ADVERTISEMENT

Saquon Barkley

Great for Saquon. I'm no Giants fan, but I'm pleased to see that is his likely landing spot. Despite their woes this past season, it's a good organization and I think Saquon belongs and will thrive in the big city.

Reactions: marshall23
What a awesome young man. Watching him on ESPN with Russell Wilson and he is just such a polite, intelligent, driven young man. Represents himself and our University so well. Wish him a long, healthy, successful career and life in and out of football.

I didn't get to see all of he and Marcus at the Gator Farm but what I saw was pretty funny.
Theres a part where the head guy wants Saquon to throw meat to the gator and he says something like. "I'm going to draw a line in the sand that I don't want you to cross." Barkley looks at him and says "Sand? I'm not going past the fence." LMAO.
That and "but he's got a stick" were just flat out funny.

Reactions: Kmase21
What a awesome young man. Watching him on ESPN with Russell Wilson and he is just such a polite, intelligent, driven young man. Represents himself and our University so well. Wish him a long, healthy, successful career and life in and out of football.

The part that was most impressive was when he was asking Russell Wilson questions about what it takes to be successful at the next level. It just shows that he’s always looking to get better, never resting on his laurels. Also, when they showed him all the compliments he was getting from the draft gurus, and he just said there’s always going to be people praising you and always people trying to take you down, and that he never lets it get to him.

Great for Saquon. I'm no Giants fan, but I'm pleased to see that is his likely landing spot. Despite their woes this past season, it's a good organization and I think Saquon belongs and will thrive in the big city.
Yeah, I hope that is his landing spot.

Giant fans will love his NYC background, his family connection to boxer Iran Barkley, and his overall style. Not to mention his great ability!

Reactions: PSUoh90
Watching it now, very impressive. I always liked Russell Wilson, a class act and very down to earth. Those 2 would be fun to watch in the same backfield.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
I don't know how Barkley can be universally considered the best player coming out of college football, but didn't get more Heisman votes. I'm not suggesting that there is a conspiracy, but the criteria seems out of whack to me.

I don't know how Barkley can be universally considered the best player coming out of college football, but didn't get more Heisman votes. I'm not suggesting that there is a conspiracy, but the criteria seems out of whack to me.

Baker Mayfield had a better offensive line. When Northwestern shut down Barkley, they laid the blueprint for how to do it. And PSU coaches never really seemed to figure it out except to use Barkley more as a decoy.

Is there one clear cut QB in this draft that's better than another? I tend to side with Steve Jones in saying the Browns would be fools to pass on Saquon at 1. What's the worse they would get, the third QB in the draft at 4?

Reactions: Sullivan
Baker Mayfield had a better offensive line. When Northwestern shut down Barkley, they laid the blueprint for how to do it. And PSU coaches never really seemed to figure it out except to use Barkley more as a decoy.
I have never seen a defense key so much on a player as I did Barkley. I recall seeing the entire linebacker group go with Barkley on a fake with Iowa, NW, tOSU, Sparty and Rutgers.

In addition, the national press doesn't know the details. Most sports talkers, here in CLE, have no idea that PSU was so challenged on the OL last season. There was a perceptible difference in our OL when a guy got hurt in the third quarter against tOSU.

Is there one clear cut QB in this draft that's better than another? I tend to side with Steve Jones in saying the Browns would be fools to pass on Saquon at 1. What's the worse they would get, the third QB in the draft at 4?

But that may not be the one that they want. I understand what your saying that if they think that all the QBs are the same then you take Barkley at 1 and whichever QB is there at 4 you take. But if they feel that 1 or 2 of the QBs in their evaluations are the best then do you take that gamble?

We all love Barkley, but as we all know there are no guarantees in the NFL draft look at Kijana Carter. Also if you are the Browns you have to look at value of the picks and career life of the positions and the depth of the positions.

Again the Browns can take their favorite QB at 1 and then take the DE Chubb at 4 and then take arguably the 2nd to 4th best RB at the top of the second round. If they get Guice, Chubb, Or Sony Micheal at the top of the second they are still getting a really good RB.

But that may not be the one that they want. I understand what your saying that if they think that all the QBs are the same then you take Barkley at 1 and whichever QB is there at 4 you take. But if they feel that 1 or 2 of the QBs in their evaluations are the best then do you take that gamble?

We all love Barkley, but as we all know there are no guarantees in the NFL draft look at Kijana Carter. Also if you are the Browns you have to look at value of the picks and career life of the positions and the depth of the positions.

Again the Browns can take their favorite QB at 1 and then take the DE Chubb at 4 and then take arguably the 2nd to 4th best RB at the top of the second round. If they get Guice, Chubb, Or Sony Micheal at the top of the second they are still getting a really good RB.

Agree...Browns with take a QB at 1. However, they are nuts if they pass on Barkley at 4, IMHO. There is a HUGE drop off from Barkley to the consensus #2, Guice (and the rest). I've not seen a back like Barkley since the "west coast" offense came into vogue. In addition, probably the only are not of need for the Browns, is DE. Not only do they have Garret, they've got a darn good DE on the other side (Ogbah).

