ADVERTISEMENT

Sanderson effect in full force at PSU

I hope HR diehards are aware. The next savior isn't slowing this Dynasty down.

When other collegiate wrestling fans sober up... I still think the stark reality won't allow itself to sink in.

"To all the Division I college wrestling teams out and about this great country, I have sobering news for you: The Penn State/Cael Sanderson dynasty isn’t slowing down. It’s just getting started."

Would Suriano have a better
shot at beating NATO if at 125 this year or vs Lee And or vs Fix in 2 years? Id say vs NATO this year if forced to Wager
The question is exactly reversed: which would have a better shot at beating Suriano?

Also, it's Lee or Fix, not and/or, since the #2 and #3 seeds meet in the semis for the right to face the #1.

Would Suriano have a better
shot at beating NATO if at 125 this year or vs Lee And or vs Fix in 2 years? Id say vs NATO this year if forced to Wager

I have so much respect for all four that to pick one just seems like a slight to the others accomplishments, which arent even modest, heck they are world beaters. but like you said if forced to wager Nato probably would have the line.

I hope HR diehards are aware. The next savior isn't slowing this Dynasty down.

When other collegiate wrestling fans sober up... I still think the stark reality won't allow itself to sink in.

"To all the Division I college wrestling teams out and about this great country, I have sobering news for you: The Penn State/Cael Sanderson dynasty isn’t slowing down. It’s just getting started."

How couldn't they be? PSU has won 6 out of the last 7 titles and recruiting is just getting better.

The wrestling team makes it statement on the mats, there is not a lot else that needs to be said in terms of pumping up how good the team is. Some of our fans have become as insufferable as Iowa fans used to be rubbing people's noses in it. Why are you concerned with making sure they acknowledge what everybody already knows?

I've got no problem with your exuberant fandom at all. Just no need to direct it at people in order to rub it in.

I would guess that some time in the future (yes, I realize it may not be that near) that we will be getting the same treatment as the Iowa fans.

Last edited:
I have so much respect for all four that to pick one just seems like a slight to the others accomplishments, which arent even modest, heck they are world beaters. but like you said if forced to wager Nato probably would have the line.
I'm picking Nick. He's got the strength and stamina to counter NATO - especially a sucked out NATO

Reactions: NittanyLion84
How couldn't they be? PSU has won 6 out of the last 7 titles and recruiting is just getting better.

The wrestling team makes it statement on the mats, there is not a lot else that needs to be said in terms of pumping up how good the team is. Some of our fans have become as insufferable as Iowa fans used to be rubbing people's noses in it. Why are you concerned with making sure they acknowledge what everybody already knows?

I would guess that some time in the future (yes, I realize it may not be that near) that we will be getting the same treatment as the Iowa fans.

Yep. Gotta be careful. The last time Iowa won a championship, Brands had the #1 recruiting class the same year and followed that up with the #1 recruiting class two years later (2010 and 2012). A lot of people might have thought Iowa was penciled in as champs for the next 7 years. The 2012 #1 class just finished up and there have been zero championships in that span (with only one runnerup position as a team). So, to borrow an expression from my hometown area, don't get too big for your britches. If you are going to gloat, do it after you are told you can't win and you do win.

Reactions: Lyons212

Insufferable as Bael... bailed on Iowa State, slush fund... Ped State... Bringing up Jerry Sandusky at the drop of another Championship. Yeah... I'll not so sure they agree with you that the success is all derived on the mat or feel so flowery as you do. And we get insufferable behavior now... with Iowa winning nothing. But by all means, be a naive purist, I mean idealist and be insufferable.

And evidently not all opposing fans are aware. And as the piece stated, the dynasty doesn't seem to have any near term shelf life and maybe you should reread the last statement from the writer... He was giving opposing fans a very sobering message he felt they weren't aware of. That's in your face and I'm okay with that as much as Zain bending his NCAA semifinal opponent & finals opponent in half or Frank Molinaro smiling as he rearranged Dylan Ness's face and I hope opposing fan bases aren't offended by their treatment of their wrestler. It's a person's prerogative to do as they must. So don't give yourself a fist to the head and be... insufferable.

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
Insufferable as Bael... bailed on Iowa State, slush fund... Ped State... Bringing up Jerry Sandusky at the drop of another Championship. Yeah... I'll not so sure they agree with you that the success is all derived on the mat or feel so flowery as you do. But by all means, be a naive purist, I mean idealist and be insufferable.

And evidently not all opposing fans are aware. And as the piece stated, the dynasty doesn't seem to have any near term shelf life and maybe you should reread the last statement from the writer... He was giving opposing fans a very sobering message he felt they weren't aware of. That's in your face and I'm okay with that as much as Zain bending his NCAA semifinal opponent & finals opponent in half or Frank Molinaro smiling as he rearranged Dylan Ness's face. It's a person's prerogative to do as they must. So don't give yourself a fist to the head and be... insufferable.

Why is it so important to you that other fan bases acknowledge or otherwise be aware of the success of PSU Wrestling? Is it not enough to just know it yourself?

