ADVERTISEMENT

Sandy Barbour signs onto letter protecting RTCs

that wasn't his point. his point was that if we want to avoid more teams being dropped we need to consider the perspectives of the teams that are most likely to be victims.

rtc's undoubtedly tip the scales in favor of major programs who can afford them, coming from a fan of one of those programs. i don't know how you balance their obvious benefits for USA wrestling with the long term health of college wrestling. we want smaller programs who don't have the ability to fund things like rtc's, no matter how hard they work, to be competitive. a lot of the sentiment i've seen about these schools "not mattering" is callous and short sighted. i won't pretend to have an answer, but it's a valid concern being raised.
I understand his point regarding the current time, but bringing up those numbers might lead some to think that RTCs have played an important part in past loses of programs, which I do not believe is the case. Will it affect the future? That is what matters. How do you address disparate effects due to bigger schools, bigger budgets, more engaged alumni vs. smaller school resources.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
that wasn't his point. his point was that if we want to avoid more teams being dropped we need to consider the perspectives of the teams that are most likely to be victims.

rtc's undoubtedly tip the scales in favor of major programs who can afford them, coming from a fan of one of those programs. i don't know how you balance their obvious benefits for USA wrestling with the long term health of college wrestling. we want smaller programs who don't have the ability to fund things like rtc's, no matter how hard they work, to be competitive. a lot of the sentiment i've seen about these schools "not mattering" is callous and short sighted. i won't pretend to have an answer, but it's a valid concern being raised.
The "have's", for the most part, will always look out for their own interests. So will the "have not's". The "have's" generally have more of a say (more power/authority/whatever). IMO, we need those on both sides that are visionaries and can see "beyond the next quarter" (business lingo for short-sightedness), and set a course of action that is best. Most responses I've read this early are emotional ones. Sit down, discuss, brainstorm, decide.

Reactions: js8793
Northwestern just placed 6th at nationals with < 20-man roster and astronomical tuition. And the Wildcat WC has only 4 athletes -- all on the varsity roster.
NU does very well with financial aid for their student athletes. The one caveat is that the students must be wicked smart. Thank goodness the university does not have the same requirements for the parents.

One thing I'm confused (or just not knowledgeable) about...how "normal" is it for high school aged and younger wrestlers to be practicing at an RTC? I always assumed NLWC was predominately senior level and collegiate guys, with a handful of others (like guys on the Nick Lee/Levi Haines plan). Am I wrong about that? Are there often a bunch of high school and middle school kids there too?

One thing I'm confused (or just not knowledgeable) about...how "normal" is it for high school aged and younger wrestlers to be practicing at an RTC? I always assumed NLWC was predominately senior level and collegiate guys, with a handful of others (like guys on the Nick Lee/Levi Haines plan). Am I wrong about that? Are there often a bunch of high school and middle school kids there too?

Anyone who meets the criteria to practice at an RTC can do so. If you're a World Team member, for example, you can attend an RTC practice.

These are the athlete criteria:

B. Athlete Criteria
:
All wrestlers participating in the RTC practice must meet one of the stated criteria below and must be current athlete
members of USA Wrestling. All RTC athletes must be in good standing with the both the RTC and the RTC host site.

1. Won at least one match at a Senior USAW World or Olympic Team Trials
2. Placed top 8 at USAW Senior Open Championships
3. Placed top 8 at USAW U23 National Championship
4. Placedtop8atUWWJuniorNationalChampionship
5. Placed top 8 at USAW Junior National Championship
6. Placed top 4 at USAW Junior Regional
7. Placed top 8 at USAW 16U National Championship
8. Placed top 8 at UWW Cadet National Championship
9. Placed top 6 at USAW State Junior Freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships
10. Placed top 6 at USAW State 16U Freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships
11. Placed top 4 at USAW Senior Regional
12. Placed top 4 at New York Athletic Club International
13. Placed top 4 at Dave Schultz Memorial International
14. Competed in a Continental Championships/Games, World Championships/Games at any age level
a. 5 year criteria does NOT apply
15. Any veteran athlete who has represented the U.S. within the last two years at the Veteran’s World
Championships or is scheduled to compete at the next world championship event
16. Waivered, first year collegiate athlete who was unable to compete because of USA Wrestling events cancelled
due Covid-19.
17. “Grandfather” clause will apply to any previously RTC rostered athlete who met the “Top 4 Finish at a State
Folkstyle Tournament” criteria. International athletes/coaches who currently represent a country other than the U.S. may attend on a limited basis based on approval of the NGB and RTC. These individuals must be of similar competitive caliber. These individuals may attend on an intermittent basis in order to enhance national team development.