Agree...Browns with take a QB at 1. However, they are nuts if they pass on Barkley at 4, IMHO. There is a HUGE drop off from Barkley to the consensus #2, Guice (and the rest). I've not seen a back like Barkley since the "west coast" offense came into vogue. In addition, probably the only are not of need for the Browns, is DE. Not only do they have Garret, they've got a darn good DE on the other side (Ogbah).

I agree in general with your assessment, but i would be willing to bet that because of the value that the NFL has place on RBs that the Browns are thinking that Barkley is special but Guice or Sony are both good to Really good and that one or both maybe available at the 33 pick of the draft.

So then by your evaluation of their DE position would they take CB Ward? Or G Nelson or trade down to Buffalo? I think these all have merit. If the Browns love their DEs then trade with Buffalo get an extra 1 next year, and take a really good player at 12. They could get a great LB or an CB. And still take a good RB in the second.

Two of the best RBs in last years drafts were selected outside the first rounds. The KC RB from Toledo and the Saints RB from Tenn.

So i think that Browns will be able to get a really good RB in the second. And this is in no means a knock at all on Barkley

I agree in general with your assessment, but i would be willing to bet that because of the value that the NFL has place on RBs that the Browns are thinking that Barkley is special but Guice or Sony are both good to Really good and that one or both maybe available at the 33 pick of the draft.

So then by your evaluation of their DE position would they take CB Ward? Or G Nelson or trade down to Buffalo? I think these all have merit. If the Browns love their DEs then trade with Buffalo get an extra 1 next year, and take a really good player at 12. They could get a great LB or an CB. And still take a good RB in the second.

Two of the best RBs in last years drafts were selected outside the first rounds. The KC RB from Toledo and the Saints RB from Tenn.

So i think that Browns will be able to get a really good RB in the second. And this is in no means a knock at all on Barkley

I love Barkley and would take him on my team in a nano second. That being said there are some very good RB's in this draft. I would not criticize any organization that would trade down to get any of the "other" backs.

Reactions: Rollin Stone

Agree...but we are splitting hairs on what should be done versus what we expect will be done. I agree, I don't see the Browns drafting Barkley at 4, if he's there, based on Dorsey's record. On the other hand, we've seen the impact RB's have as the world has changed. RB's no longer take the pounding that they once did and as Defenses gear up to stop the pass, they become vulnerable to the run.

Reactions: Rollin Stone
I was planning on starting an Official Draft prediction / 1st round thread on Thursday am.

I really think that Barkley place in the draft depends on who the Browns select at 1. If the Browns take Sam Darnold at 1 i think the Giants will take Barkley. If the Browns take Josh Allen, then i think that there is a really good chance that the Giants will take Darnold at 2.

I heard a stat the other day that of the projected QB starters this year in the NFL, 20 were drafted in the first round and 24 of the 32 were drafted in the first or second round.

I have always loved the draft, just like the intrigue of it and the surprises.

Reactions: Kmase21
I have never seen a defense key so much on a player as I did Barkley. I recall seeing the entire linebacker group go with Barkley on a fake with Iowa, NW, tOSU, Sparty and Rutgers.

In addition, the national press doesn't know the details. Most sports talkers, here in CLE, have no idea that PSU was so challenged on the OL last season. There was a perceptible difference in our OL when a guy got hurt in the third quarter against tOSU.
No better example of this then this replay of a TM touchdown against UM. I've never seen an entire LB unit follow one player like this.

The country is discovering what PSU fans have known for a few years -- he's a great player and a great person.

He'll represent PSU well on a big stage.
That's just what PSU players do, not just Saquon!

I don't know who these guys are as to qualifications to predict, but I hope the Browns do as the majority seem to think they will. Four have SQ going to NY and three to top recruit hell. Kijana suffered what may have been a career devastating knee injury in preseason with another Ohio team. I can only hope SQ is not in Ohio at the end of this week.

30171597_10214571494374736_7173006511272799328_o.jpg

I think the Browns is a better long term fit for SB. Browns have a great offensive line, decent receivers and a average D. They are looking for a future QB, but Taylor will suffice for a couple of years.
The Giants (and Colts) have horrible o-lines and will be looking for new QB's 8n a year or two. Receiving corp's for the Giants is good, but ODell is not going to be there after this upcoming season, imo.

The Browns have a very good chance of being around .500 in 2018 even without counting the Draft.

I would say we should leave it to the professionals, but it is the Browns.:)

That’s really poor coaching on defense. How can you have all of your line backers and a safety follow one guy? Not one of those players stayed home.
As psuro pointed out, NW basically schemed 3 LBs or 2 LBs/1 S to follow SB and played man on the other four "skill players". It mostly worked with SB getting only 75 rush (53 on one play) and 9 receive yards. It seemed teams didn't mind giving up 300 pass yards and get blown out provided they shut down SB. This worked for everyone except Neb (who had an awful defense) and produced losses when TM had an "off game" against O$U (only 192 yards passing) and MSU (three INTs).

Geez, yeah. Barry Sanders. Billy Sims. OJ. Staubach.

I know the joke's on me for answering a rhetorical question, but, you know, sometimes the Downtown Athletic Club does get it right.
Okay, someone in the past 30 years?! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT