m not entirely sure why. He often ignored her on set unless he had to act with her and, most famously, he turned down a dinner invitation from her to go get drunk and play chess...by himself. LOL! Nevertheless when he had to show his love for her on screen it is completely believable. He was a great actor. I love Bogie’s movies. Have never seen it on the big screen. It’s on my “to do” list.

Speaking of a great local venue in the Pittsburgh area, anyone who goes to the Oaks Theater in Oakmont?

Went to matinees there way back in the 1950's; on a trip back to Oakmont a few years ago, I was glad to see it has been restored and apparently is a popular spot for movies, live music, and other events.
I was there 2 years ago around this time of year Johnnie Angel & The Halos held a beautiful Christmas concert there. One of my wife’s good friends’ daughter sang a lot of vocals for the group. The theatre is nicely restored! I like the section in the rear with “high boy” tables where you can enjoy a cocktail during a show.

Lorre and Greenstreet were in so many movies together they’d often joke about it. They’re both great actors. Love the “locked room” murder mystery they did together (forget the name) and the Mask of Dimitrios.

I love Casablanca. As an aside, a fun bit of movie hostory that some may not know. Bogart did not like Ingrid Bergman, although I’m not entirely sure why. He often ignored her on set unless he had to act with her and, most famously, he turned down a dinner invitation from her to go get drunk and play chess...by himself. LOL! Nevertheless when he had to show his love for her on screen it is completely believable. He was a great actor. I love Bogie’s movies. Have never seen it on the big screen. It’s on my “to do” list.
I had never heard that. Can't say I agree with him...I do not think there was a more stunning woman in the first half of the 20th century than Ingrid.

Humphrey Bogart's wife Mayo Methot continually accused him of having an affair with Ingrid Bergman, often confronting him in his dressing room before a shot. Bogart would come onto the set in a rage. In fact, despite the undeniable on-screen chemistry between Bogart and Bergman, they hardly spoke, and the only time they bonded was when the two had lunch with Geraldine Fitzgerald. According to Fitzgerald, "The whole subject at lunch was how they could get out of that movie. They thought the dialogue was ridiculous and the situations were unbelievable . . . I knew Bogart very well, and I think he wanted to join forces with Bergman, to make sure they both said the same things." For whatever reasons, Bogart and Bergman rarely spoke after that.

Humphrey Bogart's wife Mayo Methot continually accused him of having an affair with Ingrid Bergman, often confronting him in his dressing room before a shot. Bogart would come onto the set in a rage. In fact, despite the undeniable on-screen chemistry between Bogart and Bergman, they hardly spoke, and the only time they bonded was when the two had lunch with Geraldine Fitzgerald. According to Fitzgerald, "The whole subject at lunch was how they could get out of that movie. They thought the dialogue was ridiculous and the situations were unbelievable . . . I knew Bogart very well, and I think he wanted to join forces with Bergman, to make sure they both said the same things." For whatever reasons, Bogart and Bergman rarely spoke after that.

That’s interesting. I was under the impression it was because Bergman had an affair with an Italian director, who she later married, and Bogie was put off by it because of his own marital problems. But the affair could have come later. I do think it’s funny that he basically said to her that he’d rather play chess drunk and alone than have dinner with her. Regardless, it’s a great movie with some of he greatest actors of their era.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Our taste in women is impeccable. Ingrid was beautiful.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Ingrid was 27 years old when she starred in Casablanca.

The Tull is funded by Thomas Tull, he of Hollywood producer fame and part-owner of the Steelers. He has a home in Sewickley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tull

True. Maybe I'll see him at the Tull Theater someday and I can get him to buy a share of Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises. The guy is worth 1.9 billion.

This is his home, purchased in 2017, for 15 million.
images

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
That’s interesting. I was under the impression it was because Bergman had an affair with an Italian director, who she later married, and Bogie was put off by it because of his own marital problems. But the affair could have come later. I do think it’s funny that he basically said to her that he’d rather play chess drunk and alone than have dinner with her. Regardless, it’s a great movie with some of he greatest actors of their era.
No, Bergman did not meet Roberto Rossellini until 1948, six years after Casablanca.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
True. Maybe I'll see him at the Tull Theater someday and I can get him to buy a share of Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises. The guy is worth 1.9 billion.

That would buy a lot of expensive but low-quality game jerseys, for sure. If you sell him enough of them, you too can move to Sewickley. Although I suspect you can already afford it, barrister.

That would buy a lot of expensive but low-quality game jerseys, for sure. If you sell him enough of them, you too can move to Sewickley. Although I suspect you can already afford it, barrister.
Ah yes, I could afford to live there.
Not all the homes are owned by rich folks. Some, depending on location, sell for less than 300 grand. Of course, those don't have 8 bedrooms, so what's the point?:)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I saw it in the Forum Building in the mid 80's with an ex. She loved the classics.

ADVERTISEMENT