ADVERTISEMENT

Sandy Barbour signs onto letter protecting RTCs

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
A new rule proposal from the NCAA would, as I read it, disallow college staff members from coaching at RTCs that prospective athletes attend. Which, to me, would be extremely dangerous to the existence of said RTCs. USAW has since sent a letter to the NCAA urging them to reconsider the proposal and Penn State AD Sandy Barbour is one of five signees.

Explains why Casey turned over the NLWC to JV?
No rule change has been made yet, so not sure about that. But this would, I believe, prohibit coaches from even attending practices with prospective student athletes in a non-official role. Which would be bad and dumb.

Reactions: Hotshoe
A clear case of "dogs in the manger." It helps student athletes by limiting their coaches' focus to them once they are current athletes... puh-lease.

If I read the proposal correctly it is sponsored by two of the smaller conferences (Mid American and SOCON), and the points are it is a recruiting advantage that is detrimental to the sport's integrity and sportsmanship.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
This really sounds like "someone(s)" are upset the HS kids are interacting with RTC coaches which happen to be D1 coaches and this may be swaying their D1 decisions.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I wonder how many (assuming some) MAC or SOCON wrestlers (past or current) participated at some RTC before wrestling in MAC or SOCON?

I wonder whether these student athletes were consulted as to whether their RTC experience was beneficial to the pursuit of their dreams.

Not to jump ahead too many moves, but I could see "Success with Honor" funds provided by a donor to benefit the PSU wrestling team going directly to an off campus RTC that is not affiliated directly with the University.

If such a facility were to become the new norm, it might present an interesting choice for Coach Cael, assuming his participation in the RTC was prohibited as appears proposed.

Coach Cael seems to be about supporting athletes goals. Not sure whether NCAA Championships trumps World and Olympic Championships. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:
If small schools think that nuking RTCs is suddenly going to make them competitive with the sport’s power programs they’re nothing short of delusional.
A quick Google search turned up Cleveland State (MAC) and Tennessee-Chatanooga (SOCON) having RTCs. Not sure whether that's all of them.

Not to jump ahead too many moves, but I could see "Success with Honor" funds provided by a donor to benefit the PSU wrestling team going directly to an off campus RTC that is not affiliated directly with the University.

If such a facility were to become the new norm, it might present an interest choice for Coach Cael, assuming his participation in the RTC was prohibited as appears proposed.

Coach Cael seems to be about supporting athletes goals. Not sure whether NCAA Championships trumps World and Olympic Championships. I hope it doesn't come to that.
He would still be allowed to work with the RTC, just not at practices with the prospective student athletes.

If such a facility were to become the new norm, it might present an interest choice for Coach Cael, assuming his participation in the RTC was prohibited as appears proposed.

Its great that Cael “convinced“ Barbour to be one of the few to sign opposed and I hope this falls flat but I doubt for one second that we dont have a plan B.

Smart for the NCAA Council to pause and review the letter and any other facts/data they have, then move forward with any decisions/votes. We'll see what they do.

Doubt we have ALL the facts on this matter.

That could become a real issue, having a group with a clearly stated purpose of monetizing University athletes, funneling money to an unrelated activity (non-University facilites).

It's exactly the kind of thing that leads to flunked audits (if you're lucky) or graft and lawsuits.

Wrestling is at its most popular. Record crowds (pre-Covid), sold out NCAA’s even at crazy prices, record TV and streaming ratings.
NCAA: “screw it, let’s wreck this model so Tenn-Chatanooga can keep up with Purdue.”
USA Wrestling has a great showing at the Olympics, and at the past few Worlds.

NCAA: let's stunt the development of future world team candidates.

Let's be honest here. The NCAA if given the opportunity would screw up a winning powerball ticket.

The SEC has no skin in this, but the Big10 is certainly positioned well enough to tell the NCAA to sit down and shut up. Of course the Big10 is only going to speak up if Bucknut and the beaver say to do so.

Wrestling is at its most popular. Record crowds (pre-Covid), sold out NCAA’s even at crazy prices, record TV and streaming ratings.
NCAA: “screw it, let’s wreck this model so Tenn-Chatanooga can keep up with Purdue.”
Hell, if UTC (which has an RTC!) could keep up with Purdue it would make sense, but they still won't be able to and it won't be close!

Reactions: nitlion6
The NCAA could always take some of its profits and donate to the schools that need more scholarships and offer to fund RTCs.. Since I’m sure leveling the playing field is what they are looking to accomplish.
I just posted these exact sentiments on Green's twitter thread 10 minutes ago - then deleted, because I just didn't feel like entering the social media fray on this today.

The NCAA could always take some of its profits and donate to the schools that need more scholarships and offer to fund RTCs.. Since I’m sure leveling the playing field is what they are looking to accomplish.
That was good!
You delivered that post without the sarcasm pouring though, it simply seeped. Well done.

Everybody knows the NCAA exists solely for the well-being of the student athletes.😄

Last edited:
That was good!
You delivered that post without the sarcasm pouring though, it simply seeped. Well done.

Everybody knows the NCAA exists solely for the well-being of the student athletes.
Yes , I do believe the NCAA and the PIAA make all their decisions based on what is best for student athletes.😉🤭😉

We went from 220 to 80 due to lack of interest in the sport as a whole and rise of other options in additional to societal changes. This rule won’t fix any of that.

Comparing the current number of DI teams to historical numbers is a red herring. Most program cuts happened well before RTCs came into being. Most program drops appear to have occurred in the late 70s and 80s.

https://www.nwcaonline.com/growing-wrestling/dropped-collegiate-programs/
that wasn't his point. his point was that if we want to avoid more teams being dropped we need to consider the perspectives of the teams that are most likely to be victims.

rtc's undoubtedly tip the scales in favor of major programs who can afford them, coming from a fan of one of those programs. i don't know how you balance their obvious benefits for USA wrestling with the long term health of college wrestling. we want smaller programs who don't have the ability to fund things like rtc's, no matter how hard they work, to be competitive. a lot of the sentiment i've seen about these schools "not mattering" is callous and short sighted. i won't pretend to have an answer, but it's a valid concern being raised.

ADVERTISEMENT