ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Stoll Shot! Not Life Threatening Thank Goodness

Summer b4 senior year in HS and 3 friends and I were playing what we jokingly called tennis on at the HS courts and 2 freaking clowns several years older were pissing around in the woods below the court area and popped a couple shots at the school. One I heard whiz past me and they all ricocheted off the building. One of my buddies (Mark) and i just raced into the woods. Mark laid an unmerciful beating on the one dickhead and I caught the ducebag with the 22 rifle and took the freaking gun and ended up throwing the sunofabitch in the creek, in pieces.

I remember thinking afterwards about how pissed I had been, but once I calmed down the realization of what nearly happened sickened me to my stomach.

Brands release is a little more ominous (successful surgery) than a graze wound:

"Sam Stoll underwent successful surgery yesterday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and has since been released. He is doing well and that is great news. His health was our number one concern. We are still gathering information and once the police investigation is complete we will follow all University and Athletics Department code of conduct policies."

Brands release is a little more ominous (successful surgery) than a graze wound:

"Sam Stoll underwent successful surgery yesterday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and has since been released. He is doing well and that is great news. His health was our number one concern. We are still gathering information and once the police investigation is complete we will follow all University and Athletics Department code of conduct policies."

Exactly. Why the one day stay? The young man just got shot in the knee and they needed surgery, so they sew him up and say "on your way lad"?

$$$$$, that's what they're about. Not the long term care of people

If he had surgery we know it wasn't superficial that would have required cleaning wound site, with appropriate stitches, tetanus shot an IV antibiotic with PO script yo take home.

Surgery means they cut into to either clean out wound or to repair. A tetanus shot, IV antibiotic pre and post op. Post surgical, if pain is controlled, vitals are stable and complication possibilities are minimal there would be need to keep him for multiple days. Send him home with a po antibiotic and something for breakthrough pain.

I hate to say it, but you knew something like this was going to happen when they didn't renew the contract several years ago of the fire arm / hunter safety coordinator, and they cancelled the on-campus classes, "Learn to hunt Rabbit like Elmer Fudd." Zaddick would had those boys educated on the proper use of fire arms.

I, too, hope for a full recovery for the young man as he heads towards his Senior season.

As for the incident itself, cause and accountability will follow. As a parent and safety professional, several layers of this are dumbfounding. Glad it wasn't worse, given the small amount of details in the story.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Dogwelder
Yikes! Stoll was just charged with making false statements to the police. Injury aside I think he will get suspended now and Cassiopi will get the nod, earlier than planned. I am not so sure Cassi isn't just as good as a true freshman. So the personal impact great, the team impact a blip at best.

Yikes! Stoll was just charged with making false statements to the police. Injury aside I think he will get suspended now and Cassiopi will get the nod, earlier than planned. I am not so sure Cassi isn't just as good as a true freshman. So the personal impact great, the team impact a blip at best.

I doubt he misses the season. He lied to protect a friend, not to cover up any criminal activity. I'm a little surprised they filed charges against him.

I doubt he misses the season. He lied to protect a friend, not to cover up any criminal activity. I'm a little surprised they filed charges against him.
Well, let’s ignore for a minute that the story says Police do not know who fired the shot. So, they’re getting stonewalled??? Multiple shooters shooting at him??? (The latter is a joke of course). So I guess no one cares who the idiot was who shot him?

And how is shooting a person, even if unintentional, not a crime? The Model Penal Code, used in many states though I don’t know the Iowa criminal code, covers various types of culpability including reckless or negligent behavior.

Last edited:
Well, let’s ignore for a minute that the story says Police do not know who fired the shot. So, they’re getting stonewalled??? Multiple shooters shooting at him??? (The latter is a joke of course). So I guess no one cares who the idiot was who shot him?

And how is shooting a person, even if unintentional, not a crime? The Model Penal Code, used in many states though I don’t know the Iowa criminal code, covers various types of culpability including reckless or negligent behavior.

I spoke loosely. There are certainly criminal statutes under which an individual who negligently discharges a firearm and injures another person can be charged. Under the circumstances that I am assuming (friendly fire; no intent to harm; likely no intent to actually pull the trigger), it is unlikely that criminal charges would be pursued. See the linked article, which contains this quote from a Chief Assistant State Attorney: "If you're just being careless with a gun and it goes off, that's not a crime."

https://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2016/12/accidental-discharge-of-a-firearm-criminal-charges.html

I spoke loosely. There are certainly criminal statutes under which an individual who negligently discharges a firearm and injures another person can be charged. Under the circumstances that I am assuming (friendly fire; no intent to harm; likely no intent to actually pull the trigger), it is unlikely that criminal charges would be pursued. See the linked article, which contains this quote from a Chief Assistant State Attorney: "If you're just being careless with a gun and it goes off, that's not a crime."

https://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2016/12/accidental-discharge-of-a-firearm-criminal-charges.html
Thanks. Will depend on state law then, but looks like they’re not interested in additional charges. Was googling on the subject but had to leave work. Since I’m a commercial lawyer by day, I like to leave my work where it belongs - at work. Much more fun outside work hours to google “Betsy Russell” “side boob” than to go on findlaw

Sam is a man's man. Probably didn't wanna make anything bigger than it was, and is gonna get shafted because of it. Slap him on the wrist like the kids who get caught drinking underage and hand you a fake ID and move on.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Sam is a man's man. Probably didn't wanna make anything bigger than it was, and is gonna get shafted because of it. Slap him on the wrist like the kids who get caught drinking underage and hand you a fake ID and move on.
Drinking underage and accidentally discharging a firearm and shooting a bud (probably under the influence) are not equivalents.
Just saying.

