ADVERTISEMENT

Saquon's best play vs Iowa? *

I thought is was either the sideline stop and start that NittanyOpp mentioned or the play where he hurtled the defender, got hit in the air by another defender, and still maintained his footing and got the first down. But shoot, there were so many amazing plays from him.

Reactions: JoeFi
The most impressive was the run to the sideline where he stuck his foot in the ground & accelerated past the defender. It was simply unhuman.

The best?

I'd have to go with the leap. It was 3rd down and if Barkley doesn't get the first there, we're in a lot of trouble.

Reactions: psu2016
The most impressive was the run to the sideline where he stuck his foot in the ground & accelerated past the defender. It was simply unhuman.

The best?

I'd have to go with the leap. It was 3rd down and if Barkley doesn't get the first there, we're in a lot of trouble.
Except for the fact that we had a blocked field goal and Iowa scored anyway so that drive and play ended up being meaningless.

Except for the fact that we had a blocked field goal and Iowa scored anyway so that drive and play ended up being meaningless.

In the grand scheme, sure.

At the end of the day, Saquon's leap put us in a position to score. In the moment, it was critical.

Reactions: mn78psu83
It was the 3rd and 6 hurdle. That play probably saved the game, even though it wasn't on the final drive. It was the second to last drive. They absolutely needed it. They couldn't afford to punt there. When Trace threw the ball to him he was still behind the LOS and my first though was that we're screwed. That first down was crucial. Barkley willed himself to that first down.

Why was it so important? We drove down deep into Iowa territory and the FG was blocked. At the time I thought the FG was the most crucial thing because with it all PSU would need is a FG to tie if Iowa scored a TD and converted a 2-pt conversion. Driving the length of the field is tough.

I was wrong, though. If Saquon does not get that first down we punt. If Iowa drives and scores a TD then PSU has to do the same, but there may have been too much time left on the clock if that had happened. I believe Iowa may have had a chance to get the ball back and beat us with another FG as time expired.

Getting that first down and eating the clock and driving deep in Iowa territory saved that game.

Then there was the one where he bowled over two Iowa defenders and ran another ten yards or so. Just an amazing over all performance.

Reactions: mn78psu83
They were all awesome...my best was when he juked Josey Jewell out of this jock strap (is that still a thing?). He then jukes two players when he was hemmed in, reminiscent of his long run against USC. Jewell was awesome Saturday/

Juke-2016-QAB-sml.png.ximg.s_12_h.smart.png

The hurdle was no better than his 4th best play.
Not his best play, but probably the most impressive. He hurdled a guy, got hit by the next guy while still in the air, seemingly used the impact to stabilize and kept going.

What else comes close in the "looks test?" It's all about highlight material and the Heisman campaign for 90% of the opinions that matter. Just think of the fees ESPN will generate from Nissan (the Heisman sponsors--for anyone who doesn't own a TV) using that little clip.

So so so many but to me the late catch, stop and start on the final drive on Jewell to get out of bounds was enormous considering we scored. But man thats tough.
I don't know if that was the "best" in terms of showcasing Barkley's off-the-charts abilities, but I think it was the most critical. If Barkley didn't get that first down we have to burn a time out, or clock the ball. Barkley's juke of Jewell and getting the first down and out of bounds likely allowed us to run 2 more plays in the game. Given that we scored on the last play with 4 seconds on the clock, who knows what would have happened had he not picked up that conversion when he did.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
This game exemplifies why Barkley is by far the best player in CFB today.

1. The hurdle... GTFOH
2. His blitz pickup on the final play
3. His Jewell Juke on the final drive
4. His TD run - how he twists his body while running is beyond me
5. His long run for a TD that got called back because his foot was 1/2 inch over the line
6. His cutback runs
7. His ability to run around the end, then burst through the secondary
8. His pass catching and the YAC

Seriously... if he doesn't win The Heisman something is fixed

Oh - and don't forget... he did this in a road game, against a Top 6 Defense, against an unbeaten team, in a very hostile environment, when ROT was played by 3 different guys.

So so so many but to me the late catch, stop and start on the final drive on Jewell to get out of bounds was enormous considering we scored. But man thats tough.
Barkley looked like a point guard on that play breaking down his man off the dribble. I haven't seen someone just go man-on-man in the open field against a tackler as solid as Josey Jewell and just eat him alive in as long as I can remember.

ADVERTISEMENT