ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's silver lining for me........

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
Sat 80 rows from the field in silence after the game.
Extremely disappointed.
But, as others have said, life is short and we move on.

My silver lining is I left Archbold, Ohio at 4:30 Saturday morning with my best friend. He is my 18-year old son, and he came home from college in Grand Rapids, MI for the trip. He was jacked. I dropped him off at Old Main for Gameday as that was a big priority for him. We made it to our traditional stop at CC Pepper's. Walked around tailgates and stopped at a friends on the SE corner of Jeffery Field. My son and I had a beer together (which he admitted was not his first :)).
His voice was gone early 1st quarter. He and I sat quietly in our seats afterwards until the crowds thinned out. We, like many, were sure with @6:00 remaining in the game, we had this one.

It was a ride home that we talked about the many many little things that went wrong throughout the game that could have changed the outcome. We concluded it was not just the last play, although that was part of the conversation.

We were both representing Sunday with Penn State clothing somewhere on our bodies.

The silver lining of spending a weekend like this was I did it with my son. From my son to mom when we pulled in the driveway - "I've been to the B1G championship and the Fiesta Bowl, but this was the greatest atmosphere I have ever been in. It was awesome." Yes, a win for us in Ohiya would have been terrific. But having this time with your son (or daughter) isn't going to happen every day.

Thanks for letting me share.

OL

Extremely disappointed.

My silver lining is I left Archbold, Ohio at 4:30 Saturday morning with my best friend. He is my 18-year old son, and he came home from college in Grand Rapids, MI for the trip. He was jacked. I dropped him off at Old Main for Gameday as that was a big priority for him. We made it to our traditional stop at CC Pepper's. Walked around tailgates and stopped at a friends on the SE corner of Jeffery Field. My son and I had a beer together (which he admitted was not his first :)).
His voice was gone early 1st quarter. He and I sat quietly in our seats afterwards until the crowds thinned out. We, like many, were sure with @6:00 remaining in the game, we had this one.

It was a ride home that we talked about the many many little things that went wrong throughout the game that could have changed the outcome. We concluded it was not just the last play, although that was part of the conversation.

We were both representing Sunday with Penn State clothing somewhere on our bodies.

The silver lining of spending a weekend like this was I did it with my son. From my son to mom when we pulled in the driveway - "I've been to the B1G championship and the Fiesta Bowl, but this was the greatest atmosphere I have ever been in. It was awesome." Yes, a win for us in Ohiya would have been terrific. But having this time with your son (or daughter) isn't going to happen every day.

OL

Outstanding and THANK YOU for sharing! Good luck to your son in his future endeavors. I’m sure he will do well.

A post like this puts the last 48 hours into a proper perspective.

Thanks for posting, I went with my 13 yr old and as we were walking back he said “thanks for doing this with me dad.” I turned and said “thank you for doing it with me!” I know I have him at home for a few more years before he ventures out into the world, but experiencing that game and atmosphere, with him, even in a loss, is something I will never forget. Hopefully he won’t either.

My silver lining is that when I saw Bryan Bresee today, he ran up to me and said, "man I was so pissed" In other words, I would say he was emotionally in to the game for the good guys....

Extremely disappointed.

OL

Good stuff OL. Grand Rapids, MI. Grand Valley State?

Great story. The lasting impression of that game from all but the most masochistic will be the unbelievably electric atmosphere.

My silver lining is that when I saw Bryan Bresee today, he ran up to me and said, "man I was so pissed" In other words, I would say he was emotionally in to the game for the good guys....
This is some JUICY intel

Extremely disappointed.

OL
The emotions that were swirling around the stadium after the final seconds ticked off the clock were felt by everyone. I don't take losses easy, and with the Beav's ancient exit plans... we were all forced to sit there and reflect.

Then the Alma Mater started, and at first I had no interest in singing.. but as the echoes started to pick up, I caught myself mouthing the words until finally at the crescendo at the end I was yelling it just like everyone else in our section.

We really do have some of the best fans in College Football. And the majority of our season ticket holders are a lot younger than I remember them being. I saw a lot of great interaction with OSU and PSU fans on Saturday. The rivalry is as clean as it's been, and the the last three years have arguably been the best regular season games of each season.

The Penn State Ohio State game is the highlight of the year, my kid on Christmas excitement day of the year. The team played their guys out, and lost at home by a 1 pt as a 3.5 point dog. Onto Sparty we go.

You could have stopped right there OL and it would have been a win-win ;)
You know Archbold?
Took a picture one year as we left town for 2 weeks camping in Ludington, MI, through rear view mirror of the corporation limit sign.
My caption was "best thing we saw on vacation, Archbold in the rear view mirror!"

OL

I went with my 13 yr old and as we were walking back he said “thanks for doing this with me dad.” I turned and said “thank you for doing it with me!
Not sure where you live, but try to get to away games. Then find where busses are parked after games. Did this for several years to the point that Sean Lee said to my son - are you here again? We made it to 6 games that year - I think 4 on the road.
Do as much with your son as you can. Those game day trips are worth the time, effort and money!

OL

Reactions: colby57
ADVERTISEMENT