Thanks. Will depend on state law then, but looks like they’re not interested in additional charges. Was googling on the subject but had to leave work. Since I’m a commercial lawyer by day, I like to leave my work where it belongs - at work. Much more fun outside work hours to google “Betsy Russell” “side boob” than to go on findlaw
If Sam can't do cardio and power lifts for a while due to healing leg - Sam, being a big boy may be able to offer some side boob.

Reactions: bowandarrow
Drinking underage and accidentally discharging a firearm and shooting a bud (probably under the influence) are not equivalents.
Just saying.
Stoll isn't charged with discharging a firearm and shooting a bud. He's charged with lying about it because he doesn't want to press charges against his friend.

Stoll isn't charged with discharging a firearm and shooting a bud. He's charged with lying about it because he doesn't want to press charges against his friend.
Yeah I got that. My point was more the significance of each situation.
In Stoll's case he was the victim of the gun shot, but some dumb ass discharged the weapon. Him giving false statements regarding the whole thing is just not the same as underage drinking.

Reactions: dbldoofus

I don't think that Sam would "press charges against his friend". There may be laws in Iowa City... unlawful discharge of a weapon within the city limits, Or was the discharge of the weapon on campus (seems to be a change of story about where the accident took place). I would think that these would be more likely. Sure the U of I frowns on weapons on campus. Just my thoughts.

Yeah I got that. My point was more the significance of each situation.
In Stoll's case he was the victim of the gun shot, but some dumb ass discharged the weapon. Him giving false statements regarding the whole thing is just not the same as underage drinking.
Amazing how blasé people are about a kid getting shot in his residence. Not like we don’t having a massive gun problem in this country. Criminals gunning down scores of people in major cities nightly, random psychos periodically going off and using guns to get their point across, accidental shootings by the truckload annually. Not to mention several toddlers a year blowing their heads off because daddy forgot to secure his freaking firearm. Just mind-blowing how crazy our gun culture is right now. I’m no gun control zealot, but we are out of control at present.

Imagine if this was some unknown teammate who winged Nolf.

Well... it depends where. Ask Plaxico Burress.

Amazing how blasé people are about a kid getting shot in his residence. Not like we don’t having a massive gun problem in this country. Criminals gunning down scores of people in major cities nightly, random psychos periodically going off and using guns to get their point across, accidental shootings by the truckload annually. Not to mention several toddlers a year blowing their heads off because daddy forgot to secure his freaking firearm. Just mind-blowing how crazy our gun culture is right now. I’m no gun control zealot, but we are out of control at present.

Imagine if this was some unknown teammate who winged Nolf.

Now Now..…..This could have been avoided if Stoll's knee had a gun.

I don't think that Sam would "press charges against his friend". There may be laws in Iowa City... unlawful discharge of a weapon within the city limits, Or was the discharge of the weapon on campus (seems to be a change of story about where the accident took place). I would think that these would be more likely. Sure the U of I frowns on weapons on campus. Just my thoughts.
Iowa City and the University of Iowa are not victims. Chances are it didn't happen on campus since it was at an apartment -- though that's still a non-sequitur.

And it's not like Stoll's lie caused an innocent person to face criminal charges. At most he impeded a police investigation into being a dumbass.

I don't condone the shooting or the lying, just putting it into perspective. The worst thing that comes of it is if the injury is worse than reported and his wrestling career is over.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
And it's not like Stoll's lie caused an innocent person to face criminal charges. At most he impeded a police investigation into being a dumbass.
More like his lie prevented, or intended to prevent, a potentially guilty person from facing criminal charges, which is obstruction of justice.

The underlying incident involved a "prank" with a gun that somehow managed to discharge without actually killing someone, the seriousness of which Stoll evidently failed to appreciate because he followed that incident up by naively thinking he could get away with lying to investigators about it. Your definition of dumbassery is more generous than mine; that term to be minimizes what happened here. And it's not as if he's just out of high school, he's been at Iowa four years and looks nearly as old as Jarod Verkleeren.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Isn't lying to law enforcement a felony? Ironic since he will lose his rights to possess a firearm if convicted

More like his lie prevented, or intended to prevent, a potentially guilty person from facing criminal charges, which is obstruction of justice.

The underlying incident involved a "prank" with a gun that somehow managed to discharge without actually killing someone, the seriousness of which Stoll evidently failed to appreciate because he followed that incident up by naively thinking he could get away with lying to investigators about it. Your definition of dumbassery is more generous than mine; that term to be minimizes what happened here. And it's not as if he's just out of high school, he's been at Iowa four years and looks nearly as old as Jarod Verkleeren.
The only victim in the entire incident is Stoll himself.

Obstruction of justice for whom? Stoll is the victim.

My read on this is the gun wasn’t part of a prank, per se. The prank probably was to startle or confuse somebody, who reacted by pulling a gun, not knowing what he was up against. The prankster(s) didn’t want the subject of the prank to get in trouble, and lied. The lie was discovered, a new story was told, and deemed true. LE said the shooter didn’t break a law, but Sam did.

Nobody knew the gun was coming out due to the prank. Just my take.

The only victim in the entire incident is Stoll himself.

Obstruction of justice for whom? Stoll is the victim.
When the state investigates a possible crime they do so not on behalf of the victim but on behalf of the people of the state. The caption resulting from such an investigation would not be Sam Stoll's Friend v. Sam Stoll, it'd be The People of Iowa v. Sam Stoll. You're conflating civil and criminal.

Reactions: fortheglory94
ADVERTISEMENT