I believe Mark McKnight has been running activities at the NLWC for the very young for some time. There is Youth Programs link off the main NLWC site (though it didn't seem to work for me just now).

I think COVID protocols impacted the youth activities these past couple years.

I believe the NLWC organization contains, but is not limited to solely being, an Olympic RTC.

Anyone who meets the criteria to practice at an RTC can do so. If you're a World Team member, for example, you can attend an RTC practice.

These are the athlete criteria:

B. Athlete Criteria
:
All wrestlers participating in the RTC practice must meet one of the stated criteria below and must be current athlete
members of USA Wrestling. All RTC athletes must be in good standing with the both the RTC and the RTC host site.

1. Won at least one match at a Senior USAW World or Olympic Team Trials
2. Placed top 8 at USAW Senior Open Championships
3. Placed top 8 at USAW U23 National Championship
4. Placedtop8atUWWJuniorNationalChampionship
5. Placed top 8 at USAW Junior National Championship
6. Placed top 4 at USAW Junior Regional
7. Placed top 8 at USAW 16U National Championship
8. Placed top 8 at UWW Cadet National Championship
9. Placed top 6 at USAW State Junior Freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships
10. Placed top 6 at USAW State 16U Freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships
11. Placed top 4 at USAW Senior Regional
12. Placed top 4 at New York Athletic Club International
13. Placed top 4 at Dave Schultz Memorial International
14. Competed in a Continental Championships/Games, World Championships/Games at any age level
a. 5 year criteria does NOT apply
15. Any veteran athlete who has represented the U.S. within the last two years at the Veteran’s World
Championships or is scheduled to compete at the next world championship event
16. Waivered, first year collegiate athlete who was unable to compete because of USA Wrestling events cancelled
due Covid-19.
17. “Grandfather” clause will apply to any previously RTC rostered athlete who met the “Top 4 Finish at a State
Folkstyle Tournament” criteria. International athletes/coaches who currently represent a country other than the U.S. may attend on a limited basis based on approval of the NGB and RTC. These individuals must be of similar competitive caliber. These individuals may attend on an intermittent basis in order to enhance national team development.
My question was less about strict eligibility and more about what a typical day or week looks like.

Above, Clay made a comment about this being an existential danger for RTCs. I'm trying to understand that because, based on what is listed on the NLWC website, that seems (frankly) a bit hyperbolic.

I'll add that I certainly don't dispute the main argument here though...that this proposal will do little to nothing for the competitive balance/parity of NCAA wrestling.

Last edited:
I think it would complicate things, but certainly isn't a death blow to RTCs if it came to pass.

People aren't ONLY coming to NLWC for Cael/Casey; they are coming to NLWC for coaching AND training partners. According to USAW, there are 29 RTCs. FWIW, I used to work at the United States Air Force Academy (#1 on the list) and I never saw any indications of the RTC or knew that it existed until I saw this page. I walked through their training facility once a week, if not more often.

Ironically, DT, Dake and others were in town at USAFA a couple weeks ago. I thought that USAW was just hosting a camp at USAFA; now that I know that they have an RTC there, it makes slightly more sense. I couldn't tell you the name of a current senior level athlete training there, though.

I don't understand why this hasn't been mentioned, but the idea that RTC's create a division between the schools associated with them and those that aren't... It does. But the bigger, newer thing that will widen that gap even more is NIL. The schools with more resources and alumni bases willing to fund great teams will have a greater effect IMO. So this seems like a dog barking up a tree at a squirrel that's in a different tree.

Unlike some here, I like Yianni and think he’s a good kid. Not enough to root for him against our guys, but any confidence he has is well earned. Anyway….

ADVERTISEMENT