Why is it so important to you that other fan bases acknowledge or otherwise be aware of the success of PSU Wrestling? Is it not enough to just know it yourself?
That's what the article was about. Exulting in Penn States success. Maybe you should reread it. It was wrote for the masses to be aware also.

Reactions: lionlover
That's what the article was about. Exulting in Penn States success. Maybe you should reread it. It was wrote for the masses to be aware also.
It was written in a local paper whose audience is a wide group of people, many who can be assumed are not avid wrestling fans and may not be aware of the state school's prowess in the sport. When you direct things at the HR or other wrestling fan bases, you can assume all are aware of PSU's prowess.

For lots of people winning isn't about drinking champagne, it's about drinking the blood of your enemies. But wrestling is all about compartmentalized conflict--after which you shake hands and leave it on the mat. Wrestling fans could learn a lot from watching wrestling.

Yep. Gotta be careful. The last time Iowa won a championship, Brands had the #1 recruiting class the same year and followed that up with the #1 recruiting class two years later (2010 and 2012). A lot of people might have thought Iowa was penciled in as champs for the next 7 years. The 2012 #1 class just finished up and there have been zero championships in that span (with only one runnerup position as a team). So, to borrow an expression from my hometown area, don't get too big for your britches. If you are going to gloat, do it after you are told you can't win and you do win.
Exactly. Recruiting rankings are great, on paper. Yes they do give you a reason to be excited and optimistic, the coaching staff has done a great job identifying and developing talent.

With that being said, out of the top 10 recruits for the 2013 class, Jimmy Gulibon had the second best college career. This is not meant as a knock of Jimmy who had a solid career, but if the majority of these elite recruits that Cael is bringing him have Jimmy type careers, PSU will not be dominating the college wrestling scene.

Maybe you should reread my question. You didn't answer it.

For lots of people winning isn't about drinking champagne, it's about drinking the blood of your enemies. But wrestling is all about compartmentalized conflict--after which you shake hands and leave it on the mat. Wrestling fans could learn a lot from watching wrestling.

There is no bad time to recall Claude The Fraud Lemieux.

To be fair, the total lack of class from a lot of Iowa fans as their dynasty unraveled and the things they said during the process, from ridiculous to downright venomous, left a really bitter taste in a lot of mouths - especially since instead of acknowledging the speciousness of their positions, they just moved onto similarly specious arguments. And with the bitter taste in your mouth, it's really tempting to spit it out on the source.

I truly hope that when Penn State's run at the top is over (hopefully sometime well in the future), we as fans can just appreciate the run and acknowledge the worthiness of the successor a lot better than did the Iowa folks. In the meantime, I am going to try to enjoy it while it's happening and understand the special and unusual nature of the process. Penn State wrestling fans in this time are blessed and lucky.

To be fair, the total lack of class from a lot of Iowa fans as their dynasty unraveled and the things they said during the process, from ridiculous to downright venomous, left a really bitter taste in a lot of mouths - especially since instead of acknowledging the speciousness of their positions, they just moved onto similarly specious arguments. And with the bitter taste in your mouth, it's really tempting to spit it out on the source.

I truly hope that when Penn State's run at the top is over (hopefully sometime well in the future), we as fans can just appreciate the run and acknowledge the worthiness of the successor a lot better than did the Iowa folks. In the meantime, I am going to try to enjoy it while it's happening and understand the special and unusual nature of the process. Penn State wrestling fans in this time are blessed and lucky.
Blessed to have Cael....Is is an unbelievable human being for those who have gotten to know him.....Great staff too...Hope after the Oly DT joins the staff too....He is a younger version of Cael...Same beliefs and morals....

Hey PSU fans are not innocent, however, at some point even posters like IAChief and Minnhawkeye have become extensively negative in recent months IMO. The actual hatred is palpable. I remember in the 80's how much respect I have for Iowa, now I think I respect tOSU and OSU more.

Hey PSU fans are not innocent, however, at some point even posters like IAChief and Minnhawkeye have become extensively negative in recent months IMO. The actual hatred is palpable. I remember in the 80's how much respect I have for Iowa, now I think I respect tOSU and OSU more.
Just trying to focus on Cael....We are experiencing something i think most of us take for granted...There will be movies made of him and PSU years down the road....We should NEVER take him and this staff for granted.....They are a once in a lifetime crew for real...I could care less about what anyone else thinks....They are not stupid...Everyone in the country knows he and this staff are VERY VERY SPECIAL.....It would be a dream come true to be coached by them....

Just trying to focus on Cael....We are experiencing something i think most of us take for granted...There will be movies made of him and PSU years down the road....We should NEVER take him and this staff for granted.....They are a once in a lifetime crew for real...I could care less about what anyone else thinks....They are not stupid...Everyone in the country knows he and this staff are VERY VERY SPECIAL.....It would be a dream come true to be coached by them....

Is Joe Pesci going to play Cael in the movie?

ADVERTISEMENT